Paradigm Studio 100 v4 vs. Signature S6 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering replacing my left/right mains in my home theater - and I've narrowed the candidate choices to the Paradigm Studio 100 v4 ($2500 pr.) or possibly the new, and much more expensive Paradigm Signature S6 ($5000 pr.) The S8's would be a nice choice too, except they are too tall to fit in my theater.

The speakers will be used 80% for TV/movie viewing, and the rest for music listening. Cost is not really an issue here - but I honestly think the Studio 100's are the better value - and offer additional bass that the S6 cannot match. The S6 has a stunning appearance, and superb build quality, but to me it seems this is a secondary consideration - as the Studio 100's are also very solidly built.

Wondering if anyone has a viewpoint on this.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just bought the Studio 100's, CC-690, and 20's... and I think they are a great sounding setup. I have never been able to hear the sig's, and I do have to say, I think they are beautiful looking speakers, from what I have seen in pictures.
Even though the 100's have a great low end, Im still supplementing them with a sub. They are a amazing bang for the buck, in sound quality, and performance... Thrilled to death.
IMO, They really need a powerful amp to really drive them properly.

If money was no object, I might have gone another way, these were expensive for me, but well worth the years I will be getting from them...

Just another moronic internet opinion

Warp
post #3 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bishop View Post

I'm considering replacing my left/right mains in my home theater - and I've narrowed the candidate choices to the Paradigm Studio 100 v4 ($2500 pr.) or possibly the new, and much more expensive Paradigm Signature S6 ($5000 pr.) The S8's would be a nice choice too, except they are too tall to fit in my theater.

The speakers will be used 80% for TV/movie viewing, and the rest for music listening. Cost is not really an issue here - but I honestly think the Studio 100's are the better value - and offer additional bass that the S6 cannot match. The S6 has a stunning appearance, and superb build quality, but to me it seems this is a secondary consideration - as the Studio 100's are also very solidly built.

Wondering if anyone has a viewpoint on this.

I have not heard the v4 100's but I do own the v3 100's along with a pair of the Sig 8's and 4's. I have not heard a 6 but for me anyway the 8's completely dominate the 100's across the board. Now the 100's are a fine speaker but come no where close to what I hear when I'm listening to the 8's.

I also prefer the S'4s over the 100's.

Russ
post #4 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I have not heard the v4 100's but I do own the v3 100's along with a pair of the Sig 8's and 4's. I have not heard a 6 but for me anyway the 8's completely dominate the 100's across the board. Now the 100's are a fine speaker but come no where close to what I hear when I'm listening to the 8's.

I also prefer the S'4s over the 100's.

I've listened to the v4 100's extensively - and they are quite nice - but my dealer has yet to get a pair of the S6. So I'm waiting it out until I can hear both sets of speakers in the same listening session.

I'm hoping someone on this board has heard the S6 and can comment on its performance relative to the v4 100's.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #5 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm having trouble finding the new Sigs and v4 on Paradigms website. Any clue why the website has not been updated?

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #6 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

I'm having trouble finding the new Sigs and v4 on Paradigms website. Any clue why the website has not been updated?

The Paradigm web site is out of date. The v4 Studio's and V2 Signatures were shown way back in September '06 at CEDIA, not to mention CES this past January. Don't know why they have not updated it.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #7 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
i think a lot of people are wondering what gives with their
website i know the marketing people will tell them it will
help to promote there product.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
3-4 months of new products for sale/sold and no update on their site..
Im not sure what to think about that tactic...
post #9 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Too tall? How's that possible? (Just curious). My S8's come up to just under the half-way point on my screen.

Quote:

The speakers will be used 80% for TV/movie viewing, and the rest for music listening. Cost is not really an issue here - but I honestly think the Studio 100's are the better value - and offer additional bass that the S6 cannot match.

Since you're going to be using them for 80% TV/movie, you're going to want to roll them off around 80Hz with a sub anyway. None of these speakers will give you the correct amount of very low bass needed for movies so a sub is required regardless. If that 20% music has you preferring to listen without a sub then buy bigger.

Quote:

The S6 has a stunning appearance, and superb build quality, but to me it seems this is a secondary consideration - as the Studio 100's are also very solidly built. Wondering if anyone has a viewpoint on this.

IMHO (based on my experiences with Sig v1's and Studio v3's) both are excellent speakers. Nobody however can really which are a 'better value' (as you asked previously) as 'value' depends on your needs. The Paradigm Monitor line is an even better value than either of these two lines is you ask me. For someone that wants a capable speaker that's well built and sounds very reasonable but doesn't know or care much about the differences in speakers, I point them to the Paradigm Monitor line.

I bought S8's (v1) however. (I really didn't like the tweater in the Studio v3's - I'm really curious to hear the v4's however as they supposedly have the same tweeter as the Sig v1's.

IMHO you really need to listen to both and decide for yourself. This is not really something that people can answer for you I'm afraid.

kal
post #10 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 08:30 PM

Michael, I'm glad to see this thread since I've been struggling with a similar purchase as well. I have auditioned the Paradigm Studio 100 v4's and the Signature S8 v1's. I'm very anxious to hear the Sig S8 v2's and have been told to expect March availability. I know the original question was slanted toward comparing the S6 v2's vs. Studio 100 v4's, so I hope my comments aren't too far off base.

My use will be 60% TV/movies - 40% music in a 17' L X 17' W X 18' H room. No room treatments at the moment.

If I were to purchase the Studio 100 v4's, I would include the CC-590 (not the CC-690 since this will be placed on a fireplace mantle and is too big), ADP 590's and a JL Audio Fathom F113 Sub.

Concerning a Sig S8 v2 purchase, I don't know the surround system specifics yet, but I would be adding the complement center speaker and rear surrounds. A JL Audio Fathom F113 Sub would be included.

I believe the Studio 100 v4's are a fine speaker and much improved with the Sig tweeter, providing smoother upper end sound. The 100 v3's seemed edgy (at times) when listening to upper end material, such as electric guitar and horns. The end result was slight fatigue for me. Also, I was somewhat surprised that the v4's were stressed at times in the low bass. This was two channel listening and I am wondering how well the speakers will respond with big movie sound. The cabinets are quite nice, but not outstanding by any means (IMO).

The Sig S8 v1's are definitely superior than the 100 v4's for me, with an overall similar sound, but much more capable (40%) in all regards (hi, mid, low). Maybe a bit darker sounding than the 100 v4's. I didn't have a sense that the speakers (S8) couldn't handle the material. The S8 cherry cabinets are stunning and have a furniture look, which is important since they would have such a prominent position in my room Obviously, I can't comment on the S8 v2's yet but I will assume they will be similar.

So, the S8 is a better sounding and better looking speaker than the 100's, but are the S8's worth the dramatic increase in price? I know everyone will say to let your ears decide, and I guess they are right. Perhaps I need to consider the S6 v2's as well! As you can tell, the answer is not clear to me yet.

Mike

PS I will be purchasing separate components and would like to discuss with everyone as well.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

wasn't the concept of the sigs spare no expense put the best they had to offer
and a big price increase to cover that.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Too tall? How's that possible? (Just curious). My S8's come up to just under the half-way point on my screen.
kal

The front portion of my home theater is built out of custom cabinets - and the booths for the main left and right speakers are 16" Wide x 47" High x 23" deep. Not quite tall enough for the S8's, unfortunately.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #13 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

unfortunately those speakers like about a foot and a half space
around them for better performance.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 PM

Michael,

What center are you currently running, and what are your mains now?

John
post #15 of 21 Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellexjohn View Post

Michael,
What center are you currently running, and what are your mains now?
John

Currently, I'm running a mix of speaker brands - all auto-equalized by my Pioneer VSX-49tx receiver.

Main L/R: Celestion A3
Center: Klipsch RC-7
Surrounds: Legacy Sconce LCR
Rear: (2) Niles OS-25

The system actually sounds really good. The Celestions are the oldest at about 8 years.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #16 of 21 Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 AM

Michael,

I'm always courious why peope are looking to upgrade speakers. I recently did the same myself. My reason for upgrading was to trade in my bookshelfs for floorstanders as I listen to alot of music in 2 channel and don't like to run the sub sometimes. I also believe matching speakers is very important for HT. The front 3 if nothing else.

Is there any reason besides the age of your speakers that you are concidering trading them out? Have you concidered a sub?

John
post #17 of 21 Old 02-10-2007, 08:11 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

unfortunately those speakers like about a foot and a half space
around them for better performance.

Correct. Even more so in some cases. My S8's are good 2 feet if not more into the room.

Kal
post #18 of 21 Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Correct. Even more so in some cases. My S8's are good 2 feet if not more into the room.

Kal

I thought you were going to stick to lower case.

(The other) Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #19 of 21 Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Oops. I slip up at times. Though my actual name *is* "Kal" (with a capital... I simply registered incorrectly back in 2000).

Kal errr, I mean kal
post #20 of 21 Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Oops. I slip up at times. Though my actual name *is* "Kal" (with a capital... I simply registered incorrectly back in 2000).

Kal errr, I mean kal

I see. I put my name in my sig so I don't make mistakes (at least not with my name).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #21 of 21 Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellexjohn View Post

Michael,
Is there any reason besides the age of your speakers that you are concidering trading them out? Have you concidered a sub?
John

Really, the Celestions I have are quite nice. For movies I use 2 Paradigm PW2200 subs. For music, it's mostly 2-channel - and occasionally surround. I just feel the desire to change things up a bit. It's difficult to find a worthy successor to the Celestion A3's that fit in a form factor of 16"W x 47"H x 23D". A while back I listened to the B&W 803D's - as they would have fit okay in my cabinet booths - but afterwards, I came to the conclusion that the Celestions actually sounded better to me. The 803D's seemed weak in the midrange to me - and they were being driven by a McIntosh MC-207 amp, and MVP-861 source - so I think it was a fair setup of the 803Ds.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page