post #271 of 505 Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post

Hi
I bought the Canton Ergo 690DC and 655 speakers just over a week ago and I have been trying to place them to get optimal sound. I had a Klipsch RF-82/RC62 speaker ...
Thanks

I'm curious, how would you compare Klipsch and Cantons....thanx.

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 505 Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
I can give you my impression when I switched. My KLF-20's had more slam and more bottom end. The Canton's were more articulate in the mid-range which was nice because it allowed me to hear more instruments. The Canton's made many recordings I thought were recorded well, sound inferior. This was more apparent on some of the multichannel recordings specifically, the Tom Petty Damn the Torpedos Even the Losers. The low tom drum is so much more prominent.

However, for loud music listening of Metallica Black Album on DVD-A sounds better on the Klipsch speakers.

Since I only have room for one set currently, I have the Cantons. I like the increased clarity and willing to give up some of the slam factor.

----------------
post #273 of 505 Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasto View Post

I'm curious, how would you compare Klipsch and Cantons....thanx.

To say the truth, on day one when I replaced the klipsch with Canton I was disappointed. I felt like it was lacking lows and highs. Then I just let it play in normal volume for close to 24 hrs (over 3 days with at least 8hrs/day) and then the Cantons started opening up. The mids were amazingly clear and lows were better. When it reached around 40hrs that is when I re-calibrated the entire system using Audyssey. After that I do not miss klipsch that much. As I have a good sub the bass is covered easily by that but the cantons are pretty good in that also. The only thing I do different is setting the volume around 5 clicks louder than what I used to set for Klipsch. I think that is due to the sensitivity difference between the two.

Over the weekend I watched "Hanna", and "Super 8", and the effects were amazing. I did not feel the highs were harsh but more clear, the bass capability of the cantons complemented my pb13 svs sub really well. Overall, I am a happy camper and ready to sell my Klpisch RF-82/RC62 . My suggestion is to let it break in, reconfigure and rearrange the speaker positions to find the proper set up. Then it is pretty good.

Note: Oh regarding the Center ergo 655, I am little disappointed as it was much more harder to place it than the floor standers. This speaker need to be a lot higher and closer to the ear level than my Klipsch RC62. I had room to move it up without keeping it behind the screen and was able to get significant sound quality improvement. It took some time to get to that though. Till now I have been listening from the sweet spot but need to test whether it works well from other seating locations also. Anyway, just wanted to highlight that also.

I hope this helps. Just for FYI here is the overview of my set up.

Ergo 690 - L and R
Ergo 655 - C
Klipsch RS52 - LS,RS,LBS,RBS
SVS PB13 Ultra - Sub

All these driven by, Onkyo 3007 with the front 3 speakers driven by Emotiva XPA-3.
post #274 of 505 Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM

bump!

hello, i just joined the club with some chrono 509s in beautiful silver. they are powered by my harman/kardon hk3490 receiver.

im looking forward to compliment them with the AS 525 SC sub.

im still getting used to how amazingly they reproduce music. i thought i couldn't be surprised as i have been using some nice headphones over the last year (AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD650s)

to me they sound bright/sharp and very vivid.
post #275 of 505 Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

tron1974
gskinusa

thank you for sharing your experiences with Klipsch vs.Canton. I never heard any of Klipsch's, but their RF 7 II impressed me much by reviews. Their design in cherry veneer is very nice, they are quite huge and the dynamic they produce must be great.
But anyway, I'm still Canton lover . My Ventos 807's stay at home, I'm 2-chann. amplifier seeker. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time ( and money) to visit distributors of some brands I'm interested in.

My old tips - NAD M3, Audionet SAM V2, Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 are expensive at this moment.

My next hot tips are:

- Anthem 225

- Musical Fidelity M3i - beautiful amp. and reviews say, that sound is great as well - http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...es/M3i/m3i.asp

- T+A E-Series Power Plant - german brand - http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index...ebgruppe=12&L=

- Quadral Aurum A5 or A3, great amplifiers, might be, best sounding together with Quadral speakers. http://www.aurumspeakers.com/157-AUR...tml#contenttop

- TEAC Distinction Al 1000 - http://www.teac.eu/cz/hifi-audio/dis...eries/ai-1000/

- Cambridge Audio 840A V2

- Rotel RA 1520

-----------------------------------------

navii

welcome to club. Glad you enjoy the Cantons, if you'd like to get softer sound, may be consider to replace Harman, but that's just my feeling.

post #276 of 505 Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM

Canton owner here, but in car audio. I have been running the Canton QS 2.160 components in my truck for the last 4 or 5 years. love them. Have never heard the home audio lines but wouldn't be opposed to trying them out.
post #277 of 505 Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 AM

post #278 of 505 Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 AM

Hi all,
I'm new to the club but not to Canton. I love my cherry finish Ergo 22DC's and CM52 which are several years old. I'm looking to add floor standers for fronts, and move the 22's to the rear. I'm interested in the 690's, but would love to happen upon an older pair of cherry 90's so my drivers and finishes are of the same vintage. Yes, sound is the most important, but so is the look as I built my room decor around the cherry finish of the 22's and 52.

Any idea where I might look or who to talk to in my quest? I'm in Minneapolis where the US Canton distributor is located, but I doubt they have an old pair laying around looking for a home.

Thanks ... Rick
post #279 of 505 Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM

I've replaced my older Canton with Canton Vento and are better sounding than the Canton Ergo they replaced. However, the Vento floor stander is only a 2 1/5-way speaker using 6" woofers and have less slam, but I use subwoofer so it is not a big issue.

Canton Vento 870.2 (floor stander)
Canton Vento 820 (bookshelf)
Canton Vento 858.2 (center speaker)
post #280 of 505 Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Rickaroo,

welcome to the club and good luck to your quest, I' can't help you, I live in Europe.

allsop4now,

I believe your 870.2's are step improved than mine 807's...and does sub make such big slam? I supposed only bigger bass size, ...but I never used one.

--------------------------------------------------

Some of my new nightly pics after shelves and carpet completing...

post #281 of 505 Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

allsop4now,

I believe your 870.2's are step improved than mine 807's...and does sub make such big slam? I supposed only bigger bass size, ...but I never used one.

The woofers are smaller in Vento 870.2 (6 inch) than in your Vento 807 (7 inch). The older Ergo 702 (dual 7 inch woofers, 2.5 halfway) plays bass with more authority than the 870.2, and I guess yours does too.

My subwoofer (crossover at 80 Hz), along with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, greatly improves the sound quality when listening to music and watching movies. Most of the music I listen to is multi-channel SACD.

I bought smaller floor standers with intention to use a subwoofer and equalization, even when listening to music, thus in my small room I do not need large floor standers. However, I ordered the Vento 870 and got the Vento 870.2 and was surprised *) that it has gotten smaller woofers.... Sounds good, though.

Btw, your living room looks very nice.

*) The Canton site specs for 870.2 is almost all wrong be it size of woofers, sensitivity, size of cabinet...
post #282 of 505 Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsop4now View Post

The woofers are smaller in Vento 870.2 (6 inch) than in your Vento 807 (7 inch). The older Ergo 702 (dual 7 inch woofers, 2.5 halfway) plays bass with more authority than the 870.2, and I guess yours does too.

My subwoofer (crossover at 80 Hz), along with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, greatly improves the sound quality when listening to music and watching movies. Most of the music I listen to is multi-channel SACD.

I bought smaller floor standers with intention to use a subwoofer and equalization, even when listening to music, thus in my small room I do not need large floor standers. However, I ordered the Vento 870 and got the Vento 870.2 and was surprised *) that it has gotten smaller woofers.... Sounds good, though.

Btw, your living room looks very nice.

*) The Canton site specs for 870.2 is almost all wrong be it size of woofers, sensitivity, size of cabinet...

our tracks are the same, I hade Ergo 700DC before...ok, regarding woofers, I'll go bail that my 807 has the same measurements. I remember once I measured the woofers and doubt they are 7"...I'll measure it again. Sure, the weight is about 20kg, not 23...

...about living room, thanx, I'm trying to improve acoustic conditions, I'm considering the make some acoustic panels to install on longitudinal wall...room is connected with kitchen, it's quite big...I'll take some other pics...

post #283 of 505 Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

...about living room, thanx, I'm trying to improve acoustic conditions, I'm considering the make some acoustic panels to install on longitudinal wall...room is connected with kitchen, it's quite big...I'll take some other pics...

I do not think my wife will accept room treatments, and I tried to broach the subject a few years ago with little success.

The Audyssey MultEQ XT really help, even when listening to stereo material, and it will have to do for now. The MultEQ XT32 have far better resolution even on the satellites and I must admit that I regret skimping on the receiver on this. The old receiver used the 2EQ and was of very little use for me.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq
post #284 of 505 Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Wow. I am glad I stopped in here and discovered the Canton Owner's Club! I love my Cantons ever since I purchased my first set in 1985. (CT-800s) I wish I could have participated in some of the earlier discussions here.

I have since purchased Ergo 122DCs, Ergo 32 DC, and an Ergo CM 52 DC.

Now to the issue that had me discover the Canton's Owner Club in the first place. . . .

There is no sound coming from the woofer of one of my CT-800s. The immediate assumption is that the woofer is broken. However, after a bit of thought I realize that there could issues elsewhere like with the crossover or something else. Is this possible? Does that make sense?

What would be the best course of action? I have read that Canton does not have replacement woofers appropriate for this speaker.

Also, it looks like the only way into the speaker is to unscrew the woofer and pull out from the front of the speaker. Is that correct?

TIA!
Wayne
post #285 of 505 Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post

Wow. I am glad I stopped in here and discovered the Canton Owner's Club! I love my Cantons ever since I purchased my first set in 1985. (CT-800s) I wish I could have participated in some of the earlier discussions here.

I have since purchased Ergo 122DCs, Ergo 32 DC, and an Ergo CM 52 DC.

Now to the issue that had me discover the Canton's Owner Club in the first place. . . .

There is no sound coming from the woofer of one of my CT-800s. The immediate assumption is that the woofer is broken. However, after a bit of thought I realize that there could issues elsewhere like with the crossover or something else. Is this possible? Does that make sense?

What would be the best course of action? I have read that Canton does not have replacement woofers appropriate for this speaker.

Also, it looks like the only way into the speaker is to unscrew the woofer and pull out from the front of the speaker. Is that correct?

TIA!
Wayne

I don't know if they would still have parts or not, but have you contacted Cantonusa.com? What they don't stock here, they order from Germany. I have no idea if their parts stock goes back that far. Give them a call.
post #286 of 505 Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

I don't know if they would still have parts or not, but have you contacted Cantonusa.com? What they don't stock here, they order from Germany. I have no idea if their parts stock goes back that far. Give them a call.

I will contact them and double check.

I read elsewhere that they no longer produce this speaker. They have switched to bass reflex type design and no longer support the older product lines.
post #287 of 505 Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM

This is a great thread! It's very hard to find any information, especially on older canton models. I just recently got my canton setup:

Canton Karat M30DC bookshelves on the Canton stands for my front left and right.
Canton Karat CS-4 center channel
Canton Karat AS 200 SC for the sub (all in silver finish)
Polk OWM3 for the surrounds (in white) which are ceiling mounted facing downward
Denon AVR-2112ci
Sony PS3
LG 55" 1080P LED 3D Passive Technology

I must say that I am LOVING this setup. The sound is incredible when using the Audessey MultiEQ with the Dolby TrueHD for movies. The 3D and incredible sound really makes you feel in the movie. I will say that I'll never go back to cheap speakers again. I got my whole canton set for $700 used on Craigslist and they are in MINT condition. I am proud to be a new, happy Canton owner.
post #288 of 505 Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I first posted on this thread 4 years ago.

Glad to see there are still people who appreciate the open "clear" sound of Canton.

I just finished my 5 mains.

Mains - Ergo 70 DC - Oak - First gen - about 1994 - 18 years old.
Center - Ergo 655 CM - black - Sixth gen
Surrounds - Ergo 610 DC - Black - current Seventh Gen

The Canton Ergo line, in it's current form, has been around for 22 years and seven generations. My first generation look a great deal like to my newest Ergo. Average Joe probably would have a hard time telling the diff. And although, the "basic" design has changed little, Canton has made continuous improvements. No need for complete redesigns. Just gradual upgrades. But they HAVE been SIGNIFICANT. The 655CM is a few notches better than the old 70's in all areas. Makes me want to update my mains.

I just replaced my Mid-woofer driver on a 70 at the Canton US headquarters here in the Twin Cities. Great guys. In and out for a little over a hundred / no labor charge.

By the way. Anyone compared/listened to/owned either the Sub 12 or 10?

I don't need a Sub with lots of features since Anthem ARC will take care of all that itself.

Also, what's the opinion of the ceramic tweeters?

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #289 of 505 Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM

My first encounter with Canton was in 1979 when I walked into a stereo shop in Santa Barbara, CA. The place was all blond wood and European and I was sure that I was going to pay too much. My entire knowledge of audio at the time was confined to Radio Shack.

I bought a pair of GLE 40 (40 watts) in dark walnut. I have forgotten what I paid, but after years of use including some mild abuse, they are still working in the back room (a kind of small library and work space), hooked up to a Realistic STA-111 that I bought in 1982.

For a few years the GLE-40s were matched with a 48-watt Onkyo TX-8210 and Boston PV500 subwoofer in the living room. In 2009 I replaced them with GLE 403s on sale by Accessories4Less just as the new GLE430 was being introduced. The GLE 40s went to the back room and I later added an AS 22 SC subwoofer there. I am currently considering a more powerful amp for the living room.

The GLE 40 is so old that it has never appeared in any web search I have done. Mine are still going strong.
post #290 of 505 Old 05-27-2012, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a chance to witness a shoot out today of the Canton Vento 820.2 and the Monitor Audio GX 100 which is a bigger speaker. While the MA is a very good speaker, I thought as well as the others who where there, thought the 820.2's where better. The smaller Canton has the ceramic tweeter handed down from the Reference line. The tweeter has been toned down and there is no hint or trace of any bright edginess whatsoever. The tweeter is nice and smooth with lots of air and detail. It will rival any Beryllium tweeter. The Cantons also have an updated crossover. And the bass was unbelievable in this small speaker. Its only 11.8 inches tall. They where the black gloss ones. The Vento 820.2 is a 3D and may I add holographic speaker. This speaker has technology and engineering that you wont find in the Harbeths, Spendors or Devores who source out their drivers and crossovers and cost much more for a speaker of this size. I've listened to Devore and Harbeths and they did not produce the quality of sound that the Cantons where able to produce. In fact Canton 820.2's where so good, I ordered a pair of the next size up, the Canton Vento 830.2's in high gloss Cherry wood.

If you are looking for a new set of speakers....do your self a favor and take a listen to the Canton Vento series of speakers and you will walk away saying they are some of the best speakers you have ever heard.
post #291 of 505 Old 05-27-2012, 04:25 AM

The worst thing about these speakers is the name. I had people that listened to my Fonum 400's and loved them. Then when you tell them that the speakers are Canton they think the speakers are some crap from china.
post #292 of 505 Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Got my new Canton 830.2's from dealer today. I have them on the stands and just listened to Diana Krall. Right out of box they have much more bass detail and also carries more weight than my previous Canton's. The 830.2's have let me see what my system really can do. I would say about 2 hours on them towards brake in. I wont push them as they require low to slightly mid level on the volume...Break in is finished at 20 hours per Canton, but could be more. The 2M Black is truely a very special cart that I now understand was limited with the other speakers. Right out box, the speakers have a very lovely mid section with tons of detail....rich and warm sounding and a perfect match with tubes. It is truly lush in the mids. As said before bass notes are full, but not over powering. No smear in any of the bass notes no roll off and good weight, but nicely detail and very natural sounding. Now the tweeter is very special indeed. Canton took the tweeter out of their Reference line...which has the top speaker costing $35000 a pair and dropped it into the Vento line. Its that same ceramic dome tweeter technology and dome geometry of the Reference line. This tweeter is truly world class and features very extended frequency response, wide dispersion characteristics and high power handling. It's just an incredibly smooth tweeter. No distortion or edge or pollution is heard whatsoever. And with Cantons wave guide technology, muisc just extends further in the room...a few pic minus the magnetized grills. These pictures do nothing for the beauty of the high gloss Cherry wood.

[img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

post #293 of 505 Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM

In the last couple of weeks I have bought Canton Fonum 630 floorstanding speakers and a McIntosh MAC 4100 receiver for the living room. Initially I tried the 630 speakers without a subwoofer. With its five-way equalization the MAC 4100's output through these speakers was very nice. Then I hooked up a Boston Acoustics subwoofer that had been used with the previous setup. As that subwoofer's instructions indicate, I connected the subwoofer to the second set of speaker outputs on the receiver. Built around 1980, the MAC 4100 lacks a subwoofer output.

Thinking about the importance of matching speaker "voices," I then pulled a Canton AS 22 SC sub from the back room and swapped it for the Boston sub. The instructions for the AS 22 SC state that if the receiver lacks a subwoofer output then the sub must be connected using one of the regular speaker outputs, then the front speakers must be connected to the speaker outputs of the AS 22 SC.

The Canton sub sounds better than the Boston sub with my Canton front speakers. With the Boston sub there was an occasional boominess to the base. I am not sure this was coming from the sub, or was due to the fact that the front speakers were receiving the full range of frequencies given that they were connected directly to the receiver. Whatever the source, it's gone.

On the other hand, the output of the front speakers themselves is slightly degraded--less subtle, with less presence than when they were connected directly to the MAC 4100. I am guessing that this is because the sub is taking an amplified signal from the receiver, processing it at line level, then amplifying it again before it sends it on to the front speakers.

Questions:

Is the Canton sub passing on an unfiltered, full-frequency signal to the front-speakers, or does it cut some of the lower frequencies?

Do I have the option of connecting the front speakers and the AS 22 SC to separate speaker outputs on the receiver, as I did with the previous setup? I assume that the occasional boominess may return, but it ought to be possible to control it using the receiver while using the sub to reinforce the bass.
post #294 of 505 Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM

If you have the speaker cable going from the receiver to the sub and from the sub to the speaker, then all that should be passed from the speakers is what you have set above your crossover on the sub, with everything below the crossover going to the sub.
post #295 of 505 Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 AM

The following is excerpted from http://.www.crutchfield.com/S-B8SuSFKsApC/learn/hometheater/subwoofer/connect.html

"If you have an older receiver and subwoofer combination that doesn't offer an LFE connection, then you can also use speaker-level inputs. They also bypass the receiver's built-in crossover and send an amplified signal to your subwoofer. Just hook up your sub from your receiver's front left and right speaker outputs using ordinary speaker cable. This will be a full-frequency signal, but the sub's built-in filter will block the higher frequencies. Then, connect your stereo speakers via the subwoofer's speaker-level outputs. Your sub will pass on the unfiltered, full-frequency signal. If your sub does not have speaker-level outputs, you can wire the sub and stereo speakers in parallel using your receiver's speaker terminals."

This suggests that the sub filters out what it does not need for its own operation but sends the full range of frequencies to the front speakers. Based on reading the Canton AS 22 SC instructions, though, I suspect that rantzmar is correct: the Canton sub sends to the front speakers only those frequencies exceeding the crossover point. So far we have been talking about using the receiver's speaker-level output. In the event that the receiver has line-level outputs and inputs, Canton recommends connecting the receiver's line-level output to the sub's line-level input, then connecting the sub's line-level output to the receiver's line-level input. It would not make sense to send a full-frequency signal back to the receiver, which already has it. I suspect that the signal that goes back to the receiver has been stripped of its lower frequencies. By inference, the same may be true of the signal that the sub sends to the speakers. I am hoping that someone familiar with the AS 22 SC, or with Canton's typical practice, can confirm.
post #296 of 505 Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

hi folks,

ooh, that's long time I wasn't here and it's great to see YOUR satisfaction with the different models of Cantons.

rantzmar (frenchmon :-) ), my friend, I always told you..look up for he higher models of Canton :-), I know that for some while you owned some other speakers, but anyway- welcome back and thanks for dealing with your experiences with new Vento 830.2 and review, test and comparison. Those boxes look awesome, I know it, nice photos, but they are not sufficient.

Now you hear that Ventons are quite smooth and they are capable to play with live amplifier. What is rest of setup chain? Which amplifiers? Did you try any other ?

dean- l, super, that you wrote us here again, I will write my opinion about ceramic tweeters later on. No experience with sub.

I have no novelties in my setup, still want to buy different amplifier, but...you know..bucks....
Just have the new experiences with older NAD 317 together with my Ventos 807...and I tell you, sound better than with my NAD 160+216 combination.

Step by step I'm improving my room-acoustic, but still nothing special.

Please see some mu new photos and gallery:

Canton_Vento_807DC_promo.jpg

post #297 of 505 Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasto View Post

hi folks,
ooh, that's long time I wasn't here and it's great to see YOUR satisfaction with the different models of Cantons.
rantzmar (frenchmon :-) ), my friend, I always told you..look up for he higher models of Canton :-), I know that for some while you owned some other speakers, but anyway- welcome back and thanks for dealing with your experiences with new Vento 830.2 and review, test and comparison. Those boxes look awesome, I know it, nice photos, but they are not sufficient.
Now you hear that Ventons are quite smooth and they are capable to play with live amplifier. What is rest of setup chain? Which amplifiers? Did you try any other ?
dean- l, super, that you wrote us here again, I will write my opinion about ceramic tweeters later on. No experience with sub.
I have no novelties in my setup, still want to buy different amplifier, but...you know..bucks....
Just have the new experiences with older NAD 317 together with my Ventos 807...and I tell you, sound better than with my NAD 160+216 combination.
Step by step I'm improving my room-acoustic, but still nothing special.
Please see some mu new photos and gallery:
Canton_Vento_807DC_promo.jpg

Hey Vlasto my friend! What do you mean they are not sufficient? And I think you are selling yourself short by not getting a better amp than the NAD....those Vento's out class the NAD by a long shot. The Vento 807DC was introduced in 2005 and cost $3500 a pair. That NAD only cost $749. You will never get the performance out of those speakers with that amp. And you have those aluminum-manganese tweeters. You will do good by getting a warmer amp to tune down the tweeter just a bit. You would be better by getting tubes are a nice SS amp thats warmer in nature like a very good Classe amp that has a warmer nature. Those are some very good speakers but you can not continue to try to drive them with those mid fi amps. That is one reason I am looking for another amp...my Vento's simply out class the Rotel. You are selling yourself short with mid fi amps. I listened to those same speakers with some Theta Digital amps and the sound was out standing! Also look at Wired 4 Sound digital amps...the price is right for a pair of mono blocks. You will be better served with them than a NAD. http://www.wyred4sound.com/ And if you like NAD...get something out of the Master Series http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series
post #298 of 505 Old 06-18-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzmar View Post

Hey Vlasto my friend! What do you mean they are not sufficient? And I think you are selling yourself short by not getting a better amp than the NAD....those Vento's out class the NAD by a long shot. The Vento 807DC was introduced in 2005 and cost $3500 a pair. That NAD only cost $749. You will never get the performance out of those speakers with that amp. And you have those aluminum-manganese tweeters. You will do good by getting a warmer amp to tune down the tweeter just a bit. You would be better by getting tubes are a nice SS amp thats warmer in nature like a very good Classe amp that has a warmer nature. Those are some very good speakers but you can not continue to try to drive them with those mid fi amps. That is one reason I am looking for another amp...my Vento's simply out class the Rotel. You are selling yourself short with mid fi amps. I listened to those same speakers with some Theta Digital amps and the sound was out standing! Also look at Wired 4 Sound digital amps...the price is right for a pair of mono blocks. You will be better served with them than a NAD. http://www.wyred4sound.com/ And if you like NAD...get something out of the Master Series http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series

sorry about the wrong expression, but I meant, that PHOTOS are not sufficient to show the real prettiness of your Cantons.
We talked about the amplifiers at audioreview.com, just to mention here, that http://www.wyred4sound.com/ is one of those brands available only in US market... :-(

post #299 of 505 Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 AM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the GLE 470 vs 490 (and their .2 counterparts). The .2 is just the newer version, right? And thus not a substantial difference, or am I wrong in thinking that?
It's because this is the pricing around here and it's somewhat confusing me, especially the 470 and 490 having the same price...?

Prices in Swedish kronor, converted to USD for your convenience smile.gif
Canton GLE 470: 4990 SEK (715$)
Canton GLE 470.2: 5990 SEK (860$)

Canton GLE 490: 4990 SEK (715$)
Canton GLE 490.2: 6990 SEK (1000$)

Thank you for explaining!
post #300 of 505 Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM

http://www.canton.de/en/hifi/serie/gleserie.htm

The.2 is the newer models. There is not a major change...maybe more like a tweak
Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page