Canton owner's 'club' - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #541 of 555 Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 AM
Member
 
mazpri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ol Europe
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysabone View Post
...
Can anyone attest to the quality of the Canton subs? Particularly the 10.2 and 12.2.
IMO these are the same price/quality ratio as your GLEs, havn't heard of any complaints, two 8.2 might in some cases be the better option, get back to your dealer to help you with the setup/decision, sounds like he knows what to do...
mazpri is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 555 Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Newbie
 
leohuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Hello fellow Canton owners...

I recently moved to The Netherlands and I'm really set on getting some Canton speakers to power my new system... I do however have a major doubt.

I will use my system mostly for movies, but I will also listen to music regularly (70/30 probably). For the moment I'm planning no rear or side channels (i.e. only 3.1 max), and my doubt is mostly regarding the "type" of system that will be best suited for my needs: a tower speaker with a strong woofer (possibly GLE 490), or a thin tower (e.g. CD 190) with a 8" sub.

Due to "wife" requirements, I'm also very limited on my center channel, so I could definitely go for the CD 150, but nothing much larger. As such, I'm considering two options:

1) 2x GLE 490 (possibly without sub? Or perhaps I can add it in the future only)
2) 2x CD 190 + sub (which one? can I get something reasonable for ~200EUR?) + CD 150 (or no center channel also)

Option #2 is clearly more expensive, and I'm not so sure if it will be that much better (or better at all?)! Any tips? This will be my first time owning tower speakers...

Thanks!
Leo.
leohuf is offline  
post #543 of 555 Old 03-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Member
 
mazpri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ol Europe
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leohuf View Post
Hello fellow Canton owners...

I recently moved to The Netherlands and I'm really set on getting some Canton speakers to power my new system... I do however have a major doubt.

I will use my system mostly for movies, but I will also listen to music regularly (70/30 probably). For the moment I'm planning no rear or side channels (i.e. only 3.1 max), and my doubt is mostly regarding the "type" of system that will be best suited for my needs: a tower speaker with a strong woofer (possibly GLE 490), or a thin tower (e.g. CD 190) with a 8" sub.

Due to "wife" requirements, I'm also very limited on my center channel, so I could definitely go for the CD 150, but nothing much larger. As such, I'm considering two options:

1) 2x GLE 490 (possibly without sub? Or perhaps I can add it in the future only)
2) 2x CD 190 + sub (which one? can I get something reasonable for ~200EUR?) + CD 150 (or no center channel also)

Option #2 is clearly more expensive, and I'm not so sure if it will be that much better (or better at all?)! Any tips? This will be my first time owning tower speakers...

Thanks!
Leo.
looks like there are not many out there knowin CD and GLE.
You have to test listen and decide what fits best for you personally in that room.

Just a hint: while the GLE is sort of a budget entry point to get most sound quality out of a limited budget, the CD series is all about (WAF n Metrosex compatible) designs tryin to max out on audio quality. I'ts sort of encrypted in the marketing blah as well.
Personally I'd tend towards separate subwoofer and a very good center speaker when movies is more important though....
mazpri is online now  
post #544 of 555 Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I guess I just joined the Canton club. Until recently I'd never heard of the brand. Not even sure where my nearest dealer would be. Just happened to stumble upon these when looking for a sub to complement my Marantz sr5008. After realizing the build quality of the sub, I decided to look further into the brand and quickly replaced my JBL Northridge series center and surrounds with Canton. Love the results!

It's a pretty humble setup, but quite an upgrade for me and the family is thoroughly impressed, so I guess I did right.

I'm still using AR 318ps for the mains... I've been happy enough with those to not ditch them. Hardly a perfect match for the Cantons, but since the center is doing most of the work and Audessey is "correcting" them, I'm ok with keeping them.

Here's the 7.1 setup, cobbled together via accessories4less, craigslist, and ebay:

Mains: Acoustic Research 318ps
Center: Canton GLE 455.2
Sides + Rears: Canton Plus S
Sub: Canton AS-100
Dartr is offline  
post #545 of 555 Old 04-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I've been looking to upgrade my wall mountable Canton GLE 445 center for quite some time now. Mainly beacaue I think they sound a bit thin compared to my GLE 490 fronts and I now have the space to go for a full size center.

And today I got an offer to buy the Ergo CM 52-center really cheap. The Cm-52 itself should be a really good center, but do you think it would sound good together with my GLE 490?

Anyone had any experiene mixing the GLE-series with the Ergo?

/Bokai
Bokai is offline  
post #546 of 555 Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Vlasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leohuf View Post
Hello fellow Canton owners...

I recently moved to The Netherlands and I'm really set on getting some Canton speakers to power my new system... I do however have a major doubt.

I will use my system mostly for movies, but I will also listen to music regularly (70/30 probably). For the moment I'm planning no rear or side channels (i.e. only 3.1 max), and my doubt is mostly regarding the "type" of system that will be best suited for my needs: a tower speaker with a strong woofer (possibly GLE 490), or a thin tower (e.g. CD 190) with a 8" sub.

Due to "wife" requirements, I'm also very limited on my center channel, so I could definitely go for the CD 150, but nothing much larger. As such, I'm considering two options:

1) 2x GLE 490 (possibly without sub? Or perhaps I can add it in the future only)
2) 2x CD 190 + sub (which one? can I get something reasonable for ~200EUR?) + CD 150 (or no center channel also)

Option #2 is clearly more expensive, and I'm not so sure if it will be that much better (or better at all?)! Any tips? This will be my first time owning tower speakers... [IMG]file:///C:\Users\sk1u02z8\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Thanks!
Leo.

Hi leohuf,


I personally would go to GLE 490, sure if you've got a lot of place in your room. Sub can be bought later on, but you'll get better fronts.

--------------------------------------------
Hi Dartr,

Welcome to the club …

--------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokai View Post
Hi guys,

I've been looking to upgrade my wall mountable Canton GLE 445 center for quite some time now. Mainly beacaue I think they sound a bit thin compared to my GLE 490 fronts and I now have the space to go for a full size center.

And today I got an offer to buy the Ergo CM 52-center really cheap. The Cm-52 itself should be a really good center, but do you think it would sound good together with my GLE 490?

Anyone had any experiene mixing the GLE-series with the Ergo?

/Bokai
Hi Bokai,

Very important think by this change is to consider impedance of both centers.. I can’t tell you exactly about sound improvement, but guess there will be, since Ergo is higher, natural level ….

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
Vlasto is offline  
post #547 of 555 Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Vlasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
No components change in my setup, just new sofa in my room:




Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
Vlasto is offline  
post #548 of 555 Old 07-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Newbie
 
roni2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasto View Post
No components change in my setup, just new sofa in my room:



Vlasto

Modern and colorful, looks good and sound to with Cantos.
roni2200 is offline  
post #549 of 555 Old 07-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,


How would Canton 890DC's pair with a Unico Nuovo amp?


Thanks
mmishh is offline  
post #550 of 555 Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Member
 
mazpri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ol Europe
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmishh View Post
How would Canton 890DC's pair with a Unico Nuovo amp?
I guess they would pair very good as long as your goal isn't maxing out those Cantons with such an amp.
mmishh likes this.
mazpri is online now  
post #551 of 555 Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
I guess they would pair very good as long as your goal isn't maxing out those Cantons with such an amp.
Thanks for your advice, mazpri. I bought the combo along with a Unico CDP and very happy with the music it makes.
mmishh is offline  
post #552 of 555 Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
roni2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have Canton Vento 809 with Vincent Amp Hybrid SP-331 sounds good, and with Canton Vento 807 probably even better maybe because of the headroom or my room 12X16'.
roni2200 is offline  
post #553 of 555 Old 07-28-2015, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Vlasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni2200 View Post
Vlasto

Modern and colorful, looks good and sound to with Cantos.
Thanx a lot ..,

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni2200 View Post
I have Canton Vento 809 with Vincent Amp Hybrid SP-331 sounds good, and with Canton Vento 807 probably even better maybe because of the headroom or my room 12X16'.
congrats... seems that was good recommendation by Rantzmar ...

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
Vlasto is offline  
post #554 of 555 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Glossy white Canton Chrono 890DC's which I love. One of Them was cracked during my recent move from Zug (Switzerland) to Gothenburg (Sweden). I would like to know if it is possible to repair it. I think the entire cabinet will need to be changed. Please see attached picture of the damage. Any idea how much will it cost and if anyone has the contact details of Canton I would be grateful if you can share. I wrote on their online contact form but yet to hear from them


Look forward to hearing from you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 11.25.12 pm.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	896650  
mmishh is offline  
post #555 of 555 Unread Today, 06:55 AM
Member
 
mazpri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ol Europe
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmishh View Post
.. Any idea how much will it cost and if anyone has the contact details of Canton I would be grateful if you can share. I wrote on their online contact form but yet to hear from them
I'd guess it takes a while until they answer. For more interactive support I'd try to call the nearest international contact, they list these as Adresses International on their support website. I called their head quaters back then an got routed to a person who was able to sell me parts on phone.... but that was some time ago and all German language
But you could also give it a try... see contact details in Weilrod Germany.

FWIW to my experience some years ago they sold single chassis, xover boards or full sets of those for repair or even upgrading given speaker housings in same series. I'm not sure they would sell a housing on its own, but you can try.... some ppl. would rather try to fix the housing on their own, but for perfect looks and avoidance of doubt in terms of sound quality you might want to get a replacement... soldering skills might be required. AFAIK they don't run a stock of old parts, so as long as it is parts still in production chances are good....

why not just taking the broken speaker to their Service partner... some 30min drive

Last edited by mazpri; Today at 07:06 AM. Reason: google maps
mazpri is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off