Official AV123/Onix Owners Thread: TECHNICAL TALK ONLY - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1741 of 1753 Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ELT LRS tweeter

Also seems a kids finger or toy found one of the tweeters. Any info on where to get a replacement for the ELT LRS bookshelf would be appreciated. I tried the vacuum cleaner trick but with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1753 Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Also seems a kids finger or toy found one of the tweeters. Any info on where to get a replacement for the ELT LRS bookshelf would be appreciated. I tried the vacuum cleaner trick but with no luck.
Followup on the tweeter dent: pulled it out with Scotch tape. Doesn't look bad. Probably affects the sound in some way I'll never be able to hear.

No luck on the amps. Both failed the same way. Driving me nuts.
post #1743 of 1753 Old 10-04-2015, 05:07 PM

ELT PB/S amp update

Don't know if I found THE trouble with the amp, but definitely found a problem. Will record it here in case it helps anyone else. I studied the amp today. Its a class AB. All BJTs, no FETs. I checked diode junctions on all diodes and transistors. Finally got to Q21 (2SC2383) and Q22 (2SA1013). Emitter/base junctions on both tested bad in circuit. I pulled them and sure enough, the E/B junctions are blown. I don't know enough about the circuit to say what part that controlled, but I don't think they are in the main power path. I'm going to order some replacement parts. Will report back with results. Hopefully this will solve the problem with both amps, since they both behave the same right now.
post #1744 of 1753 Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM

Here's the followup:

I fixed my amps. I was mistaken in my last update. Q21 and Q22 were fine. They don't have the same pinout as a TO92 package.

This design has two main dual supplies: +/-45V and +/-15V. There are 17 electrolytic capacitors in the design. They are rated at 50V or 16V. That is a poor design practice. There is almost no margin, and that means a short lifetime for the caps. A number of those caps are in the signal path.

I replaced all 16V caps with equivalent sizes and 25V ratings. I replaced all 50V caps with equivalent sizes and 100V ratings. The exceptions were the two 6800uF, 50V caps, which I replaced with 6800uF, 63V caps.

I don't know what caps were bad, but the amps both work again. As as added benefit, I spent several hours, tracing out the entire circuit, or close to it. So it will be easier to debug next time.
post #1745 of 1753 Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Has anyone experienced smoke coming out of their Rockets? Funny as it sounds, I was just pushing my rs 450's very hard. I happened to smell some burning. Thought it was my new ONK reciever, but it turned out to be BOTH mt rs 450's. Had some smoke coming out of the ports. They still sound fine, But i am curious as to what might have happened? Ideas? Maybe the crossovers overheating? That possible?
post #1746 of 1753 Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
Has anyone experienced smoke coming out of their Rockets? Funny as it sounds, I was just pushing my rs 450's very hard. I happened to smell some burning. Thought it was my new ONK reciever, but it turned out to be BOTH mt rs 450's. Had some smoke coming out of the ports. They still sound fine, But i am curious as to what might have happened? Ideas? Maybe the crossovers overheating? That possible?
Apparently it was my tweeters. They still sound fine, but I might just replace them with new ones. The stink is horrible!
post #1747 of 1753 Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
RS850 replacement speakers ?

Anyone have any RS850 parts to part out? I have blown speaker that I need to replace.

OR

I see several onix speakers on ebay(but no 850's)....that i could buy for parts though I am not sure which one matches with my blown speaker on my RS850 (its the second speak from bottom that is blown)

Any suggestion/guidance on the best replacement speakers that I can drop in?

Thanks in adv

Last edited by Paradox-SJ; 11-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #1748 of 1753 Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post
Anyone have any RS850 parts to part out? I have blown speaker that I need to replace.

OR

I see several onix speakers on ebay(but no 850's)....that i could buy for parts though I am not sure which one matches with my blown speaker on my RS850 (its the second speak from bottom that is blown)

Thanks in adv
Look on Parts Express. I don't remember anymore which driver it is but PE has all of the Peerless/Vifa/etc drivers that came in the Onix speakers
post #1749 of 1753 Old 11-25-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:

OR

Thanks in adv
Check Parts Express. I believe that Peerless made those drivers for AV123. You'll have to pull the driver and see. If it's not something they carry they also recone/rebuild drivers so that may also be an option.
post #1750 of 1753 Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 AM

Check Parts Express. I believe that Peerless made those drivers for AV123. You'll have to pull the driver and see. If it's not something they carry they also recone/rebuild drivers so that may also be an option.
post #1751 of 1753 Old 12-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
All 4 of the drivers are the same and those and the mid were basically exact copies of the HiVi drivers with Vifa tweeters

you want the MxN series stuff where the x=driver size needed

This stands true for the 850/1000 the 750 and bigfoot. Some of the others used some strange impedance voice coils like 6 or 12 ohm in the 760 and 550's no easy fix for those

Quote:

OR

Thanks in adv

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #1752 of 1753 Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I have one sub acting up in my RS850s. Are you saying put the HiVi M5N from parts express in? All I see on the woofer/midrange is "8 Ohm"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
All 4 of the drivers are the same and those and the mid were basically exact copies of the HiVi drivers with Vifa tweeters

you want the MxN series stuff where the x=driver size needed

This stands true for the 850/1000 the 750 and bigfoot. Some of the others used some strange impedance voice coils like 6 or 12 ohm in the 760 and 550's no easy fix for those
post #1753 of 1753 Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yep

just the cone color wont be right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikemiller View Post
So I have one sub acting up in my RS850s. Are you saying put the HiVi M5N from parts express in? All I see on the woofer/midrange is "8 Ohm"

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page