Canton owner's 'club' - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 525 Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dhoff01 and benclement11: Thanks for the input! I have no problems choosing what sounds best to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 525 Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmeesay View Post

Nice to see a little action on this thread. I only recently discovered Canton a couple months ago during my upgrade process. First I had decided to go for the Monitor Audio RX line after auditioning them, then decided to save of for the GX that's supposed to be released this year, then saw the Canton Vento line. Fell in love with them aesthetically and read some pretty good reviews. I ended up ordering the Vento 855cm in high gloss black from accessories4less.com to test it out and I thought the sound was on par, if not, exceeding the build quality of the speaker. I ended up purchasing the Vento 890DC's at a great price from a retailer in Germany, importing here into the US. It was greatly cheaper that way instead of buying them here in the States. I'm currently running in the 890DC's with about 75 hours in.

Can you tell me which retailer? I'm interested in the Reference 7.2s. Thanks.
post #183 of 525 Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by songmeesay View Post

Nice to see a little action on this thread. I only recently discovered Canton a couple months ago during my upgrade process. First I had decided to go for the Monitor Audio RX line after auditioning them, then decided to save of for the GX that's supposed to be released this year, then saw the Canton Vento line. Fell in love with them aesthetically and read some pretty good reviews. I ended up ordering the Vento 855cm in high gloss black from accessories4less.com to test it out and I thought the sound was on par, if not, exceeding the build quality of the speaker. I ended up purchasing the Vento 890DC's at a great price from a retailer in Germany, importing here into the US. It was greatly cheaper that way instead of buying them here in the States. I'm currently running in the 890DC's with about 75 hours in.

Would you let us know what retailer in Germany? Thanks!
post #184 of 525 Old 01-16-2011, 10:14 PM

http://www.stassen-hifi.com/

The thing is they only take bank wire transfers, but they're a highly regarded company over there. At the time the 890DC's were on sale for $899 Euro but it looks like they jumped back up to $1399 Euro each. Actually it looks like all their prices on the Cantons went up and were perhaps all on sale in December for the holidays. The prices for the old Reference 5 and 7DC doesn't look bad though.
post #185 of 525 Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Feels great to have stumbled onto this site. Just took delivery of my first pair of Cantons. I'll make it short and just say that having been surfing for speakers for some time I came across a pair of CA15's on Ebay last week. Having read so many great reviews about practically any Canton model I ran across site detailing the efficiencies of powered bi/tri-amped speakers. It only took me a few quick strokes to get back to the "buy it now" button and commit. I'm so glad I did, but now i have the task making sure they are 100%mechanically. After unpacking them I removed the rear amp sections and one had all of the wires disconnected. Not a good sign. Everything appears to be there, but I would rather send them both in to get checked.

Talked to Canton in Germany and they could only give me the name of the outfit that purchased the remaining inventory of the CA line. Anyway, I am in search of the schematics/service manual for these and have hit a wall. Hear is what I know about the pair so far:
CA15 1987 to 1990, Retail $6500.00 U.S., Manufacture date of 5/9/87, Tri-amp powered speakers with 100watts to each driver.

Have talked to some techs who have been in the business for some time and I get a blank when I mention Canton to start. Can anybody help me. Would be greatly appreciated.
LL
LL

ADS-1590/1230/910/SAT6/SUB8 Canton-CA10/CA15/EC-P1/Ergo RC-A/CM-500/CT1000/CT2000 JBL-L300 Klipsch-La Scala
post #186 of 525 Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hi folks,

my new wallpaper...enjoy:

-my wallpaper for you all

check the new photos at official site:

http://www.canton.de/en/desktopbilder.htm

Redemption - "Progressive Metal Band"
post #187 of 525 Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Hi everyone,

New here. Before I go on abot my new acquisition, I would be happy to hear from anyone who owns the original Ergos and exchange info about setup, positioning, amplification, cables, whatever.

Bought a nice pair of Ergo Passiv speakers from '86. My first pair of quality speakers was a pair of Quinto 540s which I got in 1981. I enjoyed them for a long time, then hopped onto the audiophile merry-go-round in about '95. I won't bore you with the whole litany of things I went through (Martin-Logan Quest, JM Lab Micro Utopias, Audio Note Kit AN-E, etc.), but suffice it to say that they all did something better than the Cantons, but, always left me unsatisfied in some way or another. Then, a couple of years ago, I picked up a pair of Karat 200s in a thrift store for cheap. I listened to them and discovered that there was indeed something about the Canton sound that I still liked. The Karats do not have the horsepower, but it put the thought into my head to find the Ergo Passiv, which is what I really wanted in '81, but couldn't afford ($2,600, as opposed to $1,000 for the Quinto).

The Ergo P does not show up too often, and I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of having them shipped. This pair was close enough for me to drive to pick them up (and check them out before I bought). I didn't steal them, but I got a fair price, considering that these are in NM condition and have the optional pedestals.

I listen to orchestral music more than anything else, and these are great speakers for symphony orchestra. They are replacing Vienna Acoustic Beethovens (the early version). I like the VAs, but their weakness is in the mid-bass, which really compromises their ability to reproduce the weight and impact of an orchestra. Of course, no speaker can-if that's what you want to hear, buy a ticket! The Cantons, however come much closer. No, they are not quite as detailed, open and spacious sounding as the VAs, but to me, they present a much more convincing overall representaion of an orchestra.

At any rate, I am happy as can be to be back in the fold (and have some money left over!).

Chris
LL
post #188 of 525 Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new on here but..... I just picked up a pair of Canton CA 15's from the local thrift shop for $20. I've never heard of canton before but I know a good thing when I see it. They are missing the power cords so I havent listened to them yet, but I'm very excited to! Let me stress I know nuthing about them.(not even how to hook them up) Any and all info on them would be greatly appreacheated.(like an oweners mann. I can down load?)
Thanks
Kloz75
LL
post #189 of 525 Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
HiFi WIki is an excellent starting point for research. English version lists that model but has no detail beyond the name:
http://www.hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Canton_Loudspeaker

German version does have details of this model in full: (just use Chrome browser with Google translate exension or put the URL into www.translate.google.com)
http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_CA_15
post #190 of 525 Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM

$20 for speakers that cost nearly $7,000 new!?! Info on older Canton models is not easy to come by. The previous poster's links will get you the basic info. Not to insult your intelligence, but these are "active" speakers, meaning that they have power amplifiers built into them (three in each speaker, actually). All you need to do is plug them in, hook up a preamp and you are ready to go.

You say you do not have power cords. Make sure that these are not set for 220V. It should probably say on the back of the speaker, and of course, the power sockets will be different. A lot more Cantons were (and still are) sold in Europe than in the US, so it's a possibility. However, since they were marketed and sold in the US, converting them to 110 may not be that difficult (there may even be a switch on the back!), but even so, you are so far ahead of the game here that it would be worth getting a good voltage converter. I am not an expert on electricity, so it would be good to move carefully here and consult someone knowledable if that is the case.

Good luck!
post #191 of 525 Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Hi guys!

Couple years ago I was saving my money for Ergo 690, when I had like maybe half of the cash for the fronts, my friend from an audio shop gave me a hint about the Vento series - he was selling last of the entire home cinema in the silver color. I took 870's in a true bergain.
And that's how it started

After 6 months the same reseller had another great offer - both 820, also in not-up-to-date silver color in brilliant price. I took it. Last thing was the center speaker - Vento 856. It all works great with Denon 3311.

post #192 of 525 Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM

I called Canton and spoke with Mark (what a great help he was) for well over an hour. He informed me that the power plug was rated for 20 amps and used on ALL CA series speakers and that the 15's would be fine on standard 10 amp. I told him I had 2 unused computer monitor power cables. He said if I was careful I could whittle them down to fit, but not before telling me all the things that could be broken in the amps. He also informed me I could run them off an I-pod. SO after a little time with a dremel I plugged them in and BINGO I was Rock & Rollin! Later I did discover I have a blown tweeter in one or more likely a bad amp. They still sound great (well one sounds great and one sounds good) They have a auto on button and when in the auto mode at low volume the one with the bad tweeter makes a clicking sound in the back. Mark did ask me what I paid for them and when I told him $20. there was a long silence (like "NO WAY") then he said I got a good deal.
So does any one have any advice on my tweeter problem? Should I stop using them?
Thanks
Kloz
P.S. here is the translated specs on the CA15

Canton CA 15
Manufacturer: Canton
Model: CA 15
Year of construction: 1988-1990
Manufactured in: Germany
Color: Mahogany, Black Ash
Dimensions: 31 x 90 x 32 cm (W x H x D)
Weight: 28.1 kg
New price approx: 10000.00 DM = 7,087.498 USD

Technical data

Design: 3-way closed, active
Chassis:
Woofer: 1x 260 mm
Midrange: 1 x 120 mm
Tweeter: 1 x 25 mm aluminum-manganese dome
Performance of the built-in amplifier: 100 watts RMS 3x
Efficiency: not as active
Frequency response: 20 - 30,000 Hz
Transition areas: 350/3500 Hz
Impedance: None, as active

Special Features

Negative feedback by Hall sensors for low and midrange and the tweeter inductive
Switch-
Inputs via RCA and XLR connectors
Speakers durchverbindbar
[edit] Remarks
Other models of the same series:

CA 20
CA 30
LL
LL
post #193 of 525 Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baqx View Post

Hi guys!

Couple years ago I was saving my money for Ergo 690, when I had like maybe half of the cash for the fronts, my friend from an audio shop gave me a hint about the Vento series - he was selling last of the entire home cinema in the silver color. I took 870's in a true bergain.
And that's how it started

After 6 months the same reseller had another great offer - both 820, also in not-up-to-date silver color in brilliant price. I took it. Last thing was the center speaker - Vento 856. It all works great with Denon 3311]

How does that Vento series compare to the Ergo series - i.e. sound characteristics?
post #194 of 525 Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

Hi Miney, Welcome to the club.

I'm running my Karats on a Marantz SR-8001 which is a very warm sounding receiver.

Curiosity has me wondering what other Canton owners are using to drive their speakers?

I'm using a Sherbourn 5/1500A amp and a Anthem Statement D2V to power my Reference 9 DCs, Vento 855 and Karat 702s.
post #195 of 525 Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

How does that Vento series compare to the Ergo series - i.e. sound characteristics?

Well, Vento Series are more like ... mature in "a to b" comparison. They'r more subtle, less noisy and have more to offer in stereo play. Ergo on the other hand are more aggressive, have kind of warmer sound and make more "wow" in home cinema. But when using some good quality audio source, like from Stockfish, Vento outclasses their cousins; scene is larger, but more distant-like, bass goes deeper - but it is not the first thing You pay attention to. But what I like the most is the sound of all-metal made instruments ( trumpets and guitar - pure perfection!).
post #196 of 525 Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, Vento Series are more like ... mature in "a to b" comparison. They'r more subtle, less noisy and have more to offer in stereo play. Ergo on the other hand are more aggressive, have kind of warmer sound and make more "wow" in home cinema. But when using some good quality audio source, like from Stockfish, Vento outclasses their cousins; scene is larger, but more distant-like, bass goes deeper - but it is not the first thing You pay attention to. But what I like the most is the sound of all-metal made instruments ( trumpets and guitar - pure perfection!).

Very well said Baqx...I can confirm your words...only what I see as slight absence is less dynamic and liveness of my Vento 807. I can compare it with the older Karats M50 of friend of mine. Karats have a huge, dynamic sound, but plenty o bass, which is hard to keep under control.

Btw, I seeking for new precise, dynamic amplifier..

Here is my website with some reviews of vento 807:
http://vlasto.sk/others_dir/Canton_Vento_807DC_en.html

post #197 of 525 Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasto View Post

Very well said Baqx...I can confirm your words...only what I see as slight absence is less dynamic and liveness of my Vento 807. I can compare it with the older Karats M50 of friend of mine. Karats have a huge, dynamic sound, but plenty o bass, which is hard to keep under control.

Btw, I seeking for new precise, dynamic amplifier..

Here is my website with some reviews of vento 807:
http://vlasto.sk/others_dir/Canton_Vento_807DC_en.html

Hey Vlasto,

Nice reviews You've got there!
I should only mention the fact, that Vento are also extremely sensitive to power provided - sounded beautiful with Accuphase amp, giving sweetness and strong mid bas with rounded higher levels (so not-metal like!), but harsh with for e.g. Vincent ...
Also, what cable connectors are You using? Currently I've got Qued, but I'm about to replace them... The Chord Bi-wiring was so far the best option, but I only tested a few...
post #198 of 525 Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 AM

In the latest Hi-Fi Choice ( polish edition ) I found review article about Vento 820 - bookshelf speakers.

Due to the fact, that the reviewer was testing some other, higher class speaker right before Vento, he had great reference system for testing:
-Pre: Naim NAC552
-amp: NAP500 / NAP135
-CD: Naim CDs3 / 555PS & Rega Valve Isis

Overal note was 5/5, all article was mostly about pros of speakers, which were: great stereofonic scene, neutral and open sound. Cons: in some systems they can sound too bright; In higher volume sound becomes harsh
overal: Vento 820 shows best features of bookshelves speakers.

Also I found another review (not too flattered), this one You can read by Yourself:
http://www.avguide.com/review/canton...tas-209?page=1

cheers,
Baqx
post #199 of 525 Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys,

after reading this forum for quite a while as a guest, I decided to take part more actively.
As I'm running a 5.1 setup of Canton Vento 820, 856 and Monitor Audio RXFX, I thought this would be a good place to start.

First off, I'm german, so my english might be awkward at times ...
Here in Germany Canton is a quite popular brand of course and it's quite easy to compare it agianst a lot of competitors.
So I did. I was able to listen to the Canton Chrono/Karat series and the phenomenal Reference 9.2. The latter pretty much embarassed every competitor I threw at it (KEF iQ30, Focal Chorsu/Electra compacts, Heco Celan, B&W CM5, etc.). Unfortunately I couldn't afford the Reference Series so I thought the similarily designed Vento would come close, and it did.

As mentioned here before, the frequency response data on the Canton website is of course not the -3db Point. The two of the biggest Hifi maganzines in Germany (Stereo, Audio), though I seldomly approve of their reviews, regularily publish FR measurements of the reviewed speakers in their magazines and on websites.
A few example -3db Points if they haven't been mentioned before:
- Vento 802 (820 should be and is very similar according to my experience): 67hz
- Vento 890: 48hz
- Vento 870: 51hz
- Vento 880: 52hz
- Vento Reference 9/9.2: 48hz(!)
- Vento Reference 3: 46hz
So one should take the numbers on the website with a grain of salt, but Canton is not better or worse in that aspect than a lot of competitors.
You'll need a sub anyway for serious HT, even running big stands in front. I recently bought an excellent SVS SB12-Plus for the lower frequencies and the music playback also benefitted a lot from it.

One thing I observed though running the setup in multi channel modes (either DD or upmix):
While the center delivers an excellent performance as the speech channel in movies, during music playback it is far inferior to even the Vento 820s. That's due to the bigger 18cm(7in?) low/mid speakers in the 820s and it's very noticable with more demanding music. I resorted to 2.1 playback for music mostly because it produces a better soundstage. If I could choose again, I would buy another 820 as a center speaker.

Anyway, the price of the Ventos and Reference 9.2s has dropped quite a bit here in germany, especially when buying used speakers, so I would recommend these line of speakers any day compared to the Ergo/Karat/Chrono series (even compared to the stands of those lines). Also, the Vento and Reference series are imho by far the prettiest Cantons (and some of the best looking of all speakers I know), so at lest I had no worries considering the WAF.

Well, just my two cents so far...
If there's anything I can translate/clarify as a native german speaker, feel free to ask.
post #200 of 525 Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

I have listed my Canton Ergo 5.0 setup in the AVS classifieds. Please PM me if you have any questions about them. Thanks.
post #201 of 525 Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Vlasto,

Nice reviews You've got there!
I should only mention the fact, that Vento are also extremely sensitive to power provided - sounded beautiful with Accuphase amp, giving sweetness and strong mid bas with rounded higher levels (so not-metal like!), but harsh with for e.g. Vincent ...
Also, what cable connectors are You using? Currently I've got Qued, but I'm about to replace them... The Chord Bi-wiring was so far the best option, but I only tested a few...

That's much right, I tried to match my Ventos with Classe CAP 151, and despite of fact, this is very good amplifier, it didn't sound good to me, it lacked the dynamic and it was too soft. I also tried some Denon 2000 IV, but Denon sound is not my right cup of coffee.

I think my Ventos are much softer that lower levels Cantons I know and so I would say they can play well also with little harsh amplifier.

As you write, I can imagine drive them by some ACCUPHASE, that's one of my tips, more tips are here:

(quite expensive for me now, but...:-)) )

- NAD Master M3
- LYNGDORF TDAI 2200
- AUDIONET SAM V2

- BV AUDIO A300SE

- and also the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A was recommended to me by one local distributor.

Do you have some other tips?

About the cables, I use KIMBER 8PR speakers cables and I didn't collaborated with different cables...

Btw, you have great looking HC at your home.

post #202 of 525 Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's much right, I tried to match my Ventos with Classe CAP 151, and despite of fact, this is very good amplifier, it didn't sound good to me, it lacked the dynamic and it was too soft.

If that amplifier is a good one, and it likely is, then it produces clean and stable power. In which case the problem is actually the speaker, most likely because it doesnt have a flat response at all frequencies and has a highly variable resistance. Which to be honest is the case with Cantons. Not only are they 3-8 ohms but it goes all over the place, if you look at the few tests that measure. So these speakers are often difficult to power adequately.
post #203 of 525 Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Does anyone else own the GLE series? I have them and love them. It seems like a lot people own the Vento or Ergo series though. I'm curious what the difference is?

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #204 of 525 Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 AM

If you're looking for a full front set of Canton Vento loudspeakers, Accessories4Less is selling L&R Vento 9s and a Vento 855 CM center for $2,799.99 total. I've had great experiences with the A4L crew--two purchases, both with excellent consultations, unbeatable bargains (if you're considering multiple purchases don't hesitate to call and see what they can do), and extremely quick and professional service (not to mention flawless products). Highly recommended, and that price seems too good to be true.
post #205 of 525 Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Check the AVS classifieds for my mint condition Ergo setup!
post #206 of 525 Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Was there ever a verdict on the canton speakers being too bright?

I'm looking for two floorstanding speakers for 2 channel audio only... been looking closely at the Vento line since I saw them on ebay for around 2800 for the pair for the 870dc

trying to compare them with the psb synchrony towers, imagine towers, or even the totem forest towers for example.

any suggestions would be helpful!
post #207 of 525 Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post

I'm looking for two floorstanding speakers for 2 channel audio only... been looking closely at the Vento line since I saw them on ebay for around 2800 for the pair for the 870dc

trying to compare them with the psb synchrony towers, imagine towers, or even the totem forest towers for example.

What amp are you planning to use with your towers? What do like most that you have listened to so far? Just curious, where did you get the impression that the Cantons are bright?
post #208 of 525 Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:

That's much right, I tried to match my Ventos with Classe CAP 151, and despite of fact, this is very good amplifier, it didn't sound good to me, it lacked the dynamic and it was too soft. I also tried some Denon 2000 IV, but Denon sound is not my right cup of coffee.

I think my Ventos are much softer that lower levels Cantons I know and so I would say they can play well also with little harsh amplifier.

As you write, I can imagine drive them by some ACCUPHASE, that's one of my tips, more tips are here:

(quite expensive for me now, but...:-)) )

- NAD Master M3
- LYNGDORF TDAI 2200
- AUDIONET SAM V2

- BV AUDIO A300SE

- and also the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A was recommended to me by one local distributor.

Do you have some other tips?

About the cables, I use KIMBER 8PR speakers cables and I didn't collaborated with different cables...

Btw, you have great looking HC at your home.

I can assure you....the Vento's only exposed the character of the Classe' which is warm and laid back.
post #209 of 525 Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Does anyone else own the GLE series? I have them and love them. It seems like a lot people own the Vento or Ergo series though. I'm curious what the difference is?

I own them and love them
post #210 of 525 Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post

You are talking about three different sounding speakers...The Psb will have a warmer sound...the Cantons are very romantic with passion. The midrange is lively and the top end is extended nicely. The Totem will be what others call 3D with a very defined top, mid, and bottom end but can be a little to articulate. Out of all three, The Cantons would be my first choice, followed by the Totem.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page