MISSION owners thread. - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #481 of 496 Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post
Opinions wanted:

Potential Mission 770 owner here. I can get a pair for $200 (maybe less) with no grills or stands. I am told they are in good condition but will be able to check them out in person and listen to them before I purchase.

These will not be used with my main setup so I don't need to worry about matching and all of that. I would like to have them at least partially for the nostalgia factor of old hifi speakers but I want to make sure that 35 year old speakers aren't just going to be more trouble than they are worth. I own a pair of Polk RT16s that are 20ish years old and they are practically perfect in every way so I am optimistic.

This could be the first step in having a separate analog system and moving into the world of LPs...
I have a pair of those 770 "Freedoms" with stands. Great little speakers and have aged well. Not in my primary listening room -- in there I have 780 "Argonauts", same vintage. Love 'em all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 496 Old 06-07-2015, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKellog View Post
Good to see so many happy Mission owners here!

I currently have the following in my theater room:
Mission M74i Fronts
Mission M7C1i Center
Mission M30i Rears (Would have got the M7DS but they were no longer sold locally)

And I have the following in my music room:
Mission 760i Bookshelfs
Mission MS8 Sub (I agree that their subs are pretty weak when compared to say, Paradigm/Energy subs)
Hi, I joined this site seeking further information on Mission 760i model speakers. I acquired a pair through "good karma" and kijij- New Brunswick, Canada. I was so impressed, I bought a pair in Toronto (also through kijiji);
Had a family member in Toronto pick them up for me. The order of evolution began with the Mission 760 and was followed by the 760i-which was altered a bit. A while back, I found an article on what changes were made, I think it was the crossovers. I lost the article and was hoping someone here might know. By the way, I bought the speakers as a gift for my niece; they are older than she is. Wonderful near-feild capability and the early versions pre-date speaker technology's migration towards 5 or 7 channel development. I believe this period was a very significant 2 channel speaker development timeframe. Super happy to find 25 year old speakers in mint condition and sound quality. Kindest regards to all Mission owners. Great to share their noteworthy gifts.
post #483 of 496 Old 10-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Owner of Mission 751s here... the tweeter went out on one of them. Anyone have a 751 orphan they'd part with? From what I understand, it's not easy to find a replacement tweeter.

If anyone can advise, I'd really appreciate it. LOVE those speakers. Need to get them up and running again.

Thanks.
post #484 of 496 Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 PM

ISO Mission 751 orphan or tweeter

Owner of Mission 751s here... the tweeter went out on one of them. Anyone have a 751 orphan they'd part with? From what I understand, it's not easy to find a replacement tweeter.

If anyone can advise, I'd really appreciate it. LOVE those speakers. Need to get them up and running again.

Thanks.
post #485 of 496 Old 10-29-2015, 02:44 PM

erg sorry for the double post...
post #486 of 496 Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
hi guys, new to Mission, got myself a little something for Xmas at a bargain price

Hooked up the sub, and setup the AVR (NAD T757) to use front, centre and surrounds as Small with 80Hz, 80Hz, and 100Hz crossover respectively. However, when I turn the crossover knob on the sub to 200Hz, there is still more bass coming through - is this normal? I thought once the AVR separates the frequencies, only the ones below the crossover would be sent to the sub?

First impressions: the bass is way smoother and rolls on & off instead of being just punchy (previous sub was a Sony HTIB). Watching MI Rogue Nation and the sound of the plane's propellers in the beginning was just amazing, I could hear the swishing sound of the propellers as the plane was taking off whereas previously it was just doof-doof coming out of the sub.

Surrounds are sitting on wine boxes for now, will get 2 stands and proper wiring + trunking in the new year.
post #487 of 496 Old 01-16-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mission 771e

I've had 2 other pairs of missions in the past.
Now I have these 771e. They are less relaxed with a more modern sound than their '90s speakers.
I'd love to locate the matching center channel, if there was such a thing, for a home theater system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no grills_0907.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1187666  

Last edited by mjcmt; 01-16-2016 at 06:02 AM. Reason: grammar
post #488 of 496 Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Missions 77C is one of the few okay Centers that Mission made. It will be hard to find. You might be better off with another 771.

http://www.fl-electronic.de/neuklang/mission77.html#77c
post #489 of 496 Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 AM

My first speakers were the original Mission 700s.

We have quite a few Missions around the house now, including 773e, 771e and 700LE.

Here are the Mission speakers I tried when each were selling for less than 100 GBP ($150) on ebay, and could be sold back again for +/- 10% difference in price. Good to try a few out just for the fun of hearing what was going on back when they were a really good VFM brand. Seems they went through a dip in performance in the 00s, but are on their way back to prominence again now.

Being a newbie, I can't put URLs in my postings yet, but if you search for "audiophile musings mission page" you'll find it

Linn stuff playing into PMCs
post #490 of 496 Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Missions 77C is one of the few okay Centers that Mission made. It will be hard to find. You might be better off with another 771.

http://www.fl-electronic.de/neuklang/mission77.html#77c
Thanks, that one looks nice. What do you mean by saying it's just OK?

post #491 of 496 Old 01-17-2016, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran the 77c as my center paired with 773 fronts and 77ds rears and it sounded great. You will have a hard time finding one in cherry to match your 771s but the black ones come up occasionally on eBay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #492 of 496 Old 01-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmt View Post
Thanks, that one looks nice. What do you mean by saying it's just OK?
Mission makes great 2 channel speakers. And like most companies at this time HT was the new thing. Missions first HT speakers 73c (center) and 73s (surround) were garbage. Cheap drivers and plastic boxes. The 75c were better because they at least used a real wood box. By the time of the 77c they started using the same quality drivers as the other models. The mini-line array fixed and cause some problems. Like most HT setups if you can add the same speaker up front you are better off than getting a center channel.
mjcmt likes this.
post #493 of 496 Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 AM

thanks backlighting

post #494 of 496 Unread 03-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow cant believe i actually found other Mission owners here in the US !

I have a full set of 78 series in y main room for both 2 channel music and HT : 783, 78C, 78ds and I also have 781 's in a second room just for music.
They are paired with a Marantz preamp & Outlaw audio amp (had a marantz 9200 powering them until recently) I really enjoy the warm rich sound of this combo.

I am no getting into Atmos, DTx , etc... looking to add some new surround backs (currently have some cheapo spaekers) , front high and rears or possible some in ceiling speakers.

At a loss of where to start looking for speakers with the same timbre match. ...PSB, Paradigm, Wharfedale, Boston, etc... Does anyone have some ideas ? All i know is I auditioned Monitor and Klipsch many years ago and I HATED the very bright sounds but did like both Paradigm and JM Lab (now focal?)
post #495 of 496 Unread 03-30-2016, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a set of 771s collecting dust if you're interested in them. They aren't in the greatest shape but functionally good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #496 of 496 Unread 04-10-2016, 06:43 AM

I have the opportunity to get two mission 705 for 400 bucks, look to be in perfect condition and he said he can demo them for me, will probably try and haggle to 350 since they are just so old
Do you guys think its worth it? I have some klipsch rf-42's that i would be replacing

Last edited by giderac; 04-10-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Optoma Ep 771 3000 Lumen Multimedia Data Projector