Angstrom vs RBH - Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have narrowed my search for onwall HT speakers down to Angstrom Sonata Series (400 x2 / 200c x1 / 200 x4) and RBH M-Series (WM-30 x3 / WM-24 x4).

I am building a 7 channel system for a dedicated HT featuring a 114" screen.

Cost is not and issue... Which you would choose and why?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Does no one have any insight on either of these lines?

Any info you could share would be very valuable.

Thanks.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Liked: 12
I do not but by the Angstrom website they look like really,really nice speakers. The website is well done too. What kind or prices are we talking about here? How much do the Angstrom speakers typically go for? Also can you find a dealer near you? theres nothing on the website really so I couldn't find a dealer around me.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Angstrom are Canadian Based, and their 400's go for $700-800 US a pair (I think). The RBH are about the same cost (give or take). No local companies carry either line unfortunately.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Well i was just on RHH's website and I l,ike them even better. Very nice speakers from Utah which i like. A US company at least. I sent an email off to RBH to ask some general questions. I have Definitive Technology speakers and love them but am always interested in finding out about other lines. I really wouldn't switch but again am interested in learning about other lines. Check out www.definitivetechnology.com if you want. I mean if your set on these two lines by all means go for it but if your open to others check Definitive Tech. out. They have retail prices rigt on thier website which I love. It gives me a guidline as to what I am looking at when walking into the Def Tech dealer. J.H.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else able to help?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrost View Post

Anyone else able to help?

Yeah I'm sorry I can't help because I never heard either but I figured I'd reply because no one else was. I'm surprised no one else knows anything about these two brands.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 AM

I've heard RBH (the 661s) and liked them, but not for the price compared to ID brands. I didn't run into the Angstroms, but since they've been in business longer than most, they must do something right. The RBH are tough to find and as such, the dealer in my case was in no mood to discount much (no competition). The Angstroms are near impossible to find but can be had from the US distributor with some kind of return policy if there is no dealer near you.

One question: Why are you looking at "plasma speakers" with a FP set up? They're really designed for WAF which is pretty much out the window once the screen goes in. At 114", the audio will pale in comparison to the video with any on-wall speaker regardless of price.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. I am looking for on-wall purely for aesthetics. My theater is very clean from a design perspective, and uncluttering the floorspace will look much better.

I am moving away from my B&W 602's which are currently on stands. The on-wall's I am considering should at least match or surpass the sound produced by the B&W's (or so I am hoping).
post #10 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your comments. I am looking for on-wall purely for aesthetics. My theater is very clean from a design perspective, and uncluttering the floorspace will look much better.

Then I would suggest looking at an acoustically transparent screen with the LCR behind. On-walls are fine for surrounds.

Quote:

I am moving away from my B&W 602's which are currently on stands. The on-wall's I am considering should at least match or surpass the sound produced by the B&W's (or so I am hoping).

Not a chance.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Perhaps, as an alternative to the above choices, consideration might be given to Magnapan's MMG-W for wall placement. You should be able to rustle up some threads with a search.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #12 of 14 Old 02-17-2007, 06:20 AM

If you go to the RBH thread you will see that everyone that owns them is happy with the product.

Hard to find a delaer but you can call Brian at RBH and he can give you a name of a delaer in you area.

I am getting ready to purchase a set from a local dealer and he is willing to discout of retail by 10 to 15% depending on what other equipment I purchase from him. The other local dealer I talked with was MSRP only and he really tried to move me into another more expensive line. You just have to contact several dealers and find one willing to work with you.

Good luck.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-17-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
JFrost, I certainly can appreciate having a room with clean lines with a large screen, however I think you are really going to miss out on an opportunity to add a quality soundstage.

An on-wall designed speaker with a screen that large will look odd IMHO. Plus, onwalls just cannot really compete with in-walls or freestanding speakers. I certainly can recommend a quality sounding on-wall speaker, but none I would suggest to be mated with a large screen.

If freestanding is out, then look at in-walls. Show us a pick of your room and we might be able to give you a different opinion. But, as I understand your room at this point, I think an on-wall would look odd.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2007, 03:49 PM

If your not concerned with money then why not go for in wall speakers? I am a VERY happy RBH owner for the money I spent. Their inwalls versions of their signature line look promising, particularly the SI-6100 which is an inwall version of their T-1 flagship speaker. They also have a product called CinemaSite which looks to be a remarkable solution for a beautiful and custom HT room. Here is a Review
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page