Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 986 Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What would it set me back for a pair of MegaLines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 986 Old 06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymlie View Post

What would it set me back for a pair of MegaLines?

US$38-40k
post #183 of 986 Old 06-29-2007, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

In the end, I dunno if phase coherent, first-order designs is what I really want (Ive only heard Thiels), but they are definitely high on my list of prospective next speakers. The Evolution Acoustics MM1 and MM2 would also be on my list as well, but they are very difficult to find for auditioning.

Curious what gear this dealer has running his 3.7s. Most Thiel dealers Ive come across in our area (so cal) dont have the first idea how to set them up properly. Probably largely why they are overlooked by some.

First order designs are very much the most natural way to reproduce music, BUT they take a huge amount of driver engineering which most companies dont want to do. The Thiels are interesting because they use first order crossovers with metal cone drivers which is usually a big no no, due to the resonances of metal cones. But Thiel does some pretty heavy duty crossover modifications to combat this. The result is a sound that is uniquely Thiel.
post #184 of 986 Old 06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Curious what gear this dealer has running his 3.7s. Most Thiel dealers Ive come across in our area (so cal) dont have the first idea how to set them up properly. Probably largely why they are overlooked by some.

First order designs are very much the most natural way to reproduce music, BUT they take a huge amount of driver engineering which most companies dont want to do. The Thiels are interesting because they use first order crossovers with metal cone drivers which is usually a big no no, due to the resonances of metal cones. But Thiel does some pretty heavy duty crossover modifications to combat this. The result is a sound that is uniquely Thiel.

Jim Thiel set them up in the room. The dealer used Classe Delta Preamp (the bigger one), Krell Evolution amp and Classe source. We also tried the CJ Act 2 preamp with Krell Evo amp.

I didnt notice any beaming effects even though the midrange has 1st order low pass into the tweeter.
post #185 of 986 Old 06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Hey all you guys wanted to let you know, if your thinking of doing any Simaudio purchases, do it today! The price increase goes into effect Monday, and it's a big one, some are up to 15%... So contact your local Sim dealer and get those things you've been wanting today!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #186 of 986 Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

any word on the cs3.7's????????????????
reviews?!?!???
post #187 of 986 Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 AM

My dealer says that before Thiel's 2 week summer vacation, they had shipped 30 pairs. I finally heard them for the first time yesterday, and Thiel will have my order waiting when they get back Monday. The dealer estimated about two months until delivery.
post #188 of 986 Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiall View Post

My dealer says that before Thiel's 2 week summer vacation, they had shipped 30 pairs. I finally heard them for the first time yesterday, and Thiel will have my order waiting when they get back Monday. The dealer estimated about two months until delivery.

I ordered my CS3.7 a month ago, this is good news. Anybody have recommendations on Amplifiers for this speaker. I am thinking of auditioning Bel Canto Ref1000 and McIntosh MC501's. Budget 4-10K.
post #189 of 986 Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM

If the 3.7's truly sound better than previous Thiel's it will be an awesome speaker. But they like a lot of juice. I've heard the class d ice-power amps like the Bel Canto's but you can save a couple of grand on those if you buy them from the small marketers like Wyred4sound, Murano, and d-sonic. They use the same modules and power supplies. If you don't have a big amp budget you could also look for used on Audiogon, they always have some nice older class a Krells of 300 watts and up which would do the 3.7's justice.
post #190 of 986 Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb2301 View Post

I ordered my CS3.7 a month ago, this is good news. Anybody have recommendations on Amplifiers for this speaker. I am thinking of auditioning Bel Canto Ref1000 and McIntosh MC501's. Budget 4-10K.

My dealer called me this morning with great news. My order was accepted today and Thiel said they would ship in 3 weeks.

I think I am going to limp along with my current amps until I move next year, and then upgrade, but I'm struggling with your same dilemma. I did hear that Channel Islands Audio is soon going to release a new model of Class-D monoblock amps, the D-500 for ~$4500/pr, which will have 500+ watts into 8 ohms. Others have used CIAudio's D-200 successfully with CS2.4s, so the D-500 may be an intriguing audition for the CS3.7 when it comes out. I will probably still opt for a large traditional solid-state design from the likes of Krell, Bryston, Classe, Theta, McIntosh, etc., if only because of the difference in the warranty.
post #191 of 986 Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My dealer called me this morning with great news. My order was accepted today and Thiel said they would ship in 3 weeks.

I think I am going to limp along with my current amps until I move next year, and then upgrade, but I'm struggling with your same dilemma. I did hear that Channel Islands Audio is soon going to release a new model of Class-D monoblock amps, the D-500 for ~$4500/pr, which will have 500+ watts into 8 ohms. Others have used CIAudio's D-200 successfully with CS2.4s, so the D-500 may be an intriguing audition for the CS3.7 when it comes out. I will probably still opt for a large traditional solid-state design from the likes of Krell, Bryston, Classe, Theta, McIntosh, etc., if only because of the difference in the warranty.

Try the Halcro MC20. Its about the best that Ive heard our Thiels.
post #192 of 986 Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM

The authority of the Krell FPB600-700 series is hard to beat, at least on the 7.2's.
post #193 of 986 Old 08-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Hi folks, I am about to buy a pair of Focal 1027be's, but wanted to cover my bases before doing so. I am a relative newbie so tried to pick up as much knowledge as possible before making the final commitment. The issue of time and phase alignment came up and the importance that plays in getting the most accurate sounding speakers possible peaked my interest. I know Thiel is one of a few speaker companies that have gone down this route. I think the Focals have chosen a more conventional route.

All this is well and good, but I wanted to hear for myself the difference between the two philosophies. So I hope you don't mind me pestering you with questions. Anyone here had the chance to demo the two and would like to share your opinions?

By the way, I just purchased a Simaudio i5.3 which will power whatever speakers I decide to buy. Since my room is average size (300 sq feet), I am looking at the middle range floorstanders (CS2.4). My listening is mostly female vocals, rock, pop and some jazz and classical thrown in. Basically I am looking for an allrounder. Low bass is nice once in a while but I am not really into loud, ground shaking bass. I prefer a lighter, more airy sound and what bass is there must be tight and fast. ie I like the Focal sound, I like the Reference 3A sound. Will Thiel be something I will like or will I be wasting time?

I have arranged a listening session at a dealer for next week (audio show this week so they will be closing to prepare for that, hence the delay) so want to go in prepared to evaluate as much as possible.

The 3.7's sound like great speakers and from price point of view, much more in line with the Focal's range. But I am afraid they may overwhelm my room.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #194 of 986 Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:

It's interesting to learn this -- repeated discussions with Crutchfield have them telling me they know of no delays and anticipate all deliveries within 5-10 days of receiving an order. I mentioned this to Thiel directly since there seems to be a disconnect here.
post #195 of 986 Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:

I ended up ordering the Bryston 14B SST and BP26 preAmp to pair with my CS3.7s. I like the way Bryston Amps sound with Thiel speakers and the 14B SST give me plenty of power, I believe they are a good pairing. My dealer quoted me about 3 weeks as well for delivery. I will use AudioQuest cables and interconnects and Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player (Check out the latest TAS review - they loved this player).
post #196 of 986 Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I am happy to tell you all that the 3.7's are coming to TN! We have had them on order for quite some time but just recieved word that they our order was shipped.... So you can to Premier Acoustic Lifestyles and see and hear them!

Brad Bossman
post #197 of 986 Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEight View Post

Hi folks, I am about to buy a pair of Focal 1027be's, but wanted to cover my bases before doing so. I am a relative newbie so tried to pick up as much knowledge as possible before making the final commitment. The issue of time and phase alignment came up and the importance that plays in getting the most accurate sounding speakers possible peaked my interest. I know Thiel is one of a few speaker companies that have gone down this route. I think the Focals have chosen a more conventional route.

All this is well and good, but I wanted to hear for myself the difference between the two philosophies. So I hope you don't mind me pestering you with questions. Anyone here had the chance to demo the two and would like to share your opinions?

By the way, I just purchased a Simaudio i5.3 which will power whatever speakers I decide to buy. Since my room is average size (300 sq feet), I am looking at the middle range floorstanders (CS2.4). My listening is mostly female vocals, rock, pop and some jazz and classical thrown in. Basically I am looking for an allrounder. Low bass is nice once in a while but I am not really into loud, ground shaking bass. I prefer a lighter, more airy sound and what bass is there must be tight and fast. ie I like the Focal sound, I like the Reference 3A sound. Will Thiel be something I will like or will I be wasting time?

I have arranged a listening session at a dealer for next week (audio show this week so they will be closing to prepare for that, hence the delay) so want to go in prepared to evaluate as much as possible.

The 3.7's sound like great speakers and from price point of view, much more in line with the Focal's range. But I am afraid they may overwhelm my room.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would give the Thiel CS3.7 a serious look. It is a very smooth speaker with an exceptional soundstage. Jim Thiel says it's his best design yet and after hearing it I would be inclined to agree. It is a very special speaker.
post #198 of 986 Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Don't by the Focal's i was a dealer for 3 years... a bad company todeal with and they sound nothing like the 3.7's i dropped Focal to pick up Thiel.... best switch i ever made!

Brad Bossman
post #199 of 986 Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

i am also a sim dealer... the Thiel and Simgo hand and hand like a glove.... mmmm they are so sweet sounding together... its a perfect choice.

Brad Bossman
post #200 of 986 Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been out on vacation for a few days and got an email that my 3.7s are ready to ship pending my check.

There is always a catch !

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #201 of 986 Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

I am happy to tell you all that the 3.7's are coming to TN! We have had them on order for quite some time but just recieved word that they our order was shipped.... So you can to Premier Acoustic Lifestyles and see and hear them!

Brad,

I live in Brentwood, TN.

Google Map says 14.5 miles from your Fairview location. I'd like to hear your Thiel 3.7's when you get them in and set up!

Cordially,

Chris Cargen
(615) 370-9600
post #202 of 986 Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Don't by the Focal's i was a dealer for 3 years... a bad company todeal with and they sound nothing like the 3.7's i dropped Focal to pick up Thiel.... best switch i ever made!

I carry both products, and Focal has been a pleasure to do business with, and they make very good speakers. You need to audition both products.
post #203 of 986 Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I've been out on vacation for a few days and got an email that my 3.7s are ready to ship pending my check.

There is always a catch !

Which finish did you go for?
post #204 of 986 Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

black ash

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #205 of 986 Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I carry both products, and Focal has been a pleasure to do business with, and they make very good speakers. You need to audition both products.

Hi AudioArchitect --
good to hear from a dealer who carries both. What are your impressions of the 3.7 in comparison to say the 1037BE. thanks for any insights.
post #206 of 986 Old 08-27-2007, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post

Hi AudioArchitect --
good to hear from a dealer who carries both. What are your impressions of the 3.7 in comparison to say the 1037BE. thanks for any insights.

They are both great products. Thiels represent the sound a certain way. Some people like it, and others dont. I will say that I think the 3.7s are better than the 7.2s in many respects.

The Focal 1037s like the Thiels are a custom engineered product. Focals typically are fast sounding with tight but not subterranean bass, a thinner midrange thats detailed/articulate yet doesnt have any artificial bloom or warmth, and the Be tweeter is incredibly dynamic.

You really must listen to both to get an accurate feel for the products. The 3.7s seem to be balanced a little bit differently than the 2.4s. Thiels typically take some time with regards placement and setup to achieve the right sound, but once you get it right they will reward you.

In terms of the build quality, I have no reservations recommending either product line. Hopefully within the next month or so, most demonstrating Thiel dealers across the country will have a pair in their showrooms.
post #207 of 986 Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:

They are both great products. Thiels represent the sound a certain way. Some people like it, and others dont. I will say that I think the 3.7s are better than the 7.2s in many respects.

The Focal 1037s like the Thiels are a custom engineered product. Focals typically are fast sounding with tight but not subterranean bass, a thinner midrange thats detailed/articulate yet doesnt have any artificial bloom or warmth, and the Be tweeter is incredibly dynamic.

You really must listen to both to get an accurate feel for the products. The 3.7s seem to be balanced a little bit differently than the 2.4s. Thiels typically take some time with regards placement and setup to achieve the right sound, but once you get it right they will reward you.

In terms of the build quality, I have no reservations recommending either product line. Hopefully within the next month or so, most demonstrating Thiel dealers across the country will have a pair in their showrooms.

thank you - that's helpful and good to hear a balanced perspective. sadly, there is little chance a dealer here will have either, never mind both - neither the Focal or the Thiel dealer (and it used to be the same person but not anymore) will stock anything above the lower lines. I have to admit the Crutchfield route is tempting for me regarding the Thiels as they told me they would take them back cheaply and with no fuss if I didn't like them (and of course they told me they did not anticipate anyone ever wanting to return them, we shall see).
post #208 of 986 Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Found out my 3.7s shipped from the Thiel factory today. They will ship to the dealer first, and he has graciously offered to do the in-home delivery if I can't pick them up.
post #209 of 986 Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

How i do love my CS 3.7's... So pretty and detailed... makes me wonder how does ol' Jim do it? But then i reflect back on to when we got to tear one down in Thiel training a few months back and see how it's built like a tank... an aluminum front baffle, and top support, makes the cabinet rigid... the are about 75% broke in now.... been playing them 24/7 for the past 5 days at ever decibel level from about 20dB to 100 dB, properly flexing the drivers... They have had they're share of musical enrichment, Diana Krall, Creed, Al DiMeloa, No Doubt, Loreena McKennet, Elton John, Peter White, Dido, Brooks & Dunn, Jazz at the Pawn Shop, Bon Jovi... must i keen going really a musical Schmorgasboard. As a dealer of 2 other very great lines, i can say Thiel is in the runing with this one... Gear used: Parasound JC2 fully balanced preamp, Simaudio W-3 125 X 2 Amp, Simaudio CD 5.3x fully balanced, Straight Wire Crescendo balanced interconnects, MIT Shotgun SG1 balanced interconnects, MIT Shotgun SG1 speaker interface cables. I do believe with this equipment it makes for the most neutral sound, these are a speaker you need to hear... stop by for a listen if you in the Nashville, TN. area!

Brad Bossman
post #210 of 986 Old 09-22-2007, 10:01 AM

I have an Emotiva MPS-1 amp. Rated 200W/300W for 8/4 ohm respectively. I've been following the Thiel thread/speakers for a while. I'm aware of the power requirement that these speakers demand. While the MPS-1 is not in the same league as the Krell, EAD, Bryston and slough other high-end amp, I wonder if the MPS-1 is sufficient to power used CS3.6/1.6. My room is about 15'x20'. Would anyone recommend this combination? Or has experience this pair of setup?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page