American made speakers ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Years ago...the debates seemed to include terms like "east coast" sound (Advent, AR) vs the "west coast" sound (Cerwin Vega) with the occasional reference to imported speakers as having their own distinct sound and a general consensus that "made in Japan" or other oriental origin, sound, was genuinely tinny and terrible. My novice and "dumb" question is; what are the speaker brands that do both engineer and manufacture speakers incl. all internal components, in the U.S. of A. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm pretty sure JBL and klispch are designed and assembled here, at least their higher end models, but I would doubt there are many, if any, companies that have zero foreign made parts
post #3 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont think there is any speaker that can be purchased now that every single component is native to US soil. Grille cloth, Speaker wood, veneer style, metal pieces, speaker materials, plastics, binding posts, wires...

computer used to design the speaker -- most likely parts of that came from taiwan.
post #4 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
We've discussed this before, but nearly ALL speaker companies in America or Great Britain have all or most of their speakers made for them in China, Mexico, or some country in Southeast Asia. A few of the high-end models may still be made here, but that, too, is the exception. This is true of almost all brands, including the most popular high-end companies. Most U.S. speaker companies try to disguise the fact, and I give credit to Velodyne for at least admitting it. (They are outsourcing better than almost anyone, in my opinion, with very high quality.)

Some companies who moved to Mexico have now moved to China. I am not going to mention brand names, but nothing is made here anymore, or at least not much. I think some Theil and Vandersteen products are still made here, and I am currently trying to assemble a list.

There is really not a good business reason for most speaker companies to build speakers in America, because the better Chinese factories are advanced, and it reduces the cost to the consumer and the profit to the manufacturer.

That said, Triad builds 67 out of it's 70 models in Portland, Oregon, in a lean manufacturing facility that is a showplace of efficiency. We do not purchase cabinets; we make them. We still purchase drivers from Danish speaker companies Scan-Speak, Peerless, Seas, and Vifa, because we get custom drivers from them that far exceed the quality of what we could engineer and build.

There are a few reasons we buck the trend and build speakers here. One is to maintain a very high level of quality. The other is because we build our speakers to order, in batches sizes of one. We can't bring in containers of finished goods because every one of our speakers is built for the customer who ordered it, in any paint finish or any veneer finish he desires, and we couldn't possibly be sitting on inventory. Orders generally ship from Portland in three work days, and they ship to the dealer via 3-day FedEx. We're as fast as a company that ships out of a humongous warehouse full of boxes, some old.

To those of you who state that your certain favorite speaker is made in America, I will ask you "are you sure?" They probably aren't.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #5 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I think Magnapans are still made in the USA.

IB
post #6 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I think Magnapans are still made in the USA.

IB

I suspect most or all Magnepans are made here, but it is hard to confirm. They are a superb company that has reinvented itself well.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #7 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

There are still American made drivers though mostly of the high quality pro sound type.

JBL Pro, Radian, GPA, Eminence. And the Cogent field-coil drivers.

Note that not all the JBL Pro drivers are American made but the best stuff is.
post #8 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 AM

A lot are made in Canada I belive Like Paradigm'

I also Belive Phase Tech does In the USA
post #9 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Most B&W's are still assembled or made in England, but I dont know if some of the components are sourced elsewhere....
post #10 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

All JBL's are not made in the USA,infact they have models in Europe that we dont even have over here.I know B&G and Raven tweeters are among the best ribbon tweeters in the world,Phase Tech and maybe Boston Acoustics are 2 of the few that builds their speakers from top to bottom.It dosent really matter,besides those 2 ribbon companies I just mentioned the USA doesent build the best drivers in the world,So most American speaker companies outsource to get the best drivers money can buy.
post #11 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh9269 View Post

Most B&W's are still assembled or made in England, but I dont know if some of the components are sourced elsewhere....

I believe the cabinets are made in Denmark.
post #12 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

I believe the cabinets are made in Denmark.

I remember about 8 years ago Monitor Audio built cabinets for over 120 speaker companies worldwide,Im sure thats changed some but that was very substantial.
post #13 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Liked: 12
well interesting thread I like and I am being informed. I am the first guy to buy American when possible. My B&K processor designed and built in Buffalo NY. Two QSC pro amps built in the USA to my surprise and bought em. I have a question though because I LOVE Definitive Technology speakers that are designed here in Owning Mills Maryland but built in China I believe? I'm wondering what that exactly means built in China? Obviously it means what it says made in China but does that mean that somewhere in China theres a factory I'm assuming a pretty big one that say "Definitive Technology" on it? Am I just not understanding this correctly? I am somewhat confused please help? J.H.
post #14 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

That said, Triad builds 67 out of it's 70 models in Portland, Oregon, in a lean manufacturing facility that is a showplace of efficiency. We do not purchase cabinets; we make them. We still purchase drivers from Danish speaker companies Scan-Speak, Peerless, Seas, and Vifa, because we get custom drivers from them that far exceed the quality of what we could engineer and build.

Just to give credit where I think credit is due, isn't Seas a Norwegian company?

I agree with you on the quality, and would extend your statement to include most (all?) speaker companies.
post #15 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

but does that mean that somewhere in China theres a factory I'm assuming a pretty big one that say "Definitive Technology" on it? Am I just not understanding this correctly? I am somewhat confused please help? J.H.

No, it would definatly be outsourced to a different company, who could well be making speakers and electronics for multiple companies.
post #16 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I really do not want to start a range war, but the majority of the speakers mentioned here that are allegedly built in their headquarters' country are in fact built in China. That in no way makes them an inferior product.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #17 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 04:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I really do not want to start a range war, but the majority of the speakers mentioned here that are allegedly built in their headquarters' country are in fact built in China. That in no way makes them an inferior product.

I don't disagree I mean who knows where stuff is made anymore unfortunetly. All I know is B&K and QSC is and that was a find. I knew already that Def Techs werent so it wasn't a surprise.
post #18 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I agree the quality coming out of Chinese Manfacturing plants is very good. I am sure if they can build a 5 Series BMW, they can handle making a speaker or audio component. I assume when says "made in" it is assembled in that country, but some the components come from other places.
post #19 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's one of my brand new GPA (Great Plains Audio) 902-16 compression drivers, as fine as any 1" driver made. And made in Oklahoma City.

The gorgeous green hammertone woofers were American made too, back in 19and61.
LL
post #20 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

Just to give credit where I think credit is due, isn't Seas a Norwegian company?

I agree with you on the quality, and would extend your statement to include most (all?) speaker companies.

Dyanaudio,SEAS,Pearless,Vifa,Scanpseak,and a few other small little companies which are all part of Tiphony(which I spelled wrong) except for Dynaudio and SEAS and Dynaudio used to be are all from Denmark.Eton,Accuton,and MB Qaurt are from Germany. Focal drivers are from France along with Atohm the drivers thats in the Onix Reference series and Mini Strata and Usher their drivers are almost exact duplicates of Scanspeaks and in some cases have measured better are all sousced from Taiwan and HiVi Inc. they own Swan are from China and they make some good driver to.Companies like B&W,Paradigm,Wharfedale,Phase Tech,PSB(except fot the Platinum series) make their own drivers.
post #21 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have seen SVS's manufacturing building, havent toured but I have been. They are making some their lower end drivers and all of their cabinets in house. The high end drivers are made by TC sounds who makes all their drivers in california, so I guess they are US made. I dont know who makes their amps though. I wonder about onix, I am pretty sure they have relations with companies overseas as the owner seems to travel over there a lot but I honestly dont know what business takes him there.
post #22 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Martin Logan makes their ESL line in their manufacturing plant in Lawrence, KS. These are the Summits, Vantages, Vistas, Script I's, Cinema I's, and Stages. Their Design Series models are outsourced with the exception of the panel for the Clarity. And I believe that all of their subwoofer models are outsourced.
post #23 of 92 Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 PM
SDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconno View Post

Years ago...the debates seemed to include terms like "east coast" sound (Advent, AR) vs the "west coast" sound (Cerwin Vega) with the occasional reference to imported speakers as having their own distinct sound and a general consensus that "made in Japan" or other oriental origin, sound, was genuinely tinny and terrible. My novice and "dumb" question is; what are the speaker brands that do both engineer and manufacture speakers incl. all internal components, in the U.S. of A. ?

Up until recently, Thiel was entirely U.S.-made, and mostly they still are made in Lexington, Kentucky. However, I think some of their cast aluminum cabinet parts now come from China.

SDL
post #24 of 92 Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not positive about every driver in their line up but Gallo would come close with the 3.1 model.

Mark Conner
post #25 of 92 Old 02-02-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

I'm pretty sure JBL and klispch are designed and assembled here, at least their higher end models, but I would doubt there are many, if any, companies that have zero foreign made parts

Klipsch Reference is manufactured in Mexico.

John W.
Indy
post #26 of 92 Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

Klipsch Reference is manufactured in Mexico.

I thought the high-end of the Reference line was made in Indianapolis?
Klipsch Heritage certainly are.

post #27 of 92 Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
ACI:
Until quite recently all cabinets made here in U.S. Now, most cabinets are built in China. And, we've been extremely pleased with the quality. Drivers of all current models are either European, or custom built by an OEM company in the U.S. (subwoofer drivers). Crossover parts are primarily U.S. and Euro with a few from China. Subwoofer amplifiers custom built by a U.S. OEM company. All design, crossover assembly, speaker assembly, testing, and QC are done here in the U.S.

Mike Dzurko
Audio Concepts, Inc. (ACI)
post #28 of 92 Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDL View Post

Up until recently, Thiel was entirely U.S.-made, and mostly they still are made in Lexington, Kentucky. However, I think some of their cast aluminum cabinet parts now come from China.

SDL

Thiel's are entirely manufactured in the USA in Lexington, KY and all the drivers are also manufactured by Thiel.

If you want to get really nitpicky, I'm sure some of the materials used are purchased overseas. An example would be some of their exotic woods which come from South America.

I feel as long as the quality control is there, I don't really care where the parts are made as long as sound is not degraded because of it.
post #29 of 92 Old 03-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

I thought the high-end of the Reference line was made in Indianapolis?
Klipsch Heritage certainly are.

The higher end of their lines are made in the US, (Indy). The RF-82 on down are made in China.

(edit) I really can't complain. Yes, I would love to have American made products, but the quality of my speakers is superb. The cabinet is absolutely stout and well made, (and pretty darn heavy). The components and assembly are of fantastic quality. And the cherry wood veneer is gorgous.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #30 of 92 Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Thiel's are entirely manufactured in the USA in Lexington, KY and all the drivers are also manufactured by Thiel.

Just curious,... but even all of the crossover components are made in the USA?

Mark

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page