Home Theater Direct (HTD) Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 437 Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, you're doing bookshelves for the front L&R?
Curious to see how good that sounds

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 437 Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I really like my Panel front stage and Midi surround and rear Speakers. They are white like the wall, compact, mount on the wall (except the center Panel) and sound very good. So they are not obtrusive and they get the job done. You definitely need a sub with these and for the time being I am using the Polk PSW10 due to budgetary constraints but it sounds okay with the HTD's.

post #183 of 437 Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow View Post

Would you consider the HTD's as a better move than the Polk monitor 65t's? The HTD's would be about $560 shipped, while the Polks about $100 less. This is for the two front towers and matching center.
I haven't been able to listen to the Polks, the only store in town that has any Polks is Best Buy and they only carry the TSI300, which I'm assuming are going to tonally sound similar to the 65t's. The TSI300's didn't sound bad, but just a little flat overall.

If I was to do it all over again, I would of bought HTD. However, I got two Monitor 70 for $321 shipped, and a RW-12D sub for $321 as well. So, I decided to go that route for now. I will eventually move to HTD next year biggrin.gif

NOTE: newegg.com has the Klipsch RW-12D sub on sale again for $299.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&cm_sp=Spotlight-_-82-780-078-_-12022012

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #184 of 437 Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I went with a level two five speaker setup with tower fronts, center channel and bookshelf rears. With an SVS SB12-NSD sub.

I was considering a bunch of different ID brands. Initially was planning on Level Three front stage, which I think would be too much for my 13x15 bedroom. Hopefully, this won't disappoint. Now just need to get it all here.

I'm not sure how to deal with the center channel yet, my TV stand doesn't have room for a speaker. It will be too big to sit in front of the TV without blocking a few inches. A couple options are to wall mount the TV, or put something under the TV to get it up a few more inches so I can set the speaker in front of it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #185 of 437 Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

So, you're doing bookshelves for the front L&R?
Curious to see how good that sounds

Should not sound any different aside from the lower frequency response of the towers. It's all about the quality of the driver and the box its in, not the size.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #186 of 437 Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM

So I guess you could consider me a HTD owner now. I placed an order yesterday afternoon for a pair of Level Two towers and the Level Two center channel speaker.

I called up customer support because I was concerned about return shipping if I wasn't happy with the towers. What they did for me was send an email with them stating that they would pay any return costs for the speakers I purchase if I decided that I was not happy with them.
He offered great advice, helped me choose which ones would be right for my situation and assured me I would be happy. Not only did he assure me I would be happy, but they were willing to pay all return costs if I wasn't. That's awesome.

Now I just can't wait to get these hooked up. Just in time for the Dark Knight Rises.smile.gif

Once I get everything unboxed and set up, I'll get some pictures up and post my thoughts about how they sound.
They are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday, the 5th. Two days for ground shipping!

post #187 of 437 Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I guess you could consider me a HTD owner now. I placed an order yesterday afternoon for a pair of Level Two towers and the Level Two center channel speaker.
I called up customer support because I was concerned about return shipping if I wasn't happy with the towers. What they did for me was send an email with them stating that they would pay any return costs for the speakers I purchase if I decided that I was not happy with them.
He offered great advice, helped me choose which ones would be right for my situation and assured me I would be happy. Not only did he assure me I would be happy, but they were willing to pay all return costs if I wasn't. That's awesome.
Now I just can't wait to get these hooked up. Just in time for the Dark Knight Rises.smile.gif
Once I get everything unboxed and set up, I'll get some pictures up and post my thoughts about how they sound.
They are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday, the 5th. Two days for ground shipping!

That's costumer service. I can't wait to order mine, but I've got to wait till next November mad.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #188 of 437 Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Well, got the speakers today.

Everything was very well packaged. Double boxed, foam inserts to protect the speakers and then they were wrapped in large fabric bags.
Aesthetically, they are a pleasing speaker. Great finish, nice grilles, beveled edges and overall a nice design. The wife said they look fancy.

Anyway, I haven't had much of a chance to listen to them yet. But so far they sound better with music than they do with movies. Listened to some rock (Soundgarden, Tool) and a little industrial/electronic (Frontline Assembly).
Not too bad. The drivers give a decent amount of bass and clarity. Good soundstage that doesn't sound like "music in a box". They definitely liked having the volume turned up.

For movies I am a little underwhelmed so far. Not sure what's going on with these things. I'm using a Pioneer VSX-919ah-k receiver and a PS3 as a blu-ray player. Tried out The Dark Knight as well as the Avengers. Both sounded WAY too laid back for me. The sound didn't fill the room as I was hoping it would. It just seemed a little dull and lifeless overall. No real dramatic impact. The sound quality was GOOD, meaning, they don't have that cheap speaker-box sound, but they're just missing something. Maybe I just need to give them a chance to warm up, but I was cranking the hell out of my receiver and it still felt as if I just couldn't get these things to yell at me.

I have 30 days to make up my mind if I'm going to keep them, so I will continue to adjust and demo them. We will see what happens.

post #189 of 437 Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Does your AVR have room correction? If so, did you run it yet?

post #190 of 437 Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Yep. Pioneer's calibration is called MCACC. I ran the full setup with the Mic. I'm going to continue playing around with things tomorrow when I have a little more time.

post #191 of 437 Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Got my Level three towers yesterday. Speaker are beautiful cherry. very well double boxed. Now just trying to decide which sub to order. It'd between the HSU and the Power Sound Audio subs. Decisions, decisions.

Onkyo TX-NR5009, Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5, Oppo 103D Blu-Ray Player, Denon DCD 1650AR, Teac V 670 Cassette Player, Pioneer CLD-D704 Laser Player, JVC HM-DH3000U VCR, Technics SL1200MK2 Turntable, Belkin PF 60 Power Conditioner, Comcast Motorola DCT 3412, XBOX 360, PSA XV-15se Sub, Velodyne DLS-4000R Sub, HTD Level 3 Main and Center Speakers, Infinity SS 2002 Side Speakers, JBL E-20 Rear Speakers, BIC DV 62si Height Speakers, Sony KDL-40V5100 TV. Harmony One.
post #192 of 437 Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

http://www.whalenstyle.com/category/Entertainment/group/Consoles/000284
Just grabbed this today, Wife loves it.

I much rather floor speakers to the bookshelfs on stands for the left and right. where to mount center speaker? Mount bookshelfs and center on wall behind TV?

What do you all think?

I am needing 3.1 or 2.1 with a receiver. spending about 1000.00 +

Appreciate your time/help on this.

Marty
post #193 of 437 Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM

Okay, I had a little more time over lunch today to give these Level Two's some action.
I played around with the EQ a bit, adjusted some more of the receiver's sound settings and played some TOOL to start off with. I'm a bit more impressed than I was yesterday with the sound quality. This is definitely not a "bright" speaker, but it's not "soft" either. It's a good in-between balance of the two. Crisp when it needs to be, but also laid back at the same time.
I'm not exactly a connoisseur, and I don't know all of the proper terminology (I'll admit, this whole thing seems like wine tasting to me), but I know what my ears like.

One thing that really impressed me with these speakers is their BASS extension. For the size of the drivers, it really is impressive. I'd say a subwoofer is still recommended for serious listening, but they still sound extremely good without one.

After the music, I popped in the Dark Knight and the Avengers again and CRANKED the volume up. With my old JBL speakers, the sound was plenty loud at around -25db to -30db. I had to go to -13db with the HTD's to get the dramatic impact I wanted. I guess that's where I was thrown off yesterday. At my "usual" listening levels, these just lacked presence. They were still loud, but were missing a beat. Turning up the volume definitely made them louder, but it also brought them to life. Musical scores and sound effects were detailed and clear, but not overly bright. The Level Two's are NOT a harsh speaker, whatsoever. They are completely laid back and just love having the volume turned up.
I'm going to have to say that these are good speakers if you like watching movies and listening to music at high volumes. Some speakers I've had in the past sound decent at low volumes, these do not. But, I suppose I do have the midnight option on my receiver if I ever need to keep the volume down.
Now, I've been talking about the towers constantly, but I need to talk about the center channel. This, in my opinion, is the best part of the trio. I don't think I've ever had a center channel that sounded as clear and non-boxy as this. What has been my bane with center channels in the past, is that they all have a boxy or "nasaly" sound to them. It's always driven me nuts, but I figured that's just how they all are. I didn't like it, but I accepted it and came to terms with it. So far, I get none of that with the Level Two center channel. Clear, detailed and extremely expansive. It certainly doesn't sound as if the sound is coming from the speaker, but rather from "around' the speaker. If that makes sense. I couldn't help but get completely immersed in The Dark Knight, and it basically made me take a double lunch-hour because of it.

Anyway,
My major disappointment with these is the fact that one of the drivers in the tower seems to be "blown" or defective. I can hear a distinct crackling and hissing noise coming from the lower driver of my right tower whenever any audio is playing. I still get audio from it, but not without the crackling. So I am going to get in contact with HTD about this and hopefully get a replacement on the way.
I still want to demo these for a few more days to make sure I'm going to be totally happy, so I don't want to get a replacement speaker just to end up sending everything back. But as of right now, I think I'm going to stick with them.

post #194 of 437 Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just grabbed this today, Wife loves it.

I much rather floor speakers to the bookshelfs on stands for the left and right. where to mount center speaker? Mount bookshelfs and center on wall behind TV?
What do you all think?
Marty

That's tough to say. I would personally go with a 3.1 setup, but your stand doesn't exactly allow a center channel to be put anywhere. If a 60" TV is going to be on the stand, where else would you have room?
If you have $1,000 to spend, and are considering HTD, you might want to go with the level three.

post #195 of 437 Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

Okay, I had a little more time over lunch today to give these Level Two's some action.
I played around with the EQ a bit, adjusted some more of the receiver's sound settings and played some TOOL to start off with. I'm a bit more impressed than I was yesterday with the sound quality. This is definitely not a "bright" speaker, but it's not "soft" either. It's a good in-between balance of the two.

I couldn't help but get completely immersed in The Dark Knight, and it basically made me take a double lunch-hour because of it.

There are times when a speaker will grow on you - HTD has good customer service, they will
fix you up, if you decide to keep them. The Level Two's are not a wimp, and are built well.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #196 of 437 Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

What do you all think?
Marty

Find a way to properly place a center channel.
Leve Two towers and center is a good option.

Cadence 12 inch sub is an option -
http://www.cadencesound.com/products/CSX12-Mark-II.html

Denon 1612 receiver from AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

post #197 of 437 Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I received my HTD Level 2 Bookshelf speakers last night. I must admit I am impressed!

First off let me say that I have a lot of respect for a company that talks me out of buying their more expensive product after telling them my setup and telling me what they believed was best for my situation. I had ordered B-Stock Level 2's being unsure and not wanting to spend a lot and was told that someone had bought the last pair as I checked out, I asked if he had any Level 3 B-Stock in which he did, figured it was a sign I should just go for the gold so to speak, he asked me what I was going to be using them for and a bit about my setup and room, he then told me he believed the level 2s would be great in my application, why not save a few bucks if you don't need to spend the money, I'm sure youll be happy with them, I agreed and bought the Level 2's.

I did not spring and buy everything right off the rip because I wanted to make sure I was happy with using them as fronts before I ordered anything else, I honestly thought the bookshelfs would not have much presence if you will and boy was I wrong!

I took scotts advice and hooked up Just the level 2's turned off the subwoofer and changed the crossover, threw on some of my favorite songs (boy let me tell you, compared to what I was running as my L/R before, these speakers are not forgiving to crappy mp3's) after realizing a lot of my mp3's sound terrible, I threw in my favorite DTS Concert CD.. The Eagles Hell freezes over, along with the DTS SACD Hotel California, and man let me tell you, these speakers are awesome! Maybe I'm crazy but there are so many subtle sounds and tones I never noticed before with my old speakers, the soundstage (hope im using that right) seems huge and fills up my entire room. I had them cranked nearly as loud as my Pioneer VSX-521 would let them and they never broke up, sounded distorted and muddled once.

It is not an understatement when people tell you that these things love to be cranked up, they seem a little quiet and average at lower night time listening levels (still better than my old setup) but when I crank on a movie or some music and crank up the volume like I normally would, these speakers really seem to open up!

They throw a surprising amount of bass given the driver size, without a doubt you're still going to want a subwoofer, but I was really worried about them not having any presence at all given their price.

I am in shock at how much I like them, I thought they would just be a little step up and I wouldent really notice a world of difference but boy was I wrong. I am hardly an audiophhile as stated in the past, when it comes to video thats a different story, I can re-watch scenes in movies, or entire movies over and over again simply because their stunning without caring about the audio, now I cannot stop listeing to anything and enjoying the hell out of how they sound.

I can only imagine these will sound better after a few weeks of a good workout and breaking in.

Anyone looking at buying these and being hesitant, don't be... they are quite amazing for what they are!

Ordered the center speaker, and I need to figure out what to do for my surrounds next as my room setup is not ideal for surround channels.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #198 of 437 Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

I received my HTD Level 2 Bookshelf speakers last night. I must admit I am impressed!
Good report - continue to enjoy.

post #199 of 437 Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Got my HTD Level 2 Center Channel last night.

I always thought my Polk CS2 Center sounded pretty good, a bit on the muffled side, but way better than the center I had before it previously.

having the Level 2 center matched with the level 2 bookshelves made the world of difference, plus the HTD sounds a bit more crisp and bright which I like, vocals are much clearer and less "deep" when at times I felt it sounded all wrong with my CS2

I was listeing to teh DMB Live at Radio City, which sounded great before, sounds even better now.

I had a couple people listen to the speakers and all of them are surprised at the sound these speakers put out for the price point.

post #200 of 437 Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my HTD Level 2 Center Channel last night.
I always thought my Polk CS2 Center sounded pretty good, a bit on the muffled side, but way better than the center I had before it previously.
having the Level 2 center matched with the level 2 bookshelves made the world of difference, plus the HTD sounds a bit more crisp and bright which I like, vocals are much clearer and less "deep" when at times I felt it sounded all wrong with my CS2
I was listeing to teh DMB Live at Radio City, which sounded great before, sounds even better now.
I had a couple people listen to the speakers and all of them are surprised at the sound these speakers put out for the price point.

Congratulations I wish I would of bought the HTDs before going with Polk, but at the time I was on a budget. I'll upgrade to HTDs next year.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #201 of 437 Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

What do you all think?
Marty

Find a way to properly place a center channel.
Leve Two towers and center is a good option.

Cadence 12 inch sub is an option -
http://www.cadencesound.com/products/CSX12-Mark-II.html

Denon 1612 receiver from AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Goin to try phantom 2.1 setup. Worst case is wife and I agree we NEED a center speaker and purchase later.

How do the Htd level 2 speakers compare to say kilipsch wf-35,Polk monitor 75t or any newegg speaker at that price point.
Looking to use my newegg charge for Yamaha rx-v473bl and speakers. Xmas killed my cash flow on hand.

Thanks for your advice.

Marty
post #202 of 437 Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

So I figured I'd update this thread now with a month of listening on these Level 2s

First off, let me say for the price the are impressive speakers, with that also being said, I have been speaker shopping, not because I feel these speakers are bad or do not sound good, but they are lacking a bit in their dynamics being only a 2 way driver. After hearing mutliple 2 way and 3 way speakers here localy, my ears are spoiled after listening to more expensive 3 way towers.

I would love to try the HTD Level 3 Towers, but regardless of the 30 day money back guarantee, im just not willing to spend 800 on speakers I have never had a chance to sample or here in comparison with others.

Now, an update with the bookshelf speakers. They have been worked pretty hard, I have put them through their paces listening to multiple types of music from skrillex to jazz, multiple movies at higher volume etc. These speakers really never seem to break a sweat or sound like they are having trouble keeping up. Details are clear and seem precise to me given their small size, and dialogue from the center is great. They seem seamless in their transitions from right to left across the front stage, the sound accurate but have a wide image, they fill up my entire room and they never seem to end nor the sound seem to stop in a particular place.

The amount of bass these speakers pump out when I first heard them was more than i was expecting but nothing to write home about, lets face it, their 5 1/2 inch bookshelf speakers. With that said, the other night I wanted to listen to just the speakers with no help, i really wanted to listen as I have been sampling other speakers, I turned off my sub and put on some music im quite familiar with, the speakers were now set to large in the receiver settings after turning the sub off, as I started to listen to the first song Layla from Eric Claptons Unplugged album, I found myself getting up just to make sure my sub was off, as when I listen to music I quiet down the sub a bit, I could have sworn the sub was on, after a good solid month of breaking in, the amount of bass these speakers throw out is impressive, its clean and tight, though it will struggle on really low frequencies a bit, and its not the type of speaker you want to listen to a dub step track with unless its helped by a sub. I would surely still reccomend a sub for these for home theater duty and music that depends a lot more on lower bass, but every acoustic track, jazz track I through at these, they sounded completely natural, they did not sturggle and the bass was amazing to me for the size. I honestly think I prefer the raw sound when listening to music from the speakers than I do if the sub is on.

I would still highly reccomend these for someone who does not want to spend the money on 500+ dollar speakers. I'm actually convinced these sound better than the B*W 685's I heard the other day as well as the equivalant KEF's that go for around ~600 pair, I am actually going to the local AVS store on monday night and bringing my HTD Level 2 bookshelves with me to have them hooked up side by side of these speakers and hear the differences. The local guru there had never heard of HTD before and said he'd love to check them out after I talked about them.

post #203 of 437 Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ Good review, thanks.

post #204 of 437 Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:

So I figured I'd update this thread now with a month of listening on these Level 2s

First off, let me say for the price the are impressive speakers, with that also being said, I have been speaker shopping, not because I feel these speakers are bad or do not sound good, but they are lacking a bit in their dynamics being only a 2 way driver. After hearing mutliple 2 way and 3 way speakers here localy, my ears are spoiled after listening to more expensive 3 way towers.

what were the speakers you compared them to? you can PM me if you do not wish to post them here.

Here is what i am after if anyone has comments to help.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22810207

thanks
post #205 of 437 Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here is what i am after if anyone has comments to help.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22810207
thanks

The option/choice is yours - however I prefer HTD over Polk and Klipsch.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448213/best-newegg-speakers-for-a-2-1-setup-editied-topic

post #206 of 437 Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I just ordered the level 3 Bookshelves and center, should be here Thursday... cant wait!
post #207 of 437 Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

I just ordered the level 3 Bookshelves and center, should be here Thursday... cant wait!

Good luck, do you plan to write a review?
post #208 of 437 Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

Let us know what you think of them. I am planning in buying a new house in November and replacing my current 7.1 set up with Level 3's all around with the exception of the sub. Probably going with SVS.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #209 of 437 Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Let us know what you think of them. I am planning in buying a new house in November and replacing my current 7.1 set up with Level 3's all around with the exception of the sub. Probably going with SVS.

Ill write a review..... this will be my 4th set in 2 months time, the others didnt cut it.... cheap Jamo, Pioneers, Energy's CF-70..etc.
post #210 of 437 Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Subscribed... Looking forward to the reviews. (I'm trying to figure out a sound system for a 135" projector in an oddly-shaped room.)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page