Official AV123/Onix Owners Thread: TECHNICAL TALK ONLY - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1724 Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you didn't have an open floor plan I'd say go with the VTF-1. But you do.........

I have my AV equipment in a sunken family room open to the entire 1st floor, plus the living room next to it is wide open to the second floor, and MY SVS gets lost sometimes.

Get the MFW.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1724 Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. That was all the persuasion I needed.
Ordered one today.
post #453 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 AM

I've mounted Bigfoot 12 inches off the wall. Can anyone tell me if this is safe?

[IMG][/IMG]
post #454 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
[quote=madcutter;15237142]I've mounted Bigfoot 12 inches off the wall. Can anyone tell me if this is safe?

If the mount can support the weight I would say it's safe.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #455 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I dunno.... that looks awfully tenuous to me. Is there any way to get that speaker on a secured shelf rather than on the shelf brackets alone?

John W.
Indy
post #456 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcutter View Post

I've mounted Bigfoot 12 inches off the wall. Can anyone tell me if this is safe?

[IMG][/IMG]

you have to ask? it doesn't look safe to me... Mount a board/shelf on those brackets then set the center on the shelf.
post #457 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 AM

Well, there is a board underneath it.

I may move it in a few inches. The Rocket manual states 6-8 inches from the back wall is the minimum clearance. More is recommended however.

By the way I have filled the interior of the Bigfoot with nitroglycerin.
post #458 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Tell me those shelf brackets are screwed directly into the 2X4 studs behind the drywall and NOT attached with mollys or inserts or ....

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #459 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 AM

If those brackets are screwed into studs they should hold. For the shelf, you'll want 1/2" plywood and have the plywood extend all the way to the back of the wall and securely screwed into the brackets. With the towel it is hard to see how it is secured to the brackets but it doesn't look safe as is.
post #460 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 AM

So, when is MLS going to drop the bomb over on the forums?
post #461 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Well many of the die-hards seemed to have jump ship on other forums. My best guess ... the strategy here is out with the old (loyal or not) and in with the new.

Dano

TheMonk
------------
You have two choices in life ... Being a part of the problem or the solution. Which do you choose?
post #462 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post

Well many of the die-hards seemed to have jump ship on other forums. My best guess ... the strategy here is out with the old (loyal or not) and in with the new.

Dano

I think some of you seem pretty sure of what MLS is going to do.... without having a clue as to what MLS is going to do....

John W.
Indy
post #463 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 PM

I'm fairly sure it makes no sense to anyone within or without ... which typically means the end result won't be the desired one.

Regardless, AV123 has my support.

TheMonk
------------
You have two choices in life ... Being a part of the problem or the solution. Which do you choose?
post #464 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Did the most recent "AV123 Soap" thread get deleted?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #465 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Did the most recent "AV123 Soap" thread get deleted?

Yes, and this one probably will too, unless we start talking about speakers again. By the way, I ordered a pair of the B-stock ELT525m's on cyber-Monday. I've been wanting to hear a pair of these since they came out.

Jim
post #466 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Does anyone find it peculiar that the current Rocket special is at such a significant discount from what the speakers were selling at not too long ago?

If you look at it, for $1700 they are giving the 850's ($2k) the Bigfoot ($600) and the 450s ($900) plus the free x-head.

I am considering jumping on this, but they always say 'when something seems too good to be true, it usually is'. Any advice?
post #467 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

Does anyone find it peculiar that the current Rocket special is at such a significant discount from what the speakers were selling at not too long ago?

If you look at it, for $1700 they are giving the 850's ($2k) the Bigfoot ($600) and the 450s ($900) plus the free x-head.

I am considering jumping on this, but they always say 'when something seems too good to be true, it usually is'. Any advice?

I got the Labor day special which was pretty similar in price except they didn't offer the x-head. This special is much better with lots of choices. I got my speakers last week and have been extremely impressed. Go for it, you won't be disappointed. If you are, you could always return them
post #468 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:

I'm also considering jumping on this but with their status so up in the air, I'm debating what to do now.

Be interesting to see 'page 2' of Marks letter.
post #469 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is a great deal, and I would jump on it. AV123 is still a solid company, and they stand behind their products. I have bought 850's, 550's, Big Foot in the past, and just recently bought LS-6's and 2 MFW-15 subs with no problems and quick service.
post #470 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post

I'm also considering jumping on this but with their status so up in the air, I'm debating what to do now.

I never could find 'page 1'. Can anyone provide a link or pm me a link?
post #471 of 1724 Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:

I never could find 'page 1'. Can anyone provide a link or pm me a link?

When (if?) the forum comes back up...
post #472 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, and this one probably will too, unless we start talking about speakers again.

Sorry about that, I just noticed the most recent one was shutdown again....I guess there is a certainly a no-no for dicussing any other online forum!!

post #473 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley63 View Post

Yes, and this one probably will too, unless we start talking about speakers again. By the way, I ordered a pair of the B-stock ELT525m's on cyber-Monday. I've been wanting to hear a pair of these since they came out.

Jim

I don't own ELT525's but have listened to them, nice speaker. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
post #474 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 09:27 AM

I own a MFW and today my x-voce will arrive. When someone says their sub is very musical, WTF does that mean. (excuse my language) I read it all the time here and could never figure out what it means. How is a subwoofer musical.
post #475 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 AM

A NON-musical sub gets in the way of the music. Maybe the sound is "fat"/bloated, or "slow" and doesn't seem to keep up with the rest of the music. Basically a NON-musical sub detracts from the music while a musical sub adds to the music without drawing undue attention to itself.
post #476 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post

My advice is to jump on it. The deal isn't 'too good to be true' thats just how av123 rolls. Last November I bought 850s, bigfoot, and rss300's with a free pair of x-s speakers (which never hit production) and i think my total was about $1700 or 1800. Im sure they still make a decent amount on sales this good.

Also, i don't think av123's status is up in the air at all. They seem to be chugging along just fine, its just the forum thats up in the air.

*Disclaimer* I am by no means a fanboy. I have both publicly and privately quarreled with AV123 staff but bottom line is the product is great and right now the price is spectacular. That being said, if you aren't prepared to wait for a product, I'd be weary of purchase (even if it is said to be in stock).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #477 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, i don't think av123's status is up in the air at all. They seem to be chugging along just fine, its just the forum thats up in the air

I learned a long time ago in business, stock markets and life that where there is smoke there is usually fire. Too many options out there to think we have to buy AV123 products just because there is a sale.

Remember its not one problem its several years of problems.....something new every other month. Luckily that make great products and I have always enjoyed their speakers.

As much as people are posting, "Dont worry, the company is fine". Im going to post, YES WORRY, its your money. Its funny but doesn't anyone pay attention to the real world???

AIG.....We are fine we cashflow and we are stable.
Lehmans.....We are not in the same situation as Bear Stearns.
Dozens of other companies....gone!

Heck, I know lots of private construction companies that had to go under because there is NO CAPITAL out there....I do not think AV123 is flush with cash either so they need short term Capital to keep going.

Buy wisely, do I believe AV123 is going under....NOPE but do I think there is risk?? Hell YES!!!

post #478 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's not very comforting. I jumped on the fantastic 850's deal black Friday. The ETA is/was end of January.(AV123 is still showing an ETA for new 850 orders for Dec.?????)
Now all of this talk is really getting me worried.

What did the 1st letter say?? Is MS suppose to make some drastic announcement pertaining to the forums or the business itself?

Back to topic. How do you like your 850's?

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #479 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post

That's not very comforting. I jumped on the fantastic 850's deal black Friday. The ETA is/was end of January.(AV123 is still showing an ETA for new 850 orders for Dec.?????)
Now all of this talk is really getting me worried.

What did the 1st letter say?? Is MS suppose to make some drastic announcement pertaining to the forums or the business itself?

Back to topic. How do you like your 850's?

I too placed an order and am a little weirded-out about the way AV123 has been so irregular lately, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

The letter wasn't anything "drastic." at least to people who aren't existing customers. IIRC it was largely about the challenges AV123 has faced in communications with its Cali, Colombia manufacturing facility, and generally about Mark Schifter's difficulty in keeping an open line of communications with customers (not that I really see the latter as a problem - it seems to me they are very good that way). I'm not sure I really get what the present situation is about.

I am now turning to how the hell I'm going to mount a bigfoot. I'm leaning toward two tall standing monitor stands behind my TV. I'd use a TV mount, but I have a small window just above my TV and I don't think one of those will fit. We shall see . . .
post #480 of 1724 Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhas View Post

Last November I bought 850s, bigfoot, and rss300's with a free pair of x-s speakers (which never hit production)

I had nearly forgotten about this. Do you think they will ever rectify it? I feel like AV123 does stuff like that a lot. A couple summers ago I remember MLS posting something to the effect of a free pair of X-S to anyone who had to wait for their XLS for more than four weeks or so. I was looking forward to that, but they never came to be...and no one seems to remember that one but me. Then there was the Rocket special that promised full trade-in credit toward the Rocket II line. To be fair, that may be fulfilled in the future, but who knows when Rocket II will actually come out (within five years is probably being optimistic), and if anyone will remember that offer when it finally comes to pass?

I'm a fan of the company and its products, but stuff like this just adds to the shady reputation it's starting to get.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page