post #271 of 478 Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluninja View Post

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to HT and also a soon to be newbie Mission M33i owner. It have the clarity but I don't here a lot of bass from it so what sub woofer do you guys recommend for the M33i? I'm looking for something $400 or less.Thanks,

Hello and welcome. Your new m33i's will have plenty of bass powered by a decent 60 watt amp, enjoy them as they are before deciding whether you need/want a subwoofer.

My Mission's sound their best 1-2 feet from the narrow wall in my room and about 8 feet apart. My listening position is about 12' from the wall with the speakers. Toe them in a bit and enjoy.

What brands of speakers are available where you live and where are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 478 Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman View Post

I guess you didn't like it.

Thanks are in order. I've received my x-sub and really like it. It's improved my sound quite a bit. For $239 it's a no brainer. I don't know how they make any money on these things. It's really well made and the wood veneer is stunning. By the way, if anyone wants one of these they are being replaced with a more expensive version so jump on it while the jumping is good.
My m74's still sound a little bright so I'll be looking into room treatments. Any suggestions for reading on the subject? (keeping in mind that after a hard day's work my attention span is a little limited...)
Thanks again
post #273 of 478 Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomd73 View Post

Sebberry,

Do you know which Missions A&B still had in stock?

Thanks
Dennis

Sorry I never replied to your question.

They didn't have any left when I looked, but they just opened a new A&B sound store in town and they have the M3i towers and a couple of bookshelf speakers in. They didn't have anything set up properly so I didn't really get to listen to them much (store construction a bit slow)...

Does anyone have any idea as to how much the new 79 series will cost?
post #274 of 478 Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by django1 View Post

My m74's still sound a little bright so I'll be looking into room treatments. Any suggestions for reading on the subject? (keeping in mind that after a hard day's work my attention span is a little limited...) Thanks again

Here's a good article.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
post #275 of 478 Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM

I'm thinking of picking up Mission m66i's for $750.00/pair at bay Bloor radio in Toronto. Their MSRP is $1500.00.

Any opinions on this deal?
post #276 of 478 Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybeats View Post

I'm thinking of picking up Mission m66i's for $750.00/pair at bay Bloor radio in Toronto. Their MSRP is $1500.00.

Any opinions on this deal?

That's a good price on a great speaker IMHO. Are these NIB or demos?

I pulled my m64i's out of my HT system and placed them in my 2 channel set up a couple of weeks ago and they sound even better in the new location. The midrange and highs have always been great, but this new location has fleshed out the bass even more than my old location. On most music the bass is deep and powerful. Only on a couple of tracks did I wish that I had my sub also in the system. But, that was for music that I knew had some very deep content that was missing from my m64i's. On most music a subwoofer isn't needed at all. On cd's like Morf the cat and the soundtrack from The Fifth Element the bass is overpowering (almost) as they are w/o a sub. Bass guitars and drums sound awesome on them powered by a stout 100 watt Parasound amp.

Have you auditioned these m66i's? With a pair of woofers in each cabinet you will be moving a lot of air, they will produce more bass than my m64i's as well as deeper bass.

Good luck
post #277 of 478 Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone here have the 750LE? I have a line on a used set and was just wondering what people's impressions are of them.
post #278 of 478 Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM

I owned the 750le about ten years or so ago when they first came out.

They are beautiful looking, first rate rosewood veneer. I was driving them with a McCormack DNA .05 deluxe. A little overkill, but the 750LE's really need a powerful amp to shine. That being said they have a great midrange, rolled off highs and they don't go very deep. They are a nice sounding speakers great for a second room and will be easily bettered by a lot of today's speakers. For a pair in mint condition I wouldn't pay anymore than $249.

Dennis
post #279 of 478 Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The ones I am looking at are in the black ash veneer and the seller wants $350CDN for them (I think they were 600+ when they came out)

I am currently using a Yamaha HTR6090 and these would be my main speakers in my condo's living room home theater. I can't really use tower speakers due to placement constraints and I am using a subwoofer so bass isn't a huge issue.

I'm new to speakers, can you please explain to me "rolled off highs"? That a good thing or bad?

I quite liked the sound of the 732 and thought they had great bass, also running off a Yamaha amp (parent's speakers). Any ideas on how they compare?

I should also say that I listened to the KEF iQ1 (or maybe the 3) and wasn't all that impressed by the lack of clarity.

Thanks!
post #280 of 478 Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing, he also has a pair of Mission 771 speakers for sale... should I bother listening to those or are they good as well?
post #281 of 478 Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 AM

sebberry,

What I mean by rolled off highs is that they are not that detailed in the upper frequencies. That being said I recently picked up a pair of Mission 732's off ebay. I think they are rather dark and muddy sounding. The 732's do not sound as good as my Mission m70's or the 750le's. The m70's the smaller version of the 771's.

Of the speakers you listed I would rank them in this order.

750le (more refined, need decent power to come to life)

Before deciding on the 750le's, take a listen to the 771's, you may really suprised what you hear.

These are just my opinions, of course.

Dennis
post #282 of 478 Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I appreciate your opinions.

Have you had first hand experience with the 771? I might have the seller bring those too.

Of course, there's always the possibility of me abandoning this idea and just going downtown to pick up a pair of PSB Image B25's...
post #283 of 478 Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I bought the 750LE. Unfortunately they are the black ones, not the rosewood tho. I listened to the 771 as well, but the 750 somehow caught my attention more (perhaps being drawn to rarer things)

Quite happy with the sound, I like them even more than the PB Image B25 bookshelf speakers I heard in the store the other day.

They're in pretty good condition for being 10 years old, too.

I was going to buy both pairs of speakers from him, but he was pretty firm on his price. Fair enough.
post #284 of 478 Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 AM

Hi all,

Yesterday I decided to purchase a pair of Mission M33i's to go with my new Sony STR-DG910 AVR.

All I can say is wow!!!!! I had a good listen to them in the store listening room but I was even more impressed by them when I hooked them up in my lounge. It is so awesome when you buy something and you get more than what you expected.

The sound on these speakers is phenomenally clear - bass is tight and midrange,treble is perfect. I am hearing little subtleties in some of my cd's that I have never heard before.

By the way, I actually purchased a 5 speaker cinema package which inluded the pair of M33i's - cant remember the model number of the centre and surrounds but they are also Mission - will hook them up over the weekend.

The amazing thing is I had a pair of japanese made speakers before these - much larger than the missions and rated for 180watt , but the mission's - much smaller and rated for 100w - sound far better - goes to show, when it comes to speakers size does not count. And I am not trying to justify my purchase - on some of my music it sounds like I have the surrounds turned on - the instruments and vocals sound so much more real and enveloping

I have them placed about 15 feet apart and slightly toed in - is this the correct spacing - my listing position is dead centre and about 7 feet from the front.

Anyone else here maybe want to comment on your experiences with the Mission M33i's - would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Douw
Johannesburg South Africa
post #285 of 478 Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 AM

help please..
anyone have the schematic of mission 700as sub. i looked everywhere, called the company in canada and dealer in the U.S, no luck. i am in the U.S
i want the value of some resistors burned out.
thank you
post #286 of 478 Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarsh View Post

help please..
anyone have the schematic of mission 700as sub. i looked everywhere, called the company in canada and dealer in the U.S, no luck. i am in the U.S
i want the value of some resistors burned out.
thank you

The value of the resistor can be decoded by the colored bands on the resistor.

http://online.ctcd.edu/orientation/i...r-code-all.gif
post #287 of 478 Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwg View Post

I have them placed about 15 feet apart and slightly toed in - is this the correct spacing - my listing position is dead centre and about 7 feet from the front.

Anyone else here maybe want to comment on your experiences with the Mission M33i's - would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Douw
Johannesburg South Africa

Hello Douw,

15 feet apart is a bit too wide IMHO for the imaging properties to come together. If you can, I would place them 8-10 feet apart and toed in being seated only 7 feet away. Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Mission Club!

P.S. how is Douw pronounced?
post #288 of 478 Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Interesting that I have found this thread today of all days. Today I am replacing my only set of Missions with JBL L820's. The Missions did nothing wrong and served me very well from 1995 until today as surround speakers. They have been through 3 different Theater set-ups and served me more than well acting as chief surround sound speakers. For being small, they had a large sound and could handle a lot of juice. Can't say I'll miss them as I am upgrading, but if they had a conscience, I would solute them and tell them thanks!
post #289 of 478 Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post

Interesting that I have found this thread today of all days. Today I am replacing my only set of Missions with JBL L820's. The Missions did nothing wrong and served me very well from 1995 until today as surround speakers. They have been through 3 different Theater set-ups and served me more than well acting as chief surround sound speakers. For being small, they had a large sound and could handle a lot of juice. Can't say I'll miss them as I am upgrading, but if they had a conscience, I would solute them and tell them thanks!

JBL!!!............traitor................just kidding. Congrats on your new toys.
post #290 of 478 Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 AM

For my set up I have m30 and m34 for my rear surround
m70as for the sun and a m7c for the center
For the front two I have my trusted 773e the most beautiful sound I have ever heard.

Mission gets better with age
post #291 of 478 Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 AM

I am the biggest Mission fans ever. I have three areas in my apartment. My bedroom has a pair of Mission 753 freedom signature. They were driven by a DIY 300B tube amp and the combo sounds so sweet, perfect for a bedroom. My study has a small setup with Marantz slim series receiver driving a pair of 780s. After years of using Blueroom Minipods, I could not stop replacing them with Minssion 780s and the result was great.
Here comes the main sitting area. Two Mission 754 are used as fronts and two as sorround with a 78c as centre. The fronts are driven by a Red Rose.

Mark K
post #292 of 478 Old 02-06-2008, 05:52 AM

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my whole system now that I have the panny BD30. Currently waiting for her indoors to allow me the purchase of a 605, but have a couple of questions.

At present, I have a pretty poor HTIB which states that the speakers are 3 Ohm impedance.

If I get the 605 I presume it will work with these although as far as I can see the Onkyo only goes to 4 Ohm matching. I presume this will still work, just not very well.

The dilema is whether to get some new speakers first and wait for the amp.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mission M-Cubes? I have a pretty small lounge and the set up isnt (cant really be) ideal for speaker placement, and my girlfriend really wont like anything large festooning the room. And my 9 month old will have anything not "nailed to the floor" pulled over in seconds.

So, realistically I've decided on the Cubes (I actually like the look of them) due to a more realistic acceptance of what I can actually get that wont involve being homeless afterwards.

I've seen a few reviews where people say they are very good, and also some that don't rate them at all. Just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of them before I decide to buy.

Thanks for any help.

Billy
post #293 of 478 Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert596 View Post

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my whole system now that I have the panny BD30. Currently waiting for her indoors to allow me the purchase of a 605, but have a couple of questions.

At present, I have a pretty poor HTIB which states that the speakers are 3 Ohm impedance.

If I get the 605 I presume it will work with these although as far as I can see the Onkyo only goes to 4 Ohm matching. I presume this will still work, just not very well.

The dilema is whether to get some new speakers first and wait for the amp.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mission M-Cubes? I have a pretty small lounge and the set up isnt (cant really be) ideal for speaker placement, and my girlfriend really wont like anything large festooning the room. And my 9 month old will have anything not "nailed to the floor" pulled over in seconds.

So, realistically I've decided on the Cubes (I actually like the look of them) due to a more realistic acceptance of what I can actually get that wont involve being homeless afterwards.

I've seen a few reviews where people say they are very good, and also some that don't rate them at all. Just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of them before I decide to buy.

Thanks for any help.

Billy

Personally, I am not a fan of single driver full range satellite speakers (like Bose) for a 5.1 system. A small single driver does neither bass or high frequencies well, IMHO.

I read a review on the Mission Cube system and the reviewer had a problem integrating the small cube speakers with the bass module. The bass module had a very high crossover which allowed upper bass frequencies to be heard coming from the subwoofer. With such a system the subwoofer needed to be placed roughly equidistant between the two front speakers.

I am a big fan of Mission loudspeakers so it pains me to say this.....have you investigated the Quad Lite 5.1 system? It has true 2 way satellites with woofer and tweeter and a very good subwoofer. All in a compact design available in different finishes.
post #294 of 478 Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 PM

What's a good center channel speaker to match up with my mission 733's and AS2 subwoofer? Plus, a good 5.1 receiver?
post #295 of 478 Old 02-09-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

While we're on the topic of center channels.. I need something that will work well with my 750LE mains... Any tips?

Probably looking outside of the Mission brand I suspect
post #296 of 478 Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 AM

I have a load of original replacement parts for MISSION going back a few years. Let me know if anyone needs anything. missionparts@hotmail.com
post #297 of 478 Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if the M31's are gone forever at tsto.com? I couldn't find them the other day and had intended on seriously considering getting a couple to use as front mains.
post #298 of 478 Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman View Post

I have been listening to a pair of e52's in the last couple of days, but I'm not ready to comment on them yet.

How do you like them so far? What's the build quality like compared to some of the older models?
post #299 of 478 Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

How do you like them so far? What's the build quality like compared to some of the older models?

The industrial construction of the e52's is outstanding with their gloss black finish on the sleek tapered cabinet. The wife won't be placing a plant or candle on the sloped top surface! The e series loudspeakers finish and construction quality are a cut above the older Mission 700 series, M3, M6 and M7 series IMHO. The Volare and the older 77 series (circa 2000) are of high quality and equal to the e series with their real wood finish and high quality terminals.

The e52's are very good loudspeakers for HT or music. The e52's are slightly more forward than the v60's. They play hard rock better than the v60's. I listened to them in a 2.0 system for several weeks before moving them over to my HT system. They are still there. They put out decent bass for 5" woofers before the subwoofer kicks on.

The e52's are really suited for HT because of the midrange clarity and can easily fill a medium sized room (2400 cu/ft). When I listen to music in the 2.1 mode (Outlaw sub) they sound excellent with a wide sound stage. The rear ports really pump out air!

A couple of weeks ago I was playing the radio thru the e52's while another system in the room was playing a pair of e80's on the same radio station when I noticed the guitar that I was hearing clearly thru the e52's was muted coming from the more expensive e80's. I was frankly shocked to hear the difference. The e52's are a better sounding speaker than the e80's overall from bass-midrange-highs.

When comparing the e52's with the Mission m72's, the e52's have a cleaner midrange over the m72's, but the m72's have more bass due to the larger woofer and cabinet. But when the e52's are mated with a subwoofer they can hold their own against most 2.1 systems out there IMHO.
post #300 of 478 Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your review!

tsto has a pair of the E52 and a pair of Volare V62 floorstanding speakers.

Currently I have a pair of 750LE bookshelf speakers in my living room. They see about 50/50 HT/Music. I find that they have excellent midrange and clear vocals without sounding too bright or forward. I picked up a pair of PSB Image T45 towers and found that vocals, especially female were over-emphasized and instruments didn't sound quite as delicate as they did on the 750's.

While the 750 lacked some of the imaging as my friend's Klipsch towers, sound quality was very close. I even listened to a pair of Monitor Audio RS8 towers and found them to be a little forward like the PSB's were.

Bottom line is I was looking at the v62 and the E85 on the tsto website and wonder how those sound. Have you heard the v62 at all?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Optoma Ep 771 3000 Lumen Multimedia Data Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page