post #511 of 514 Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

Keep in mind that "compression of the audio spectrum" is caused by clipping.
If the amp did not clip, the spectrum would not be "compressed". So, whether
the speaker is blown by high frequencies associated with clipping (harmonics), or with high
frequencies that keep getting stronger even when the amp cannot generate
any more mids or bass (compression), doesn't really matter - both mechanisms are in fact
the direct result of clipping.

This compression is a result of clipping, as you say, but the clipping is not the direct cause of the speaker failure. If the amp were to be more powerful and not clip, the high frequencies would be amplified just as much (and even more), except this time the low frequencies would also be amplified the same amount as the high frequencies, meaning there would be a greater chance of woofer failure in addition to the tweeter failure.

You could say clipping is an indirect cause, however, because it prevents the low frequencies from getting any louder, which sometimes fools people into thinking they can continue to turn up the amp more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

Bottom line - you blow your speakers when you turn that little knob labeled "volume" too far clockwise, for too long. The "cause" of most "blown" tweeters is user error.

Precisely!

Health insurance inevitably leads to poor quality, inefficiency, inflated costs for health care, and rationing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 514 Old 10-09-2009, 07:01 AM

I was just about to post this question before I saw the thread.

I use a pair of Mission satellite speakers with recommended amp power of 20-50 watts, with a Yamaha RX-V1800 rated at 130 watts per channel.

The room is small and I never crank the volume past -8dB on the volume scale (that's below half way on the yamaha's front display, around 30% of it's max volume i think) it's not too loud just a decent volume.

I've never heard any distortion or odd noises and as far as I know they're functioning properly, but am I damaging them? Should I be looking to upgrade?

With my old Rx-V2300 I bought in 2002 the power rating was less (around 100-110 watts per channel) so I never gave this any thought when I upgraded, it just sort of dawned on me now.
post #513 of 514 Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

As probably has already been mentioned a good number of times in this old and long thread, a change from 100-110 W to 130 W is negligible - less than 1dB at best. You shouldn't worry about it now, if you were happy before.

Enjoy!
post #514 of 514 Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 AM

so firstly i would like to know i have these bose speakers that have the specs of
max watts 150
rms 45
impedance 6ohms
i have 4 of these speakers so what specs in a av reciever or amplifier would i need to cater for that to create a clean sound that i could turn up loud ? smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page