Canton owner's 'club' - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 505 Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sounds like you are having fun. get your self some good interconnects and speaker cable and your system will go up a notch or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 505 Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzmar View Post

Sounds like you are having fun. get your self some good interconnects and speaker cable and your system will go up a notch or two.

You bet, Rantzmar. That is my next purchase!

Music Room: Marantz PM8004, Marantz SA8004, Audioquest ICs, Emotiva speaker cables, Quad 22L2, Pioneer DV610AUK universal player
Family room: Tascam PA-R100 AVR, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Jamo S606 5.1 system, Dayton speaker cables, Sharp Aquos tv
Office: Teac CRH500NT internet receiver, Cambridge Audio S-30, Jamo 210 sub
Home Theatre Room: (under construction) Oppo 103
post #363 of 505 Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new pair of Canton Ergo 690's coming to me in a week. I'll be running them off a Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver. I hope the receiver matches well with the speakers. I have CT-70's and love them and look forward to the upgrade.
post #364 of 505 Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Keep us updated....congrats.
post #365 of 505 Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM

Hi all, just joined this forum because I believe, unless someone jumps in before I get a verification email, I have just bought a pair of (rarely) used Canton Karat 720 bookshelf speakers.
I've searched far and wide for a reputable review on these speakers but there doesn't seem to be that much information on them. I'm coming across from a fairly cheap 5.1 set-up andI intend to use the Canton's purely for music purposes so I'm hoping it's a good upgrade.

Can anyone here vouch for the speakers? Are they good with bass or is a subwoofer necessary? In general I've heard good things about the Karat series but not much specific about the 720.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated cool.gif
post #366 of 505 Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM

A little info:

http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Karat_720

The Karat series covers a lot of ground and different speaker designs.
post #367 of 505 Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I have been listening to my Cantons now with the NAD C326BEE and a new NAD C516BEE cd player. I have to say the NAD has definitely tamed the brightness and the bass output has improved. I also invested in Audioquest IC and speaker wires. Until I get the urge to upgrade, I will be happy with this system. No bells and whistles, just good sound. The whole system seems very adjusted to my dedicated music room. I think there is good synergy between NAD and Canton.

Music Room: Marantz PM8004, Marantz SA8004, Audioquest ICs, Emotiva speaker cables, Quad 22L2, Pioneer DV610AUK universal player
Family room: Tascam PA-R100 AVR, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Jamo S606 5.1 system, Dayton speaker cables, Sharp Aquos tv
Office: Teac CRH500NT internet receiver, Cambridge Audio S-30, Jamo 210 sub
Home Theatre Room: (under construction) Oppo 103
post #368 of 505 Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks burt, I was sort of hoping someone could give some experience with them in person, but soon enough I'll get the chance anyway. They are on their way, just need to pair them with a suitable amp....seems to be plenty of info for that I'm this thread though!
post #369 of 505 Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 AM

Hi,

I bought Canton Chrono 502.2 as front and Canton Chrono SL555 as center.
I am currently using it with a Pioneer 5.1 receiver HTP-071.

Obviously i bought the receiver before the speakers. But what would you recommend as receiver for the Canton's? And is my current receiver sufficient enough? Will i hear any difference using a different receiver?

Thanks!
post #370 of 505 Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM

If I where you, I would get a good quality receiver like a NAD or Anthem. They will be a much better fit for Canton
post #371 of 505 Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourage12 View Post

Hi all, just joined this forum because I believe, unless someone jumps in before I get a verification email, I have just bought a pair of (rarely) used Canton Karat 720 bookshelf speakers.
I've searched far and wide for a reputable review on these speakers but there doesn't seem to be that much information on them. I'm coming across from a fairly cheap 5.1 set-up andI intend to use the Canton's purely for music purposes so I'm hoping it's a good upgrade.

Can anyone here vouch for the speakers? Are they good with bass or is a subwoofer necessary? In general I've heard good things about the Karat series but not much specific about the 720.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated cool.gif

FWIW, I own a pair of Canton Karat 920 DC's. I purchased them "new" in 1996 to go in a media cabinet housing our first 5.1 Dolby Digital theater system. I hadn't heard of the brand but it didn't matter. I'd been a pro musician in the 1980's and spent months at a time in recording studios with bazillion dollar audio systems. Which spoiled the HELL out of me. No need for a salesman to advise what sounded good, or a high-end badge on the speaker. A good listen was all I needed and I listened to them all. The sound quality emitting from the Canton's was undeniable and I was smitten. They ended up the "clear winner" for me. Of course speaker selection is all very subjective, thus the "FWIW" disclaimer.

Over the past 17 years, they've always sounded superb with everything I've powered them with. I've never heard them distort, no matter the volume. That said, I've always paired them with 2 Velodyne F1200 sub-woofers. After all, they are bookshelf speakers.

I'm happy to say they've recently been promoted to audiophile duties in a new "music-only" listening station. In case anyone is interested - the source material starts out as uncompressed FLAC files on an internal hard drive in an Asus netbook/ which are then processed through foobar2000 WASAPI/ then streamed through an Audioquest Forrest USB cable to a Schiit Modi DAC/ which is connected to Denon DRA-1025r Class-A receiver I purchased "new" in the late 1980's. This was Denon's flagship model at the time, and a truly amazing match for the Canton's. This may seem dubious to some but I'm not using any crossover between the Canton's & the sub. Rather, I have RCA "Y" connectors at the Denon's "MAIN OUT" with half of the "Y" going to the sub (the sub only reproduces to 85hz so I have the internal crossover turned off) and the other half going back to the Denon's "MAIN IN" where the signal is amplified "full-range" and sent to the Karat 920 DC's.

It's a work in progress, and I'll likely change this someday, but so far it sounds surprisingly good. That said, If I were buying speakers today for a music-only system, I would take the $3000 I spent on the two Velodyne sub woofers plus the money spent on the Canton 920 Karat DC's and buy a good pair of Canton towers. No need for a sub or the space they require. No "where-the-hell-do-I place-these-friggin-sub woofer" problems. No weird crossover issues. No need for speaker stands either.

But, for now... I'm just going to take some time and enjoy listening to my favorite music. That's why we do all this, isn't it?

Gary
post #372 of 505 Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM

Thanks for you comments on the KARAT Gary!

I have discovered that Canton speakers are a very good match with tubes. I have my Cantons paired with Vincent tubes and just recently switched the tubes in the preamp to Mullards. I wish you guys could hear this. I did have Gold Lion before and they where great, but the Mullards and what they can do past that sound up. The Canton Vento's are just fabulous with Tubes. Nothing syrupy about Vincent audio tubed gear...not syrupy in the least, but sorta livley and the cantons are a perfectr match.
post #373 of 505 Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks for you comments on the KARAT Gary!

I have discovered that Canton speakers are a very good match with tubes. I have my Cantons paired with Vincent tubes and just recently switched the tubes in the preamp to Mullards. I wish you guys could hear this. I did have Gold Lion before and they where great, but the Mullards and what they can do past that sound up. The Canton Vento's are just fabulous with Tubes. Nothing syrupy about Vincent audio tubed gear...not syrupy in the least, but sorta livley and the cantons are a perfectr match.

Thanks for the tip. If this economy didn't have me by the tail...

Speaking of which, the economy pushed me into the habit of buying things used off ebay and craigslist, which I've often found satisfying and fun. I recently bought a pair of Infinity Reference Standard 325's in new condition. I knew I'd found a gem from the very moment I hooked them up. They sounded sooooo good. At 14" high, they're a good size speaker. For fun, I yanked the Canton's out of the media cabinet and A/B'd them with my new babies. The Karat's spanked the holy crap out of those Infinity's. It was like comparing hamburger to steak. The Infinity's are now in the media cabinet and the Canton's are in the music system.

Gary
post #374 of 505 Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 AM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I own a set GLE 470 front speakers and a GLE SUB8.2 hooked up to my onkyo tx-nr808 reciever. I'm looking to buy a center speaker and of course it will be a canton. The CD 350 and the Chrono 505 are on my list. I don't have much space beneeth my TV so the CD 350 looks like a great option. But are there any drawbacks compared to the bigger Chrono 505? The compactness of the speaker is a factor but quality of sound is more important to me. I can't find any tests or reviews on the CD 350. Does anybody have experience with the CD 350 centerspeaker or advice on which speaker is the better?

Thanks!
Ralf
post #375 of 505 Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM

anyone here own or has any info about Vento 880.2??

I am interested...
post #376 of 505 Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM

What info did you want about them?
post #377 of 505 Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM

like sounds quality??

value for money

i am looking for my HT room......with Anthem 500+power amp
post #378 of 505 Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Thought youd never ask.

The Vento series was recently upgraded and carries the “.2” designator. This means that Canton kept the form factor the same but upgraded drivers and crossover technology. In the case of the new Vento, the most important change (and it’s very significant) was the addition of the ceramic dome tweeter technology and dome geometry from the Reference series. This tweeter is truly world class and features very extended frequency response, wide dispersion characteristics and high power handling. It’s just an incredibly smooth tweeter. The woofers, midrange and crossovers were also changed slightly to reflect the overall balance – Canton designs each individual speaker as a system – so the driver parameters changed but the materials remained the same. The woofers and midrange are aluminum and they utilize Canton’s patented “wave” surround. The wave surround provides for extremely long yet controlled excursions for Canton’s cone drivers and improves output SPL and frequency response. The cabinets are a multi-layer laminate, pressure glued to form a very rigid cabinet structure; the curved walls prevent internal standing waves. I particularly like the 830.2 because the size to performance ratio is huge. They sound like much larger speakers....so absolutly good value for you money here. The floor standers are also agreat value for what you pay. And while fairly easy to drive, they also respond well to improvements in the electronics used to drive them.
post #379 of 505 Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 AM

thanks a lot for the info...

I was hesitated because the lack of review and talk-about.

are there much differences between 880 and 890 in terms of sounds and quality??? (I actually want to go for 890.2 series but due to the budget, I may have to limit to 880.2)

I am deciding between Vento 880.2 series ( 7 channels) and KEF R700 series

any comment???
post #380 of 505 Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poramin Chawla View Post

thanks a lot for the info...

I was hesitated because the lack of review and talk-about.

are there much differences between 880 and 890 in terms of sounds and quality??? (I actually want to go for 890.2 series but due to the budget, I may have to limit to 880.2)

I am deciding between Vento 880.2 series ( 7 channels) and KEF R700 series

any comment???

I have talked to a few people who have heard the Vento's.... loved them, but thought they where to expensive. Another thing...Cantons are very hard to find in the U.S. So they don't know about them...and because of that, they don't sell well in the States for audio, there are only a few up to date reviews out there. They sell much better over in the UK and Europe.

Not much difference in the 890.2 and the 880.2. But the 890.2 is a 3 way and the 880.2 is a 2 and half way...and of course with the 890.2 you get more of what the 880.2 can do.

While KEF makes a very good speaker, their R700 is not in the same class of speaker as the Canton Vento series of speakers. If you want the same class as the Vento in KEF, you would have to move to the KEF Reference series.
post #381 of 505 Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I have talked to a few people who have heard the Vento's.... loved them, but thought they where to expensive. Another thing...Cantons are very hard to find in the U.S. So they don't know about them...and because of that, they don't sell well in the States for audio, there are only a few up to date reviews out there. They sell much better over in the UK and Europe.

Not much difference in the 890.2 and the 880.2. But the 890.2 is a 3 way and the 880.2 is a 2 and half way...and of course with the 890.2 you get more of what the 880.2 can do.

While KEF makes a very good speaker, their R700 is not in the same class of speaker as the Canton Vento series of speakers. If you want the same class as the Vento in KEF, you would have to move to the KEF Reference series.

They are both 3-way systems, the 890's have larger mid range and bass drivers than the 880's.
post #382 of 505 Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the correction.
post #383 of 505 Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydolson View Post

FWIW, I own a pair of Canton Karat 920 DC's. I purchased them "new" in 1996 to go in a media cabinet housing our first 5.1 Dolby Digital theater system. I hadn't heard of the brand but it didn't matter. I'd been a pro musician in the 1980's and spent months at a time in recording studios with bazillion dollar audio systems. Which spoiled the HELL out of me. No need for a salesman to advise what sounded good, or a high-end badge on the speaker. A good listen was all I needed and I listened to them all. The sound quality emitting from the Canton's was undeniable and I was smitten. They ended up the "clear winner" for me. Of course speaker selection is all very subjective, thus the "FWIW" disclaimer.

Over the past 17 years, they've always sounded superb with everything I've powered them with. I've never heard them distort, no matter the volume. That said, I've always paired them with 2 Velodyne F1200 sub-woofers. After all, they are bookshelf speakers.

I'm happy to say they've recently been promoted to audiophile duties in a new "music-only" listening station. In case anyone is interested - the source material starts out as uncompressed FLAC files on an internal hard drive in an Asus netbook/ which are then processed through foobar2000 WASAPI/ then streamed through an Audioquest Forrest USB cable to a Schiit Modi DAC/ which is connected to Denon DRA-1025r Class-A receiver I purchased "new" in the late 1980's. This was Denon's flagship model at the time, and a truly amazing match for the Canton's. This may seem dubious to some but I'm not using any crossover between the Canton's & the sub. Rather, I have RCA "Y" connectors at the Denon's "MAIN OUT" with half of the "Y" going to the sub (the sub only reproduces to 85hz so I have the internal crossover turned off) and the other half going back to the Denon's "MAIN IN" where the signal is amplified "full-range" and sent to the Karat 920 DC's.

It's a work in progress, and I'll likely change this someday, but so far it sounds surprisingly good. That said, If I were buying speakers today for a music-only system, I would take the $3000 I spent on the two Velodyne sub woofers plus the money spent on the Canton 920 Karat DC's and buy a good pair of Canton towers. No need for a sub or the space they require. No "where-the-hell-do-I place-these-friggin-sub woofer" problems. No weird crossover issues. No need for speaker stands either.

But, for now... I'm just going to take some time and enjoy listening to my favorite music. That's why we do all this, isn't it?

Gary
Thanks for the feedback! I've had them a while now and just been running them off a pretty basic old amplifier. They are great speakers but nothing overly special yet, I'm hoping when I get my new amp up and running it will power the cantons into gear.
I've read a lot about pairing cantons with the right amp, just wondering if you (or anyone) could give some thoughts on a refurbished harmon kardon pm665 vxi amplifier?
post #384 of 505 Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Of course you should get what you can afford...but you should try and get a nice tube amp. some thing like this http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISV236MK

Of something like this http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC356BEE

post #385 of 505 Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Hello guys....

Been a while since my last log in..i see a lot of interesting advises.

Ok, going back to the ventos 870.2 i have purchased.
Looking at two integrated amps to match these towers

1) anthem 225
1) marantz pm-15s2b

Dealer let me test the 225 yesterday, in my home setup, and i must say, the 225 is a monster.
Power and agile. I found that is took full advantage of what the speakers could offer.
But as i already have a marantz sa8004 cd player/dac, i want to also test the marantz pm-15.
Dealer is getting the marantz this coming week, and i will also test it before purchasing.
Thus far, the 225 is quite impressive though.
Probably gonna be difficult to choose. I now have high expectations for the marantz integrated.

Lets hope the decision will be easy

Will keep you posted

Thanks
post #386 of 505 Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Hi folks, just joined a forum for the first time in my life and I am not realy sure how this works, but I will try:

I got my eyes on some Karat 790DC.
It is realy hard to find anything on the web regarding this speakers on english or norwegian.

I was a bit surprised after reading this forum and all its posts, that so few mentions the Karat 790DC´s.
-Is this because they suck?

If there are any one who knows this speakers I would be very glad for asking about their sound, room requirement and proper amp match.
I am not sure that my amp will feed this speakers sufficient. I use a Quad 405 mk2 power amp.
The prising on the speakers seems rather fair and I am realy curious on them. They look interesting!

Is there anbody out there?

Thank you very much!
post #387 of 505 Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM

post #388 of 505 Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman78 View Post

Hello guys....

Been a while since my last log in..i see a lot of interesting advises.

Ok, going back to the ventos 870.2 i have purchased.
Looking at two integrated amps to match these towers

1) anthem 225
1) marantz pm-15s2b

Dealer let me test the 225 yesterday, in my home setup, and i must say, the 225 is a monster.
Power and agile. I found that is took full advantage of what the speakers could offer.
But as i already have a marantz sa8004 cd player/dac, i want to also test the marantz pm-15.
Dealer is getting the marantz this coming week, and i will also test it before purchasing.
Thus far, the 225 is quite impressive though.
Probably gonna be difficult to choose. I now have high expectations for the marantz integrated.

Lets hope the decision will be easy

Will keep you posted

Thanks

IF it where me and I had to chose between the two...it would be the Marantz. But as you know, Cantons require good power. Have you given the Vincent integrated amp and thought? Excellent match for the Cantons....and its a Hybrid.
post #389 of 505 Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Liked: 19
I've got a complete set of Canton's not being used. Ergo 31DC bookshelf pair, AV700 center, CD10 center, Plus S rears. Maybe I'll set up a 5.1 system in my garage. biggrin.gif
post #390 of 505 Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW View Post

I've got a complete set of Canton's not being used. Ergo 31DC bookshelf pair, AV700 center, CD10 center, Plus S rears. Maybe I'll set up a 5.1 system in my garage. biggrin.gif

Or you can send them to me and I can set them up in my house?biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page