Canton owner's 'club' - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #631 of 693 Old 12-20-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni2200 View Post
Sorry I did se before I have the Canton Reference 5, you not gonna like.... you're going to love.

I am enjoying the towers so far. They are a bit more detailed than my Jamo towers and a little brighter and a little better in terms of imaging, but the Jamo C809's went deeper on bass. I imagine the Canton's are still breaking in... so I hope the bass impact will improve. I'm also breaking in a new Outlaw 7140 amp which is a little disappointing so far compared to my previous B&K Ref 125.7 amp... just not as refined with music.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 693 Old 12-20-2016, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I never hear the Jamo speaker, I hear Sonus Faber Olympic, B&W 802D2/803D3, Monitor Audio PL300, Mcintosh XR100 and the XR100 was one more close to the bass from Canton,(all different rooms). What you using Pre-amp, cd players/turntable? acoustics panel/bass trap? room size?
post #633 of 693 Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
where is the bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
... so I hope the bass impact will improve. I'm also breaking in a new Outlaw 7140 amp which is a little disappointing so far compared to ....
I wonder about that amp if its capable of providing up to 280W/480W at 4Ohms when using just two amp sections. You might try a biamping with that one to find out if lack of bass is due to power constraints per channel...
On the other side you might just face bass issues because the room modes behaving differently with the positioning and characteristics of those different speakers...
But the most likely reason is you just got used to an extended bass trimming in the Jamo 809s design - in case this graph can be trusted...
http://audio.com.pl/images/5/4/7/21547-max_jamo_c_lab.jpg (taken from here)
Those Cantons are all about linearity and clarity and you may and have to tweak the sound using the knobs on your pre amps...

post #634 of 693 Old 12-21-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I am enjoying the towers so far. They are a bit more detailed than my Jamo towers and a little brighter and a little better in terms of imaging, but the Jamo C809's went deeper on bass. I imagine the Canton's are still breaking in... so I hope the bass impact will improve. I'm also breaking in a new Outlaw 7140 amp which is a little disappointing so far compared to my previous B&K Ref 125.7 amp... just not as refined with music.
My Canton's (not this series) took about 80-100 hours to break in so give it some time and then they will start to really sing! 😊
post #635 of 693 Old 12-22-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
I wonder about that amp if its capable of providing up to 280W/480W at 4Ohms when using just two amp sections. You might try a biamping with that one to find out if lack of bass is due to power constraints per channel...

Those Cantons are all about linearity and clarity and you may and have to tweak the sound using the knobs on your pre amps...

The Cantons are currently bi-amped and I am using a Marantz AV7702mkII pre-amp with an Outlaw Model 7140 amp. Still, I don't think bi-amping would be much of a factor unless I was playing very loud... and that is not the case. The Jamo C809 woofer cone area is approximately the same as the Vento 5DC's even though Jamo lists 7" as woofer size and Canton lists 8". Neither actually measure to the stated size. It seems all speaker manufacturers overstate driver size. I suspect mfr's are using the basket outer diameter which is misleading given it can't be measured without removing the driver and given cone area is more indicative of bass capability.

I am running without EQ right now and do not plan to run/use Audyssey until I feel the speakers are broken in... the amp too. By that time, hopefully the bass will have improved. It's not bad... it just does not extend as deep as the Jamo's. It could be that I was getting more bass reinforcement from the walls since the Jamo's are rear ported and the towers are only 20" or so from the wall. I actually prefer the down-firing port of the Canton's as I think there is less chance of unwanted reflections.

Sean
post #636 of 693 Old 12-23-2016, 07:01 AM

The Canton Ref5 are hi-end speaker for get everything for then need good Pre/amp/cd capable the such, and really power hungry.
post #637 of 693 Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you suggesting the Marantz AV7702mkII pre-amp and that 140 Watts per channel (at 8 ohms), and bi-amped to boot, is not adequate for the Canton's ? (I think not). The Vento Reference 5 DC's are only slightly less efficient than my previous towers (Jamo C809).

I am happy with the Canton's... just thought they would be a little stronger in the bass department. I'm actually not a bass freak as I do not use a subwoofer and I definitely do not care for bass heavy music.

Sean
post #638 of 693 Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM

Sean
My room size are 12X16 I use a Canton vento subwoofer with Canton 809 but now with Canton Ref5 I do not use the Sub anymore because Ref5 are so good so deep, so right(?). I use a lot (14) gik bass trap in my room. I have hear a lot of the speaker in store B&W 803d3/802d2, sonus faber olympic(no bass), Mcintosh RX100 and other and don't go deep like Ref5 but can by my room?
post #639 of 693 Old 12-25-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting the Marantz AV7702mkII pre-amp and that 140 Watts per channel (at 8 ohms), and bi-amped to boot, is not adequate for the Canton's ? (I think not). The Vento Reference 5 DC's are only slightly less efficient than my previous towers (Jamo C809).

I am happy with the Canton's... just thought they would be a little stronger in the bass department. I'm actually not a bass freak as I do not use a subwoofer and I definitely do not care for bass heavy music.
I do not kwon about Marantz AV7702mkII , I have heard the Marantz reference cd player it is really good. Just for you know I already use Emotiva UPS-1 and for me are +- with Cantos and the Parasound C2 is better with Cantos, now I have Mcintosh C2200 much better. Only think I kwon you have really great speaker.
post #640 of 693 Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The Cantons are currently bi-amped and I am using a Marantz AV7702mkII pre-amp with an Outlaw Model 7140 amp. Still, I don't think bi-amping would be much of a factor unless I was playing very loud... and that is not the case. The Jamo C809 woofer cone area is approximately the same as the Vento 5DC's even though Jamo lists 7" as woofer size and Canton lists 8". Neither actually measure to the stated size. It seems all speaker manufacturers overstate driver size. I suspect mfr's are using the basket outer diameter which is misleading given it can't be measured without removing the driver and given cone area is more indicative of bass capability.

I am running without EQ right now and do not plan to run/use Audyssey until I feel the speakers are broken in... the amp too. By that time, hopefully the bass will have improved. It's not bad... it just does not extend as deep as the Jamo's. It could be that I was getting more bass reinforcement from the walls since the Jamo's are rear ported and the towers are only 20" or so from the wall. I actually prefer the down-firing port of the Canton's as I think there is less chance of unwanted reflections.
I hope Your relationship with the Ventos is growing. It took a while for my Ergos' bass to ripen, even though I got them used.
One thing I'm curious about, never having used speakers with a down-firing port, does the flooring make a difference in the sound quality? Does the speaker sound different on carpet than on a bare floor? I am lucky to have my Ergos on concrete with an area rug a few inches in front of them.
post #641 of 693 Old 12-26-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
I hope Your relationship with the Ventos is growing. It took a while for my Ergos' bass to ripen, even though I got them used.
One thing I'm curious about, never having used speakers with a down-firing port, does the flooring make a difference in the sound quality? Does the speaker sound different on carpet than on a bare floor? I am lucky to have my Ergos on concrete with an area rug a few inches in front of them.

The Ventos do seem very capable but I think I may be having some issues with my amp and pre-pro combo. I have been running surround modes for several weeks now just to break in the Ventos and some new KEF speakers. I have a KEF LS50 for the center channel and I have been hearing distortion in the upper frequencies that appeared to be coming solely from the center channel. This morning I was listening to music in stereo thru the Cantons and I was hearing a similar distortion. I suspect either the new Outlaw amp has a problem or it is just a bad pairing with the Marantz pre-pro. The Outlaw 7140 appears to have very high gain and perhaps it is simply too high for the Marantz.

I think I swapped out too many components at once because now it is impossible to evaluate what is working and what is not. I think the Cantons have a permanent home but I may end up replacing the amp or even the Marantz.

As for your comment about the flooring, I do have padded carpeting in my room. I'm certain a concrete floor even with a throw rug would add to the bass but not necessarily in a good way.... but hopefully EQ would offer some correction. The down firing port likely allows for closer placement to a wall but on the flip side it might need more separation from say an entertainment center at its side.

Sean
post #642 of 693 Old 12-26-2016, 05:29 PM

Mine are 35" from the wall.
post #643 of 693 Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 AM

The Ergo 1002DCs have front firing ports. They are pretty sensitive to placement and sound best with a smaller toe-in than my Boston Acoustics so that the axises (Axi?) cross behind me.
post #644 of 693 Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
The Ergo 1002DCs have front firing ports. They are pretty sensitive to placement and sound best with a smaller toe-in than my Boston Acoustics so that the axises (Axi?) cross behind me.
Same here.
post #645 of 693 Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Anyone here with the gle490.2's??? Looking for a nice tower, with some good bass.
post #646 of 693 Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post
Anyone here with the gle490.2's??? Looking for a nice tower, with some good bass.
Using GLE 490, not .2. Really like them. Give me a good, big and detailed sound. Have them in 7.2.4-setup and almost only movies. For what they cost they are really, really great! I recommend them.

If you want even better sound, go with Ventos or something like that. But they cost there after! 😉
post #647 of 693 Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Using GLE 490, not .2. Really like them. Give me a good, big and detailed sound. Have them in 7.2.4-setup and almost only movies. For what they cost they are really, really great! I recommend them.

If you want even better sound, go with Ventos or something like that. But they cost there after! 😉
Are the 490's made in germany? I am guessing not?
post #648 of 693 Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Vento Reference 5 DC 8" 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker Black

Hi,

I am starting to build my HT room, and collecting items for it.

I was looking at these speakers. I want to put them in fake wall, and cover with fabric.

Vento Reference 5 DC 8" 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker Black Each

a pair is ~$3250.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
post #649 of 693 Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Are the 490's made in germany? I am guessing not?
All Canton's are made in Germany.
post #650 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Any possibility of listening to some music(Rock/POP) with just the 490's, no sub? Just want your thoughts on the bass. I would GREATLY appreciate it. I have no way of listening to these things, as they are mail order only for me. Thanks!
post #651 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Any possibility of listening to some music(Rock/POP) with just the 490's, no sub? Just want your thoughts on the bass. I would GREATLY appreciate it. I have no way of listening to these things, as they are mail order only for me. Thanks!
I have made some testing in stereo without subs now. My room are about 215ft2 (20m2) with an open door and acoustic treatments with absorbents.

The bass sounds great with both pop and rock. The 490 are hooked up with Pioneer SC-95. But be aware that they take time to break in. Mine took about 80-100 hours before I heard a real difference!

But at the same time, I'm more to movies! Not so much music, and when I do I listening in Dolby Surround (upmix).

I have read that others with all kind of speakers that from the beginning only have listen in 2.0 and then they have buy a sub and find a whole new world that give them much more! But it have alot to do with what kind of sub you have. Something to think about.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

Last edited by westbergjoakim; 12-31-2016 at 06:05 AM.
post #652 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I have made some testing in stereo without subs now. My room are about 215ft2 (20m2) with an open door and acoustic treatments with absorbents.

The bass sounds great with both pop and rock. The 490 are hooked up with Pioneer SC-95. But be aware that they take time to break in. Mine took about 80-100 hours before I heard a real difference!

But at the same time, I'm more to movies! Not so much music, and when I do I listening in Dolby Surround (upmix).

I have read that others with all kind of speakers that from the beginning only have listen in 2.0 and then they have buy a sub and find a whole new world that give them much more! But it have alot to do with what kind of sub you have. Something to think about.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
Thanks, appreciate it. Now I am deciding between the chrono and the gle. The chrono is $270 more per speaker, so another $540. Wondering if it is actually worth it.
post #653 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate it. Now I am deciding between the chrono and the gle. The chrono is $270 more per speaker, so another $540. Wondering if it is actually worth it.
I wouldn't. Take it up another serie or so. Then you will hear difference!
post #654 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
The Chrono SL Serie has a high gloss finish and looks absolutely awesome. Great paint job.

I don't know if it's worth it to you but the Chrono is a bit higher than the GLE. Some say they are almost equal. I had the GLE and stepped up to Chrono SL. It's better in the highs and low.

All the speakers are Germany handmade. And painted and polished manually.. Real craftsmanship..

Follow their FB. They will show bits of their production process... Love to see how high end speakers are laying on a wooden production frame with pieces of old carpet to protect the paint.
Bit of an old style basic low budget production process.

Panasonic TX-P65VTW60 | Panasonic DMP-BDT500 | Asus Chromebox OpenELEC triple boot | Pioneer SC-LX89 | 6 X Monitor Audio Apex 10 | Canton Chrono SL 590 black | Klipsch R-115W | BK Sub XXLS400 | Zalman HTPC | Harmony Ultimate

Last edited by wackid; 12-31-2016 at 05:37 PM.
post #655 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 PM

EF9500,
If you can get the Canton Vento $2170.00 are big step lot of the bass great sound speaker.
post #656 of 693 Old 12-31-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check out Accessories4Less. I believe they are Canton authorized and they have clearance pricing on a number of different Canton lines, and most of the stock is new rather than refurbs that you would typically find on A4L.

Sean
post #657 of 693 Old 01-01-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of A4less, does anyone have any experience with the cd 300? It's tempting to give it a try based on sale price of 500 but more of 2000 for the pair.
post #658 of 693 Old 01-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax View Post
Speaking of A4less, does anyone have any experience with the cd 300? It's tempting to give it a try based on sale price of 500 but more of 2000 for the pair.
I believe the Ergo series is (or was) just below the Ventos. Please correct me if I am wrong. While the don't seem to be available on A4less; the Ergo 609DC were until recently from Amazon. I hope that does not bode ill for the Ergo line. There are a pair of 900DCs and 102DCs on Ebay in the USA:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&ul_noapp=true
post #659 of 693 Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsham View Post
Hi,

I am starting to build my HT room, and collecting items for it.

I was looking at these speakers. I want to put them in fake wall, and cover with fabric.

Vento Reference 5 DC 8" 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker Black Each

a pair is ~$3250.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
If you use just for HT and subwoofer (no stereo music) the Reference 7 do almost the same. I have Ref5 is it hard to beat , sound good like 4 times more speakers I hear in store .
post #660 of 693 Old 01-09-2017, 06:32 AM

The Ergo 102 DCs on the 'Bay have just been reduced to $599. It's a lovely looking pair in cherry. The only reason they have lasted is that the USA is ignorant about Canton but go ga-ga over lesser B&W stuff.
I am not the seller; but I'd be the buyer if my wife would let me put towers in the family room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker