AVS Forum banner

Official AV123/Onix Owners Thread: TECHNICAL TALK ONLY

256K views 2K replies 421 participants last post by  Just Nick 
#1 ·
AV123 (also referred to as Onix) is an Internet Direct company that engineers and manufactures their own loudspeakers. They currently have 4 levels of loud speakers which include: X-Series, Rocket Series, Reference Series, and the Mini Strata Series. Once you buy a product from AV123, you automatically become part of the family. This means that on your next AV123 purchase, you are automatically eligible for a special discountthe Family price.

First and foremost, the idea of this thread is to share your experience as an Onix customer or ask questions about Onix products. Please be respectful and mindful of other people's opinions, even if they do not agree with your own. Now that we got that out of the way, let us know what you got and post plenty of picture if you can!!!

X-Series

[URL='http:/images_dynamic/brands/thumb_55.jpg%5B/IMG']http://www.**********/images_dynamic/brands/thumb_55.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]

Rocket Series

[IMG] [URL='http:/images_dynamic/gallery/speakers_90_5.jpg%5B/IMG']http://www.**********/images_dynamic/gallery/speakers_90_5.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]

Reference Series

[IMG] [URL='http:/images_dynamic/speakers_38.jpg%5B/IMG']http://www.**********/images_dynamic/speakers_38.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]

Strata Mini Series

[IMG] [URL='http:/images_dynamic/gallery/speakers_104_6.jpg%5B/IMG']http://www.**********/images_dynamic/gallery/speakers_104_6.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb /forum/post/0

Thats great,this thread was a great idea,I started to do it but you beat me to it.

I loved your review of the RS450s... we should make you our official Onix Ambassador of AVSforums. Do you have any pics of your setup? What wire gauge would you recommend for the RS450s no more than 10ft away?

Also, has anyone heard the difference between an RSC100 and RSC100 MKII. There's one in the classified and I keeps calling my name. I'm trying my hardest to wait for an MKII to show up, but nothing beats instant gratification. The RSC100 could serve to hold me off until I can get the Bigfoot.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 /forum/post/0

I loved your review of the RS450s... we should make you our official Onix Ambassador of AVSforums. Do you have any pics of your setup? What wire gauge would you recommend for the RS450s no more than 10ft away?

Also, has anyone heard the difference between an RSC100 and RSC100 MKII. There's one in the classified and I keeps calling my name. I'm trying my hardest to wait for an MKII to show up, but nothing beats instant gratification. The RSC100 could serve to hold me off until I can get the Bigfoot.

The Center's you may need someone has experiance with them,since you started this thread,the av123 people will start coming here more.14g is fine for the 450's it will work very well with them,how much do you plan to spend on cables?

#5 ·

Quote:

The Center's you may need someone has experiance with them,since you started this thread,the av123 people will start coming here more.14g is fine for the 450's it will work very well with them,how much do you plan to spend on cables?

i'm a non-believer in cables... i used to be a car audiophile and from my experience, gauge, distance, aesthetics, and money are my primary factors for choosing cable. that being said, i'm thinking about running my speakers wires behind my walls, so i'm probably going to use some type of Romex grade speaker wire if it exists. i have no clue how much it costs at Home Depot or Lowes, so we'll see.

i did buy 25ft of component, DVI, and S Video at monoprice for a steal! however, they didn't have any speaker wire or banana plugs in stock?! go figure.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 /forum/post/0

i'm a non-believer in cables... i used to be a car audiophile and from my experience, gauge, distance, aesthetics, and money are my primary factors for choosing cable. that being said, i'm thinking about running my speakers wires behind my walls, so i'm probably going to use some type of Romex grade speaker wire if it exists. i have no clue how much it costs at Home Depot or Lowes, so we'll see.

i did buy 25ft of component, DVI, and S Video at monoprice for a steal! however, they didn't have any speaker wire or banana plugs in stock?! go figure.

Thats cool,me my self im a very big believer in better cables,but your upstream componets has to be resolving enough to tell the difference,im kinda into car stereo's to but it's a huge difference in fidelty and setup and resolving power with a good home system.

#8 ·
i may not totally fit in here as i use different speakers. but, i just received my first x-sub friday and love it and i am on the preorder list for a second x-sub for my room when they arrive in march.

fantastic little sub and great people over there. i will definitely use them as my needs grow in the future.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus /forum/post/0

i may not totally fit in here as i use different speakers. but, i just received my first x-sub friday and love it and i am on the preorder list for a second x-sub for my room when they arrive in march.

fantastic little sub and great people over there. i will definitely use them as my needs grow in the future.

Hey,your welcome here,it wont be long before you get some speakers
the X-subs are very nice though very musical.

#12 ·
Count me in as a very proud Strata Mini owner! :)

#13 ·

Quote:

Hey,your welcome here,it wont be long before you get some speakers
the X-subs are very nice though very musical.

thanks for the welcome. i still love my missions (call me crazy. i grew up on them. half of my family is from britain and they rekindle fond memories)...

but, i absolutely love my x-sub. it is very musical but, in my small-ish viewing area it packs some good punch in HT too. which is why i chose it -for it's size and the fact that it is MUCH more than a boomy mushy bass box hidden in the corner. can't wait to get the second one next month.

once we purchase our new home and have a larger viewing area- i will be torn between upgrading to nicer missions or some speakers from av123...

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus /forum/post/0

thanks for the welcome. i still love my missions (call me crazy. i grew up on them. half of my family is from britain and they rekindle fond memories)...

but, i absolutely love my x-sub. it is very musical but, in my small-ish viewing area it packs some good punch in HT too. which is why i chose it -for it's size and the fact that it is MUCH more than a boomy mushy bass box hidden in the corner. can't wait to get the second one next month.

once we purchase our new home and have a larger viewing area- i will be torn between upgrading to nicer missions or some speakers from av123...

Hey,and i still love my Wharfedales and all the current ones and I like Mission's to they were the 1st speaker I ever sold when I 1st started working retail.

#16 ·
I just received my Ref 1's last Friday. I have been breaking them in this week, and need to focus on placement/stands/treatments soon. Any recommendations for stands?

I am waiting on some replacement tweeters to put a pair of Wharfedale Evo 30's back together. I'm curious to see how they compare to the Ref 1's.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0

My Onix Ref 1s are coming tomorrow. They are almost there, must have checked UPS package tracking web site hundreds of time since last week to see their progress ...

Will post back when I have them connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastig21 /forum/post/0

I just received my Ref 1's last Friday. I have been breaking them in this week, and need to focus on placement/stands/treatments soon. Any recommendations for stands?

I am waiting on some replacement tweeters to put a pair of Wharfedale Evo 30's back together. I'm curious to see how they compare to the Ref 1's.

Connect those badboys as soon as possible. I am about to pull the trigger on those same speakers because of the huge sale on them right now.

I would love to hear your impressions on them, especially when it comes to movie and TV on DVD watching (if you have any)

I plan on using an Onkyo 504 to drive them for a year or so.

#19 ·
Everyone should post their equipment the first time they post on this particular thread. I think that's what most of the other equipment specific threads do.

850s

200 all in ebony

300s

ufw-12--- piano black

I have some 450s in ebony that were delivered 2 days ago. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with those yet. Just wanted to snag some of the last ebony stuff. Could use them for 2 channel when I build a new house but those damn Minis are beasts from what I hear.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastig21 /forum/post/0

I'm currently driving the Ref's with a Yamaha HTR-5960 receiver. For 2 channel, how much would these speaker benefit from a separate (more powerful) amp?

A bunch the SP-3 is on sale for $600 right now it mates very well with the Ref 1s and its stunning looking to boot,it will take the Ref 1s to a whole new level.

#21 ·
Thank you so very much for doing this EazyM3

Nice to see an owners thread here again...

Most humbly...

mark

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanya /forum/post/0

Everyone should post their equipment the first time they post on this particular thread. I think that's what most of the other equipment specific threads do.

850s

200 all in ebony

300s

ufw-12--- piano black

I have some 450s in ebony that were delivered 2 days ago. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with those yet. Just wanted to snag some of the last ebony stuff. Could use them for 2 channel when I build a new house but those damn Minis are beasts from what I hear.

Hey,you have a very impressive collection.

#23 ·

Quote:

A bunch the SP-3 is on sale for $600 right now it mates very well with the Ref 1s and its stunning looking to boot,it will take the Ref 1s to a whole new level.

You lucky guy! Let me know how the SP3 plays with the Mini compared to a regular avr receiver. :)

Have you seen the Onix H6550 on sale at av123...that thing looks stunning too!

Regards

#25 ·
I dont want to know cause I wont be able to afford it anyway! Thats why I never buy perfomance car magazines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.