post #511 of 525 Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1987 View Post
Will that work you think?
....Why do you guys recommend ?....Should I buy thecenter from the same serie, or doesn’t that matter?
I prefer front speakers beeing all of the same series and quality - so the sound blends better and no speaker stands out. I wouldn't even mix between series of a given brand, like Chronos and GLE. I even go as far and have all sourround setup same series, just not to worry about what could be if not.The sub(s) is a different thing as that is different freq and not as critical.
I'd sell the Jamo set and get an all Canton setup (as an option if stereo music is very important have another pairs of speakers on a second zone). But it's up to you what you think is important and affordable, you have to make your own experience, best is to test at home before (finally) buying!

The GLE will most propably have a better sound quality when playing loud compared to your Jamos, but they migh ask for the same if not more amps power to do so.

For some audiophiles here both are a no go and they would say at least take the Chronos, but again, your money, your room, your ears, your decision. All the speakers you name have a very good value at their price point I think.

Why I do recommend? I don't know, kind of a altruist attitude I think - at least I won't sell you speakers if you ask Normally I just read posts hoping to learn sth new, way too often I find myself writing answers.
-----
btw that Denon thing may just not have enough "multi channel power" for your sourround preference after all, do the math yourself at 4ohms all channells loaded - given you can find some data for that amp.... Or just test the various speakers types in 2.1 or 3.1 to get an idea if it's the speakers or the amp that fails to match your needs in 5.1....

Last edited by mazpri; 10-15-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: i forgot to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 525 Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni2200 View Post
Very nice!
post #513 of 525 Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared4me View Post
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Vento 830.2 and Reference 9.2? I am very interested in these two speakers but I don't have a way to audition the 9.2 and would have to special order it from Germany if I decided to go with it. I live in SE Ohio if anyone happens to have the 9.2 and wouldn't mind letting me check them out. Thanks for your help
I have the 830.2's but have never heard the 9.2's....but am told the 9.2's would be a little more refined in the sound
post #514 of 525 Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I have a pair of Chrono 507.2-s used mainly for music. I choose chronos as they sounded great playing jazz (btw they were demoed with denon amp in the shop).

And though I mostly stick with jazz sometimes you have to switch to that good old rock, right? And sometimes it seems that sound gets kind of smeared and I start to wonder maybe there's some weak link in my setup.

Source is a linux HTPC with nvidia Ion2 chipset and I play lossless files or music videos using passthrough audio mode via HDMI to my Marantz SR5007 receiver. Another source is a satelite box but I dont care much about audio quality there anyway,

Ancient Adcom GFA-545 II power amp is hooked to receiver's pre-outs (supra interconnect cables and speaker cables are emotiva). Beleive me, power amp makes real difference! Same system without adcom (i.e. using Marantz builtin amps) sounds kind of shallow. Also I could not hear benefits of marantz audissey calibration - direct mode works better for me.

So now I ponder if it makes sense to look for upgrading something. Can I get noticeable improvement? Or maybe current setup looks well-balanced and I'd better start saving money for a new system based on higher class speakers for better sound?

Of course, I understand there are no ready-made recipes, the best way is to try and listen - but there are too many different options/combinations - source-DAC-preamp-amp.

So I'd be glad to hear any advice in which direction to look first.
post #515 of 525 Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKK64 View Post
Hi all,

I have a pair of Chrono 507.2-s used mainly for music. I choose chronos as they sounded great playing jazz (btw they were demoed with denon amp in the shop).

And though I mostly stick with jazz sometimes you have to switch to that good old rock, right? And sometimes it seems that sound gets kind of smeared and I start to wonder maybe there's some weak link in my setup.

Source is a linux HTPC with nvidia Ion2 chipset and I play lossless files or music videos using passthrough audio mode via HDMI to my Marantz SR5007 receiver. Another source is a satelite box but I dont care much about audio quality there anyway,

Ancient Adcom GFA-545 II power amp is hooked to receiver's pre-outs (supra interconnect cables and speaker cables are emotiva). Beleive me, power amp makes real difference! Same system without adcom (i.e. using Marantz builtin amps) sounds kind of shallow. Also I could not hear benefits of marantz audissey calibration - direct mode works better for me.

So now I ponder if it makes sense to look for upgrading something. Can I get noticeable improvement? Or maybe current setup looks well-balanced and I'd better start saving money for a new system based on higher class speakers for better sound?

Of course, I understand there are no ready-made recipes, the best way is to try and listen - but there are too many different options/combinations - source-DAC-preamp-amp.

So I'd be glad to hear any advice in which direction to look first.
I read some posts of ppl switchin from Marantz to Anthem receiver beein very happy about that step. However, your Adcom might have done the trick already. Then speakers would be next... noticable improvement? That's up to you.....
post #516 of 525 Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
I read some posts of ppl switchin from Marantz to Anthem receiver beein very happy about that step. However, your Adcom might have done the trick already. Then speakers would be next... noticable improvement? That's up to you.....
Thanks mazpri,

Unfortunately I too suspect that 'speakers would be next'
post #517 of 525 Old 11-30-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Which brand receiver is best for Canton Chrono's for music?
post #518 of 525 Old 12-02-2014, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKK64 View Post
Thanks mazpri,

Unfortunately I too suspect that 'speakers would be next'
hm...you wrote, primarily listen to music, so I would sell the Marzantz and buy some good power amp. - ADCOM or different . You'll see the step forward.
That will be good basis for your next possible improvement - speakers.

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
post #519 of 525 Old 12-02-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasto View Post
hm...you wrote, primarily listen to music, so I would sell the Marzantz and buy some good power amp. - ADCOM or different . You'll see the step forward.
That will be good basis for your next possible improvement - speakers.
Thanks Vlasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Which brand receiver is best for Canton Chrono's for music?
Indeed, like Vlaso said you dont need receiver for music. Reciever of the same quality for music will cost much more compared to amp.

However, if you need AV receiver (I need it to watch music videos and live concerts, and to commute my sattelite box and, rarely, bluray player) make sure that it has pre-outs for front speakers, so that you will be able to hook external power amp in between.
post #520 of 525 Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've come across a pretty good deal on a pair of Canton Chrono SL590 (More than 50% off), but I haven't got a chance to listen to them.
They are specced at 20-40k hz, 4-8ohms.

Anyone know how these sound compared to B&W 683 S2 and the Klipsch RF-82?
In my experience, the klipsch got a nice and heavy bass, but the horn is too bright for my ears. The B&W I haven't had a chance to listen to in stereo.

I listen to all kinds of music, but I do enjoy bass that punch you in the chest (which is what the RF-82 does).
post #521 of 525 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

a tricky one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahp View Post
... klipsch got a nice and heavy bass, but the horn is too bright .. do enjoy bass that punch you in the chest ...
so you say you like the coloured sound of Klipsch in the low but not the high freq. band.
Canton and B&W are manufacturers usually tryin to do a linear sound reproduction across all freq. band and on a wider angle. So these would be no good for you, but maybe a bass boost on the amp, a subwoofer, a transducer under the sofa or a partner of choice can give you the punches in the chest you hope for

Those Cantons are most propably the predecessors to the 590.2 (little difference), and in case You don't mind buying speakers without test listening in room before you most likely wouldn't notice that difference either
post #522 of 525 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

Quote:
so you say you like the coloured sound of Klipsch in the low but not the high freq. band.
Canton and B&W are manufacturers usually tryin to do a linear sound reproduction across all freq. band and on a wider angle. So these would be no good for you, but maybe a bass boost on the amp, a subwoofer, a transducer under the sofa or a partner of choice can give you the punches in the chest you hope for

Those Cantons are most propably the predecessors to the 590.2 (little difference), and in case You don't mind buying speakers without test listening in room before you most likely wouldn't notice that difference either
I've already got a pair of B&W 685 S2 and I absolutely love the midrange/tweeter. It just lacks that punch, which the Klipsch can provide.
Perhaps a subwoofer would be the best choice, but would a single subwoofer be able to match the punch of 4x 8" woofers in the RF-82's?

That question is probably the main reason why I'm tempted at buying new fronts. It just seems logical that 4x woofers would provide a punchier bass than a single subwoofer would be able to.
post #523 of 525 Old Today, 02:16 AM

small becomes big

Quote:
.. got a pair of B&W 685 S2 ...just lacks that punch...would a single subwoofer be able to match the punch of 4x 8" woofers .... seems logical that 4x woofers would provide a punchier bass than a single subwoofer would be able to.
Coming from a bookshelf a bigger floorstander certainly has more bass...
see yourself what the klipsch vs. the others would do...
klipsch - b&w - canton - bookshelf
(look for the response freq. of your chest , and ignore beyond 20khz, why not googeling for pics yourself...?)

more woofers don't necessarily mean more bass, it depends on how the xover works on those and what each single one is capable of.. and in combination with ventilation.... and room layout... and etc etc.. and a sub can be indiviudally set for the good and the bad.. (music listeners tend to avoid subs at large, not so much Anthem owners...)
so more punch than bookshelfes will certainly be there, what ever that is in the end in your case you need to check for yourself...
post #524 of 525 Old Today, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Coming from a bookshelf a bigger floorstander certainly has more bass...
see yourself what the klipsch vs. the others would do...
klipsch - b&w - canton - bookshelf
(look for the response freq. of your chest , and ignore beyond 20khz, why not googeling for pics yourself...?)

more woofers don't necessarily mean more bass, it depends on how the xover works on those and what each single one is capable of.. and in combination with ventilation.... and room layout... and etc etc.. and a sub can be indiviudally set for the good and the bad.. (music listeners tend to avoid subs at large, not so much Anthem owners...)
so more punch than bookshelfes will certainly be there, what ever that is in the end in your case you need to check for yourself...
By those charts, is it safe to assume that the SL590 has more bass, and is more balanced across the range compared to the B&W 683 S2?

Edit: As you may have guessed by now, I'm totally new to this game :P
post #525 of 525 Old Today, 12:24 PM

Quote:
By those charts, is it safe to assume that the SL590 has more bass, and is more balanced across the range compared to the B&W 683 S2?..
yes, but with the reservation that the chart is from successor not what you mentioned and that the detail or sound uniformity in close distance/small rooms is nothing such a chart can tell, the B&W had a better review with that magazin compared to the Cantons, however it depends heavily on personal pref IMHO. The Cantons would usually go for more in Germany, it's a steal if you can get it for less than the B&W. But at that comparison i'd personally take also the looks into account - "nonfreaks" get used to a subtle sound difference over time, way faster than for example to the looks of their speakers
Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page