Canton owner's 'club' - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #691 of 709 Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
Thanks, Maz.
Remind me what are you using to drive your Cantons for music? I assume you are pleased.
In analog times i preferred the bigger Kenwood ones, it was sad to see how this company went south. For the digtial age i switched to Anthem AV. ARC is simply awesome. For two passive subs i use a separate Velodyne since Canton had nothing comparable, didn't want to run power cables to where the subs are...

The brand of amplifiers is not so important, better stay with what you like and got used to IMHO. Rule of thumb is to have the nominal RMS wattage or more available at 4Ω. If you really use them at high volume go even higher.
In case the additional power amp is not rated high enough or of lesser quality you might try passive horizontal bi-amping. Then the bass section should see roughly 3/4 of the rated RMS wattage. You need to SPL calibrate the amps. Normally only active bi-amping is worth it. Not really easy but a lot cheaper with digital active xovers becoming affordable lately...in an analog receiver world you would use tape/monitor loop to route the bass section with active xover to the external amp. So not really for analog purists or non geeks. The old Ergo RC manual is a good read for basics while the RC box was not a xover but a simple equalizer for room modes, unfortunately they ripped most of the valuable infos in the generic speaker manual. But back then there was no internet, so....

Its way easier to simply add a good enough amplifier, i think anything else is just for proovin a point when money or tech isn't there.

Last edited by mazpri; 04-04-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: what counts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 709 Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
In analog times i preferred the bigger Kenwood ones, it was sad to see how this company went south. For the digtial age i switched to Anthem AV. ARC is simply awesome. For two passive subs i use a separate Velodyne since Canton had nothing comparable, didn't want to run power cables to where the subs are...

The brand of amplifiers is not so important, better stay with what you like and got used to IMHO. Rule of thumb is to have the nominal RMS wattage or more available at 4Ω. If you really use them at high volume go even higher.
In case the additional power amp is not rated high enough or of lesser quality you might try passive horizontal bi-amping. Then the bass section should see roughly 3/4 of the rated RMS wattage. You need to SPL calibrate the amps. Normally only active bi-amping is worth it. Not really easy but a lot cheaper with digital active xovers becoming affordable lately...in an analog receiver world you would use tape/monitor loop to route the bass section with active xover to the external amp. So not really for analog purists or non geeks. The old Ergo RC manual is a good read for basics while the RC box was not a xover but a simple equalizer for room modes, unfortunately they ripped most of the valuable infos in the generic speaker manual. But back then there was no internet, so....

Its way easier to simply add a good enough amplifier, i think anything else is just for proovin a point when money or tech isn't there.
Mazpri,

I am waiting for a Primare I32 to arrive. It is a class D; but a highly regarded one with 230 WPC @ 4 Ohms. I auditioned a Belles Aria and really liked it; but it has no adjustable balance control and I have a pronounced intermittent problem with one ear. The Primare has been compared favorably with the the Belles Soloist 1, which is the Aria's big brother.

My Ergos are DCs; not RCs, and do not have room correction; but your reference is very interesting. Thanks for all the help.

Anyone else out there,

If you have any experience with the Primare/Canton sound, I'd love to hear about it.

What I love about my Ergos is the clarity and detail, natural reproduction of female vocals, and large soundstage with each performer pinned to a specific spot. Those qualities increased from a 55W Nakamichi, to the 100W Rotel, to the Creek, and now I hope to the 120/230 W Primare.
post #693 of 709 Old 04-12-2017, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotronics View Post
Hey all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but here goes...

I have a pair of CA-30's that are in need of some love/need some adjustments. I cannot for the life of me find a service manual anywhere. Any chance one of you has one in any language? Even a manual for one of the other speakers in this line might help.

Thanks in advance!
Just ran across this and checking to see if you got anywhere with your CA30's? Always wanted to pick up a pair but the CA line is one of the hardest speaks to get a line on.

ADS-1590/1230/910/SAT6/SUB8 Canton-CA10/CA15/EC-P1/Ergo RC-A/CM-500/CT1000/CT2000 JBL-L300 Klipsch-La Scala

post #694 of 709 Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what would be a good av receiver or separates to power canton chrono 508.2 505.2 502.2?
post #695 of 709 Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
what would be a good av receiver or separates to power canton chrono 508.2 505.2 502.2?
Any receiver that delivers more than 130W@4Ω or 70W@8Ω into 2 channels and more than 80W@4Ω or 50W@8Ω into 5 channels should do well. Beware, most AV receivers get rated in power for only a single channel driven or use other marketing scam techniques. So always check reviews.

For a fixed limit up to a 5.x setup I'd choose Anthem MRX310 or MRX520, for up to 7.x the MRX510. With more such surrounds or matching Chrono OnWalls for full Atmos/DTS:X setup the MRX1120 should just be OK. But in case of more demanding speakers I'd lean towards MRX720 or AVM60 and additional power amps. (and yes I know their marketing pros screwed up the model naming scheme)
post #696 of 709 Old 04-23-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Vento Reference 5 DC

In case anyone has interest, I've put my piano black pair up for sale in the classifieds.

Sean
post #697 of 709 Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
In case anyone has interest, I've put my piano black pair up for sale in the classifieds.
Well, I took the Reference 5s off of stash64s hands. Funny, I was considering some PSB Imagine 2Ts from someone. He had a friend with a pair of Reference 5 DCs who was unhappy with the bass as well and hasn't been able to sell them. I'm a long time PSB owner (Synchrony 2s) and will compare these. Amp is a Musical Fidelity A5cr which should make the Cantons happy. They'll be on the short wall of a family room opening into a kitchen. This may be an appropriate size for these speakers.

If been curious about Cantons for years. FWIW, I'll post my admittedly subjective reactions in the next week or two.
westbergjoakim and 2channel8 like this.
post #698 of 709 Old 05-02-2017, 01:19 PM

I set up the Reference 5 DCs today and my first impression is that they are very detailed and articulate. I believe that expectations of bass from a speaker this size are part, but not all, of the perceived bass problem. After first listen, yes, I would like a little more as well.

Having said that, they just seem accurate. I have limited placement options in a family room but I'll move them around to the extent that I can. If a pair of these come up at the right price, I'd say it's worth it for most listeners.
2channel8 likes this.
post #699 of 709 Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflag View Post
I set up the Reference 5 DCs today and my first impression is that they are very detailed and articulate. I believe that expectations of bass from a speaker this size are part, but not all, of the perceived bass problem. After first listen, yes, I would like a little more as well.

Having said that, they just seem accurate. I have limited placement options in a family room but I'll move them around to the extent that I can. If a pair of these come up at the right price, I'd say it's worth it for most listeners.
I have Canton 3 way towers (Ergo) in my big room and PSB Imagine XBs in my small room. If you are using the PSB sound as a reference, I can see why you may find the Canton's lacking in bass. I like the silky vocals on the PSBs; but these little bookshelfs make the bass way more obvious than the Cantons with two 9" woofers. Too obvious for me. I put plugs in the ports. The Ergos present, to me, a more realistic, detailed, and extended bass. I can hear the thrum of a bass guitar; but also the finger pluck and extended decay and they are coming from a distinct location; not filling the entire soundstage. Also the Ergos don't put big bass in recordings that only have a little. Moreover, the abundant music that I can hear on the Ergos; but is not noticed with the PSBs or Boston Acoustics makes it SEEM like there is less bass; but actually comparing side-by-side the Ergos just have more of EVERYTHING.

I'd be very interested to hear your evaluation after really getting used to the Ref 5s. Please let us know if your feelings change.
post #700 of 709 Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I have Canton 3 way towers (Ergo) in my big room and PSB Imagine XBs in my small room. If you are using the PSB sound as a reference, I can see why you may find the Canton's lacking in bass. I like the silky vocals on the PSBs; but these little bookshelfs make the bass way more obvious than the Cantons with two 9" woofers. Too obvious for me. I put plugs in the ports. The Ergos present, to me, a more realistic, detailed, and extended bass. I can hear the thrum of a bass guitar; but also the finger pluck and extended decay and they are coming from a distinct location; not filling the entire soundstage. Also the Ergos don't put big bass in recordings that only have a little. Moreover, the abundant music that I can hear on the Ergos; but is not noticed with the PSBs or Boston Acoustics makes it SEEM like there is less bass; but actually comparing side-by-side the Ergos just have more of EVERYTHING.

I'd be very interested to hear your evaluation after really getting used to the Ref 5s. Please let us know if your feelings change.
I did some listening last night after returning from a transatlantic flight, so I was somewhat fatigued. At the risk of sounding like a reviewer, I heard some things on well recorded CDs that I never heard before. If one believes in break in, there's more to come as these have less than 200 hours on them.

The PSBs that were replaced were Synchrony 2 towers. I never felt the need to use the plugs. I still have a 5.1 channel Synchrony setup in the same room, but with different sources and amplification (Anthem AVM50 with ARC, Anthem, MCA 50, SVS PC-13 Ultra) so a side by side comparison with these would have limited value.

I wonder what a five channel Vento system would sound like....
2channel8 likes this.
post #701 of 709 Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Does anyone have or know where I could find frequency response curves for Canton Ergo 1002s or similar Canton tower? (690)
post #702 of 709 Old 05-13-2017, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflag View Post
I did some listening last night after returning from a transatlantic flight, so I was somewhat fatigued. At the risk of sounding like a reviewer, I heard some things on well recorded CDs that I never heard before. If one believes in break in, there's more to come as these have less than 200 hours on them.

The PSBs that were replaced were Synchrony 2 towers. I never felt the need to use the plugs. I still have a 5.1 channel Synchrony setup in the same room, but with different sources and amplification (Anthem AVM50 with ARC, Anthem, MCA 50, SVS PC-13 Ultra) so a side by side comparison with these would have limited value.

I wonder what a five channel Vento system would sound like....
Greyflag....looking forward for the Canton Ref5, I have one too for 2 channel and home theater as well Canton Vento for center and Vento 807 for surround .
post #703 of 709 Old 05-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
hello everyone

I've just found the CANTON brand...did not know about it. I live in Europe and via Amazon.de they are quite cheaper than in my country
I have not yet purchased a set, due to budget limitations

however, I need to buy in the next 2 or 3 weeks a pair of in-ceiling speaker for the atmos setup
has anyone experience with the inceiling product line from canton ?
I was looking at 2x 965 (installed as Top Middle)

my other speakes are (Front) Boston Ac. and the rest (5.1) Polk Audio

thanks for feedback
post #704 of 709 Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuele Vagnino View Post
hello everyone

I've just found the CANTON brand...did not know about it. I live in Europe and via Amazon.de they are quite cheaper than in my country
I have not yet purchased a set, due to budget limitations

however, I need to buy in the next 2 or 3 weeks a pair of in-ceiling speaker for the atmos setup
has anyone experience with the inceiling product line from canton ?
I was looking at 2x 965 (installed as Top Middle)

my other speakes are (Front) Boston Ac. and the rest (5.1) Polk Audio

thanks for feedback
I'm using Canton Inceiling 465 and they sound really good with much details! So the models above should sound even better. Really pleased with mine!
post #705 of 709 Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 PM

Esoteric Grandioso series ($60k +) using Canton Reference 3K ($15K) for Demo at Shows..
post #706 of 709 Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni2200 View Post
Esoteric Grandioso series ($60k +) using Canton Reference 3K ($15K) for Demo at Shows..
I have a friend who listen to the Esoteric Canton system at Axpona. He said the system sounded ok... but the Esoteric was totally neutral make every thing sound flat.
post #707 of 709 Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 AM

millennial choice

Quote:
Does anyone have or know where I could find frequency response curves for Canton Ergo 1002s or similar Canton tower? (690)
Google says here:

The graph is taken from a German magazine "paper-style" named AUDIO sometime early in this millennium. It wont' get any better than this, i guess.
The freq. response looks superb. Red line is straight, green is measured 10 deg. from above, blue is 30 deg. to the sides. Canton typical hard cut off at 20Hz, anything below 40Hz needs some subwoofer support. Wiki here.
2channel8 likes this.
post #708 of 709 Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
Google says here:

The graph is taken from a German magazine "paper-style" named AUDIO sometime early in this millennium. It wont' get any better than this, i guess.
The freq. response looks superb. Red line is straight, green is measured 10 deg. from above, blue is 30 deg. to the sides. Canton typical hard cut off at 20Hz, anything below 40Hz needs some subwoofer support. Wiki here.
Tausend Dank
post #709 of 709 Old Today, 08:11 AM

From another forum about Canton Reference K3 what is saying : "I got to listen to the Canton Reference K3 today. It was one of my fastest decisions to purchase a pair of speakers ever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker