post #91 of 990 Old 03-30-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

I am curious that you felt the CS6 had worse midrange than the 3.6. Is it possible that you were sitting "too close" to the CS6? When I was listening, the CS6 was mighty fine, but I had to sit more than 8' away

The 3.6/3.7 was nice in that I had to only sit about 7 feet away.

No, distance was not an issue there's a subtle colouration in the 6es mids that you don't hear in the 3.6. I am tempted to blame it on the co-ax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 990 Old 03-30-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
3.7's are the bomb. I have a pair on backorder like half the country!

I have not taken my 7.2s out of the crate yet maybe I can get my kids (20&17) to help out dear old dad...

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #93 of 990 Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 PM

When I auditioned my 7.2's I listened to the CS6 and the 2.4's at the same time and there was something definitely lacking with the 6's -- looking back on it now I can't really say what the problem was with the CS6 but it just seemed to lack that rich seamless 20 Hz to 20KHz sound the 7.2's had (if that makes any sense).
post #94 of 990 Old 04-14-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news!

The CS 3.7's should start shipping the last week of April.

There are 200+ pair on backorder, most are customer orders since there are not many Thiel dealers out there.

I'd tried bribing my rep to move me up the ladder but no go...

This product should be a home run for Thiel!

BTW Thiel and McIntosh won Best Sounding Room at EHX.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles

post #95 of 990 Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 PM

I am using a pair of Thiel CS1.2 speakers (bought in 1993) for audio, and am slowly constructing a home theatre system. So far, I have bought a Cambridge Audio A/V Reciever, which I use to switch between audio, DVD and DISH network. The CA receiver powers the Thiels quite nicely, and they still sound pretty good. For now, I am using a Pinnacle center channel speaker on loan from a dealer to try out, though it is certainly not a perfect match to the Thiels.

But I really need to decide on what is next - do I keep my ancient Thiels? Because of their age, should they become the rear channel speakers instead of the primary speakers? What reasonably priced center channel and subwoofer will work with the Thiels?

I am probably not the first person trying to update his audio system to HT. Any ideas or experiences would be welcome..
post #96 of 990 Old 04-15-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The SCS4 will start shipping in June.

LCR or surround duty depending on room size and amplification.

MSRP: under $1,000.00 each.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles

post #97 of 990 Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM

I have an 2.4 and got an SS1 yesterday and have some questions.
My vendor gave me a unbranded XLR interconnect to use with the XO, should I get a better one? Any suggestions e.g brand/length?
Is there a run-in period for the Sub?
post #98 of 990 Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rab,

I'd place the "XO" (assuming passive crossover) close to my electronics.

As far as "XLR" (balanced line cable) that is for noise reduction and long runs.

Frankly I've not used the Thiel sub I use JL Audio therefore I cannot comment of SS1 break in nor set up. If the dealer cannot give you the advise or guidance you thing you need (I bet they can given the chance) I'd call Gary Dayton at Thiel.

Next to JT himself Gary is fantastic to work with!

Mike Miles

post #99 of 990 Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Mmiles, thanks for the advice. I did ask the dealer and he could not find anything in the manual. I don't think its particularly important enough to ask anyone at Thiel. I guess I asked because everything sounds so tight and very right and I think I need some time to get used to what real sub bass sounds and feels like.
I am really begining to appreciate the 2.4s even more and only now realise how much of a difference the SS1 makes to the imaging and overall tonal balance.

At first I thought that I was spending a lot of money for just 1/2 an octave but I was indeed surprised to find that I have a lot of music that actually use that 1/2 octave. Yesterday I played music by Peter White, Govi and Norman Brown and they have never ever sounded as good as this before.
post #100 of 990 Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 PM

RabPaul - wish I could provide the source, possibly on the Thiel website ... anyway I've read that high quality interconnects are not necessary for use with the passive crossover.
Your observations of the sub echo mine and others. What'smore, it will only better.
post #101 of 990 Old 04-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Thanks Shipper, I am now using an old Monster Cable M1000 XLR which I got from a friend. Yes I have noticed that everything is getting better.
post #102 of 990 Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 PM

can anyone speak to the difference between the cs1.5 and the replacement 1.6 in sound quality or tonal characteristics? i used to be in biz and sold thiels. the cs7's had just come out at the time, then they were upgraded to the 7.2's if i recall correctly. at the time, i preferred them in this order: 3.6's, 1.5's, 2.2's. i reserved judgement on the 7 series as i was just exiting the business and perhaps their price skewed my initial impressions - thinking something like "with a speaker like the 3.6, there's no need to get anything more expensive".

i ended up buying a pair of 1.5's and well just loved them to death. it seems they excelled with any type of amplification and source material. heck i ended up using ps audio mono amps and rotel pre-amp and cd player with them in my system.

i've recently listened (in store) to other speakers and generally have become dismayed at the way speaker design has gone, from 90 1" drivers to 1 4" driver systems. while each has their strong points - life-size sound, deep extended bass, cyrstal clear voices or highs, it just seems like it's harder to find a speaker that is as kind to variety in music as i remember with the thiels.

for reference, i really liked meridian dsp5000's. b&w 800 series at the time (mid 90's) seemed sometimes too hollow or sterile although the little silver signatures i thought were one of the best sounding speakers i've ever heard. but whatever, the thiels were just my _preference_ in sound though they all were great.

so i was thinking about the 1.6 but wanted to know if anyone has had experience with both the old and new?
post #103 of 990 Old 04-28-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't speak for the old but the new (CS 1.6) are fantastic and a great value.

For a small to mid size room you can't go wrong.

Excellent midrange and highs but bass is lacking somewhat but it's a small cabinet with a smaller woofer of course.

Imaging and soundstage could be a bit wider but my room is to large (14.5 x 22.5) for this fella IMHO.

Again for the MSRP of $2,990.00 I think anyone will be happy with the 1.6!

But if you have a few more bucks that is just burning a hole in your pocket do yourself a favor and listen to the CS 3.7s once available. WOW...

BTW, "a few more bucks that is buring a hole in your pocket" = $9K. Now that's a nice pocket.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles

post #104 of 990 Old 04-28-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Excellent midrange and highs but bass is lacking somewhat but it's a small cabinet with a smaller woofer of course.

Imaging and soundstage could be a bit wider but my room is to large (14.5 x 22.5) for this fella IMHO.

But if you have a few more bucks that is just burning a hole in your pocket do yourself a favor and listen to the CS 3.7s once available. WOW...

BTW, "a few more bucks that is buring a hole in your pocket" = $9K. Now that's a nice pocket.

Regards,
Mike

Hah, i was about to say, your definition of "few" is quite liberal

The 3.7s are definitely a treat.
post #105 of 990 Old 04-29-2007, 12:55 AM

thanks for the feedback. honestly the bass of the 1.5 was enough for me in most situations, although i did consider the 3.6 to a "real speaker" in terms of bass from what i've read i think the 1.6 has a tiny little bit less bass extension, perhaps from the switch to the port instead of the passive radiator? but it seems like a minuscule difference. i think i'll have a go to my nearest dealer and listen.

p.s. - a few more bucks?! i like your attitude towards money hahaha!

Quote:

Regards,
Mike

post #106 of 990 Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A "middle ground" would be the CS 2.4s.

Mike Miles

post #107 of 990 Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A "middle ground" would be the CS 2.4s.

A might fine speaker as well! Just make sure you can sit at least 6 feet away from it. I almost bought these speakers, but my room is too small and I wasnt able to enjoy them as much in my small room as i did in the dealers larger room
post #108 of 990 Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anyone have any links to more detailed 3.7 reviews ?

I'm still unable to find anything.
post #109 of 990 Old 04-30-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

A might fine speaker as well! Just make sure you can sit at least 6 feet away from it. I almost bought these speakers, but my room is too small and I wasnt able to enjoy them as much in my small room as i did in the dealers larger room

Thiel says minimum should be 8ft apart as well as diagonally to the listener. That even applies to the 1.6. You would want to have more space 3-4ft rear and side walls too.
post #110 of 990 Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PM,

No official reviews since the product is not shipping yet. I can tell you it did win an Innovations Award at 2007-CES, Best Sound at EHX (demo with McIntosh).

Ayre Acoustics and Simaudio used the CS 3.7 to show off thir higher end products not to mention an awesome demo in the Thiel booth of course.

RAB,

The ideal is not the norm. 3' (side wall) + 8' (apart) + 3' (side wall) + 3' (width of both speakers = 17' wide SPEAKER WALL.

I plan to set up the CS3.7 8' apart and only about 1-2' off the back wall and side wall in a "real world" room with the typical chair or two and loveseat. Not ideal but again many listen to speakers in a treated room and then get home and are very disappointed.

Mike Miles

post #111 of 990 Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 PM

Mmiles,

Agree, ideal is not the norm.
I have followed strickly the minimum distance apart and distance to the listener of 8ft. Thiel insist on this and reviews of the speakers (2.4) also echo this. Thiel just say the speakers need room from the walls to keep from the room adding to the speakers. I too have them much less than recommended and even have a slight toe-in the reduce the side wall influence.
post #112 of 990 Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 PM

A couple of days back a few friends brought over and played music from Queen, Eagles, Meatloaf and I contributed my Grand Funk Railroad Cd and we had a real good time talking about the old days and music as it was.
I was a bit nervous with levels and was thinking that these speakers were not designed for this type of music but I must the Thiels held their own and did really well. I do not know how many of you actually would play Rock on a Thiel but all I can say is a day after that session my whole system sounded better than it ever has.
Don't know if it was the loud levels or maybe the music somehow had given the speakers and sub a good workout but all I can say its highly recommened that you give your system a rock workout. Do be gentle with the volume control.
post #113 of 990 Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabPaul View Post

A couple of days back a few friends brought over and played music from Queen, Eagles, Meatloaf and I contributed my Grand Funk Railroad Cd and we had a real good time talking about the old days and music as it was.
I was a bit nervous with levels and was thinking that these speakers were not designed for this type of music but I must the Thiels held their own and did really well. I do not know how many of you actually would play Rock on a Thiel but all I can say is a day after that session my whole system sounded better than it ever has.
Don't know if it was the loud levels or maybe the music somehow had given the speakers and sub a good workout but all I can say its highly recommened that you give your system a rock workout. Do be gentle with the volume control.

I have found that Rock music isnt very tough on speakers at all.

In order of stressing a speaker out greatest to least...

Pipe organ music, Classical Symphonic, Drum and Bass, General Electronica, Rock, Jazz, Solo instrumental.

The first 2 have huge swings in dynamics. A sudden soft-loud passage can hurt an amp/speaker if it cannot handle the sudden shift of volume. Followed by these types is general "All-out" low bass which, in general, requires quite a bit of amplifier power and driver excursion to reproduce.
post #114 of 990 Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

In my experience Thiel speakers do one thing very well that makes them great for rock music. They play very loud with very low distortion. Most people try to listen to rock music really loud, and most speakers get muddier as they get louder, so the first time you hear rock on a low distortion loud speaker it is a different experience. You hear things in the electric guitar and drums that you didn't experience before (as long as the recording is ok), Thiel does this for sure. Queen is a great example of that, if you listen to them on a Thiel or something with a similar capability that Brian May guitar really starts to sing

I love this stuff!
post #115 of 990 Old 05-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The problem with most recorded music these days, including Rock, is that there isnt much in the way of dynamic range anymore. Most studios engineer recordings so darn loud that they blot out the dynamic range of the songs in the tracks. This kind of loud/bloated and highly distorted stuff doesn't do justice to good speakers that can convey good dynamic range.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #116 of 990 Old 05-06-2007, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The single most dynamic track in my entire collection is "She" by Harry Connick Jr.

Try it ... it's awesome !!
post #117 of 990 Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I would just like to introduce myself, my name is Brad i have a store in S.W. Florida and we just started selling Thiel, and i love it! I am still learning about the product, but am going to training next month. We are a Dynaudio, KEF, Simaudio, Parasound, Arcam, Denon, MIT, StraightWire, and Vidikron dealer, if i can provide any help please let me know... 239-693-0330

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #118 of 990 Old 05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Just read this today in Dealerscope online for anyone interested:

May 10, 2007

Crutchfield Will Offer THIEL Audio Speakers
by Stephen Silver

Crutchfield Corp. announced Wednesday that it has reached a deal with Thiel Audio to carry the company's high-end speaker products both online and in its stores and catalogues. The deal marks the first time that Thiel's products have been available for purchase online.

Crutchfield will carry ten separate models from Thiel, priced as low as $990 to as high as $5,450.

For more information on the products, visit Thiel's Web site at www.thielaudio.com.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #119 of 990 Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well this means that Thiel dealers can keep a secret since this was revealed some months ago.

The good news is it will increase awareness of the Thiel brand and make product available where there are no dealers.

Even though there is potential for some ups and downs at least Thiel is not selling direct or on eBay like some have tried in the past...

In the mean time if there is no dealer near you just send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Still waiting on the CS 3.7s. This without a doubt will be a homerun.

Mike Miles

post #120 of 990 Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Hey Guys, not sure if you Thiel fans will be interested in my final decision, but I thought I would let you know. It's always good to hear different perspectives right?

A few months ago, I contacted Matt at Audio Architect for some advice. He's a huge Dyn, Thiel, and Focal fan and convinced me they were all worth considering. My problem was room limitations. I wanted to do a complete new system in my Family room which was 18 x 16, tile floors, big window, brick fireplace and big mantle, plus my niche was only big enough to fit the tv so I had no room for floor standing speakers. Matt thought the Dyn SRs could work well as wall speakers or maybe a Thiel in ceiling set up would be nice. So, I went in for a demo. I loved dynaudio's since I am a little sensitive to shrill. Listened to the Dynaudio SRs, Focus line, and the 3.4s. Awesome speakers. Then Matt came over and looked at my room and came to the conclusion that we just wouldn't be able to make it work with the dyns due to room limitations.

Next, after many many hours of Matt's educating me and more demos, he recommended a Thiel in cieling set up. Power point 1.2s across the front and higher plane in the rear. Nice stuff for sure. I agreed, He ordered all the gear and he was ready to install it on a Saturday for me. The Friday before, I called him and asked what he thought about changing my room orientation around so I could put the TV on a different wall which would allow room for floor standers. Boy, I think he was more excited than I was. Even though he had done so much work already and could have easily talked me into sticking with the original plan, he didn't. Matt is so passionate about what he does, that he was more than anxious to send every thing back and start over. That was a hard phone call for me to make and Matt couldn't have made me feel better about it. Like Matt said, if I can go with floor standers vs. even the best in ceilings out there, I would be much happier in the end.

Needless to say, we started over and demo'ed some Thiel, Dynaudio, and Focal profile and Electra. Dynaudio was still really nice, so was Thiel, but the focal Electra's just had so much more clarity with their Beryllium tweeters. I was nervous about fatigue, but the electras didn't seem to quite get to that shrill point but still gave you tons of clarity and beautiful highs. True, there is a slight bass sacrafice when compared to Dynaudio, but I think the highs more than make up for it. It was a tough call. Many many more hours with Matt and I finally decided that Focal Electra was it. Sorry guys, I really wanted the Thiels or Dyns to win the battle, but the highs of the focals won me over. Truthfully, either line would have been awesome. Part of it came down to HT considerations and the complete package Focal could offer plus the looks had a little to do with it.

If you guys need help with anything, I would strongly encourage you to talk to Matt. He is a wealth of information and not just out for the sale or the highest margins. He wants you to be happy at all costs. You can trust that he won't sell you something because it's best for his pocket. He has a nice store down here in San Diego. Well worth the drive (if you're in southern California) to check out all his stuff or call and he can hook you up by phone and ship anywhere. Of course, don't just use him for his info and then buy off the internet. That kind of stuff is killing the industry. We have to support the local high end dealer if we want them to be around for us in the future. Remember guys, it's not all just about the cheapest price, it's about knowledge and service. I don't know about you, but paying a few extra bucks for years of knowledge is well worth it. If you want to buy the right gear the first time, talk to and buy from Matt. You won't regret it. This is what he set me up with in the end:

Focal Electra 1027
CC 1000 be Center
SR 1000 be Surrounds
SW 1000 be Sub
Sim audio Aurora 5 (200wpc)
Arcam AVP700
ReQuest music server
URC MX-950 remote
Toshiba HD XA2
Samsung Blu Ray BD-P1200
Zektor MAS 7.1 switch

This setup will blow your mind.

It's not completely set up yet, but close enough to start checking out stereo and HD DVD. So far, I've only had a chance to listen to about 10 hours of 2 channel stereo and about 3 hours of HT, so this is a little premature. All I can say is WOW! I can't see how anything could sound better. The highs, the clarity, and the incredible bass from the sub give you a perma grin . It's like a drug and I want more . What's really cool, is that it will only get better after the break in and tweaking the speaker placement. Plus, the Sim Audio amp should be here very soon and that may enhance the sound. Right now, I am using AA's Parasound as a loaner.

Matt from Audio Architect is my new god. I need to go pray now and give thanks.

Enjoy your Thiels everyone! They're incredible speakers.

Kevin
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page