HSU Ultimate 1 vs SVS SBS-01 w/ PB12-NSD/2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok... these are within a few hundred of each other in terms of price.
But.. which would be the best option?

SVS SBS-01 --
BUT with the PB12-NSD/2 sub instead of the PB10-NSD or PB12-NSD that comes with it.

OR

The HSU Ultimate 1 system found on hsuresearch's site.

***Sorry for not posting links... the forum won't allow me to post them due to my low number of posts***

My avr is an Onkyo HT-SR604 if that helps...
Room size is 22x26 w/ 18ft ceilings

Would like opinions from whoever wants to chime in but I'm especially interested in those that have heard both of these...

Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

The Ultimate one looks pretty good, and so does the SBS-01 packages. But SVS will soon release a mini tower, and that is going to make a buzz on the net too.

I have been thinking of these two setups as well. The only way to know.....is to listen.
I don't know of anyone who has done side by side reviews of these two, you could do us all a favor and do it for us!

I may do it soon my self, but soon may be 2-3 months, and hopefully the mts will be out from SVS by then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

As likely with many here, I have not heard either system. Although I can't believe you'd be going wrong with either, I'd have to think the HSU system would be noticeably better and regardless of how that is defined. I'd be surpised if someone who has heard both would say different.
post #4 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Both look very good to me... I just can't decide which to go with. I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison but funds just don't allow it unfortunately...

Any features/specs that would make anyone lean one way or the other? (even if just slightly)
post #5 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1z View Post

Both look very good to me... I just can't decide which to go with. I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison but funds just don't allow it unfortunately...

Any features/specs that would make anyone lean one way or the other? (even if just slightly)

That's HSU's top of the line system, and it's newer than the SVS. It's way too hard for me to imagine HSU coming out with a new system that's aimed directly at SVS at each price point (as well as others speaker companies) and HSU not intend for it to out perform them. There's probably a review or two out by now on the HSU system that may help you decide.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time View Post

That's HSU's top of the line system, and it's newer than the SVS. It's way too hard for me to imagine HSU coming out with a new system that's aimed directly at SVS at each price point (as well as others speaker companies) and HSU not intend for it to out perform them. There's probably a review or two out by now on the HSU system that may help you decide.

I guess my hesitation is for the same price, I can swap the PB10 or PB12 to a PB12-NSD/2 (dual 12") vs the VTF-3 (single 12") for around the same money.

Does that change things any or do you still recommend HSU?
post #7 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess my hesitation is for the same price, I can swap the PB10 or PB12 to a PB12-NSD/2 (dual 12") vs the VTF-3 (single 12") for around the same money.

Does that change things any or do you still recommend HSU?

The short answer is no. The performance difference of these subwoofers is only one component to be considered. How these subwoofers would compare directly would best be discussed in the subwoofer forum. You do know the HSU system has a "mid-base module", right? That alone changes everything since the HSU sub will be free to better handle the lower frequencies. Nonetheless, it's the overall system's performance that should matter the most. Picking a system solely on a comparison of subwoofers would not be wise IMO. And anyway each are likely to be more than adequate for your HT room.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Will the mid-bass module AND sub work fine off my Onkyo TX-SR604 or will I need additional equipment (amp[s]) to make it work?
post #9 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will the mid-bass module AND sub work fine off my Onkyo TX-SR604 or will I need additional equipment (amp[s]) to make it work?

Good question. Never gave it a thought. Definitely would want to call HSU on that one or at least check their site.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should be fine.

You have a very large room and you will need as much bass output as you can get. It is my understanding the VTF3 HO will outperform a PB12-Plus2 which should out perform a NSD/2, you may want to ask on the sub forum. The addition of the MBM should further enhance your experience.

The HB-1s are quite a bit more sensitive than the SBS-01s which may be a plus depending on how loud you like to listen and how far you are from the speakers.
post #11 of 35 Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM

I just purchased a Hsu system similar to the Ultimate setup. The exceptions were that I only purchased a 5.1 system and I got the VTF 3 MK 3 with Turbo instead of the HO. I am very pleased with this system.

Quote:

If your receiver has a pre-out for the sub you just get a splitter for the cable. Run the cable to the MBM and then split it out to the VTF. I got a splitter at Best Buy.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

The more I look the HB-1's look better than the SBS for bookshelf, front and rear surround speakers... they seem to have more oomph to them to me. Am I wrong here?
post #13 of 35 Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:

The more I look the HB-1's look better than the SBS for bookshelf, front and rear surround speakers... they seem to have more oomph to them to me. Am I wrong here?

By "seem" do you mean you have listened to them?

They are two very different speakers. The SBS are an acoustic suspension design, whereas the HBs are bass reflex with a horn. How do you want to place your speakers? Wall mount? Stands?

The SBS are less efficient, but my understanding is that this will not be much of an issue.

SVS has published a good amount of data on the SBS speakers. I am not aware of any equivalent from HSU. The SBS speakers also have a number of professional reviews and has been widely praised. The HBs are much newer, so the reviews aren't out yet. HSU has a very good rep, so it is unlikely the speakers are anything other than good.

What intrigues me about the SBS is that, at least on paper, it looks to be perfect for a 2nd order/4th order subwoofer crossover at 80 Hz. (THX standard.)
post #14 of 35 Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt you are wrong, and that's the way the HB-1's look to me too.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the interest, guys! Reviews of the HB/HC-1's are coming, just not ready for publishing quite yet. This is really some of Dr. Hsu's best work in terms of value for the money, I can honestly say!

1time, if you have a chance over the next couple days, swing by our room at St. Tropez (Suite 2104) at T.H.E. SHOW. The demo system includes HB-1's, HC-1, MBM-12, VTF-3 Mk3, etc.

Enjoy!
post #16 of 35 Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_T View Post

By "seem" do you mean you have listened to them?

They are two very different speakers. The SBS are an acoustic suspension design, whereas the HBs are bass reflex with a horn. How do you want to place your speakers? Wall mount? Stands?

I have not listened to either.. just going by specs.

The HBs will be on stands.
post #17 of 35 Old 01-10-2007, 08:12 AM

RANT: Why does everyone call him "Dr. Hsu"? I'm in grad school myself and work with phd's all the time in statistics, and we never, ever use such a formal(and pretentious) means of addressing someone.

It really gets annoying to read that: just call him "hsu" for christ's sake, or should we start saying, "dr. einstein", "dr. feynman's lectures", etc etc?

Anyway, the really smart guys go to caltech, not MIT :P
post #18 of 35 Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phirang View Post

RANT: Why does everyone call him "Dr. Hsu"? I'm in grad school myself and work with phd's all the time in statistics, and we never, ever use such a formal(and pretentious) means of addressing someone.

It really gets annoying to read that: just call him "hsu" for christ's sake, or should we start saying, "dr. einstein", "dr. feynman's lectures", etc etc?

Anyway, the really smart guys go to caltech, not MIT :P

Heh good point. When I was in grad school (I have a PhD in chemistry) it was customary to call your thesis advisor "Dr" and usually the other faculty.

Until I saw what "Dr" Hsu looked like, my mental image was of a wizened old man, perhaps like that guy from Kill Bill who taught the secret Kung Fu stuff. It turns out he looks like he is 35, 40 tops.

Contrasting Hsu and SVS (and again, I don't own products from either), HSU seems much more a "cult of personality". This is not to be perjorative, as that is a valid marketing philosophy, especially with smaller businesses. SVS seems more spec. and measurement driven. By all accounts Dr. Hsu is a very pleasant man to deal with and knows a hell of alot about subwoofers (and other loudspeakers too, it seems.)
post #19 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I am having an awfully hard time deciding between these two. Anyone heard both that could help me decide one way or the other?
post #20 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It is possible cschang has, you might try PMing him.
post #21 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

to add to the which one factor, there is a post in the SVS SBS thread about a 7.1 SCS setup that was at CES. It was said to sound pretty nice, that setup maybe the additional umpf I was hoping for. SVS still has a mid tower to come out this year, to be fair it was to come out last year too! Having something (LCR) to upgrade to is nice, if it matches well with the SBS that is.

post #22 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am having an awfully hard time deciding between these two. Anyone heard both that could help me decide one way or the other?

Something else to consider... I think I read recently that the SVS system at CES used center speakers all the way around, not the smaller satellites. It probably would be best for you to wait until getting a few opinons from those who went to CES and heard both systems. Lots of luck.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

1time, I think you said the same thing I said one post up. But to restate, the SCS is the small center channel speaker.

post #24 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post

1time, I think you said the same thing I said one post up. But to restate, the SCS is the small center channel speaker.

Yes, and I recall reading SVS used all SCS speakers in their set-up at CES, not their satellites.
post #25 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The main listening area used the SCS's at least for the front soundstage. In that room they played movies off of Bluray using a Sony PS3 I believe.

A secondary listening setup near the door used the SBS-01's for LR/surrounds, and the SCS for center. I got to hear this system with my own music. It sounded good. The setup used a PB-Ultra sub with the new SVS/Audessey bass EQ. Ron also switched it over to a SB-12Plus for us to hear as well.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #26 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The main listening area used the SCS's at least for the front soundstage. In that room they played movies off of Bluray using a Sony PS3 I believe.

A secondary listening setup near the door used the SBS-01's for LR/surrounds, and the SCS for center. I got to hear this system with my own music. It sounded good. The setup used a PB-Ultra sub with the new SVS/Audessey bass EQ. Ron also switched it over to a SB-12Plus for us to hear as well.

What, no comparison to HSU's system?
post #27 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time View Post

What, no comparison to HSU's system?

That one sounded good too.....but it was at the St. Tropez.

1Time....all this stuff was under your nose and you didn't make an attempt to go listen?

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #28 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Soooo.... how would you compare it to the HSU system? Which would you buy?
60/40 movies/music
post #29 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Soooo.... how would you compare it to the HSU system? Which would you buy?
60/40 movies/music

The SBS-01's and HB-1's are not expensive, and easy to ship. I suggest ordering a pair of each and compare at home.

For your intended use, and without comparing, I bet you would be happy with either one. But a sub does not make a system.

If you were to put a gun to my head, I would pick the Hsu....because their headquarters are 40 minutes from me, and getting service, if needed, would be much easier.

If you were to bass it solely on subs and performance per dollar.....I'd go with Hsu. But a sub does not make a system.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #30 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That one sounded good too.....but it was at the St. Tropez.

1Time....all this stuff was under your nose and you didn't make an attempt to go listen?

Yes, I heard you laughing while you typed. Mostly work and personal obligations kept me away. That, plus having already found my speakers of choice with the HTD middies, and truly not being in the market for a new system, I found it a very easy decision to make that would relegate me to relying on opinions of others like yourself who had better reasons to be there. I guess maybe I should have given my decision a little better thought.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page