question about wattage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a receiver (Pioneer VSX 816) that is rated 110w per channel continuous at 8ohms. I will be running a set of 6 ohm speakers (Yamaha NS-SP1600) that are rated 100w max and 30w nominal.
The Pioneer has a setting for using 6 ohm speakers and I plan on using this setting.
This is just for a bedroom setup. It will not be used very often nor will it be driven very hard. Will I be ok using these speakers with this receiver?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Should be fine.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2007, 05:53 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

I have a receiver (Pioneer VSX 816) that is rated 110w per channel continuous at 8ohms. I will be running a set of 6 ohm speakers (Yamaha NS-SP1600) that are rated 100w max and 30w nominal.
The Pioneer has a setting for using 6 ohm speakers and I plan on using this setting.
This is just for a bedroom setup. It will not be used very often nor will it be driven very hard. Will I be ok using these speakers with this receiver?

Thanks

Most receivers (even entry level ones) are fine with speakers rated 6-16ohm. You will be fine. Check the owner's manual of your receiver, whether it recommends 6ohm setting or suggests use of the default setting.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

Most receivers (even entry level ones) are fine with speakers rated 6-16ohm. You will be fine. Check the owner's manual of your receiver, whether it recommends 6ohm setting or suggests use of the default setting.

I was worried that I would be pushing too many watts into thoses speakers. From what I have seen on other receiver specs something that puts out 110w at 8 ohms puts out more at 6 ohms

The manual does say to use the 6 ohm setting for 6 ohm speakers so that is what I plan on doing.

Thanks
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

From what I have seen on other receiver specs something that puts out 110w at 8 ohms puts out more at 6 ohms

That is correct, however the receiver is only putting that many watts into the speakers if you have the volume knob turned way, way up. If you're only listening to them at normal volumes you won't have any problems whatsoever.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Having too many watts is good, this means your speakers will start to audibly distort before they are sent harmful square waves from amplifier clipping. IOW, when your speakers start to distort, just turn the volume back a bit and be thankful that your amp didn't distort.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

Having too many watts is good, this means your speakers will start to audibly distort before they are sent harmful square waves from amplifier clipping. IOW, when your speakers start to distort, just turn the volume back a bit and be thankful that your amp didn't distort.

Not exactly. THis discussion was brought up in another thread, and the conclusion was that too much power from the amp is what causes speaker damage, not clipping. When you start hearing audible distortion from just your speakers alone, watch out!!!

Here is one of my posts on clipping: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9520704
The basic idea behind this (if you don't wan't to read the whole thing) is that the power getting to the speakers is reduced by clipping, not increased. Clipped waves are no more damaging than sine waves to speakers. The only reason they are normally associated with speaker damage is that amps that are turned up too loud clip. The amp being turned up too loud is what causes the damage, not the clipping. The clipping is just a clue that the volume is too loud.

The best way to aviod speaker damage with an overpowered amp is to never turn the volume up past a certain point. With an underpowered amp, you will get audible clues that your volume is too loud (such as clipping), but with an overpowered amp, you will have almost no audible clues.

Health insurance inevitably leads to poor quality, inefficiency, inflated costs for health care, and rationing.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana00 View Post

Not exactly...

Here is one of my posts on clipping: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9520704

Uh, yeah, be sure to read the whole thread, everyone, and then you'll know for sure that this guy is the authority on this matter. Right.

Let's try to NOT have this thread turn into whatever it was that the one referenced became.

Bottom line is this -- don't crank up your speakers till they bleed, and dont' worry about a 110 W receiver pushing 100 W speakers.

--Otto
post #9 of 12 Old 01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoSpiral View Post

Uh, yeah, be sure to read the whole thread, everyone, and then you'll know for sure that this guy is the authority on this matter. Right.

Let's try to NOT have this thread turn into whatever it was that the one referenced became.

Bottom line is this -- don't crank up your speakers till they bleed, and dont' worry about a 110 W receiver pushing 100 W speakers.

Also don't worry about a 90 watt amp pushing 100 watt speakers.

Health insurance inevitably leads to poor quality, inefficiency, inflated costs for health care, and rationing.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Also don't worry about a 90 watt amp pushing 100 watt speakers.

I wouldn't worry about that either. If a user is playing it so loud that they're unsure if it's a problem or not, then they should turn it down.

--Otto
post #11 of 12 Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoSpiral View Post

I wouldn't worry about that either. If a user is playing it so loud that they're unsure if it's a problem or not, then they should turn it down.

Finally, we're on the same page!

post #12 of 12 Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Finally, we're on the same page!

That doesn't mean we agree with you about why!

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page