Home Theater Direct (HTD) Owner's Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #481 of 497 Old 12-31-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just got in the speakers (Macassar ebony). They look absolutely amazing. They do NOT look like $350/pair for bookshelves and $250 for the center. Wow.

I got the stands as well, so I will be reviewing those also. My receiver should be here friday, and hoping to test saturday and will post the review hopefully by monday with pictures.

Total cost about $850 with stands and shipping ($45 flat)
zieglj01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 497 Old 01-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I just got in the speakers (Macassar ebony). They look absolutely amazing. They do NOT look like $350/pair for bookshelves and $250 for the center. Wow.

I got the stands as well, so I will be reviewing those also. My receiver should be here friday, and hoping to test saturday and will post the review hopefully by monday with pictures.

Total cost about $850 with stands and shipping ($45 flat)
Congrats bgtighe23 !

Anyone chiming in on this thread help with installations in the Philly area? That will be my next task assuming the L2 package is it with in wall rears - although bipole rears still have me intrigued as an option.
post #483 of 497 Old 01-01-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
Congrats bgtighe23 !

Anyone chiming in on this thread help with installations in the Philly area? That will be my next task assuming the L2 package is it with in wall rears - although bipole rears still have me intrigued as an option.
Sorry can't help with the install. I did confirm with HTD that the HD speakers are a closer match to the L2 than the MP line is.

While not a perfect timbre match due to different component materials, etc they still tried to match the HD line as much as possible. It falls somewhere between the L2 and L3 lines to work well with both.

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct Lvl 3 Tower L/C/R (Older Dome Tweeter Versions), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct Lvl 2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR. AIM In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Acer H9500BD / Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 01-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.
post #484 of 497 Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know some people have mentioned they used 3 center speakers for L-C-R

What did you do about the logo's for the speakers mounted vertically? I tried calling to see if they could move them and they said they were unable to do it at this time
post #485 of 497 Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
I know some people have mentioned they used 3 center speakers for L-C-R

What did you do about the logo's for the speakers mounted vertically? I tried calling to see if they could move them and they said they were unable to do it at this time
When I did it I got grilles with no logos. Perhaps no logos would be an option even if moving them isn't.

They actually stopped putting logos on the Middy and flat panel speakers for that reason.

I did verify that the HTD Level 3 Kapton ribbons didn't have as much of an off axis issue being turned sideways as some speakers with mylar ribbons do. As long as the listening angle is within reason (say 30 degrees) the level 3 centers can also be used sideways. Of course it is not a concern with the level 2's.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct Lvl 3 Tower L/C/R (Older Dome Tweeter Versions), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct Lvl 2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR. AIM In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
post #486 of 497 Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
When I did it I got grilles with no logos. Perhaps no logos would be an option even if moving them isn't.

They actually stopped putting logos on the Middy and flat panel speakers for that reason.

I did verify that the HTD Level 3 Kapton ribbons didn't have as much of an off axis issue being turned sideways as some speakers with mylar ribbons do. As long as the listening angle is within reason (say 30 degrees) the level 3 centers can also be used sideways. Of course it is not a concern with the level 2's.

-Rich

I guess they just don't have any grills without a logo in stock. They did say they were fairly easy to remove though

I am going with Level 2's
post #487 of 497 Old 01-07-2015, 06:35 AM

OK, now that I am about to pull the trigger- I'm second guessing myself!

I was originally going to do level 2's for my L-C-R

but now I'm wondering if I should go with 3 flat panels?

I do have an odd room as this is a family room, and the TV and couch is kinda tucked into a 1/4 of the room

This is an old picture (currently remodeling) but the TV will be where the cabinate is on the wall, and the couch will be between the pole and wall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	464706  
post #488 of 497 Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
OK, now that I am about to pull the trigger- I'm second guessing myself!

I was originally going to do level 2's for my L-C-R

but now I'm wondering if I should go with 3 flat panels?

I do have an odd room as this is a family room, and the TV and couch is kinda tucked into a 1/4 of the room

This is an old picture (currently remodeling) but the TV will be where the cabinate is on the wall, and the couch will be between the pole and wall
The level 2 towers and centers are better than the flat panels performance wise but worse space wise. IMO The flat panel is on par or better sound wise than the level 2 bookshelf but has 20Hz less bass response I usually set the crossover to 100Hz on the flat panel speaker and 80Hz on the bookshelf.

I like the flat panel as a center channel because it fits better under a TV when wall mounted than a level2 center does. If you have shelf/stand below the TV then I would go with the level2 center if not then the flat panel is a good option as long as you have a subwoofer.

-Rich

post #489 of 497 Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 PM

I was going to do three level 2 centers.

Can you mix flat pannels for the left and right and use a level 2 center?

I have a 75" TV and I'm thinking the level 2 centers won't look good mounted on the side
I will have a PSA XV15se for a sub, so should be OK for bass
post #490 of 497 Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I was going to do three level 2 centers.

Can you mix flat pannels for the left and right and use a level 2 center?

I have a 75" TV and I'm thinking the level 2 centers won't look good mounted on the side
I will have a PSA XV15se for a sub, so should be OK for bass
You can mix and match them but in general I would probably stay with the 3 centers. Most people will find that the center is the harder speaker to make look right. The level 2 center is still probably much deeper than your TV will be so I think that would look weird. Plus I generally want some low frequency response from the L/R but that is just my opinion. With a 15" subwoofer I would worry about how well the system's response would be around 100-150Hz on the L/R speakers. It looks like a nice subwoofer but 15" subs don't do their best work at 150Hz.

Overall I see where you are coming from with the center being the most important speaker so you don't want to compromise it but it would probably also look strange to have flat panels for mains and a bigger/deeper center.

For optimal sound you really want the tweeters all at as close of a height as possible which would mean that the flat panels should really be in an H pattern rather than the U pattern that looks best around the TV. So it is all in if you want looks, sound, some of each, etc.

The Left and right usually look good on stands or just bite the bullet and get a set of level 2 towers. The stands aren't cheap and are basically the same footprint and don't give you the better cabinet or hide the wires as well so I don't see the point (just my opinion).

I would just call HTD and see what they think for your setup.

-Rich

post #491 of 497 Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
You can mix and match them but in general I would probably stay with the 3 centers. Most people will find that the center is the harder speaker to make look right. The level 2 center is still probably much deeper than your TV will be so I think that would look weird. Plus I generally want some low frequency response from the L/R but that is just my opinion. With a 15" subwoofer I would worry about how well the system's response would be around 100-150Hz on the L/R speakers. It looks like a nice subwoofer but 15" subs don't do their best work at 150Hz.

Overall I see where you are coming from with the center being the most important speaker so you don't want to compromise it but it would probably also look strange to have flat panels for mains and a bigger/deeper center.

For optimal sound you really want the tweeters all at as close of a height as possible which would mean that the flat panels should really be in an H pattern rather than the U pattern that looks best around the TV. So it is all in if you want looks, sound, some of each, etc.

The Left and right usually look good on stands or just bite the bullet and get a set of level 2 towers. The stands aren't cheap and are basically the same footprint and don't give you the better cabinet or hide the wires as well so I don't see the point (just my opinion).

I would just call HTD and see what they think for your setup.

-Rich
Thanks! I wasn't worried about looks because I could fit the level 2 center in my TV stand, so all you would see on the wall would be the left and right

I can't get towers because I have a 10 month old, plus the wall isn't big enough, so in order to get the towers outside the TV, I would have to put the sub inbetwen them
post #492 of 497 Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all-

Leaning towards some level 3's for a new surround setup and was just wondering if there was anyone somewhat local in the CT/NY/MA area that would like some beer or something... And I dunno, maybe listen to a movie and some music for a bit?

Even level 2's, or any HTD setup at all could be helpful. Thanks!
post #493 of 497 Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape111 View Post
Hello all-

Leaning towards some level 3's for a new surround setup and was just wondering if there was anyone somewhat local in the CT/NY/MA area that would like some beer or something... And I dunno, maybe listen to a movie and some music for a bit?

Even level 2's, or any HTD setup at all could be helpful. Thanks!
If you are asking, reach out to HTD, they have install partners.
post #494 of 497 Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
If you are asking, reach out to HTD, they have install partners.
Thanks!
post #495 of 497 Old 01-10-2015, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just posted my LEVEL 3 bookshelf review http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post30696481
post #496 of 497 Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Eagerly awaiting for January 23rd to order a pair of Level Three Towers, a Level Three Center, and two Flat Panel Speakers (already pre-wired for on-wall surrounds) for my new house. I am currently using Ascend Sierra 1-Nrt in a 2.0 configuration and I love them. Want to get ribbon tweeter speakers and upgrade the LR to towers. Don't have the cash to get Sierra Tower with ribbon tweeters, upgrade one of the speakers to Sierra 2, and a pair of on-wall surrounds. Have anyone heard both the Ascend Sierra and HTD Level Three and can compare the two?

Last edited by hoyalawya; 01-13-2015 at 11:57 PM.
post #497 of 497 Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyalawya View Post
Eagerly awaiting for January 23rd to order a pair of Level Three Towers, a Level Three Center, and two Flat Panel Speakers (already pre-wired for on-wall surrounds) for my new house. I am currently using Ascend Sierra 1-Nrt in a 2.0 configuration and I love them. Want to get ribbon tweeter speakers and upgrade the LR to towers. Don't have the cash to get Sierra Tower with ribbon tweeters, upgrade one of the speakers to Sierra 2, and a pair of on-wall surrounds. Have anyone heard both the Ascend Sierra and HTD Level Three and can compare the two?
I've come from a Sierra system in my home theater and will be glad to share with you my personal opinion. First of all, I do not listen to music...it's movies all the way. Second, my HT is TINY measuring only 12x11. None-the-less, despite it's small size there were many times my wife would ask me, ''What did he/she say???'' And even though I kicked-up the center channel volume, the question would often persist. So I decided to try the HTD level 3 center and....no more questions! Dialogue-wise I find the center channel to be clear and natural. I would also add a couple of other observations...first, the sound field has widened. Now I am no audio expert, but I would think this wide sound field has something to do with the shape of the tweeter. The end result is that it has enhanced both left and right speakers (they sound fuller / richer). The base coming from the center is better as well. I am not talking about the ''boomy'' base, but rather a base that you can feel when paired up with a subwoofer. Lastly, the customer support is great. They take the time to listen and to give an honest answer to your questions. The bottom line for me is that this level three center is great and as a result I have a pair of level 3 book shelves on the way! Again, this is one person's opinion. Your preference, listen environment etc. will enable you to decide. Good luck with your audio quest!
hoyalawya likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver