Canton owner's 'club' - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 544 Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysabone View Post
Can anyone attest to the quality of the Canton subs? Particularly the 10.2 and 12.2.
IMO these are the same price/quality ratio as your GLEs, havn't heard of any complaints, two 8.2 might in some cases be the better option, get back to your dealer to help you with the setup/decision, sounds like he knows what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 544 Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Hello fellow Canton owners...

I recently moved to The Netherlands and I'm really set on getting some Canton speakers to power my new system... I do however have a major doubt.

I will use my system mostly for movies, but I will also listen to music regularly (70/30 probably). For the moment I'm planning no rear or side channels (i.e. only 3.1 max), and my doubt is mostly regarding the "type" of system that will be best suited for my needs: a tower speaker with a strong woofer (possibly GLE 490), or a thin tower (e.g. CD 190) with a 8" sub.

Due to "wife" requirements, I'm also very limited on my center channel, so I could definitely go for the CD 150, but nothing much larger. As such, I'm considering two options:

1) 2x GLE 490 (possibly without sub? Or perhaps I can add it in the future only)
2) 2x CD 190 + sub (which one? can I get something reasonable for ~200EUR?) + CD 150 (or no center channel also)

Option #2 is clearly more expensive, and I'm not so sure if it will be that much better (or better at all?)! Any tips? This will be my first time owning tower speakers...

Thanks!
Leo.
post #543 of 544 Old 03-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leohuf View Post
Hello fellow Canton owners...

I recently moved to The Netherlands and I'm really set on getting some Canton speakers to power my new system... I do however have a major doubt.

I will use my system mostly for movies, but I will also listen to music regularly (70/30 probably). For the moment I'm planning no rear or side channels (i.e. only 3.1 max), and my doubt is mostly regarding the "type" of system that will be best suited for my needs: a tower speaker with a strong woofer (possibly GLE 490), or a thin tower (e.g. CD 190) with a 8" sub.

Due to "wife" requirements, I'm also very limited on my center channel, so I could definitely go for the CD 150, but nothing much larger. As such, I'm considering two options:

1) 2x GLE 490 (possibly without sub? Or perhaps I can add it in the future only)
2) 2x CD 190 + sub (which one? can I get something reasonable for ~200EUR?) + CD 150 (or no center channel also)

Option #2 is clearly more expensive, and I'm not so sure if it will be that much better (or better at all?)! Any tips? This will be my first time owning tower speakers...

Thanks!
Leo.
looks like there are not many out there knowin CD and GLE.
You have to test listen and decide what fits best for you personally in that room.

Just a hint: while the GLE is sort of a budget entry point to get most sound quality out of a limited budget, the CD series is all about (WAF n Metrosex compatible) designs tryin to max out on audio quality. I'ts sort of encrypted in the marketing blah as well.
Personally I'd tend towards separate subwoofer and a very good center speaker when movies is more important though....
post #544 of 544 Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I guess I just joined the Canton club. Until recently I'd never heard of the brand. Not even sure where my nearest dealer would be. Just happened to stumble upon these when looking for a sub to complement my Marantz sr5008. After realizing the build quality of the sub, I decided to look further into the brand and quickly replaced my JBL Northridge series center and surrounds with Canton. Love the results!

It's a pretty humble setup, but quite an upgrade for me and the family is thoroughly impressed, so I guess I did right.

I'm still using AR 318ps for the mains... I've been happy enough with those to not ditch them. Hardly a perfect match for the Cantons, but since the center is doing most of the work and Audessey is "correcting" them, I'm ok with keeping them.

Here's the 7.1 setup, cobbled together via accessories4less, craigslist, and ebay:

Mains: Acoustic Research 318ps
Center: Canton GLE 455.2
Sides + Rears: Canton Plus S
Sub: Canton AS-100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker