Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

Question though ... the 525s weight a ton and because of the rear port I don't think throwing my rears up on the wall is a good idea (not to mention that they may be to heavy) like my current rears are ...

are they really that heavy? i was thinking about putting them on my ceiling. btw what mounts are you using for your current speakers up there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM

The 525's should be fine to mount on wall or ceiling. I did a cieling mount with them just fine using the recommended peerless mounts. Here are a couple quick pics - sorry, the main room for sound enjoyment is also the family room, kid room and opens to kitchen and dining room. It's a dedicated room for sure - dedicated to clutter.

post #723 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcj View Post

The 525's should be fine to mount on wall or ceiling. I did a cieling mount with them just fine using the recommended peerless mounts. Here are a couple quick pics - sorry, the main room for sound enjoyment is also the family room, kid room and opens to kitchen and dining room. It's a dedicated room for sure - dedicated to clutter.

Is that a Loud and Clear grill on the Sub?

It looks like you could use some to protect the Fronts from your kids.
post #724 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I hope you didn't take any offense to the quotation marks. I was using them as I wasn't sure if this was a studio or a master bedroom or something else.

As for the rear surrounds, I would probably start in what will seem to be a strange place, but next to the bed, probably all the way towards the head of the bed. Then move the side surrounds to even with or just behind the couch. Calibrate everything, walk around and see if the space is still functional and then do some listening tests.

7.1 has been more beneficial when the rear surrounds have been further back when I have auditioned it. 5.1 may be better in that small of a space, but that will ultimately be your decision and tastes.

LOL ... no offense taken ... I thought it was funny as I jokingly call that my master bedroom LOL. Thx a lot for your advice ... I'll start moving things around to see what sounds and works best for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

I'll give you another perspective. Basically, I think your surround setup is pretty good the way it is now. I have a similar setup, except that my side surrounds are about 5-6 feet away from each side of my couch, and I have a little more room in the back for my rear surrounds. A little more space from your surround speakers would be nice, but if you don't have it, it's not an option. I think that 7.1 is better for your (and my) setup, as the back surrounds will make movie surround audio sound a little more "spacious" as it pans around the sides and back of your room. I have my back surround speakers in the same place, and angled down just like you, and they really sound great like that. You could try it both ways (5.1 vs. 7.1) and see what you like, which is what really matters!

Thx for the advice. I do like my setup. However, if I were to stay like this, I'd have to look into new rear surrounds because those 525's are really heavy. But like I said, I'm going to move things around and see whats best for my area ... thx again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1 View Post

Very nice indeed!!! How does the rosewood on the ELT525M's compare to the Rockets? If I pull the trigger on the Rockets I may substitute the 525's for surrounds instead of the 450's.

Thank you. Well, out the box they do look brighter than the rockets, but its not really noticeable once everything is in place. They both look really good together. I, personally would go for the 450s only b/c it would be more stable with my lil' girl running around. Let me know if you wanna do some kind of trade for those 450s

Gamertag: Dominikin
PS3 username: Dominikin
post #725 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppomerantz View Post

Is that a Loud and Clear grill on the Sub?

It looks like you could use some to protect the Fronts from your kids.

Yeah, LoudandClear grill (highly recommended, as always) is on the MFW15. The downfiring SVS in the corner is obviously the most protected of the bunch. The other speakers all normally have their grills on - just removed for the fancy photo op.
post #726 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM

You guys that have the 850's and bigfoot. Do you guys set them as Large or small on your receiver? and whats the crossover setting?

Thanks
post #727 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytool View Post

You guys that have the 850's and bigfoot. Do you guys set them as Large or small on your receiver? and whats the crossover setting?

Thanks

Small if you have a sub, large if not, crossover at 80 hz.
post #728 of 1724 Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
For just music, the 850s by themselves set to full are fun. Add the sub if you really like a lot of bottom end. For movies the Ultra all ways plays! Right now I have the crossover set to 60hz, but I am still working on what is ideal in my room.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #729 of 1724 Old 02-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Since AV123 doesn't make dipole surrounds, what is the best reccomendation for something I can put on the wall. The xomni needs a real HT room. I have a normal living room.

What is best suggestion? I need 3 and they need to be in black to match my x-statics.
post #730 of 1724 Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Why o you need 3-way? Unless you mean drivers on three sides, a 3 way design isn't going to net you much with surrounds. For mainly movie usage, I'd look at the Emotiva ERD-1's. I have read many positive reviews and they fit the other requirements you listed.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #731 of 1724 Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Why o you need 3-way? Unless you mean drivers on three sides, a 3 way design isn't going to net you much with surrounds. For mainly movie usage, I'd look at the Emotiva ERD-1's. I have read many positive reviews and they fit the other requirements you listed.

They are 4 ohm and I am uncertain about doing that. I am sure it will be okay....but still, I'd sleep better with 8 ohm.

After doing more research, perhaps the bipole won't work at all. The people will be sitting in the null. (I hope I phrased that correctly).

Perhaps a bookshelf will be a better choice.
post #732 of 1724 Old 03-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post

Since AV123 doesn't make dipole surrounds, what is the best reccomendation for something I can put on the wall. The xomni needs a real HT room. I have a normal living room.

What is best suggestion? I need 3 and they need to be in black to match my x-statics.

You can sometimes find RSS300's for sale used, or some people like the Axiom Audio QS8's. If you want a direct radiating bookshelf, maybe an ELT 525M? There are some on sale as B-stock right now pretty cheap (rosewood), and a really cheap pair of B-stock X-LS mini monitors in satin black on sale.
post #733 of 1724 Old 03-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post

I have both the qs8's and the erd 1's. The erd 1's for the money are excellent. http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm
They can be configured as either left or right side dipoles, or as left or right rear bi-poles. Read this review at Audioholics, the multi channel listening, http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...and-conclusion
You could buy two pair and still have money in your pocket compared to the qs8's.
post #734 of 1724 Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 AM

I've seen a few pictures of plans that av123 has to add some ELT on wall speakers as well as a few classified adds for the older style elt's and some rockets.
post #735 of 1724 Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I have both the qs8's and the erd 1's. The erd 1's for the money are excellent. http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm
They can be configured as either left or right side dipoles, or as left or right rear bi-poles. Read this review at Audioholics, the multi channel listening, http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...and-conclusion
You could buy two pair and still have money in your pocket compared to the qs8's.

I forgot about the ERD-1's, those would be one of the speakers at the top of my list to try as side or back surrounds. The only downside is they are 4 ohm, which might be an issue for some recievers. This is probably why the Audioholics reviewer had to crank up the volume louder with these speakers.
post #736 of 1724 Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM

How do the Rocket 450's sound at low listening/volume levels? Do you still hear a difference between them and the ELT525 towers?

Thanks.
post #737 of 1724 Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyriderfox View Post

How do the Rocket 450's sound at low listening/volume levels? Do you still hear a difference between them and the ELT525 towers?

Thanks.

I haven't heard the 450's but I would imagine so. They are different beasts. The design of the two, the Rockets will have more extended highs due to a better tweeter and more impact due to the drivers used. I imagine the ELT's would be smoother and more relaxed. For low levels I imagine the ELTs would be better.
post #738 of 1724 Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Hope this helps Nick...
LL
LL
LL
post #739 of 1724 Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Those are great, thanks Lee!

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #740 of 1724 Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM

Cross-posting from Audioholics... any feedback would be great.
Quote:

I've been using an AV123 x-series (classic) based setup in my living room for a couple of years, so I know what they sound like.

I'm planning to set up a small 2.1 system for my bedroom, and I thought I'd try a set of brighter speakers this time. I had narrowed my options down the AV123 ELT525M monitors and the Axiom M2. I know these speakers are quite dissimilar at the high frequencies, but lets ignore that for now.

My question was more about midrange and midbass. Has anybody heard both these models? Could you make any comparisons on the midrange/midbass reproduction of these two speakers?

I'm not concerned about sub-100Hz bass since I'll be crossing them over with a subwoofer.

Unfortunately I can't be more specific about exactly the kind of information I'm looking for because I haven't heard too many good quality speakers in my life. All I can hope for is to gather all your comments together and based on my single point of reference (my x-sls's), try to create a mental picture of which speakers I might end up liking more. I know both brands provide in-home auditioning but I'd like to avoid having to go through the trouble of shipping something back if I can get the right speakers in the first attempt.

Any other comments/suggestions are also welcome. Thanks in advance!

post #741 of 1724 Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Rocket 450's and the Bigfoot vs. the Classic X Series x-cs and x-mtm's? I am looking to upgrade from my X's to Rockets and the 2 pair of 450's coupled with the Bigfoot seems to good to pass up. My current setup includes a Budo upgraded x-cs and classic x-mtm's and x-ls'. Any thoughts?
post #742 of 1724 Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
no contest.

The 450's with Bigfoot romp the x-series. I owned both.
post #743 of 1724 Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Got my ELT package on Friday.

The build quality seems very solid, they look great (as others have mentioned, a flash makes them look more orange than they really are) and sound good too. I have not gotten much time to listen to them yet so I don't have a detailed review however. A big step up from my Energy e:XL package I bought on craigslist.

My only complaint is one other people have had as well. When running the speakers as full range, during heavy bass the badge on the grill vibrates, creating a fairly serious buzzing sound. I'll shove something between the badge and frame to absorb the vibration, but the bottom line is that shouldn't happen to begin with. Did they never test their speakers with the grills on? It's a pretty basic and embarrassing mistake to be making...

But again, that is easily fixable, and beyond that I couldn't be happier with the speakers, and would not hesitate to recommend them to others.

LL
LL
LL
post #744 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Anyone know if it is possible to cleanly remove the ELT525 badges from the grills? I'm thinking about getting these, but besides the vibration problem mentioned previously, I think the white on black design would be distracting.
post #745 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post

Anyone know if it is possible to cleanly remove the ELT525 badges from the grills? I'm thinking about getting these, but besides the vibration problem mentioned previously, I think the white on black design would be distracting.

I think you can heat up the backside with a hair dryer and the glue will come off. Double check with Mark Joslin (markj@www . av123 . com) and see what he says is the best method, though. You can also reach him at (877) 543-7500 ext 312.
post #746 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

no contest.

The 450's with Bigfoot romp the x-series. I owned both.

neekos-
Can you expand on your comments a bit more? I am really interested in the possibility of buying the 450's package and would love to know how they differ from the X's.
post #747 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM

To follow-up, do four 450's work together as a good package? ie. does the 2nd pair work well as surrounds?
post #748 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone View Post

Does anyone have any experience with Rocket 450's and the Bigfoot vs. the Classic X Series x-cs and x-mtm's? I am looking to upgrade from my X's to Rockets and the 2 pair of 450's coupled with the Bigfoot seems to good to pass up. My current setup includes a Budo upgraded x-cs and classic x-mtm's and x-ls'. Any thoughts?

Aaron, I had an SLS/CS set that I upgraded to 450/BF and was blown away by the difference between the two. The 450's dig deeper and hit much harder than the SLS' as well as having much greater clarity, detail, soundstage depth and with. Bigfoot has impact that the CS could only dream about. Dialog is crystal clear and centered. It is incredibly lifelike vs the CS that sounds good, but lacks the depth/impact/clarity that BF provides.

That's a quick and very dirty version but I haven't had that setup for over a year now so my memory definitely isn't remembering all of the differences.

IMHO (and now that I'm not with AV123 anymore my opinion slightly matters again) it is an upgrade WELL worth it that you will not regret!

Scott
post #749 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

Aaron, I had an SLS/CS set that I upgraded to 450/BF and was blown away by the difference between the two. The 450's dig deeper and hit much harder than the SLS' as well as having much greater clarity, detail, soundstage depth and with. Bigfoot has impact that the CS could only dream about. Dialog is crystal clear and centered. It is incredibly lifelike vs the CS that sounds good, but lacks the depth/impact/clarity that BF provides.

That's a quick and very dirty version but I haven't had that setup for over a year now so my memory definitely isn't remembering all of the differences.

IMHO (and now that I'm not with AV123 anymore my opinion slightly matters again) it is an upgrade WELL worth it that you will not regret!

Scott

Thanks Scott. I had forgotten that you had 450's and the Bigfoot. You are one cool cat and thanks for the perspective.
post #750 of 1724 Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone View Post

neekos-
Can you expand on your comments a bit more? I am really interested in the possibility of buying the 450's package and would love to know how they differ from the X's.

You get more dynamics with the 450's as well as the incredible RSC200 which is one of the best center's I've heard so far. The X series and even the Encores are OK but are no match for the Rockets in every sense.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page