Home Theater Direct (HTD) Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 419 Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a couple of questions abou the htd subwoofers...

My setup and use...

This is for general listing and background music.
I have a dedicated theater as well...

So the main floor open area of my house is about 1500 sq feet...

It's covered by 10-crs8-3 speaker raft n ceiling mounted in dynamat enclosures...each powered by it's own crestron amp...

Plus three n-wall under a 65" at one end for tv watching...hardly ever gets used...

So, I have three locations with triad grills mounted for subs...two are very deep and was going to use triad subs that are like 16" deep...the other one is a 6" deep opening...

Anyhow, the triads are a bit pricey...and I'm wondering about the htd subs...Im just about sure just about any sub can or could be mounted in the opening...

How do these htd's compare...?

Thanks
Bret

P.S. I'm not worried about names or thx certified or anything like that...

My theater I run qsc kseries for my main sound and people keep telling me I need more lower end...but I already move glasses and plates and my hair moves when the opening of transformers starts...

So, I'm looking for things that are solid and do the job more than any lab specs...

My Theater:
36x52 Three rows of seating plus back bar area and 15' stage in front.
100% control over lighting in room via Crestron lighting systems.
Sim2 D60 Projected on a 196" DaLite 1.3x screen.
Onkyo SC-886P Preamp feeding all QSC K-Series speakers. K12's Mains, K8's Side, center and Rear,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 419 Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't have an HTD sub. Many folks say that their subs are not the best for the money and recommend makers like Hsu and SVS. (I haven't had to decide yet, as I am borrowing a friend's Martin-Logan.)
post #273 of 419 Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM

Well,

Thanks fo the reply...

These are just for a bit more low end audio in my dining room, livin room and such...

In the theater I run qsc ksubs witch people say aren't the greatest...but I knock glasses and plates of the counters...and just ran through some eq this week to get rid of some bass...

Then again just two thousand watt ksubs firing out from a custom enclosure under my stage it's quite enough...

Nothing that's going to be pushed...and am having a hard time with spending so much for triad subs...

B

My Theater:
36x52 Three rows of seating plus back bar area and 15' stage in front.
100% control over lighting in room via Crestron lighting systems.
Sim2 D60 Projected on a 196" DaLite 1.3x screen.
Onkyo SC-886P Preamp feeding all QSC K-Series speakers. K12's Mains, K8's Side, center and Rear,...
post #274 of 419 Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 13
Hi Bret,

I own a pair of HTD Level Three Towers. I absolutely love them. I use them mostly for music so I don't use a sub at all. They measure down to 30 HZ and I believe it! In any event, if the transmission line type subs they offer are anything like the deep smooth bass coming out of the Level Three you're in for a treat. They offer top-notch customer service so why don't you just give them a call and get all your questions answered. Let us know what you decide and please post a review if you do try one of their subs.

Ron
post #275 of 419 Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 548cidakota View Post

Sorry about that. You will enjoy them. I was sitting in my theater today just listening to music with the sub turned off. Forgot how good these speakers sound with music.

Shane

I listen to all types of music through my Level Three's and I share your sentiment about how great they sound. I'm a loose canon when it comes to switching speakers in and out of my system. Every time I think about selling my Level Three Towers I change my mind once I pop in a CD that I've never played on them before and my jaw drops because of how musical they are. Maple Shade CDs always sounded a bit hot for my taste on other speakers I've owned. They also never seemed like they had any bass information present in the recordings. At least nothing that I could feel. I just recently played a few of them through my Level Three Towers and now they sound like just great straight to two track live music with deep, tuneful bass. Anyway, I can go on and on. They're not perfect but they do so many things right; at least for my taste and old almost fifty year old ears.

Ron
post #276 of 419 Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcG704 View Post

LVL 3s arrived today. Been working on setting them up. Was curiuos if anyone knew how far off the wall the towers should be minimum. About to run cables to them so was trying to not have to move them to much after they were ran.

Have you listened to any music through your Level Three Towers? I'm mostly a music lover so I was just curious what your take away has been. I too own Level Three Towers and love them for music. I listen to TV and stream movies through my Roku as well. I have them hooked up to two channel 85 wpc integrated amp.

Ron
post #277 of 419 Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Well I'm ready to part with my dark cherry Level Three Towers if anyone is interested. Just purchased from HTD Feb. of this year. I'm thinking $499 delivered.
post #278 of 419 Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukihock View Post

Well I'm ready to part with my dark cherry Level Three Towers if anyone is interested. Just purchased from HTD Feb. of this year. I'm thinking $499 delivered.

Why is that? Any particular reason?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #279 of 419 Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Why is that? Any particular reason?

They are actually tough to part with. Just always searching when it comes to speakers. You know, that sickness.
post #280 of 419 Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are actually tough to part with. Just always searching when it comes to speakers. You know, that sickness.

Tell me about it. I'm trying to sell mine to buy others. The HTDs are on my list.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #281 of 419 Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Tell me about it. I'm trying to sell mine to buy others. The HTDs are on my list.

Well this pair is mint. You can check them out now on Ebay. Where you see them in the pics is where they've been since Feb. hooked up to an 85 wpc Yamaha A-S500. Unlike some of the folks on this forum, I don't have the financial means to bring multiple pairs into the home. Have to try a pair at a time. I will say though that these (HTD) would definitely be speakers I would return to if future ones don't do it for me. These certainly did, I'm just eternally curious it seems when it comes to speakers.
post #282 of 419 Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well this pair is mint. You can check them out now on Ebay. Where you see them in the pics is where they've been since Feb. hooked up to an 85 wpc Yamaha A-S500. Unlike some of the folks on this forum, I don't have the financial means to bring multiple pairs into the home. Have to try a pair at a time. I will say though that these (HTD) would definitely be speakers I would return to if future ones don't do it for me. These certainly did, I'm just eternally curious it seems when it comes to speakers.

I wish I had the $500, and I would definitely buy them. Hopefully, I'll be able to sell some of my set up on time and get yours.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #283 of 419 Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM

I have an older white 5.1 level 2 setup I am trying to part with if anyone is interested (book shelf speakers) . Moved to a house and ended up having to settle for HTD inceiling setup...I will be sure to let everyone know how they are...
post #284 of 419 Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Please do. I may be buying some in-ceiling HTD speakers. Which ones odd you get?
post #285 of 419 Old 09-25-2013, 01:11 PM

3 HDR65 Aims for the front and standard HDR65s for the back... I am going to pair it with either a LEVEL 2 sub or BIC F12 or P200.. havent decided... I have a LEVEL 2 sub right now and might run with that and see how it works for now.

I am somewhat lucky that I live 15 to 20 minutes from the HTD store .. I got to visit their show room and I cant really say enough with how nice they are there... Got there about 5 or so minutes before closing and they still invited me in to talk shop.
post #286 of 419 Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 PM

Hey all,

Brand new HTD owner here with a set of Level 2's across the front connected to a Denon X2000 amp with a SVS sub (Which is being RMAed ATM).

I was wondering if I could get advice on adding rears to this setup, we don't listen at high volume, but I'd like to get the more expansive sound from 5.1. My issue is that one listening position is near the corner of the room where the side right speaker would go, and we can't put the side left nearly as close. Given the distance the left will be (about 10') from the listening position, would the Middy make sense? Can it be turned up for surround duty without distortion?

Also, any generic thoughts about the Middy as rear speakers?
post #287 of 419 Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 PM

^ I'd be interested in how you like those speakers. I recently purchased a Denon X4000 and have a SVS 25-31 PC Plus sub with my fronts and centers being Boston Acoustic VR-M60's and VR-C. I plan to get a combination of HTD in-ceiling HD-R80's and MP-R80's for whole house audio. But, I was also considering getting HD-R80's for my surrounds and back surrounds in my 7.1 system.

Just realized what the Middy was so I guess you aren't looking for in-ceiling (my room will require them).
post #288 of 419 Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Part of my install was finished this weekend (Changing rears).. I decided to get a full set of AIMHDR65s rather than going with standard HDR65s for the rear... With just the front 3 speakers installed in ceiling paired with a HTD Level 2 sub I have to say I am very impressed. They surprisingly have a decent amount of punch for being in ceiling speakers and are relatively invisible when in ceiling. I have them all running off a Denon 2113 and plan to change out my sub shortly to a Bic PL-200.

For the money with only 3 speakers in so far it seems like a solid buy imo.
post #289 of 419 Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM

I just purchased three HD-65s for the front of my home theater, the in-wall sub, and two MP-50s for my ceiling rears. I will be pairing them with a Denon E400 that I should get today. I should have it all set up by next week. I am coming from always buying HTIB so I am looking forward to having a great sounding home theater in my basement. I have the projector and screen already running. I'll post with my thoughts after it is set up.
post #290 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Hi everyone, I have a question for the owners of HDT flat panels, I was thinking sometime now to buy a JBL LC2 for my center channel, and maybe matching them with JBL L820's for my fronts, but my need for the center channel upgrade is because I have an acoustically transparent screen with my center channel behind, but the soundstage of my actual center channel is too narrow, so when someone in a movie speaks off the center of the screen it feels not right because I feel the sound coming from the exact center of the screen only.

How good is the horizontal wideness of the soundstage from the Flat Panels? I was thinking on buying a HTD Flat Panel for LCR because the design of the HDT with 2.5" FCD cone drivers for the high-mid frequencies at sides of the tweeter seems not have a lobing problem and maybe a wider soundstage for a center channel because of that design, the JBL LC2 have the tweeters and med in vertical way so I'm concerned about the same problem I have now with my actual center channel.

I didn't hear the LC2 yet, and everyone in every forum I read that owns a HTD speakers says they are wonderful for the price, even here in the AVS Forum HTD owners thread, but the price is not a problem as the location of the sound from voices in my decision, but for the price of the JBL LC2 only I almost can buy 3 flat panels from HTD and that would be good too.

I was thinking three flat panels behind the screen with the center horizontally oriented to spread a wider sound.

My room dimensions are very little 10x12x9 but when I arrive at home after a long business trip I'm expecting to make heavy acoustic treatment to my home theater room from RealTraps, real heavy I hope, but anyway I think maybe the LC2 and L820's would be too overwhelming to my little room. I have an Onkyo TX-NR3009 to power them.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

David
post #291 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I have the Flat Panels in a LCR set up. the center has very good presence and directionality but the sound won't shift in the center as the actor move across the screen. The L R channels pick this up. The issue with the Flat Panels is the cone size creates a little bit of a flat spot about 200Hz or so which is human speach but it is hardly noticeable. I have my center up a couple dB above what audessey predicts because I can hear the dialog better that way but it does not distort.

post #292 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Hi Sammy,

As I expected your answer was the first one, and maybe the only one in this matter, I waited your answer specifically because you are the one with this set and you are the only one posting very complete reviews about them.

You are very helpful in this subject, I suppose your center channel is placed horizontally? and you say the L R channels picks up the sound when the actor voice moves across the screen?

I suppose some sound engineers don't work hard in panning the audio through front channels, I've see movies with excellent panning between LCR as the actor moves across the screens and other movies when the actor is almost at an extreme side of the screen and the sound only comes from the center only, of course I don't expect the center channel moves his tweeter sound across the screen, but at least don't feel like the sound is too narrow, I have my center channel MTW placed vertically avoiding the lobing effect from this design, and I see the Flat Panel is wider with the 2.5" separating the two 4" cone preventing (i think) the lobing effect, so I wanna think this design can wide the sound field of the center.

Another problem I have is my distance from the screen, I'm only 8 feet away because of my room dimensions, I suppose if I had more room, let's say 12 or 14' from screen the soundstage from the center would opens up as in commercial theaters you don't feel the sound coming only from center but the entire screen surface if your distance is long enough.

David
post #293 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Acoustically your room is not ideal but pretty good. Do you have audessey on your AVR and have you run it? It might work better with the front stage on the short end so you can sit back farther but then you'll need a bigger TV.

post #294 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

My room is 18 x 18 x 9 BTW.

post #295 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Thanks again for your reply Sammy, as I said before, I have an acoustically transparent screen, my home theater is too little but I set everything with a guy from THX directly, my projection screen is 80" 16:9, so is bigger enough, my room is 12' on the long side, but I have a door behind me, so I can't sit farther, and yes, I used Audyssey and the sound improved too much, but I still will need too much room treatment because my little room, that will makes things much better I think, no, I'M SURE! biggrin.gif

I hope I take the right chose when finally decides between the JBL LC2 and HTD Flat Panel for my center.

Thanks again for your support Sammy, I made the same question a few days ago in the JBL owner's forum and still no answer... maybe they were offended by the "maybe an HTD would be better" question, or maybe all the owners of JBL speakers are so happy with them that they don't have to get into forums anymore! ha ha ha biggrin.gif when this madness will be over for me?!?!

David
post #296 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

you did say that didn't you?

I have not been in this thread in a long time but I subscribe to it and got an email with your questions so I answered them. Overall I am very happy with my HTD speakers.

post #297 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Ha Ha, no! biggrin.gif of course I didn't say that!... not exactly, I just asked if maybe for my little home theater the JBL LC2 would be overwhelming and the HDT Flat Panel "maybe" fits better in my room, as I asked here. I know you are subscribed and I suppose the hundreds of members of JBL Owner's thread too, but no one in the JBL thread are interested in my question I suppose. Even if I'm a candidate to be a member of the JBL club he he.

Anyway I will knock that door again late this weekend to see if I can make a final decision about this matter.

David
post #298 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I can't comment on the HTD speakers, but if you have an AT screen, you would be better off with a vertical speaker identical to your l/r speakers. A horizontal cc doesn't really give a wider soundstage, though it seems like it would. They are really only designed that way to make them easier to place above or below a traditional display. With your AT screen you don't have that limitation. Identical front soundstage is ideal, even better identical all around.
post #299 of 419 Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Hi Gmash, thanks for your response, actually my three front speakers are the same, Onkyos SKF-980, they sound just fine, of course they recommend the center channel horizontal because TV limitations, but when I got my AT screen I immediately placed the speaker behind and vertical, and the sound improved, but I still feel that narrow section from the sound origin.

David
post #300 of 419 Old 10-19-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

I can't comment on the HTD speakers, but if you have an AT screen, you would be better off with a vertical speaker identical to your l/r speakers. A horizontal cc doesn't really give a wider soundstage, though it seems like it would. They are really only designed that way to make them easier to place above or below a traditional display. With your AT screen you don't have that limitation. Identical front soundstage is ideal, even better identical all around.

This is a very good comment as this will prevent the lobing and cancellation that inherently occurs when the speakers are rotated 90º from each other. I have not personally verified this but the science behind why this occurs is pretty sound.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page