Home Theater Direct (HTD) Owner's Thread - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #511 of 534 Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by budahbuddy803 View Post
Hopefully you can see my beautifully sketched "wiring diagram" I tried to attach. The issue is, when I use my TV, if I turn up the "volume" on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer output stays the same (ie. the speakers do not stay blended with the sub, they outpower the sub). If I turn the gain up on the sub amp to match the speakers (at the higher volume) and then turn the volume down on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer outpowers the tower speakers.

I can set the gain and volume on the 2 channel and increase the output of the towers and sub simultaneously using the volume on the TV. What I was looking for is a receiver that would take the audio output from the TV (and laptop for that matter) and take full control of simultaneous output increasing/decreasing like my TV does. I wanted to be able to set my TV volume to 20/80, set my 2 channel amp volume to a little less than 1/2, and gain ~1/4 and then control the overall output of the towers and sub, simultaneously by using the receiver remote. My thinking is a device that takes full control of the audio output from any device, and then increases or decreases the audio signal to each amplifier at the same increments using 1 volume control.

Using the audio out on my 2ch to send the audio signal to the subwoofer amp is basically the same as if I were to run the audio signal directly from the TV to the sub amp. I was thinking that the 2 channel would have more of an influence on the audio signal output (as in, the audio signal output could be controlled by the 2 channel amp, but instead, it goes from the TV, somewhat bypasses the 2 channel, and goes straight to the mono amp).

When I purchased the new receiver, the same exact thing was occurring. I had the TV audio output > receiver input 1, the audio output from the receiver > audio input of 2 channel, and audio out from the 2 channel > audio input of the sub amp. Turning the volume up/down on the receiver did nothing (unless you had speakers connected to its internal amp).
This issue is really more of an amplifier question than an HTD speaker question so it really should be in a different subforum.

The issue is that you should be using a variable preout from a TV or receiver for the subwoofer and speaker amplifiers.

The amplifier RCA output from the amplifier is just a passthrough from the inputs. It is not affected and not supposed to be affected by the "level" of the stereo amplifier. In this case "volume" only applies to the speakers and not the RCA passthrough.

The TV preouts are probably a fixed level rather than variable with the TV volume.

The best way to do this is with a an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) or stereo receiver rather than a stereo amplifier. The receiver then controls the volume with a variable preout for both the amplifier and subwoofer amplifier. With the receiver you do still need a receiver with "preouts" which process the audio and add a variable level. If you just connect a passthrough on the receiver then once again the signal is not modified with the volume controls.

For example on an Onkyo TX-8050 stereo receiver (which has less outputs and makes it eaiser to discuss than an full multi channel AVR):

Only the "preout" (top middle) will do what you want, if you connect to the TV/Tape or VCR/DVR outputs it is probably just a passthrough....

Given your current equipment (without a receiver)...

One solution that can probably work is if you use the headphone 3.5mm jack from the TV and connect that to the amplifiers using a stereo 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter. That should give you a variable output from the TV that changes with the TV volume where the RCA preouts won't change with the TV volume. Then both the stereo amplifier and the subwoofer amp will see a higher level on their inputs and can stay in sync. I do something like this with my back yard TV and a marine (car) stereo that runs my outdoor speakers. This may give inferior audio with more noise compared to the RCA outputs to a receiver but it should work.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L3 Tower L/R, Center (1st Gen Dome Tweeters), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Acer H9500BD 1080p 3D Projector with Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 03-10-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 534 Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for the wrong section. I just searched HTD and this came up. I didn't even think about looking at the category.

My TV must have variable output because if I increase e TV volume, both the speakers and sub turn up at the same level.

I just need to tune better so all I use is the TV remote. Only issue that will cause is when I change sources to my laptop.
post #513 of 534 Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by budahbuddy803 View Post
Hopefully you can see my beautifully sketched "wiring diagram" I tried to attach. The issue is, when I use my TV, if I turn up the "volume" on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer output stays the same (ie. the speakers do not stay blended with the sub, they outpower the sub). If I turn the gain up on the sub amp to match the speakers (at the higher volume) and then turn the volume down on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer outpowers the tower speakers.

I can set the gain and volume on the 2 channel and increase the output of the towers and sub simultaneously using the volume on the TV. What I was looking for is a receiver that would take the audio output from the TV (and laptop for that matter) and take full control of simultaneous output increasing/decreasing like my TV does. I wanted to be able to set my TV volume to 20/80, set my 2 channel amp volume to a little less than 1/2, and gain ~1/4 and then control the overall output of the towers and sub, simultaneously by using the receiver remote. My thinking is a device that takes full control of the audio output from any device, and then increases or decreases the audio signal to each amplifier at the same increments using 1 volume control.

Using the audio out on my 2ch to send the audio signal to the subwoofer amp is basically the same as if I were to run the audio signal directly from the TV to the sub amp. I was thinking that the 2 channel would have more of an influence on the audio signal output (as in, the audio signal output could be controlled by the 2 channel amp, but instead, it goes from the TV, somewhat bypasses the 2 channel, and goes straight to the mono amp).

When I purchased the new receiver, the same exact thing was occurring. I had the TV audio output > receiver input 1, the audio output from the receiver > audio input of 2 channel, and audio out from the 2 channel > audio input of the sub amp. Turning the volume up/down on the receiver did nothing (unless you had speakers connected to its internal amp).
You need to get an actual receiver. Not a power amplifier.

A receiver will connect itself to your TV through an HDMI and that should be the only cable needed (other than the power cord, obviously). The receiver will also power your speakers. I don't think you should have to manually turn the sub gain up when using an external sub amp.

The receiver is the brain of the operation. It outputs video to your TV (turn your TV speakers off), and audio to your speakers. A receiver have a sub pre-out which should send a stronger signal which will create more bass output instead of having to go and manually turn up the dial on the sub amplifier. If everything is done correctly, you shouldn't have to manually change anything.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review - Motion 40 and HTD Level 2 Tower review coming "soon"!
Receiver : Denon x4000
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Towers, surrounds
Subwoofer : PB1000 (soon to be duals!)
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #514 of 534 Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
You need to get an actual receiver. Not a power amplifier.

A receiver will connect itself to your TV through an HDMI and that should be the only cable needed (other than the power cord, obviously). The receiver will also power your speakers. I don't think you should have to manually turn the sub gain up when using an external sub amp.

The receiver is the brain of the operation. It outputs video to your TV (turn your TV speakers off), and audio to your speakers. A receiver have a sub pre-out which should send a stronger signal which will create more bass output instead of having to go and manually turn up the dial on the sub amplifier. If everything is done correctly, you shouldn't have to manually change anything.
I do not have cable, I use an antenna so the HDMI option for video is a no go unless they have something for a TV antenna on receivers now and days.

I do not want the receiver to power any of my speakers. I have amplifiers for them already.

Is this not a "receiver"? It says that it is and it doesn't have any pre-outs.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=4156007

What I "need" to solve my "issue" is a receiver with two pre-out, one for the sub amp and one for my tower speakers' amp. However, I can run everything using the audio out on my TV. When I use the TV remote, everything turns up at the same level. In the future, a receiver as I just described will work well, especially for multiple audio sources.
post #515 of 534 Old 04-09-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone know what happened to the flat pannel speakers? They no longer are on the website, and are not even listed under the discontinued models?
post #516 of 534 Old 04-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Hello...First time poster, long time lurker!

Looking to buy HTD Level 3's. Bookshelf fronts, Level 3 center. What surrounds would you guys suggest? Also, what would be the best way to mount the surrounds?
post #517 of 534 Old 04-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millinium View Post
Hello...First time poster, long time lurker!

Looking to buy HTD Level 3's. Bookshelf fronts, Level 3 center. What surrounds would you guys suggest? Also, what would be the best way to mount the surrounds?
That depends on your budget. If you can afford and accommodate the size of the Level 3 bookshelves, then I would get another set of Level 3 bookshelves for surround use as well.

You could wall mount them, but I'm not sure how they will hold up with multiple wall anchors, they probably would need to be in a stud for security, but then that could possibly make the surrounds non symmetrical - no big deal to fix from an audio stand point, but visually, that would kill me.

You could simply purchase the HTD stands, or some cheaper ones from Sanus on amazon.

bipole/dipole speakers have a different surround sound experience than using bookshelves, but I think you will be fine with bookshelves as surrounds if you have a med/small room.

Either way, I own the Level 2 towers, and I am a previous owner of the Level 3 bookshelves and I enjoy both speaker very much. The level 2 is no slouch and the bookshelves will be fine as surrounds to save some money.

Last edited by bgtighe23; 04-18-2015 at 09:00 PM.
post #518 of 534 Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
That depends on your budget. If you can afford and accommodate the size of the Level 3 bookshelves, then I would get another set of Level 3 bookshelves for surround use as well.

You could wall mount them, but I'm not sure how they will hold up with multiple wall anchors, they probably would need to be in a stud for security, but then that could possibly make the surrounds non symmetrical - no big deal to fix from an audio stand point, but visually, that would kill me.

You could simply purchase the HTD stands, or some cheaper ones from Sanus on amazon.

bipole/dipole speakers have a different surround sound experience than using bookshelves, but I think you will be fine with bookshelves as surrounds if you have a med/small room.

Either way, I own the Level 2 towers, and I am a previous owner of the Level 3 bookshelves and I enjoy both speaker very much. The level 2 is no slouch and the bookshelves will be fine as surrounds to save some money.
Thanks..I initially thought of doing that (budget lets me) however, I think the size might be the biggest problem. I may need a smaller footprint. I'm trying to do the wife approved speakers as well.
post #519 of 534 Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks..I initially thought of doing that (budget lets me) however, I think the size might be the biggest problem. I may need a smaller footprint. I'm trying to do the wife approved speakers as well.
The Macassar finish of the Level 2s and 3s are quite beautiful. However, they do not match all decor. But it also depends on how you look at it. I wanted my speakers to stand out and be noticed, so even though the finish didn't match the decor of the room, the speaker matched in their own sense.

The Level 2s are great speakers, and much smaller. They sound very nice. It's okay if your surrounds don't match the fronts. After hearing both, it wouldn't bother me to use the Level 2s as surrounds and not the Level 3s.

I think as far as price, finish, and sound quality goes, HTD Level 3s are somewhere at the top.

If you really want to wow the WAF, but also blow the budget, take a look at salksound. Some of the most beautiful speakers i've seen: https://www.salksound.com/veracity%2...-%20images.htm
https://www.salksound.com/songtower%20images.htm

Another speaker option are the EmpTek R5Bi speakers. A very nice looking speaker that sounds excellent for it's price: http://emptek.com/r5bi.php

Last edited by bgtighe23; 04-19-2015 at 07:22 AM.
post #520 of 534 Old 04-19-2015, 08:54 AM

Thanks so much! Will def. look into all those...well minus the salks...those will just depress me!
post #521 of 534 Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FYI, the Level 3 center is HUGE! The bookshelves are on the large size for bookshelf speakers but the center is massive. I was on the fence between the 2s and 3s (You can buy B stock and discontinued 3s for cheaper than brand-new 2s) and after seeing the 3 center in person I decided I’d rather have a happy wife and marginally worse sound.
post #522 of 534 Old 04-19-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun3000 View Post
FYI, the Level 3 center is HUGE! The bookshelves are on the large size for bookshelf speakers but the center is massive. I was on the fence between the 2s and 3s (You can buy B stock and discontinued 3s for cheaper than brand-new 2s) and after seeing the 3 center in person I decided I’d rather have a happy wife and marginally worse sound.
Wow...yes it is...almost 24inches wide....ughh...why does everything have to be so difficult!
post #523 of 534 Old 04-20-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quick question---we are rough wiring right now and ready to put boxes in for the KC7 controls (intermediate whole house audio system), and it says it attaches without screws. Any help on gang boxes used would be beneficial. I was on the phone with HTD last Friday, and the person I spoke to gave me different measurements. I guess I could order the keypads, so I could make sure they work, but was hoping for another user to comment. Thanks!
post #524 of 534 Old 04-20-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Wow...yes it is...almost 24inches wide....ughh...why does everything have to be so difficult!
Yea that is one reason why going with 3 x Level 2 centers for the front L/C/R sound stage is a good option.

The level 2 center is IMO just as good as the level3 bookshelf unless you really like the ribbon tweeter instead of the dome. The level2 center is really almost a level2 tower (with less bass response due to less porting) and they are $30 less per pair than the level3 bookshelfs... IMO the level2 center is the best value HTD speaker in the lineup...

The level3 center is better than the level 2 center but it is a lot bigger and more expensive.... They increased the width of the level 3 center from 22" to 23.25" when they changed from dome to ribbon tweeters in the level 3 line many years ago....

I am not sure if the flat panel speakers are gone for good, has anyone called to ask?

The Versa speaker line that is coming out is likely at least partially replacing the flat panel speakers. The Versa tweeter also matches the Level2 tweeter so it could also be mixed with the level2's in the L/C/R. They could be considering the SB1 as the new flat panel center replacement or just figure that people who are going with the smaller speakers would buy a single SB3 instead of 3 flat panels....

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR

Last edited by rfb6435; 04-20-2015 at 04:43 PM.
post #525 of 534 Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
Yea that is one reason why going with 3 x Level 2 centers for the front L/C/R sound stage is a good option.

The level 2 center is IMO just as good as the level3 bookshelf unless you really like the ribbon tweeter instead of the dome. The level2 center is really almost a level2 tower (with less bass response due to less porting) and they are $30 less per pair than the level3 bookshelfs... IMO the level2 center is the best value HTD speaker in the lineup...

The level3 center is better than the level 2 center but it is a lot bigger and more expensive.... They increased the width of the level 3 center from 22" to 23.25" when they changed from dome to ribbon tweeters in the level 3 line many years ago....

I am not sure if the flat panel speakers are gone for good, has anyone called to ask?

The Versa speaker line that is coming out is likely at least partially replacing the flat panel speakers. The Versa tweeter also matches the Level2 tweeter so it could also be mixed with the level2's in the L/C/R. They could be considering the SB1 as the new flat panel center replacement or just figure that people who are going with the smaller speakers would buy a single SB3 instead of 3 flat panels....

-Rich
Yeah...prob. going to go with level 2..at least for the center. I went ahead and sent them my floor plan to see what they think. Worth a shot at least for some ideas. I appreciate all the advice. You know...happy wife = something..I forget
post #526 of 534 Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally finishing my basement and looking to get back into Home Theater. I am looking at HTD real hard as I have a very limited budget $300-$500 max. Currently I will be using a 1997 Def Tech PF1500 15" 350 watt sub that goes low but it slow. I will purchase an entry level 5.1 reciever $200-$250 (pionner, denon, yamaha, etc) to replace my 20 year old Denon 1600. Right now there is a Pioneer Elite VSX-44 open box at BB for on $187 which I may pickup. My basement room is over 16'X30' but the home theater will be 16'w X 14'd X 7.5h'.

I am looking to purchase the level 2 bookself speakers for fronts, level 2 center and HD-W65 in-wall for surrounds. Total price should be around $500 and even less if I can find B-stock. Anyone have thoughts on this setup? Will this be enough speaker for the room? I am not looking to go super loud but I dont want to be pushing their limits on listening to them at moderate levels either.

I am compairing it to using Def Tech SM-350's, Sony Core SSCS5, JBL Loft speakers, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by rolfeskj; 04-21-2015 at 09:54 AM.
post #527 of 534 Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfeskj View Post
Finally finishing my basement and looking to get back into Home Theater. I am looking at HTD real hard as I have a very limited budget $300-$500 max. Currently I will be using a 1997 Def Tech PF1500 15" 350 watt sub that goes low but it slow. I will purchase an entry level 5.1 reciever $200-$250 (pionner, denon, yamaha, etc) to replace my 20 year old Denon 1600. Right now there is a Pioneer Elite VSX-44 open box at BB for on $187 which I may pickup. My basement room is over 16'X30' but the home theater will be 16'w X 14'd X 7.5h'.

I am looking to purchase the level 2 bookself speakers for fronts, level 2 center and HD-W65 in-wall for surrounds. Total price should be around $500 and even less if I can find B-stock. Anyone have thoughts on this setup? Will this be enough speaker for the room? I am not looking to go super loud but I dont want to be pushing their limits on listening to them at moderate levels either.

I am compairing it to using Def Tech SM-350's, Sony Core SSCS5, JBL Loft speakers, etc. Thanks.
I have owned the Level 3 bookshelves and currently own the Level 2 towers. Great speakers.

Nothing wrong with B-Stock if it's under warranty.

Last edited by bgtighe23; 04-21-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #528 of 534 Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I have owned the Level 3 bookshelves and currently own the Level 2 towers. Great speakers.

Nothing wrong with B-Stock if it's under warranty.
I have ordered several B-Stock HTD speakers in the past.

The last one I got simply had a popped paint bubble on it. The speaker was perfect other than the little pit from where the paint bubble was.

-Rich

post #529 of 534 Old 04-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:

The inwall speakers will be just fine as surrounds. I had HD-W65s as side surrounds at my last house and they worked well. I have HD-R65AIMs currently which also work well and are the best option for my room given that it only has 3 walls...

If you are on a super budget I think I have some HTD 6.5" round HD in ceiling speakers laying around that are basically new that I might be willing to part with. One set is an earlier version R65 which is the same as the HD-R65 except for a slightly different crossover. I was going to use them as atmos speakers eventually but I really don't need all of them.

-Rich

post #530 of 534 Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTD Level 2 Bookshelf vs Sony Core Bookshelf

Anyone listen to the new Sony Core bookshelf speakers? How do they compair to the HTD Level 2 Bookself speakers? I amprobaly going to get one of these two and I am having trouble choseing. It is for 100% Home Theater. Thanks for thoughts.
post #531 of 534 Old 04-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone listen to the new Sony Core bookshelf speakers? How do they compair to the HTD Level 2 Bookself speakers? I amprobaly going to get one of these two and I am having trouble choseing. It is for 100% Home Theater. Thanks for thoughts.
I prefer the HTDs. I heard the Sony speaker at Best Buy and own the Level 2 towers. I strictly focused on the tweeter because of the Level 2 tower having dual drivers.

Both were very similar is sound signature, but the HTDs seemed to have a little more clarity. Both great speakers though.

post #532 of 534 Old 04-22-2015, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FYI, if you are near the D/FW area, HTD is based in Plano. They have a showroom that’s open to the public. They prefer if you call ahead but will accommodate walk-ins. They are open during the week during normal business hours.
Johngoal19 likes this.
post #533 of 534 Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
I am on the other side of the fence - I prefer the Sony - the Sony sounds more clean to me,
and has a little better definition. All in all it depends on the individual.

You can try both and send the loser back - Best Buy is not the best or ideal place to judge
a speaker.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #534 of 534 Old 04-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Sony Core speakers are currently on sale on Amazon (and $1 more online at Best Buy)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver