1Likes

post #451 of 503 Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidio View Post

I am using an Emotiva XPA-2 to power my Vento 890.2 DCs. It matches these speakers really well IMO.

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 503 Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

has anyone listened to the gle470.2? I am curious how it sounds. I have read some reviews that call it metallic, bright and harsh. And others that say it is smooth and laid back???  just wondering if anyone can confirm either of these or maybe give their own opinion on it.

post #453 of 503 Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kienphat View Post

Please give me some recommends which poweramp goes best these speakers :-) many thanks.

I'm bi-amping my 880's with 2 Naim NAP 155's. One amp for each speaker. I like the sound. wink.gif
post #454 of 503 Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBal4 View Post

has anyone listened to the gle470.2? I am curious how it sounds. I have read some reviews that call it metallic, bright and harsh. And others that say it is smooth and laid back???  just wondering if anyone can confirm either of these or maybe give their own opinion on it.
If you, like me, are used to the ceramic tweeter of the Vento 890.2 DC (i.e., the same type of tweeter that can also be found in the Canton Reference line of speakers), are used to the AMT tweeter of the Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 5, and are used to the very linear frequency response curve typical of both of these speakers then yes, I guess I could understand why you would describe a lot of other speakers as "metallic, bright and harsh".
post #455 of 503 Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidio View Post

If you, like me, are used to the ceramic tweeter of the Vento 890.2 DC (i.e., the same type of tweeter that can also be found in the Canton Reference line of speakers), are used to the AMT tweeter of the Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 5, and are used to the very linear frequency response curve typical of both of these speakers then yes, I guess I could understand why you would describe a lot of other speakers as "metallic, bright and harsh".

I have not heard either of those style of tweeters before. the only decent speakers I have had are old JBL L7. I have heard the new paradigm lineup as well, but I am pretty new to this whole hifi speaker dealio. The reason I was asking is because that is what I have read about them. I am very close to buying a pair but I am worried they would only sound good with certain types of music. 

The only time I have experienced really metallic sound is in ultrasone headphones(pro2500, pro900, hfi780). they sounded amazing with electronic music, but not very good with anything else. 

post #456 of 503 Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhh View Post

I'm bi-amping my 880's with 2 Naim NAP 155's. One amp for each speaker. I like the sound. wink.gif

Thank you. I'll take a look at it later. :)

post #457 of 503 Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have not heard either of those style of tweeters before. the only decent speakers I have had are old JBL L7. I have heard the new paradigm lineup as well, but I am pretty new to this whole hifi speaker dealio. The reason I was asking is because that is what I have read about them. I am very close to buying a pair but I am worried they would only sound good with certain types of music. 

The only time I have experienced really metallic sound is in ultrasone headphones(pro2500, pro900, hfi780). they sounded amazing with electronic music, but not very good with anything else. 

I have the GLE 490.2, the bigger brother model of the 470. Right out of the box, they were bright and thin but after about 50 hours, the treble stabilized and now it is more laid back. Less bright and more subtle. Not as crisp as I would like but if you are after a very neutral sounding speaker, then the 490.2 delivers that. I suspect the 470.2 should have the same characteristics as well. Give them time to burn-in and use good amplification as the GLE series, like all Cantons, thrive on ample power to sound their best. I use the Marantz PM8004 and it is very good match, my Cantons really sing with this amp. I have read that the 470.2 offers deeper bass detail than the 490.2 so I'd be interested to know your thoughts about the bass after you have the speakers burned-in. Hope this helps!

Music Room: Marantz PM8004, Marantz SA8004, Audioquest ICs, Emotiva speaker cables, Quad 22L2, Pioneer DV610AUK universal player
Family room: Tascam PA-R100 AVR, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Jamo S606 5.1 system, Dayton speaker cables, Sharp Aquos tv
Office: Teac CRH500NT internet receiver, Cambridge Audio S-30, Jamo 210 sub
Home Theatre Room: (under construction) Oppo 103
post #458 of 503 Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:

I have the GLE 490.2, the bigger brother model of the 470. Right out of the box, they were bright and thin but after about 50 hours, the treble stabilized and now it is more laid back. Less bright and more subtle. Not as crisp as I would like but if you are after a very neutral sounding speaker, then the 490.2 delivers that. I suspect the 470.2 should have the same characteristics as well. Give them time to burn-in and use good amplification as the GLE series, like all Cantons, thrive on ample power to sound their best. I use the Marantz PM8004 and it is very good match, my Cantons really sing with this amp. I have read that the 470.2 offers deeper bass detail than the 490.2 so I'd be interested to know your thoughts about the bass after you have the speakers burned-in.

Music Room: Marantz PM8004, Marantz SA8004, Audioquest ICs, Emotiva speaker cables, Quad 22L2, Pioneer DV610AUK universal player
Family room: Tascam PA-R100 AVR, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Jamo S606 5.1 system, Dayton speaker cables, Sharp Aquos tv
post #459 of 503 Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 AM

Sorry for the double-post. I guess IE has a glitch.

post #460 of 503 Old 12-13-2013, 01:38 PM

I actually don't own a pair of cantons, I was interested because I was looking into buying some. It will probably be a while if I do end up buying some because I just picked up a pair of Paradigm atoms for 150 with stands last night. thanks for the response tho. 

Also do you think the cantons are better with music of HT use?

post #461 of 503 Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 AM

Hello,

I posted in the "The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ" (so excuse my cut-pasting ;-) )because I saw that a user (Chario) used the same AV Receiver (Denon 2113ci) paired with Canton Chrono speakers, but I feel people in this thread should be able to give me valuable hands on information. Maybe someone has another similar AV Receiver with the Canton speakers.

I've been listening to speakers all week and was about to buy Canton Chrono 509.2 tower speakers with a Chrono 505.2 center channel. But I noticed the impedance being stated between 4 and 8 ohms, as well as the sensitivity (88.3bd and 87.5db) being lower than other speakers I was considering. After reading a few posts on the net, I'm worried that my 2113ci won't be up to the task to drive those Canton speakers without clipping and possibly damaging the 2113ci and/or the speakers.

Should I be worried about my AV Receiver not being up to the task? Should I look at other brands of speakers? That would be disappointing because the Canton Chrono are the speaker I prefered in all the speakers I listened to in store.

Carl
post #462 of 503 Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Maudite View Post

Should I be worried about my AV Receiver not being up to the task?
Carl
You only list those 3 speakers, so I guess if bi amping is possible for the fronts - that and the power for the center should be fine. If not pushed too much there won't be an issue on regular setup, if you try it all the way up loud there might be some issues. But if you just pull back as soon as clipping starts speakers wouldn't get harmed instantly, its rather kind of a degredation that happens over time..
Don't know the Denon but my guess is there is some improvement possible on those Chronos with an even better amp...
post #463 of 503 Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post

You only list those 3 speakers, so I guess if bi amping is possible for the fronts - that and the power for the center should be fine. If not pushed too much there won't be an issue on regular setup, if you try it all the way up loud there might be some issues. But if you just pull back as soon as clipping starts speakers wouldn't get harmed instantly, its rather kind of a degredation that happens over time..
Don't know the Denon but my guess is there is some improvement possible on those Chronos with an even better amp...

Thanks for the information.

A better amp would be nice of course, but my budget is already streched by considering the Chronos. I've been offered a Cambridge Azur 651R to go with the Chronos at around 2000 CAD$. That's a lot of dough considering I don't really want to upgrade my 1 year old Denon 2113ci that I paid 650 CAD$.

The reason I list only 3 speakers is because I'll be keeping my current surround speakers. Also I didn't talk about the sub because it's active.
post #464 of 503 Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You should be fine...the Denon is high current and I think the power supply is a good one, but I have not seen it...if you are worried, you can always get another amp to drive the fronts and its very easy to connect to the Denon. A good used amp like a ADCOM 5400 or something would do you good. Those old amps look good and are cheaply priced.
post #465 of 503 Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Is this forum dead? Nothing since the end of 2013.
post #466 of 503 Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Certainly not much activity. Check in every so often lately. What was it you are looking for?

ADS-1590/1230/910/SAT6/SUB8 Canton-CA10/CA15/EC-P1/Ergo RC-A/CM-500/CT1000/CT2000 JBL-L300 Klipsch-La Scala
post #467 of 503 Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
not dead wdburt1...Canton's not dead smile.gif , i'm lazy go through your last comments...do you need some advice?

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
post #468 of 503 Old 03-01-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamesb View Post

Certainly not much activity. Check in every so often lately. What was it you are looking for?

It would be nice to see something new posted more than once every two months.
post #469 of 503 Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdburt1 View Post

It would be nice to see something new posted more than once every two months.
Hmm quite difficult if there ain't any open questions or discussions. I doub't ppl would be interested in things like Chronos SLS, DM90 and DM9 got well received by German mangazins/reviewers lately...
... or that a new active monitor box got introduced and also a new on/in wall design line called Atelier.
I guess most of the few Canton owners are busy all the time - listening music, watching movies...
You didn't post a lot either since 1979 biggrin.gif
post #470 of 503 Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Well I will start by asking if anyone has any experience with CT2000's? I purchased a set some time ago in mahogany, high gloss from a seller in Texas. The seller was most credable however he did not pack them well for the trip with FedEX:eek: I have many speaker projects and upon opening these CT's it was evident one had significant damage to one of the sides to the cabinet. I have worked with wood for many years so I put the pair up in storage until such time as I can rebuild them.

Each time I see them beside my tech., bench I am so curious to hear what they sound like. I plan on getting to them this summer, but at this point only know of how impressed I was with them when I briefly auditioned them before putting them away. That was about two years ago.rolleyes.gif

Any comments are most appreciated.

ADS-1590/1230/910/SAT6/SUB8 Canton-CA10/CA15/EC-P1/Ergo RC-A/CM-500/CT1000/CT2000 JBL-L300 Klipsch-La Scala
post #471 of 503 Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 AM

don't let em rest for too long - im not sure if those 80s speakers material need some movement now and then. I hope the x-overs are still intact, don't know much about woodwork, this post at audiocarma might give some ideas/insights. A makeover will be worth the hassle - i'm sure. smile.gif
post #472 of 503 Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
ajamesb,

sorry, I have no experience with CT series..

Btw , I would let you know about other great german speakers brand ELAC, the history of the band is long, but about last decades is focused to produce speakers .

Check the website www.elac.com and their series. There is alot of reviews and tests over the internet.

Also in this forum you can find some threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489140/anyone-heared-elac-speakers

http://www.avsforum.com/t/372756/elac-speakers

anyway, I still love my Ventos

Canton_Vento_807DC_detail.jpg

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
post #473 of 503 Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM

Thanks guys. Pretty much all my audio gear is vintage 70's to '80. Have spent the last few years collecting and restoring all my components to nearly 100% original condition. Only now am I able to concentrate on my speakers sets from the late 70's thru the 80's. Well, my Canton CA's are somewhat unheard of in the states and took nearly 24 months to get straight. They are singing now though. Cantons had it right like others by using only high quality components. They used rubber surrounds back then which last for some time. I still condition them though. Crossovers have not been an issue for me as of yet, but not too big of a deal to service when needed.

I will admit though that I have considered getting into the 5.1 arena with newer speakers. Think it is referred to 5.1 surround?. It's a big step for a 2-channel guy like myself. Honestly have not taken the time to research what is out there now. Elac's look like a well received brand. It must be that Germans don't see the need to market their gear here in the States as Canton never made an effort despite having some great stuff.

Have never had the pleasure of hearing the Vento line. Although, I am very aware of how well audiophiles regard them. Will be looking into the Elac's and read many good reviews of the 127's. I know my Canton CA10 and 15's are best suited for Jazz and lighter Blues. What can you say about your Ventos for types of music?

Thanks again.

post #474 of 503 Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Hello everyone. I just became the owner of a pair of Canton Loudspeakers. 

I got them from my friend who couldn't tell the exact name of the loudspeakers.

I thought I would show them to you in a photo I took yessterday.

Maybe someone of you can identify the exact brand name.

Thank you in advance

post #475 of 503 Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobidobi View Post

Maybe someone of you can identify ...
The model number/name is usually written on a sticker on the back. My first guess would be a ca. year 2000 speaker (tweeter w/o aluminium) of LE or SP series. If not written on the back it should be printed on the x-over board as well, like this one is from GLE 402.
Hope this helps wink.gif
post #476 of 503 Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Thank you for your kind answer. Unfortunately there is nothing written on any part on the speaker.

post #477 of 503 Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone. I just became the owner of a pair of Canton Loudspeakers. 
I got them from my friend who couldn't tell the exact name of the loudspeakers.
I thought I would show them to you in a photo I took yessterday.
Maybe someone of you can identify the exact brand name.
Thank you in advance

A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of speakers that looked just like these. Mine were Canton Fonum 630 DC speakers. I am fairly sure yours are too. You can find more information about this model at http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Fonum_630_DC. It's in German, but Google Translate makes quick work of it. Also, a Google search on this model brings up photos of other examples of this model.

Fonum 630 DC speaker enclosures measure 36.42 inches high, 9.05 inches wide, and 11.10 inches deep.

My copies were in the same butt-ugly tan-colored finish. I have owned several Canton speakers and these were well below the others in terms of finish. Contrary to what many owners think, the mahogany and walnut models are not (in my experience) solid wood, but rather a very nice veneer. For whatever reason, these tan-colored creatures seemed to have an easily-dented, plasticy veneer. But the speakers (again, in my experience) really deliver. They do really well with upper base and midrange. I liked them so well I had them refinished to match other Canton speakers wearing the mahogany veneer. If yours are in good shape they should perform nicely, especially if you add, say, a Plus E subwoofer.
post #478 of 503 Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Thank you very much for your answer. Your guess is almost perfect except that my speakers have only 3 circle (units) in front, and yours have 4.

My fourth is on the back side, but it's only for grabbing the speaker.

My other question is, how could you have them refinished? I would like to have them in other colour, but I couldn't find a sophisticated method yet. 

post #479 of 503 Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 PM

What you call the fourth circle unit is the vent for the bass. I have seen some sample variation in other Canton models and would not rule it out here, particularly with something simple like the location of the vent. The dimensions of each speaker are given in the German web site I linked to. Divide centimeters by 25.4 and you get inches. If yours are the same dimensions as those listed for the Fonum 630 DC, I would still say that this is what you have. If they are something different, you can use the web site to explore similar Canton models.

"Refinishing" is a quick way of describing what I had done. Basically, I had a local woodworking guy--a very good one--build new enclosures for the Fonum 630's, with veneer and woodwork matching Canton's mahogany. The result was worth the expense. I'll leave it at that.
post #480 of 503 Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:

...there is nothing written on any part on the speaker...
Quote:

... is on the back side, but it's only for grabbing the speaker...
hi sobidobi
the rather unfamiliar look, missing specs stickers, no canton type branding on the xover board and a grabbin hole... that sounds like these are rebuilt already... as wdburt i also would recommend finding a local pro for making new cabinets in case you don't like what u have already...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page