MISSION owners thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 479 Old 02-10-2007, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
most other speaker manufacturers have their own owners thread and I know there's at least a few of us here. i thought it might be nice to discuss different models, experiences, pricing and such.

Seems that the missions don't get alot of talk here in America but, personally i love them. it would also be nice to learn of any places in the u.s. that carry them because, other than tsto.com i cannot find them anywhere. also i realize that a lot of mission owners are outside of the U.S. so if you can comment on different models that we can't get our hands on here and any retailers that will ship to the U.S. that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 Mission set-up from the late 90s if memory serves. One with the 700 series and one with the 77 series. Real veneer, great sound. My sons are enjoying them now.
post #3 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well, i guess there are others here after all.
post #4 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

I had a stereo setup in college with Mission 771 bookshelves. Great speakers. I actually tried to find more of them to complete my home theater 5.1 setup, but it was too difficult to track them down, so I ended up with Paradigms all around. Those missions are great speakers and still do light duty in the office room at my parents' house.

-Eric
post #5 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 01:25 PM

I have the M3S satellite system in my living room. I like them a lot. Thinking of upgrading the L & R to the M31's. I wish I jumped on the Amazon blowout of Mission speakers a while ago but missed out.
post #6 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Its very nice to see you guys open up this thread,I'll be glad when Mission finds a new U.S. Distributor,more people in the states need to hear these speakers.
post #7 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb View Post

Its very nice to see you huys open up this thread,I'll be glad when Mission finds a new U.S. Distributor,more people in the states need to hear these speakers.

i agree with that 100%. alot of people seem to claim or think that they are cheapo speakers BUT, over at tsto MOST of the models are discontinued models and are much cheaper than when they first came to the market.

if you research the models and find the price they were introduced onto the market at you see they were fairly "expensive" or comparable in price to other names. so if you look at the original MSRP and it's x'd-out at tsto and think "this must not be true". research and you will see that that original MSRP is accurate. i think when people see the prices over at tsto they assume they are low quality. NOT TRUE they are awesome, very well built, and sound very nice- at least to me.

but, take that with a grain as MY preference- my mother is from britain, and i'm an ex working musician of 15 years who would only play on marshalls loaded with vintage celestion greenbacks. there is something about that british sound that really appeals to me. even if not all the missions are made in the U.K. an longer.

i wish i could find another distributor here as well but, there just aren't any online i can find. i have emailed many U.K. sites and none will ship to the U.S.

i'd like to be able to hear these: http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/2676
post #8 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
lpm

Great to have a Mission thread.

For my 7.1 HT system I have Mission m74 fronts, an m7c2i centre, m7ds surrounds plus a pair of m71i for rears. Better known in Australia than in the US it seems but a brand whose budget models perform extremely well for the price and top models even better. Can do better than their subs though.

After living with them for a while, had a friend (professional speaker builder) tweak the crossovers in the m74s with better components and a few minor adjustments. This tightened the base and adjusted an ever so slightly recessed midrange. I also originally had the m7c1 centre; big mistake and soon upgraded to the m7c2i. Now integration across the front is simply superb.

As stereo speakers, the m74s are very forgiving in their placement and are tight, neutral and musical though not quite up with the Vandersteen 3A I have in my stereo area. As a HT system, I still thoroughly enjoy the Missions every time I use them and have no plans to change in the near future as I have yet to hear anything better at near the price. SQ is pretty important to me as I play a lot of surround music DVDs such as Pulse, The Eagles, you name it. The Missions handle all of this concert material from AC/DC to Jazz to orchestral a treat.

So yes, I'm still a Mission fan.
post #9 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I really like Mission's,im really dissapointed that iag america didnt do what they should've done with them,Its alway gonna be soft spot for Mission's,as them a JBL Simply Cinema Series was my 1st sales on the same order,and then i bought a pair of Mission's for myself.
post #10 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM
lpm

Yeah mate,

Pretty difficult to find in Oz at the moment. I think they may be reinventing some of the lines and taken their finger off the marketing pulse. As long as they stick close to their original voicing and value formula, all should be well.
post #11 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpm View Post

Yeah mate,

Pretty difficult to find in Oz at the moment. I think they may be reinventing some of the lines and taken their finger off the marketing pulse. As long as they stick close to their original voicing and value formula, all should be well.

I think thats one of the big things with Mission right now as distributors and the different owners and such want them to change but they wont,im glad their holding on to their heritage.
post #12 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i have the m7c1 center it pairs well with the m70 bookshelves i have. of course it IS the only mission center i can find for sale.

i receive my m7ds tomorrow and will use them as sides and my other m70's (which are in the side positions right now) will move to the rears for 7.1.

haven't been able to audition a mission sub though. i use an onix x-sub and will be adding another x-sub in the next couple weeks and run dual.

very happy to see that there are some responses coming in on this thread so we can chat mission.
post #13 of 479 Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 PM
lpm

adamanteus,

The m7c1 will be fine with the m70's as it uses the same 100mm drivers and tweeters. It was just a bit out of its depth with the much bigger m74 towers with dual 165mm drivers, hence my need for the m7c2. Do you have any other sub options?
post #14 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i chose the x-sub because i know a guy who has one. i really liked it alot so when i started upgrading my speakers i chose the x-sub. my viewing area is fairly small to medium sized and it fills it out very nicely. it fits in well. and is a good size aesthetically for the room too and a quality unit. i really don't need another x-sub more than i WANT another one... . my system is compact and i really enjoy it. anything else larger would be overkill for this area. once we purchase and move into a larger house i will probably get some larger missions for a larger viewing area. and designate the m70's to a bedroom or maybe a small dedicated media room.

i'm just about done with upgrades for the year as i will resume restoring my truck once the weather is back to normal next month here. my only thing left is i probably will grab an oppo dvd player in the next few weeks. and that other x-sub.
post #15 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

I have 2 pair of m73i's and a m7c2 that need a new home as I just purchased new speakers.
Anyone interested in making me an offer before I ebay them can pm me.

AV Enthusiast
post #16 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I have V60's as mains and the V6C center - wonderful, wonderful speakers. I love them. Running crossed over at 80Hz to my Velodyne F1200, driven by a Panny XR55. I have two pairs of the M7DS surrounds that I'm not using at the moment, they will be set up in my dedicated theater. I drove to TSTO to listen to the M series when they had a bunch, and while I was there I listened to the V60s. The M's were nice, but the V60s blew them away. It's really too bad they are sold out now; I still may buy the towers.
post #17 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 AM

I have a pair of 702e. Good sound, but I need to crank the treble, they're very mellow.
post #18 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

this is an awesome start to the thread and i'm really happy to see that there ARE quite a FEW of us here!

it looks like almost all of us have different speaker models. thats great to hear about differences etc.

ok i have a question for lpm and zero the hero. i'll be getting my m7ds set today. and they will be moving to the side position and my current sides (m70's) will go to the rear for 7.1.

anyhow how do you like the m7ds? and where do you have them? any particular placement advice? i was going to go about 7' feet high on the wall- about 3-4 feet above my sitting listening position and about 4' behind the listening position.
post #19 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

well, mine are currently in a box in my basement; so they don't sound too good there. In my previous house they were about 3 feet back, 4 feet up from listening position.
In my new dedicated room, the seating area will be flat against a 20 foot long wall. I plan on trying them out all four evenly placed on the back wall, relying on the farthest ones to give some side wall reflections too. They sounded great when I was using them - could not tell that they didn't quite match my Volare series.
post #20 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

well, mine are currently in a box in my basement; so they don't sound too good there.

ahhh the anticipation must be overwhelming!
post #21 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM
lpm

Quote:

anyhow how do you like the m7ds? and where do you have them? any particular placement advice?

As I said in my earlier post, I have no desire to replace something that sounds great so I guess I like them very much. I don't know your room details so I can only comment in general about my own placement experience.

I started out with 5.1 and had the m7ds (which are bipoles despite the d' in the name) about 7ft up and 2 ft behind the listening position. The surround effects were fine but I have a long room where I have as much space behind the main listening position as in front plus a large side opening at the rear and this formed something of a sound hole' that was less than ideal. That's when I added in the m71 rears and the resultant 7.1 system really filled things out beautifully and sounds superb.

I have heard some people argue that the more diffuse speakers should be at the rear and the monopoles at the side but in my room, only my current setup is practical. So I have found the best position for my room is with the m7ds directly to the side of the seating position about 7ft up and with the m71's on 1.2m (4ft) stands that I move in from the rear corners of the room when needed to about 4ft behind the seats and angled as per Dolby guides. All I can say is the ambience is great. Your setup may be quite different so lets know how they sound to you.

If I remember correctly (too lazy to check), Dolby recommends that surrounds be mounted 2 or 3 feet above the listening position. However, the m7ds can be mounted higher (against the ceiling) if needed such as above high window pelmets. Being bipoles, you can simply turn them upside down with the flat bottom now at the top but they may then need to be angled down towards the listener somewhat.

Here is a good simple article on surround speaker types and placement.
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...98202342317258
post #22 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Liked: 11
I'm the proud owner of a pair of M32i I picked up for $175 during the Amazon blowout a while back.

I'm considering picking up a pair of M70 for the heck of it from STO Sound & Vision for $70. I've heard the M70 a while back and I like them. I imagine they're plenty good for a small room or office.
post #23 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
lpm

The m70 are to all intents and purposes equivalent to the m30 with 100mm drivers. Likewise, the m71 are pretty much the same as the m31 but with 130mm drivers and finally the m72/m32 with about 160mm drivers.

Couldn't find a reference at short notice to reviews of the other models but I had a link to an m71 review at Stereophile which is an interesting read.
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/511/
and here is a link to the corresponding later model m31 review with updated drivers,
http://202.186.86.35/audio/printerfr...&sec=audiofile
post #24 of 479 Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

set up my m7ds. they sound fantastic in the side position- haven't got to truly sit down and REALLY listen to them though. placed about 7' high on the wall roughly 4' behind the listening position. now i will relocate the m70's to the rear wall and await my new 7.1 receiver- which hopefully will be here soon as it is coming straight from japan.

they are a little wider and nicer loking in person than i imagined. they have a nice theater look to them. i like the way they hug the wall. when my better half came home, i heard her say "WOW"! she hated the m70's on the side walls since they are so deep in size.
post #25 of 479 Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 AM

Still using a pair of 15 year old Mission 763i for TV and music.
post #26 of 479 Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpm View Post

The m70 are to all intents and purposes equivalent to the m30 with 100mm drivers. Likewise, the m71 are pretty much the same as the m31 but with 130mm drivers and finally the m72/m32 with about 160mm drivers.

Couldn't find a reference at short notice to reviews of the other models but I had a link to an m71 review at Stereophile which is an interesting read.
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/511/
and here is a link to the corresponding later model m31 review with updated drivers,
http://202.186.86.35/audio/printerfr...&sec=audiofile

Here's a review of the M70
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/revi...MissionM70.php
post #27 of 479 Old 02-17-2007, 02:45 PM

I bought myself a full set of Mission speakers about 10+ years ago, and I'm still using them today. I have a pair of mission 733s for my mains, 731s for my rears, a 73c for my center, and an SW76 sub (12" down firing, 150W amp). I had both woofers in the 733s replaced, at no charge to me, after the warranty was up, by Mission Canada. The plastic cones had started to dry out and crack.

Other than that, I have always loved the way these speakers sound, and I've never felt the need to upgrade them.
post #28 of 479 Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 AM

I have a pair of UK made elegante 83 towers for my music / tv setup. They are absolutely awesome! The stereo shop in henrietta NY is a mission dealer, and we happend to have 2 pair left (UK made).

I love the imaging and depth these speakers have.
post #29 of 479 Old 02-22-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaJeff View Post

I have a pair of UK made elegante 83 towers for my music / tv setup. They are absolutely awesome! The stereo shop in henrietta NY is a mission dealer, and we happend to have 2 pair left (UK made).

I love the imaging and depth these speakers have.

hey do they have a site? i would like to check them out.
post #30 of 479 Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Reply Speakers

Tags
Optoma Ep 771 3000 Lumen Multimedia Data Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page