Canton owner's 'club' - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

Old 06-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
Thanks, Fr. John. I wouldn't have guessed they are metric. Did they improve the sound at all?
I doubt it as I have my speakers sitting on hard surface anyhow.

They do however make it way easier to move around.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I just bought a pair of Canton GLE 436 bookshelves from amazon warehouse for $190 like-new. They arrive next week. Super excited.

I also noticed amazon had these: https://www.amazon.com/Canton-03369-.../dp/B00ZCZJZ6S

Why are they selling the 476 for $300 under retail as seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEXNLLQ...RJKH41ZWEYJ4GD

?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldis View Post
So I just bought a pair of Canton GLE 436 bookshelves from amazon warehouse for $190 like-new. They arrive next week. Super excited.

I also noticed amazon had these: https://www.amazon.com/Canton-03369-.../dp/B00ZCZJZ6S

Why are they selling the 476 for $300 under retail as seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEXNLLQ...RJKH41ZWEYJ4GD

?
Nice choice! Canton isn't very wellknow over there I see but they are great speakers! Very much details and crisp! I own 490 (496 are the newer version) and 420 as surrounds. Very satisfide with them!

I live in Sweden so I can buy them cheap. 3990 swedish kronor. Around 460 usd for a pair of 490. Check and see if you can buy them from here. www.netonnet.se or something like that ☺
Old 07-12-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldis View Post

?
I'd say the cheaper price looks about right for a single speaker, the higher price should be a pair of speakers. The odd thing with these amazon offers is they come from amazon directly and neither of the two gets all the details right in product data. So you gotta ask amazon why they screwed it up so badly...
check for reasonable pricing in Europe first to find out about real retail prices, e.g. http://skinflint.co.uk/?fs=canton+GLE+436&in= (these have VAT included - roughly 20% in UK/DE/AT)
btw your new bookshelves need a sub-woofer to shine below 100Hz
Old 07-18-2016, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miney View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by feds27

Hi Miney, Welcome to the club.

I'm running my Karats on a Marantz SR-8001 which is a very warm sounding receiver.

Curiosity has me wondering what other Canton owners are using to drive their speakers?

Rotel RX-1052 here.
Using the RX-1052 to power Ergo 1002DCs. Love the combo! Not at all fatiguing, as some others have found with bookshelf models.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I picked up a set of Canton Fonum 701s today on CraigsList (got them at a good price) ... and just have a couple of questions about them.

They are listed at 4-8 ohms (normal Canton labeling). They work fine with my Denon so far, but okay to assume I'll be fine since my Denon normally recommends no less than 6 ohms? I don't go crazy blasting my speakers anyway.

Positioning won't matter with these much, will they, since they are front ported?

And how good (or bad) is this model considered when compared to most Cantons? Sort of mid-level Canton? I think it was a late 90s model, and expensive at the time, but haven't found many reviews on them in english. They sound good to my ears though, but I'm an audio pauper ... most of the speakers I have owned so far hasn't exactly been high end stuff.

Woofers look intact, rubber looks good, no rips,no dry rot, so should be good there. If there is anything else I should check on these, let me know.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 07-31-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
... but okay to assume I'll be fine since my Denon normally recommends no less than 6 ohms? I don't go crazy blasting my speakers anyway.
Positioning won't matter with these much, will they, s...?
...And how good (or bad) is this model considered when compared to most Cantons? ...
Cantons behave like typical 6 Ohms, hence they r showing 4-8Ohms loads just as specified.
Positioning is same as with all other floor standers, just try what works best in your room.
The Fonum was positioned below Ergo series, just as GLE today. Cheaper housing just maybe sometimes a not as good x-over board, but same tech in general. Go hifi-wiki.de for more details.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
Cantons behave like typical 6 Ohms, hence they r showing 4-8Ohms loads just as specified.
Positioning is same as with all other floor standers, just try what works best in your room.
The Fonum was positioned below Ergo series, just as GLE today. Cheaper housing just maybe sometimes a not as good x-over board, but same tech in general. Go hifi-wiki.de for more details.
Thanks for the info. So I should be good as far as the receiver goes.

I started testing them a bit more and ran into an issue with higher pitched sounds/smoothness (mentioned this in a diagnosing problem post here). I didn't notice it at first, but for music that isn't bass-heavy, some of the higher pitched sounds come across as a bit rough/less smooth than they should be ... it's weird.

Not sure if it's normal for this model or something isn't working right.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So I should be good as far as the receiver goes.

I started testing them a bit more and ran into an issue with higher pitched sounds/smoothness (mentioned this in a diagnosing problem post here). I didn't notice it at first, but for music that isn't bass-heavy, some of the higher pitched sounds come across as a bit rough/less smooth than they should be ... it's weird.

Not sure if it's normal for this model or something isn't working right.
I am not sure if the Fonums use the same tweeters as the Ergos; but my Ergos do not sound harsh at all. I have listened to music for 10 hours without fatigue. But they do reveal everything in the source - the good and the bad. Before you convict the Cantons of being the weak link, try a different CD player (or whatever) if you can borrow one. Also, if they are like the Ergos, you won't hear the best of the tweeters if they are pointed directly at your listening position. Canton recommends no more than 15 degrees of toe-in as the tweeters are designed to sound best slightly off axis. So positioning is important; just different than most speakers.

Hope you come to love your Cantons!
Doe Doe likes this.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
I am not sure if the Fonums use the same tweeters as the Ergos; but my Ergos do not sound harsh at all. I have listened to music for 10 hours without fatigue. But they do reveal everything in the source - the good and the bad. Before you convict the Cantons of being the weak link, try a different CD player (or whatever) if you can borrow one. Also, if they are like the Ergos, you won't hear the best of the tweeters if they are pointed directly at your listening position. Canton recommends no more than 15 degrees of toe-in as the tweeters are designed to sound best slightly off axis. So positioning is important; just different than most speakers.

Hope you come to love your Cantons!

Thanks for the reply.

I figured out the problem with the help of some others in this forum ... the problem was the woofer on one of the speakers (the one right above the tweeter). It sort of sounded shaky, almost rattling or rough. I noticed if I simply touched the woofer, the problem went away.

Opened it up, and noticed the foam behind that woofer was a bit further back in the case than I would think normal. So I pulled the foam up closer to where the woofer normally goes, carefully put the wire in the center so it wouldn't touch the sides -- and all seems good. Nice and smooth.

I do notice however that yeah, the tweeters will sort of fully reveal the source. It's much more detailed than speakers I normally use. But overall, I think they sound great. Much, much better than the speakers I have used before.

I played a little with toe-in, but couldn't decide if I liked it better, so put them both even again.

Some quick questions:

Do you think I need a sub with these? I may need one for my center/backs, but these seem to get pretty low.

And what center would you recommend? Ideally one that doesn't cost a fortune ... been getting my speakers from craigslist, so I can keep an eye out for any cantons listed.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Someone local to me has a Canton AV 700 center for sale... would that be an okay-ish match for my Fonums?

I might also be able to pick up a pair of Nestor 303s, which, again, a good match, or no?

I previously tried a CD 50 as a center, but that was too dinky sounding in comparison.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Someone local to me has a Canton AV 700 center for sale... would that be an okay-ish match for my Fonums?
I previously tried a CD 50 as a center, but that was too dinky sounding in comparison.
The AV700 is a much better center speaker compared to a CD series. The CD series is more about looks tryin to match certain AV gear for little money. The AV700 should match the Fonums with similar quality, voice is very clear, but sized for rooms not too big. Bass is weak so you should route sub 100Hz to a sub woofer or the fronts - e.g. it's not a "wide" center speaker in Dolby Surround terms....
Doe Doe likes this.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
The AV700 is a much better center speaker compared to a CD series. The CD series is more about looks tryin to match certain AV gear for little money. The AV700 should match the Fonums with similar quality, voice is very clear, but sized for rooms not too big. Bass is weak so you should route sub 100Hz to a sub woofer or the fronts - e.g. it's not a "wide" center speaker in Dolby Surround terms....
Thanks for the reply.

Although the AV700 sort of looks just like a CD50 (and later CD series), it is a little fatter ... but it's not like one of the GLE/Ergo centers. I wasn't sure if it'd be closer to the CDs in sound, or Fonum. The CD50 I currently have has a bit of a 'tin can' effect ... not exactly a full sound.

As for bass, I think the AV 700 is rated down to 40ish ... misleading specs? Right now I'm sort of sub-less (or to be exact, lacking in a powered sub), but eventually plan to get some sort of proper sub.

Currently I have my CD50 not hooked up, and am using a Pioneer C22 as my center -- just looking for something better than that. Obviously it doesn't come close to matching my sides in timbre, although I'm not a stickler in that regard.

And not sure if I can get the AV 700 or not... it's part of a CL deal, but the seller has been taking his time about it. Originally I was simply going to sell him my Canton Plus C sub (okay sub, but my Fonums have more bass) ... he delayed, mentioned he had a spare AV 700, and maybe we could do a swap ... I was thinking the AV 700 + a little cash for the Canton sub would be fair. But it's taken him like a week to even get back to me as to if his AV 700 even works... least motivated buyer/seller I ever ran across... so who knows.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 08-16-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miney View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by feds27

Hi Miney, Welcome to the club.

I'm running my Karats on a Marantz SR-8001 which is a very warm sounding receiver.

Curiosity has me wondering what other Canton owners are using to drive their speakers?

Rotel RX-1052 here.
I know this is an old post; but I am running Ergo 1002DCs off a RX-1052. So sweet!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Karat M 10 or Karat 20? What is the difference between the M and non M lines. Even the dimensions of these two models would help.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:56 PM

where to find info about old Cantons

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with Karat M 10 or Karat 20? What is the difference between the M and non M lines. Even the dimensions of these two models would help.
For a quick reference always look here first: http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Lautsprecher
For models after Y2k you should find reviews/pics via google search - be prepared to use translate.google for German pages, i prefer to search for pics as you usually find articles or reviews better that way.---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker