Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1724 Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mike_pro,

Welcome to the club. Very nice post and review on your new setup. My Rocket 850/200/550 setup was my first set of speakers that made me say "WOW!" too. They've got to be some of the best "bang for your buck" speakers out there. Now I've upgraded to LS-6 mains and an X-Voce center, and I'm having more WOW moments! My dual MFW-15 subs are great too, lots of slam and very musical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1724 Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ELT's will be here in a day or two and my 806 showed up today. I hope it sounds as good as I want it too
post #543 of 1724 Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 PM

My Rocket order was just 'confirmed'. Now the long, long, agonizing month or so to wait until they show up.
post #544 of 1724 Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephF View Post

Look, I love every piece of AV123 equipment that I own. But these kinds of actions will most definitely force me think about whether or not they are a company that I choose to continue to do business with.

While I own more than a few pieces and love the equipment I bought from av123 and have shown my loyalty to the company in the past, even if I was stuck on the dark side of the moon and MLS was selling sunshine in a bottle, I won't buy from them again.
post #545 of 1724 Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Hi MLS,
Loyal fan for about 4 months now and still visiting the av123 forum several times a day just in case I can finally go back home. I currently feel as if I'm sleeping on the couch again. Would like to see some of these X-S pictures you mentioned and what these speakers are most useful in (i.e. 2 channel, HT, etc)
post #546 of 1724 Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Congrats on the new Rockets..

I've got 2 complete HT's with them in it..along with 2 perfectly running MFW-15's...They are some of the best I have heard here in my home as well..and there is always the WoW factor..both in looks and from how they sound from anyone who comes over..

Mac
post #547 of 1724 Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hello...

We kindly ask to please keep this thread on topic of support of product listed. The marketing or the promotion of the products is not something we would like to continue to see. Furthermore based on some issues with back and fourth between members on the product line itself please remember that AVS is not the place for debate on the brand, company, or owners. It is not welcomed and attacks between members will really not help.

Reminder...Speakers are subjective and what one person may like, someone else may not. What works well in one home, may not in another. It is always a good rule of them to be able to listen if you can.

We will not be drawn into a debate on this. Most of you know the rules of use for the site. We do try to look the other way at times for the good of all, however when issues grow to a certain point, then we must take some action. (case in point is the age of this thread.)

Thank you for your help in this matter as we look to be able to keep the threads on the current line open for support that the members may need.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #548 of 1724 Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the post David, I'd hate to see the av123 discussion make people think that avsforum is full of fanboys and people just looking for some kind of baseless fight. Good work.
post #549 of 1724 Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 AM

I was wondering if you are finally releasing the x-s speakers if I am still eligable for the set that I was supposed to get at the end of '07 when I purchased my Rockets? I got the 850/200/300/250 and then you ran into supplier problems.

Also, I am wondering if you are going to put out a sub again like the ufw-12. I was going to get a pair of them as my preamp is 7.2 but then they were discontinued. My HT is just that but I would love to have a maching pair of subs.

And third I am really wondering about replacing my rear 250's with 450's. I'm running 200 watts RMS and my room is 14'x23', thick pad and carpet on cement floor, ICE insulation in 2"x6" walls with 5/8" drywall and theater curtains hung on the wall with acoustic ceiling tile on a 9' ceiling. I know my room is a bit small but I think I would probably prefer rear towers to hanging bookshelf speakers.

On an out note, I waited almost 5 months to recieve my Rockets after I paid for them and the delivery date was pushed back twice. When I opened the boxes and unpacked the speakers I was shocked as was my buddy that helped me. When I got them hooked up I about fell over. I auditioned Polk, Klipch, Infinity, Boston, BO and Martin Logan and was glad I waited 5 months. That is ALOT of sound from those little drivers and the build quality is second to none (and I got real wood not contact paperas with 1 manufacturer). That is the most impressed I have been with a speaker since we fired up our first EV x-line system. I am in love with you product and if I have to wait a year for subs I know I'll be happy atleast once in 2010! Keep up the good work Mark and ignore the croud that would bitch if you hung them with a new rope!
post #550 of 1724 Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

With my ELT set coming today I can't help but wonder what kind of difference in sound there will be. I'm coming from JBL E30's up front, EC35 center, EC10's and 20's for surrounds. These speakers did a great job for home theater and an ok job for music. I hope the ELT's still do a great job for home theater but also a great job for music. It'll likely be this weekend before I'm able to get everything set up.
post #551 of 1724 Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Well, with nearly a week of break in and tweaking on my Rocket 850/450/200 package, I can only say I am getting more and more pleased with it.

Did some critical listening last night of a few CD's I like to use as my speaker demo disc. Usually Dire Straits Brothers In Arms CD, and a few other. 850's in 2 channel mode (no sub) are very impressive. No distortion even playing at or above reference levels from my Onkyo 805. Very clear, and detailed, good imaging. These speakers compare very favorably to others I auditioned that were in the 4k price range, (Monitor Audio gold series, PSB, ATC). The best part is, I got the entire 5 channel setup for less than 1/2 of what just the fronts would have cost me of those other brands.

These babies sound and look beautiful. Don't know how I could be happier...

I'll probably re-do another 8 point Audyssey calibration in a week or two to compensate for anymore break in of the drivers, and keep y'all posted.
post #552 of 1724 Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickplayer4 View Post

I was wondering if you are finally releasing the x-s speakers if I am still eligable for the set that I was supposed to get at the end of '07 when I purchased my Rockets? I got the 850/200/300/250 and then you ran into supplier problems.

From what I understand the x-s isn't happening. People that ordered packages that included the x-s either get 129 in store credit or they can buy the ELT525 for 159. That doesn't sound like your situation though. If you call in I'd hope you could get one or the other of the above deals but I'd guess the default in your situation is not getting anything. I think there's a post somewhere on their closed forum about this but I couldn't find it off the top of my head.

Personally I like bookshelves for surrounds since they're generally supposed to be mounted above ear height, which can be difficult for a floor stander, especially a small one like the 450. I don't think the added capability of the 450 will add much if anything for HT and the decreased placement options will actually detract. If you listen to a lot of 5 channel music the answer might be different.
post #553 of 1724 Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 PM

I was thinking about getting the ELT 525 package or the Rocket 450 package. Actually leaning toward the 450 package. One concern, as NicolasKL stated, was the 450's as rears. Any comments on the two would be appreciated. Also, what amp or receiver would drive them properly.
Thanks
post #554 of 1724 Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronep View Post

I was thinking about getting the ELT 525 package or the Rocket 450 package. Actually leaning toward the 450 package. One concern, as NicolasKL stated, was the 450's as rears. Any comments on the two would be appreciated. Also, what amp or receiver would drive them properly.
Thanks

I have 550's for side surrounds, and really like them there. Not only does multi-channel music sound great, but I think HT audio sounds better on full range speakers for side surrounds than with bookshelf type speakers. I tried two different pairs of bookshelf style speakers (mounted higher) before I bought the 550's, so I know what the difference sounds like. I would say to be sure to get the tweeters at ear level if you go with 450's, buy the risers, or elevate them some way. What I like best about the 550's is they have a fuller sound and much better bass on music and HT. Do you remember when the Machine talked to Neo at the end of "Matrix 3", or the cannon shots from the side in "Master and Commander"? With full range speakers on the sides you feel like you are there.
post #555 of 1724 Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 AM

I thought I had read a post that sounded like the x-s was going to finally come to fruition but I may have been mistaken. As far as the speakers in the HT go I don't listen to much music in there unless it is a concert DVD. I had considered also getting the risers or maybe just get another pair of 850's for the rear since they are on sale. I do appriciate your input and hope that MLS reads my original post so maybe he can shed some light on a chance of a matching Rocket sub coming back.
post #556 of 1724 Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing to consider is by using towers as surrounds, you no longer need to worry about speaker stands or mounts of any kind. I've always thought that alone was worth the price of admition. Even though the surround channels don't have near the information of the front three, it's always nice when they do have that extra bit like listed above.... that you have a full range speaker to reproduce it. Plus with the sound tracks getting more and more complex, some day, full range surrounds may be the norm.

Plus, I've auditioned the 450's on several occassions. For the $$$ they are spectacular IMHO.

John W.
Indy
post #557 of 1724 Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickplayer4 View Post

I thought I had read a post that sounded like the x-s was going to finally come to fruition but I may have been mistaken.

Mark Shifter wrote on Tuesday in a post that was deleted that, "I also read about the x-s loudspeakers in another thread and I'm very pleased to report that a US based manufacturer has agreed to make these enclosures for us... We have 800 woofers, tweeters and (400) x/o's here and ready to install... The time frame has been set for June - and I wouldn't bet against us being ready in time... "
post #558 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Im about to pull the trigger on this setup:

Rocket 850 signatures + Matching Center.
Epik Castle subwoofer (if epik can gets its supply going again)
Denon 2809 receiver
Emotiva XPA-3
and im going to keep my current psb b25 as rears for now as my budget is all used up

Anybody have any input as to how the rockets sound with emotiva amps?
post #559 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

Denon 2809 receiver
Emotiva XPA-3
and im going to keep my current psb b25 as rears for now as my budget is all used up

I have the Emo MSP-1 and the RS850s and I am very happy with this combo. I am sure you will be happy with your Emo and Rockets.

Mark
post #560 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

Denon 2809 receiver
Emotiva XPA-3

Go for it, the rockets are great speakers. You will have a great system when you get it all and set it up.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #561 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm wondering if moving from my Paradigms (Titan fronts, 270 center, Atom rears) to a ELT525 package will be a noticeable improvement. My room is about 12 x 19 with 70HT/30music. I never play my system too loud due to a small child needing something called sleep.

I've had my Paradigms for at least 5 years.

I know it's only for me to judge but I was wondering if anybody was in the same boat as me. Going from Paradigms to ELT's, that is.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
post #562 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

My 7.0 set of ELT's came on Friday. I had a chance to listen to the monitors and towers so far. Very flat, huge soundstage and great mids!

One concern about the speakers. I noticed that one of the monitors has a small chip missing, I can see mdf. It's hidden when the grill is in place, so, no big deal, but, is there anything I need to do to further protect it from getting worse?
post #563 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Chadci--

My advice would be to go ahead and get the speaker replaced. The chip could get bigger or could lead to veneer fissures. I'm in the process of having my couple month old Bigfoot replaced for severe fissures. The only problem is that I'll be without my center channel for a few days!

HD DVD - 60
Blu-Ray - Lost Count
post #564 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

What's a fissure?
post #565 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM

It's similar to a henweigh.
post #566 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotiondoubt View Post

It's similar to a henweigh.

you're not going to get me on that one!
post #567 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM

had to try...
post #568 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Ha!
post #569 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM

I'd like to know how that center channel works out compared to your old 3 way JBL.
post #570 of 1724 Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotiondoubt View Post

I'd like to know how that center channel works out compared to your old 3 way JBL.

I'd like to know too I was busy installing my IB over the weekend and I never got the center mounted. Hopefully within the week I'll have it ( as well as the surrounds) up and running.... and the new onkyo 806. I'm busy.
Reply Speakers