Home Theater Direct (HTD) Owner's Thread - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #511 of 514 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by budahbuddy803 View Post
Hopefully you can see my beautifully sketched "wiring diagram" I tried to attach. The issue is, when I use my TV, if I turn up the "volume" on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer output stays the same (ie. the speakers do not stay blended with the sub, they outpower the sub). If I turn the gain up on the sub amp to match the speakers (at the higher volume) and then turn the volume down on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer outpowers the tower speakers.

I can set the gain and volume on the 2 channel and increase the output of the towers and sub simultaneously using the volume on the TV. What I was looking for is a receiver that would take the audio output from the TV (and laptop for that matter) and take full control of simultaneous output increasing/decreasing like my TV does. I wanted to be able to set my TV volume to 20/80, set my 2 channel amp volume to a little less than 1/2, and gain ~1/4 and then control the overall output of the towers and sub, simultaneously by using the receiver remote. My thinking is a device that takes full control of the audio output from any device, and then increases or decreases the audio signal to each amplifier at the same increments using 1 volume control.

Using the audio out on my 2ch to send the audio signal to the subwoofer amp is basically the same as if I were to run the audio signal directly from the TV to the sub amp. I was thinking that the 2 channel would have more of an influence on the audio signal output (as in, the audio signal output could be controlled by the 2 channel amp, but instead, it goes from the TV, somewhat bypasses the 2 channel, and goes straight to the mono amp).

When I purchased the new receiver, the same exact thing was occurring. I had the TV audio output > receiver input 1, the audio output from the receiver > audio input of 2 channel, and audio out from the 2 channel > audio input of the sub amp. Turning the volume up/down on the receiver did nothing (unless you had speakers connected to its internal amp).
This issue is really more of an amplifier question than an HTD speaker question so it really should be in a different subforum.

The issue is that you should be using a variable preout from a TV or receiver for the subwoofer and speaker amplifiers.

The amplifier RCA output from the amplifier is just a passthrough from the inputs. It is not affected and not supposed to be affected by the "level" of the stereo amplifier. In this case "volume" only applies to the speakers and not the RCA passthrough.

The TV preouts are probably a fixed level rather than variable with the TV volume.

The best way to do this is with a an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) or stereo receiver rather than a stereo amplifier. The receiver then controls the volume with a variable preout for both the amplifier and subwoofer amplifier. With the receiver you do still need a receiver with "preouts" which process the audio and add a variable level. If you just connect a passthrough on the receiver then once again the signal is not modified with the volume controls.

For example on an Onkyo TX-8050 stereo receiver (which has less outputs and makes it eaiser to discuss than an full multi channel AVR):

Only the "preout" (top middle) will do what you want, if you connect to the TV/Tape or VCR/DVR outputs it is probably just a passthrough....

Given your current equipment (without a receiver)...

One solution that can probably work is if you use the headphone 3.5mm jack from the TV and connect that to the amplifiers using a stereo 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter. That should give you a variable output from the TV that changes with the TV volume where the RCA preouts won't change with the TV volume. Then both the stereo amplifier and the subwoofer amp will see a higher level on their inputs and can stay in sync. I do something like this with my back yard TV and a marine (car) stereo that runs my outdoor speakers. This may give inferior audio with more noise compared to the RCA outputs to a receiver but it should work.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L3 Tower L/R, Center (1st Gen Dome Tweeters), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Acer H9500BD 1080p 3D Projector with Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; Yesterday at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 514 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for the wrong section. I just searched HTD and this came up. I didn't even think about looking at the category.

My TV must have variable output because if I increase e TV volume, both the speakers and sub turn up at the same level.

I just need to tune better so all I use is the TV remote. Only issue that will cause is when I change sources to my laptop.
post #513 of 514 Old Today, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by budahbuddy803 View Post
Hopefully you can see my beautifully sketched "wiring diagram" I tried to attach. The issue is, when I use my TV, if I turn up the "volume" on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer output stays the same (ie. the speakers do not stay blended with the sub, they outpower the sub). If I turn the gain up on the sub amp to match the speakers (at the higher volume) and then turn the volume down on the 2 ch. amp, the subwoofer outpowers the tower speakers.

I can set the gain and volume on the 2 channel and increase the output of the towers and sub simultaneously using the volume on the TV. What I was looking for is a receiver that would take the audio output from the TV (and laptop for that matter) and take full control of simultaneous output increasing/decreasing like my TV does. I wanted to be able to set my TV volume to 20/80, set my 2 channel amp volume to a little less than 1/2, and gain ~1/4 and then control the overall output of the towers and sub, simultaneously by using the receiver remote. My thinking is a device that takes full control of the audio output from any device, and then increases or decreases the audio signal to each amplifier at the same increments using 1 volume control.

Using the audio out on my 2ch to send the audio signal to the subwoofer amp is basically the same as if I were to run the audio signal directly from the TV to the sub amp. I was thinking that the 2 channel would have more of an influence on the audio signal output (as in, the audio signal output could be controlled by the 2 channel amp, but instead, it goes from the TV, somewhat bypasses the 2 channel, and goes straight to the mono amp).

When I purchased the new receiver, the same exact thing was occurring. I had the TV audio output > receiver input 1, the audio output from the receiver > audio input of 2 channel, and audio out from the 2 channel > audio input of the sub amp. Turning the volume up/down on the receiver did nothing (unless you had speakers connected to its internal amp).
You need to get an actual receiver. Not a power amplifier.

A receiver will connect itself to your TV through an HDMI and that should be the only cable needed (other than the power cord, obviously). The receiver will also power your speakers. I don't think you should have to manually turn the sub gain up when using an external sub amp.

The receiver is the brain of the operation. It outputs video to your TV (turn your TV speakers off), and audio to your speakers. A receiver have a sub pre-out which should send a stronger signal which will create more bass output instead of having to go and manually turn up the dial on the sub amplifier. If everything is done correctly, you shouldn't have to manually change anything.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4000
Speakers : HTD Level 3 Bookshelves - FS52s (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Outlaw LFM-1 Plus and PB1000
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #514 of 514 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
You need to get an actual receiver. Not a power amplifier.

A receiver will connect itself to your TV through an HDMI and that should be the only cable needed (other than the power cord, obviously). The receiver will also power your speakers. I don't think you should have to manually turn the sub gain up when using an external sub amp.

The receiver is the brain of the operation. It outputs video to your TV (turn your TV speakers off), and audio to your speakers. A receiver have a sub pre-out which should send a stronger signal which will create more bass output instead of having to go and manually turn up the dial on the sub amplifier. If everything is done correctly, you shouldn't have to manually change anything.
I do not have cable, I use an antenna so the HDMI option for video is a no go unless they have something for a TV antenna on receivers now and days.

I do not want the receiver to power any of my speakers. I have amplifiers for them already.

Is this not a "receiver"? It says that it is and it doesn't have any pre-outs.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=4156007

What I "need" to solve my "issue" is a receiver with two pre-out, one for the sub amp and one for my tower speakers' amp. However, I can run everything using the audio out on my TV. When I use the TV remote, everything turns up at the same level. In the future, a receiver as I just described will work well, especially for multiple audio sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page