Advice: L/C/R + sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new here and have been looking over some of the older posts, but figured I'd post and see if anyone wanted to weigh in on my situation.

I currently have 2 Sony bookshelf speakers, and that's it. They are probably 6-8 years old. They've never had the best sound, but they're not bad for what I paid ($100 as a freshmen in college).

However, now I'd like to move up to a 5.1, and am in search of new L/C/R speakers (and sub), as I'll probably take the Sonys and use them as the rear (or use them in another room and pick up some small rear speakers).

I'd like to get good quality speakers for the L/C/R, but it seems there are infinite brands out there. From reading here it seems I want to make sure all three speakers are from the same manufacturer, while the sub can be different (yes? no?).

I do have a budget, I'd like to stay under $1k, but preferably $500 - $800.

From looking on the Internet, I've found a few different options. Just wanted to run them by everyone and get opinions. Also if you have recommendations on other brands, feel free to suggest them. The system will be used for 60% movies / 40% music, maybe closer to 50/50. It seems most people recommend good bookshelves over towers.

Choices:

HTD Level 2 bookshelves (x2), center, subwoofer: $577
HTD Level 3 bookshelves (x2), center, subwoofer: $807
SVS SBS-01 bookshelves (x2), center, NSD-10 sub: 839
Ascend CBM-170 bookshelves (x2), center, NSD-10 sub: $951

Those are just a few combinations I thought looked good. I don't know much about the more "mainstream" brands like Polk, Infinity, etc... but maybe there is a more affordable solution that has just as good quality (since all the above companies seem to have great reviews).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanders View Post

I'm new here and have been looking over some of the older posts, but figured I'd post and see if anyone wanted to weigh in on my situation.

I currently have 2 Sony bookshelf speakers, and that's it. They are probably 6-8 years old. They've never had the best sound, but they're not bad for what I paid ($100 as a freshmen in college).

However, now I'd like to move up to a 5.1, and am in search of new L/C/R speakers (and sub), as I'll probably take the Sonys and use them as the rear (or use them in another room and pick up some small rear speakers).

I'd like to get good quality speakers for the L/C/R, but it seems there are infinite brands out there. From reading here it seems I want to make sure all three speakers are from the same manufacturer, while the sub can be different (yes? no?).

I do have a budget, I'd like to stay under $1k, but preferably $500 - $800.

From looking on the Internet, I've found a few different options. Just wanted to run them by everyone and get opinions. Also if you have recommendations on other brands, feel free to suggest them. The system will be used for 60% movies / 40% music, maybe closer to 50/50. It seems most people recommend good bookshelves over towers.

Choices:

HTD Level 2 bookshelves (x2), center, subwoofer: $577
HTD Level 3 bookshelves (x2), center, subwoofer: $807
SVS SBS-01 bookshelves (x2), center, NSD-10 sub: 839
Ascend CBM-170 bookshelves (x2), center, NSD-10 sub: $951

Those are just a few combinations I thought looked good. I don't know much about the more "mainstream" brands like Polk, Infinity, etc... but maybe there is a more affordable solution that has just as good quality (since all the above companies seem to have great reviews).

Thanks.

Look at this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=792718
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I currently have the HTD Middies and Level 3 Bookshelves for the 30 day trial, and I own Ascends, and have heard the SVS speakers.

IMO, the HTDs fall short of the other two.

I suggest replacing the HTDs in your list with the Onix X-LS, and the Hsu HB-1, then comparing.

In fact, if you are set on that sub, and want to stay in your target price range, get the sub, and then a pair of SBS-01's, a pair of X-LS, and a pair of HB-1's to compare.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What's the approximate size of your HT room? What receiver will you be using? And, about how much LFE / bass impact and volume are you wanting out of this system... moderate, loud, maximum?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page