Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 419 Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post

I received my tweeters and midrange drivers back from HTD last week. They weren't able to find any problems with them. I still hear the issue, though at this point it could just be a characteristic of the midrange driver, that just doesn't appeal to me. Though I'm not sure why anyone would consider this characteristic a plus.

I did discover a new phrase that I feel captures what I'm getting out of the speaker. It doesn't sound so much distorted as reedy. Something I did notice, though, is that if I apply a slight amount of pressure on the domed part of the driver, the reediness goes away. This seems to cement, in my mind, that the issue is really with the driver and not some other part of the speaker.

At this point, I don't think it is worth any further investment in warranty service, as the next step would be to send in the entire enclosures, which is expensive...would be better to just move on and invest that money in my next set.

I think you nailed it with your description. I had the same issue with my pair although it seemed to be more prominent coming from one of the midrange drivers. In particular I would hear breakup with certain acoustic guitar pieces. HTD assured me that it must be the recording itself and not the driver. In fairness to HTD I did discover that it was a particularly difficult acoustic guitar amplitude to reproduce. Nonetheless my other stand mount speakers were able to reproduce I'm guessing what the engineer intended listeners to hear and without distortion. My further research into dome midrange drivers in general revealed that only some of the most expensive ones (and they aren't many) behave well at all midrange frequencies and that's only with a well designed crossover. Overall I think these are good speakers for the price. Maybe they should consider a cone midrange for this tower in the future. A similar approach to design that Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio made with his towers. I'm not endorsing Philharmonic Audio. Just making a point of reference regarding one designers choice of midrange/ribbon tweeter combinations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just hooked up my level three bookshelf speakers and I absolutely love them. I am impressed with the bass they put out but the upgrade bug has bitten me. I'm looking to slowly expand into 2.1 -> 3.1 -> 5.1. I'm trying to find reviews of the HTD Level 2 and 3 subwoofers but I haven't had any luck yet. Any owners wanna chime in and give their opinion of the subwoofers? Ideally I would like the best subwoofer either sealed or with a port not on the rear or top for around $450 or under.
post #393 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a level 2 subwoofer, and I can't even imagine why I'd need anything more, at least for my listening space...I have that sucker pretty mellowed out from what it can produce, and it is more than enough. That sub is powerful. I can only provide a qualitative judgement, but all in all, it's a great subwoofer.
post #394 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey View Post

Just hooked up my level three bookshelf speakers and I absolutely love them. I am impressed with the bass they put out but the upgrade bug has bitten me. I'm looking to slowly expand into 2.1 -> 3.1 -> 5.1. I'm trying to find reviews of the HTD Level 2 and 3 subwoofers but I haven't had any luck yet. Any owners wanna chime in and give their opinion of the subwoofers? Ideally I would like the best subwoofer either sealed or with a port not on the rear or top for around $450 or under.

For your budget, (or at least very close to it) I would look to SVS and their PB-1000 & SB-1000. Also, there is a new player in town http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage that has a couple of subs below, and just above your budget.

As much as I like HTD, I would look elsewhere at either of the other companies, with SVS first, long before I went with an HTD sub............ Just my opinion.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #395 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

As much as I like HTD, I would look elsewhere at either of the other companies, with SVS first, long before I went with an HTD sub............ Just my opinion.

I did a lot of research on subs to go with my HTDs, and this was a very very often repeated sentiment.
D Bone likes this.
post #396 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

I did a lot of research on subs to go with my HTDs, and this was a very very often repeated sentiment.

I had the PB-1000 in my way too large 23x16x10 room (that opens to the rest of the house no less) and was amazed at the amount of tactile bass that it produced. In the end, I returned it and upped my budget because of my room size and bought a PSA XV15, but knowing what I know, I would pick the PB-1000 all day long over any other sub in its price range.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #397 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM

I understand, hence why I was curious. I know SVS is a big player in the subwoofer market and I've been researching their cheaper models as well. My bigger issue is whether or not I should bother spending $800 for the towers or just get another set of Level 3's for the rear. I won't be doing any dedicated 2.0 for music, only 5.1 so I don't really think I'll see much difference with a quality subwoofer
post #398 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey View Post

I understand, hence why I was curious. I know SVS is a big player in the subwoofer market and I've been researching their cheaper models as well. My bigger issue is whether or not I should bother spending $800 for the towers or just get another set of Level 3's for the rear. I won't be doing any dedicated 2.0 for music, only 5.1 so I don't really think I'll see much difference with a quality subwoofer

My Power Sound Audio XV15 is the best component in my system and it transformed movie watching into an unreal experience. I would spend as much as you possibly can towards the sub, because it is such a huge part of any system. When you get a good one, a really good one, you'll know what I mean. wink.gif

post #399 of 419 Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM

No doubt, I want to get the best that I can when I buy. Hence the piecemeal setup as is, I didn't wanna buy subpar equipment just for the sake of having 5.1. I'll splurge on something ridiculous one piece at a time

My previous comment about "not being much difference for my application" was about towers vs bookshelf speakers for strictly movie and games, not subwoofers.
post #400 of 419 Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't listened to the HTD subs but my SVS sub from 2004 is still awesome and I can tell you that you will definitely not go wrong buying one. I am really enjoying my level 3 tower I recently purchased and since I am in the same city as HTD I need to go back up to their offices and pick up some rubber pads for my speakers that were inadvertently left out of the boxes. I will have a listen to their subs while there.
post #401 of 419 Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Please do. I'm pretty much sold on the SVS PB-1000 or PB12-NSD, if they still have any in stock in a month or so when I can talk the other half into it.

Once I have the subwoofer I will probably go ahead and buy the HTD Level 3 center, from there I have the dilemma of a second set of bookshelf speakers vs towers. I really want the towers but I don't know if I'm willing to go the extra $500. For a more or less dedicated movie / game HT 5.1 is there as much of a difference one way or the other?
post #402 of 419 Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

I found the Towers much fuller sounding. I have had book shelves for years and just always felt towers provided a fuller sound and they should considering there are more speakers.
post #403 of 419 Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM

Hey, HTD fans...I'm just about to order my first set, and I'd appreciate some input on my plan.

I'm putting together a 7.1 system in a 17x25' area of an open 21x25' space.

The plan is HTD towers, a center, bipole surrounds, and bookshelf rears.  I already have an SVS PB-1000 sub and a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver on order.

My immediate question is whether a full set of Level Two speakers might do well in this space, or whether I might be much better off to make the towers and center Level Three, and leave the rest Level Two?

Or would that be a poor match, and am I going to be sorry if I don't stretch and buy all Level Three for this space?

I'm certainly no audiophile, but I do have a bit of an ear ;)

All thoughts are appreciated!

post #404 of 419 Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 351
You should call the HTD folks. Their customer support has been known to be very good. They'll point you in the right direction.

Afro GT
post #405 of 419 Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland328 View Post

Hey, HTD fans...I'm just about to order my first set, and I'd appreciate some input on my plan.

I'm putting together a 7.1 system in a 17x25' area of an open 21x25' space.

The plan is HTD towers, a center, bipole surrounds, and bookshelf rears.  I already have an SVS PB-1000 sub and a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver on order.

My immediate question is whether a full set of Level Two speakers might do well in this space, or whether I might be much better off to make the towers and center Level Three, and leave the rest Level Two?

Or would that be a poor match, and am I going to be sorry if I don't stretch and buy all Level Three for this space?

I'm certainly no audiophile, but I do have a bit of an ear wink.gif

All thoughts are appreciated!

I have Level TWO towers and surrounds, paired with a PSA XV15 sub in my 23x16x10 room that opens to the rest of the house and I certainly don't want for anything more. smile.gif

post #406 of 419 Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland328 View Post

HTD tech support advised me not to mix Level 2 and Level 3.

Give them a call, they can really help. I even had them look at a diagram of my space to offer placement advice.
post #407 of 419 Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks very much, @afrogt, @D Bone and @horseflesh!

I did send a diagram along to HTD, but they are quoting a week's delay getting back to me.  Naturally, in my mind, ordering speakers is an emergency that can't wait ;)

I'll give them a call.

post #408 of 419 Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

HTD tech support advised me not to mix Level 2 and Level 3.

Give them a call, they can really help. I even had them look at a diagram of my space to offer placement advice.

HTD told me its was ok for the surrounds. I have level 3 front an center with 2 sets of level 2 surrounds for a 7.1 system. Call there an ask for chris. He is a awesome guys an thats who I buy from.

Oh an for the sub I am running a pb1000 from svs

post #409 of 419 Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 AM

FYI, looks like the Level 3 towers are out of stock until "Late June"

I will likely not be buying from HTD now.  If I have to wait, I will wait for the new Arx line to come in around the same time (hopefully).

post #410 of 419 Old 05-01-2014, 01:39 PM

Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypenguin View Post

FYI, looks like the Level 3 towers are out of stock until "Late June"

I will likely not be buying from HTD now.  If I have to wait, I will wait for the new Arx line to come in around the same time (hopefully).

I'm in a similar situation, but piecing it all together...I don't think the A5 will be available anywhere near June.

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #411 of 419 Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

I'm in a similar situation, but piecing it all together...I don't think the A5 will be available anywhere near June.

Agreed.  I may just go with the A3s for fronts.  They have received excellent reviews.  Do you know of anyone who has done a direct comparison between the A3 and A5?

post #412 of 419 Old 05-03-2014, 06:28 PM

What do you all think of the HTD stands for the level 3 bookshelves. I'm about to order some stands and i'm leaning towards these, however i'm down to save some money if anyone knows of quality stands for less than $140.
post #413 of 419 Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey View Post
What do you all think of the HTD stands for the level 3 bookshelves. I'm about to order some stands and i'm leaning towards these, however i'm down to save some money if anyone knows of quality stands for less than $140.
Did you end up getting the stands? If so, are they and do you like them?
post #414 of 419 Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyp View Post
Did you end up getting the stands? If so, are they and do you like them?
I haven't bothered to purchase them yet, I kind of rigged up something with the existing furniture in the living room. It is far from ideal but sometimes life gets in the way of budgeting for audio gear unfortunately! Nonetheless the speakers are, to my ears, flawless. I'm looking forward to transitioning to 3.0 and eventually 3.1 however!
post #415 of 419 Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Hello HTD Owners!

I am new to AV in general and one would still same I am novice (which I am)! I have be given some great advice from the AVS community on my first thread about speakers and receives (Novice looking for advice on first home theater)

I am seriously consider purchasing the Level Two or Level Three bookshelf speakers (or both to test) to start with. Before I make the purchase, I want to check with the HTD owners to see if you have a set of the Level Two or Level Three for sale?
post #416 of 419 Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Hello HTD Owners!

I am new to AV in general and one would still same I am novice (which I am)! I have be given some great advice from the AVS community on my first thread about speakers and receives (Novice looking for advice on first home theater)

I am seriously consider purchasing the Level Two or Level Three bookshelf speakers (or both to test) to start with. Before I make the purchase, I want to check with the HTD owners to see if you have a set of the Level Two or Level Three for sale?
While I do not have a set for sale, I can attest to how good the HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers are. Admittedly I do not have the pedigree that many of the members of our community have however my modest setup (Denon AVR-E300 / HTD Level 3 Bookshelf) is great for my medium sized living room. I especially appreciate them for watching movies, and dialogue is crisp at my average listening volumes even without a center channel. Depending on your budget and the size of your room I would recommend buying the best you can afford whether that be 2.0 / 3.0 / 2.1 / 3.1 and adding as you go along.

My personal goal is to stand mount my Level 3's, buy the Level 3 center channel speaker, and a SVS PB-2000. Eventually i'll add the rear Level 3's or splurge and upgrade my fronts to the Level 3 towers.
post #417 of 419 Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
While I do not have a set for sale, I can attest to how good the HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers are. Admittedly I do not have the pedigree that many of the members of our community have however my modest setup (Denon AVR-E300 / HTD Level 3 Bookshelf) is great for my medium sized living room. I especially appreciate them for watching movies, and dialogue is crisp at my average listening volumes even without a center channel. Depending on your budget and the size of your room I would recommend buying the best you can afford whether that be 2.0 / 3.0 / 2.1 / 3.1 and adding as you go along.

My personal goal is to stand mount my Level 3's, buy the Level 3 center channel speaker, and a SVS PB-2000. Eventually i'll add the rear Level 3's or splurge and upgrade my fronts to the Level 3 towers.
Thanks for the confirmation!

My budget is slim right now (between $500-$600) and will increase early 2015. For now, many of the community recommended I build a solid 2.0 -2.1 system and work on it from as I obtain the funds. The receiver I plan on buying is the Denon AVR-E300 (was recommended several times). Do you have any issues powering the big Level Three Bookshelf's? Also, what stand are you using?
post #418 of 419 Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation!

My budget is slim right now (between $500-$600) and will increase early 2015. For now, many of the community recommended I build a solid 2.0 -2.1 system and work on it from as I obtain the funds. The receiver I plan on buying is the Denon AVR-E300 (was recommended several times). Do you have any issues powering the big Level Three Bookshelf's? Also, what stand are you using?
My Denon AVR-E300 works very well, however I had a bit of an idiot moment when first setting things up. I have mine sitting at ear height on the TV table under our wall mounted TV. It is far from ideal, and I hope to remedy it soon. HTD makes stands for the relatively heavy speakers, however I can't comment on any stands having never used them. I would personally go 2.0 or 3.0 if your budget allows for it. The subwoofer is one of the best additions you can make to your home theater so you owe yourself the favor of not skimping. IMHO you really start to get good options in the $500+ range, and everything i've ever heard from SVS has been phenomenal.
post #419 of 419 Old 07-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
My Denon AVR-E300 works very well, however I had a bit of an idiot moment when first setting things up. I have mine sitting at ear height on the TV table under our wall mounted TV. It is far from ideal, and I hope to remedy it soon. HTD makes stands for the relatively heavy speakers, however I can't comment on any stands having never used them. I would personally go 2.0 or 3.0 if your budget allows for it. The subwoofer is one of the best additions you can make to your home theater so you owe yourself the favor of not skimping. IMHO you really start to get good options in the $500+ range, and everything i've ever heard from SVS has been phenomenal.
Thanks for the information! I just ordered my Denon AVR-E300!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page