Home Theater Direct (HTD) Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I recently came across HTD in another thread. You really don't see many reviews on their products, but they look beautiful. I currently have the Andrew Jones Pioneer towers and curious how these would sound comparatively. I'm not concerned with bass output because of my 5.2 system but I'm looking to change things up.

Another product I was curious if anyone could compare these with is the new EMP Tek bookshelves. These 3 speakers (pioneers, EMP Teks, and HTDs) are all in the similar price range, though the bookshelves would require stands if used as mains.

I have my surrounds on actual bookshelves so no need for extra stands, 12x12 basic room, 2 windows, and a entry door way on opposite side of room the HT is located - about 10 ft. away from my center channel and tv is my listening position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
love mine almost ten years on level 3 bookshelves
only issue sub died a year ago
Old 11-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post
love mine almost ten years on level 3 bookshelves
only issue sub died a year ago
Did the amp die? If so it is pretty easy to modify it to use the new style external amp. Just need to bypass the old amp. It should have speaker level inputs so you can connect the old speaker level input to external amp and internally to the driver and it will all be very clean.

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L3 Tower L/R, Center (1st Gen Dome Tweeters), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Acer H9500BD 1080p 3D Projector with Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
Did the amp die? If so it is pretty easy to modify it to use the new style external amp. Just need to bypass the old amp. It should have speaker level inputs so you can connect the old speaker level input to external amp and internally to the driver and it will all be very clean.
That's the plan when my Inuke arrives will share duty with my DIY sub I'm building right now
Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I recently came across HTD in another thread. You really don't see many reviews on their products, but they look beautiful. I currently have the Andrew Jones Pioneer towers and curious how these would sound comparatively. I'm not concerned with bass output because of my 5.2 system but I'm looking to change things up.

Another product I was curious if anyone could compare these with is the new EMP Tek bookshelves. These 3 speakers (pioneers, EMP Teks, and HTDs) are all in the similar price range, though the bookshelves would require stands if used as mains.

I have my surrounds on actual bookshelves so no need for extra stands, 12x12 basic room, 2 windows, and a entry door way on opposite side of room the HT is located - about 10 ft. away from my center channel and tv is my listening position.
Based on listening to the towers, EMP Tek and HTDs are--in my opinion--better than the Pioneers. Unless maybe you get Dennis Murphy's affordable accuracy versions. I haven't listened to them, but I own his Philharmonitor speakers and trust his ear. For the price the EMP Tek is great, but the treble I found slightly lacking in clarity. The HTD treble I found to be more forward but very smooth. I seem to have a thing for the riboon tweeters I have heard.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Arx speakers use ribbon tweeters, and that's what I've got. Love them! Awesome for both movies and music. You can't go wrong with HTD as well.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased 7 HTD HD-W65 speakers for my dedicated small theater. I wanted in-walls for space constraints as the room is only 15x9.

Of course you have to install them to hear what they sound like. I installed the front three and they sounded decent so I moved forward with the remaining 4. After watching a couple of movies I find that there is a very specific phase kind of sound that they produce primarily on dialogue. I'm guessing it is an issue with the crossover?

I honestly have a hard time putting my finger on exactly what I'm hearing. It isn't muffled. They are crisp and have decent low end. Actually it kind of sounds like it is metallic. Perhaps I'm not used to the aluminum tweeters. Almost like tapping on a piece of sheet metal or something mixed in with the dialogue. Again, hard to explain.

I have tried individual speakers, many different settings and they all seem to do it.

Of course I'm a little screwed as they are painted to match my walls and obviously they would leave behind holes.

I guess I'm looking for anybody else's experience or thoughts on the situation.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Moxified, I had a damn strange problem with my HTDs... It sounded like a bad midrange driver, kind of sizzling during playback of certain sounds. High-pitched string instruments would always do it... bells, chimes, the high ranges of speech, that kind of thing.

I went through two driver replacements, which HTD assured me was damn strange. Drivers rarely fail. They were also emphatic that it would not be the crossover.

In the end, the culprit turned out to be my Pioneer AVR. When I switched to an Onkyo, all my problems went away, and stayed gone.

There is a lot about my case that didn't make sense. Neither my nor HTD really understood what was going on--best guess was the Pioneer had too much DC offset for the HTDs to handle. I even exchanged Pioneers, and the replacement had the same issue... But the Onkyo did not.

So, based on my experience, I suggest you find a way to drive your HTDs with a receiver of a different make, and see if the problem manifests any differently. Yeah, it is a long shot... the sound you describe isn't like the distortion I had. But it's something.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:26 PM

Liked: 0
Klipsch or HTD for a 5.0 system?
Newbie looking for advice. I'm finishing our basement into a combo home theater and family room, approx 14' x 26', but the couch and viewing area are on one side. In a 14' x 15' area of the space. Help me out people: Should i go with Klispch Reference II series in the 52 line - RF -52, RB 52, and RC 52, or Home Theater Direct level 3, 2 towers , 2 bookshelves and a center. These are both in my price range ($1250 vs $1350). Or would bookshelves for fronts be just as good as the towers?

The HTD might have a 6.5" speaker vs the Klipsch 5.5" - but the Klipsch sensitivity is much higher. - well into the 90's. That's the important thing right? These will mostly be used for TV/Movies/Football. I will be using a Denon 2307CI receiver and a Dayton Audio 10" sub. These are to replace my hodgepodge of Polk S6 fronts, Cerwin Vega center channel and JBL rears. Looking for crisper dialogue, will the Level 3 towers with a midrange help this more than using a center and 4 bookshelves if i go with HTD?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Klipsch speakers have higher sensitivity, but their issue is their horn tweeter. To me they sound too bright, which hurt my ears. I would suggest the HTD Level 3 with the ribbon tweeters. I've got the Arx speakers, which use the ribbon tweeter, and they are warm and neutral. Sound much better. I would suggest buying bookshelves speakers, and with the money you save buy a better sub.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
GoPack : Same boat for me - have heard HTD from members but then that Klipsch would be their preference. Can someone define "bright"? Space is the consideration for me and If I can get good TV sound with the RB42/52 and their rears, I might opt for it since I can actually hear them. I do not want to bring in HTD and ship back.

I also thought rear porting would be an issue, but in GoPack's other thread it appears it is not anymore, and Klipsch might be preferred over HTD.

I will have a sub - big room so thinking about adding a 12 or 15" to assist.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have an HTD system, and when I had a problem I got really good email and phone support from the office. If you really can't decide between the two, service might be the tie breaker. I doubt you'd get such good service from a huge brand like Klipsch.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered HTD level 3 bookshelves and center. Hoping to review soon. It's been a while.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Klipsch speakers have higher sensitivity, but their issue is their horn tweeter. To me they sound too bright, which hurt my ears. I would suggest the HTD Level 3 with the ribbon tweeters. I've got the Arx speakers, which use the ribbon tweeter, and they are warm and neutral. Sound much better. I would suggest buying bookshelves speakers, and with the money you save buy a better sub.
Sensitivity matters the most if you require very high sound pressure level (very loud) without using an amplifier that can supply a lot of power or if your speakers have low sensitivity and low power handling.

Sensitivity defines the speaker pressure level SPL that is output by the speaker at 1 watt.
90db sensativity means that they will provide 90db at 1 meter.

After that you lose 6db per extra meter away from the speaker.

So the overall SPL depends on:
  • Sensitivity
  • Speaker Power Handing Capabiilty
  • Amp Power Supplied Before Distortion
  • Distance from the speaker
  • Number Of Speakers (doubling the number of speakers adds 3db)

If you max out your amplifier or speakers then you hit the real SPL limit for the given speaker.

Try this calculator out: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I just got a pair of HTD Middy speakers for my front heights and was surprised to see that they were 90db@1W.

They are more sensitive than the Level 2 bookshelf's which are 87db@1W that I use as surrounds. They max out at 80W but are 3db more sensitive so the specs say that they are actually louder than the Level 2 bookshelf speakers. The Middy speakers can provide 109db at 1M where the Level 2 Bookshelf is only 107db when both are completely maxed out. The middies have less bass response of course but that isn't a big issue for heights or surround channels. In reality a 2db difference would be barely perceivable (the equivalent of 1 foot closer or farther away from each speaker).

The important thing though is that the sensitivity is just for pure pressure level or noise level that is created per watt of power. That says nothing about how they actually sound.

In the end, the 6db of extra sensitivity from the Klipsch is equivalent to sitting 1 meter (3.28ft) farther away from them to achieve the same volume level relative to a 90db HTD speaker.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Purchased the Klipsch's yesterday after listening to them and Definitive audio products at the local electronics store.(Flanner's) The Klipsch are definitively "brassyer" but I like the clarity of vocals and the dialogue. They sound amazing! I went with 52 center and towers, RS 41 surrounds. ~ $1230 with tax. My only question now - should I have gone with 62's? I'm going to go back to the store to give them a listen.

FYI I was willing to pay a little more for the service at a local store, but found the prices the same as the lowest internet prices (Acoustic Sound Design) The salesman Matt explained to me the Klipsch sets the prices and they should be the same everywhere. Also they are 20% off right now as they get ready to introduce a new line in February. The time he spent with me trying different speakers was priceless. Also I sent HTD my plans on Tuesday, and they are closed until Monday. I was able to hear the Klispch (and others) to make a decision, but not the HTD's and unable to speak with them or get some ideas.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pack View Post
Purchased the Klipsch's yesterday after listening to them and Definitive audio products at the local electronics store.(Flanner's) The Klipsch are definitively "brassyer" but I like the clarity of vocals and the dialogue. They sound amazing! I went with 52 center and towers, RS 41 surrounds. ~ $1230 with tax. My only question now - should I have gone with 62's? I'm going to go back to the store to give them a listen.

FYI I was willing to pay a little more for the service at a local store, but found the prices the same as the lowest internet prices (Acoustic Sound Design) The salesman Matt explained to me the Klipsch sets the prices and they should be the same everywhere. Also they are 20% off right now as they get ready to introduce a new line in February. The time he spent with me trying different speakers was priceless. Also I sent HTD my plans on Tuesday, and they are closed until Monday. I was able to hear the Klispch (and others) to make a decision, but not the HTD's and unable to speak with them or get some ideas.
Go with what you like. That's the best thing you can do. Go to the store and listen to them. I've own Klipsch, and to me they were too bright. I've own Polk Audio as well Monitor and RTi / RTiA line and they were too bright as well. The LSi / LSiM line sound great but too expensive for me. I bought the Arx speakers without listening to them, and boy I was happy with the warm and neutral sound of the ribbon tweeters. Martin Logan ribbon tweeters sound similar to the Arx.

If you have a good subwoofer you do not need to get the bigger towers.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Just ordered HTD level 3 bookshelves and center. Hoping to review soon. It's been a while.
Looking forward to seeing the review! For me it is Level 3 bookshelves in front, level 2 center due to size, 12" sub, and Level 2 or in walls for rear (will the midi's work).

Thx!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the review! For me it is Level 3 bookshelves in front, level 2 center due to size, 12" sub, and Level 2 or in walls for rear (will the midi's work).

Thx!
I'm looking forward to writing it!

I am a little confused about what you're saying. Are you saying what you already have? or asking for suggestions for rear surrounds?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Thx!
I wouldn't mix the level 3 bookshelf and the level 2 center. The level 3's have a ribbon tweeter and won't match the level 2 silk dome tweeter...

If you are doing a level 2 center and don't have room for towers then I would suggest using all level 2 center speakers for the L/C/R instead.

Level 2 Centers and Level 3 Bookshelfs

The level 2 centers are $139 each or $278/pair where the level 3 bookshelfs are $319 a pair. IMO the level 2 center is very similar in performance to the level 3 bookshelf... The level 2 center has just slightly less range with 52Hz/20kHz vs. 47Hz/40kHz, the level 2 center is more sensitive and has the same power handling of 120W. The dual 5.25" drivers actually offer more cone area @ ~44in^2 (~22in^2*2) vs ~33in^2 for the single 6.5" driver and I usually set the crossover at 80Hz for everything except the towers so the lowest frequencies aren't an issue anyway.

I run the level 2 centers for L/R in my living room, with them oriented vertically and the tweeters on the inside (which means that one is upside down relative to the other but you can only see that on the rear with the binding posts being low on one and high on the other). The 5.25 drivers will the push the high frequencies from the tweeter slightly inward and work very well for left/right speakers. They offer grilles with no logo to accommodate this.

The Level 2 centers and Level 3 bookshelfs are also pretty similar in size where the level 2 centers are taller but overall smaller.

Level 2 Center vs. Level 3 Bookshelf

I have a pair of older style level 3 bookshelf's (6.5" drivers and 1" silk dome tweeter) in the workout area and I like the level 2 centers better.

If you really like the ribbon tweeter then go with the level 3's but then you really need all 3 fronts to be level 3's to sound right (timbre match) unless you aren't picky... I got locked into the dome tweeters due to my older Level 3 setup that predated the change to ribbon tweeters.

I haven't played with the ribbon tweeters but I think I have one or more of everything except the dipole/bipole and the new versa speakers that use the 1" silk dome tweeter.

Middy Speakers

Middy speakers sound quite good but I have only had them for a week. I wouldn't say that the Middy speakers are "as good" as the level 2 bookshelf speakers but they are very good for their compact size. The flat panel speakers are actually better than the level 2 bookshelf speakers IMO though as they are basically a Middy plus 2 extra 4 inch drivers (this is my living room center channel speaker which pairs with the level 2 centers for L/R).

Physically the Middys appear to be basically a mini level 2 center speaker that uses 2.5" drivers instead of 5.25" drivers. Unlike the level 2 center vs. level 3 main, the driver area of the Middy is much less at ~8in^2 (~4in^2*2) vs ~22in^2. This is the tradeoff for being small.

Middy vs. Level 2 bookshelf vs Flat panel.

Knowing how good the Middys sound I wouldn't hesitate to use them as surround speakers (especially rear surrounds which are the least critical surround speaker). I have them as heights which require even less low frequency handing than surrounds. I might very well get middy speakers mounted vertically for surrounds instead of the level 2 bookshelfs if I were to do it again but either way they both work great. The Level 2 bookshelfs do allow me to set the crossover at 80Hz where the Middys would be 100 or 120Hz.

-Rich

Last edited by rfb6435; 12-28-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to writing it!

I am a little confused about what you're saying. Are you saying what you already have? or asking for suggestions for rear surrounds?

My room is large, so I was leaning towards the Level 3 R/L, but no space for the L3 Center. The L2 Center will fit. And the in wall - my mistake I called it the middy - MP-W50 look good too and probably would save me some grief from my wife over the L2 Surrounds that will be on the rear wall as my only choice.

No purchase yet, I am watching for a sale.

Last edited by wardman1; 12-28-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone purchased the Versay HTS1's yet? (http://www.htd.com/Products/Versa-Ca...rs/VERSA-HTS1#) I heard about them in another thread but it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of information or reviews on them yet. I'm not familiar with the brand but owners of the level 2 and level 3's seem to like them.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Appreciate the detailed feedback! Reading what you are saying, it's ribbon vs silk dome. I think the gist would be to stay with the complete Level 2 package but perhaps replace the L2 Surrounds with the in wall MP-50W.

Using the centers is not an option for me either - 15 inches of height is close to max for me. For the center, 19" width is all I have to put the center in.

I saw GoPack went with the Klipsch and I also think forward ported is better from my reading, so Klipsch would need to get to the RB61's but then the RC-42 due to size. Mixing and matching again....
Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
My room is large, so I was leaning towards the Level 3 R/L, but no space for the L3 Center. The L2 Center will fit. And the in wall - my mistake I called it the middy - MP-W50 look good too and probably would save me some grief from my wife over the L2 Surrounds that will be on the rear wall as my only choice.

I would avoid the MP line of in wall speakers for home theater (based on a conversation comparing them to the HD line with HTD in the past). The HD speakers are much better than the MP line and even if they don't have the perfect timbre match they still perform better than the MP line. I am pretty sure that the MP line silk dome tweeter is still different than the level 2 silk dome tweeter or the crossovers are different enough to where they don't really timbre match the level 2's anyway (I should double check the timbre but the performance was my reason for avoiding them).

If you can only do rear wall then you could also consider the bipole/dipole speakers which will help out the 5.1 system to fill the room better. But they are bigger and more expensive so anyway... I had HD-W65's in my old house on the side walls and they worked well so you could go with those on the rear walls.

I have heard that the HD inwall/inceiling speakers with the aluminum tweeters match the ribbon tweeters better than the level 2 domes.

Angled ceiling speakers are another option if you have flat ceilings. They are actually less noticeable to my wife than in wall speakers are.... I have the angled in HD angled AIM ceiling speakers HD-R65AIM as my side surrounds because the basement is really a 3 wall room and I didn't get spousal approval for anything except the ceiling speakers on the sides. I also have them as rear surounds in the living room which is also a big open 3 walled room. I would prefer wall speakers over the angled ceiling speakers but it just isn't an option sometimes. I don't notice the timbre mismatch on the surrounds but it would be more of a concern on any of the front speakers.

I actually just put in Middy front heights instead of another pair of R65AIMs because I eventually want them for atmos dialogue lift and I didn't want there to be a timbre mismatch with the center channel. My wife wasn't all that thrilled with 2 more speakers ("What are those, they look like ears on the screen.") above the screen though so I might still have to swap out the Middys for the AIMs depending on if she forgets about it or not.

So basically I would suggest either going with the better HD in wall speakers or using bookshelf/middy speakers for the surrounds depending on how much of an audio geek you are. If you aren't that critical and are on a budgetthen the MPs can also work but for $50 more in the scheme of things the HDs are better.

-Rich

Last edited by rfb6435; 12-28-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I would avoid the MP line of in wall speakers for home theater (based on a conversation comparing them to the HD line with HTD in the past). The HD speakers are much better than the MP line and even if they don't have the perfect timbre match they still perform better than the MP line. I am pretty sure that the MP line silk dome tweeter is still different than the level 2 silk dome tweeter or the crossovers are different enough to where they don't really timbre match the level 2's anyway (I should double check the timbre but the performance was my reason for avoiding them).

If you can only do rear wall then you could also consider the bipole/dipole speakers which will help out the 5.1 system to fill the room better. But they are bigger and more expensive so anyway... I had HD-W65's in my old house on the side walls and they worked well so you could go with those on the rear walls.

I have heard that the HD inwall/inceiling speakers with the aluminum tweeters match the ribbon tweeters better than the level 2 domes.

Angled ceiling speakers are another option if you have flat ceilings. They are actually less noticeable to my wife than in wall speakers are.... I have the angled in HD angled AIM ceiling speakers HD-R65AIM as my side surrounds because the basement is really a 3 wall room and I didn't get spousal approval for anything except the ceiling speakers on the sides. I also have them as rear surounds in the living room which is also a big open 3 walled room. I would prefer wall speakers over the angled ceiling speakers but it just isn't an option sometimes. I don't notice the timbre mismatch on the surrounds but it would be more of a concern on any of the front speakers.

I actually just put in Middy front heights instead of another pair of R65AIMs because I eventually want them for atmos dialogue lift and I didn't want there to be a timbre mismatch with the center channel. My wife wasn't all that thrilled with 2 more speakers ("What are those, they look like ears on the screen.") above the screen though so I might still have to swap out the Middys for the AIMs depending on if she forgets about it or not.

So basically I would suggest either going with the better HD in wall speakers or using bookshelf/middy speakers for the surrounds depending on how much of an audio geek you are. If you aren't that critical and are on a budgetthen the MPs can also work but for $50 more in the scheme of things the HDs are better.

-Rich
Thanks Rich - HD's it would be or the larger L2 Surrounds on a rear wall. No way to get into my ceiling in this room. Matching the front is most important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Den.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	447418  
Old 12-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They do not have sales. I would go with LEVEL 2 front stage. L,C,R and either LEVEL 2 surrounds or middys.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
They do not have sales. I would go with LEVEL 2 front stage. L,C,R and either LEVEL 2 surrounds or middys.
They have one sale per year; the aniversary sale it is usually 10%. It will be soon..... I also check the b-stock page from time to time.

I agree, the bipoles, L2 bookshelf, or middy for surrounds. Of course you could go tower or vertical center for surrounds if money and space arent concerns...

Old 12-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They have one sale per year; the aniversary sale it is usually 10%. It will be soon..... I also check the b-stock page from time to time.

I agree, the bipoles, L2 bookshelf, or middy for surrounds. Of course you could go tower or vertical center for surrounds if money and space arent concerns...
Though I agree, but if money wasn't a concern, I wouldn't be using HTD speakers :P

I would be using MMThrees http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmthree/
and my surrounds would be http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmtwo/ gotta keep a good budget and save money on surrounds :P

http://evolutionacoustics.com/evolut...brochure-4.pdf

So I think he has the budget for L2 bookshelves all the way around, saving money by not using the L3 L and R speakers. I would really prefer having L2 bookshelves over middys because I prefer the 80hz crossover instead of a safe 100 or 120. It actually make a decent different for gaming and high action packed movies. Gives a little life to rear explosions, etc.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rich - HD's it would be or the larger L2 Surrounds on a rear wall. No way to get into my ceiling in this room. Matching the front is most important.
After looking at your picture...

That is a challenging room. I would probably give up on rear surrounds for the following reason:

For rear surrounds to work effectivly they need to be a couple of feet behind the seating area or they will just go over your head and you probably won't hear them well . If you have them right on top of the couch it probably won't be very effective. Based on the couch being that close to the wall you might have to use the in-wall speakers if you go with rear surrounds. The reason for this is because a bookshelf, middy, etc with mount will effectively be forward another 5-10 inches. The middies with a keyhole mount are about 5" deep so even the small ones are almost directly on top of your head.

Additionally even in 5.1 surrounds should be the side surrounds rather than rear surrounds. You can use rear surrounds basically to act as side surrounds but it isn't as good and most content assumes that the surrounds are to your sides. This might not always have been true in the pro-logic days but now almost every setup says "7.1 keeps the side surrounds and adds rear surrounds." If you run 7.1 the rear surrounds are the least used and for most content I have to use ProLogicIIx expansion to even get content for them (bluray is about the only real 7.1 source and directv, etc is all 5.1). Heck some 7.1 content is really just processed 5.1 with something similar to PLIIx anyway...

If you try to do side surrounds they should actually be at 110 degrees or so behind the couch aswell but can be at 90 if need be so really your best option is to have some sort of speaker stand or "bookshelf" to put the speakers on the back wall to the left and right of your couch. I think if you put actual matching book shelves on each side of the couch you could then put a middy or L2 in the far end of each pointed at your couch at 110 degrees and it would work perfectly. My wife actually likes shelves... You can tell the wife that she can put books or nick-nacs or whatever everywhere on the shelf except where the "tiny little" speaker goes. The speakers will be pointed inward so the wire connections will show unless they are hidden in the outside corner of the shelf. I think a middy mounted vertically could be almost invisible in a bookshelf so you might get approval.

If you were to go with side surrounds and don't want to have a shelf there then I would just get tower speakers. By the time you pay for stands and bookshelf speakers the cost difference isn't that big. Plus the wire connections on the towers is low and not very noticeable compared to having them up high in plain sight on a stand. I had stands once (okay well they were PVC pipe stands filled with sand and fabric covered) and the wife hated them... For the extra $61 ($419 for towers vs $219+$139 for L2BS+stands) towers actually look better IMO and are definitely a better speaker. I don't get the stand thing unless you are using cheap stands with cheap speakers (or get a deal on one or the other)...

Alternatively...

Is there a flat wall past the "open under..." to your right accross the room? If you have a receiver with room correction (or just set the distance properly you can have the right speaker be an extra 10ft away and still work mounted on the far wall firing into the room from far away.... The speaker volume just has to be turned up 6db per meter to match the distance.

For example, my wide left speaker at 15.5ft diagonally on the back wall and the other is at 10ft away diagonally 4ft down the right side wall. The angles are the same and the distance is corrected.

You can also upload your plans to HTD and discuss options with them. They have people that do this all day long and might have an even better idea than what I have.

-Rich

Last edited by rfb6435; 12-29-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Around Jan 24 is the 10% off sale
hoyalawya likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
After looking at your picture...

That is a challenging room. I would probably give up on rear surrounds for the following reason:

For rear surrounds to work effectivly they need to be a couple of feet behind the seating area or they will just go over your head and you probably won't hear them well . If you have them right on top of the couch it probably won't be very effective. Based on the couch being that close to the wall you might have to use the in-wall speakers if you go with rear surrounds. The reason for this is because a bookshelf, middy, etc with mount will effectively be forward another 5-10 inches. The middies with a keyhole mount are about 5" deep so even the small ones are almost directly on top of your head.

Additionally even in 5.1 surrounds should be the side surrounds rather than rear surrounds. You can use rear surrounds basically to act as side surrounds but it isn't as good and most content assumes that the surrounds are to your sides. This might not always have been true in the pro-logic days but now almost every setup says "7.1 keeps the side surrounds and adds rear surrounds." If you run 7.1 the rear surrounds are the least used and for most content I have to use ProLogicIIx expansion to even get content for them (bluray is about the only real 7.1 source and directv, etc is all 5.1). Heck some 7.1 content is really just processed 5.1 with something similar to PLIIx anyway...

If you try to do side surrounds they should actually be at 110 degrees or so behind the couch aswell but can be at 90 if need be so really your best option is to have some sort of speaker stand or "bookshelf" to put the speakers on the back wall to the left and right of your couch. I think if you put actual matching book shelves on each side of the couch you could then put a middy or L2 in the far end of each pointed at your couch at 110 degrees and it would work perfectly. My wife actually likes shelves... You can tell the wife that she can put books or nick-nacs or whatever everywhere on the shelf except where the "tiny little" speaker goes. The speakers will be pointed inward so the wire connections will show unless they are hidden in the outside corner of the shelf. I think a middy mounted vertically could be almost invisible in a bookshelf so you might get approval.

If you were to go with side surrounds and don't want to have a shelf there then I would just get tower speakers. By the time you pay for stands and bookshelf speakers the cost difference isn't that big. Plus the wire connections on the towers is low and not very noticeable compared to having them up high in plain sight on a stand. I had stands once (okay well they were PVC pipe stands filled with sand and fabric covered) and the wife hated them... For the extra $61 ($419 for towers vs $219+$139 for L2BS+stands) towers actually look better IMO and are definitely a better speaker. I don't get the stand thing unless you are using cheap stands with cheap speakers (or get a deal on one or the other)...

Alternatively...

Is there a flat wall past the "open under..." to your right accross the room? If you have a receiver with room correction (or just set the distance properly you can have the right speaker be an extra 10ft away and still work mounted on the far wall firing into the room from far away.... The speaker volume just has to be turned up 6db per meter to match the distance.

For example, my wide left speaker at 15.5ft diagonally on the back wall and the other is at 10ft away diagonally 4ft down the right side wall. The angles are the same and the distance is corrected.

You can also upload your plans to HTD and discuss options with them. They have people that do this all day long and might have an even better idea than what I have.

-Rich
Thanks Rich - good idea on sending the diagram to HTD. Behind the "open" note is/are more walls but not for hanging anything on. Just couldn't happen.

Don't pounce, but my current system is a Bose LS48 so the rears are directionally pointed to the listening area and I get some good rear sounds watching sports and movies. Maybe it is older ProLogic, but it's enough that I like them. It's why I thought the HTD in walls might work since the tweeter can be directed a bit.

No way to move any wires in the room anymore on walls/ceilings, and wish I had more knowledge before completing the house 2 years ago. HTD L2 Bookshelf fronts, L2 center, 12 inch sub, and the HD in walls may be my preferred option.

And yes, the sale is end of January that I am honing in on.

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver