Infinity Beta Owners - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 2350 Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If mounted on the wall, do they have to be removed each time you want to "switch" them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2350 Old 05-30-2007, 04:44 PM

If you are still around PLhart ...have a question for you..

I visited the Energy Veritas site and saw the way they fill their cabinets
with an acoustic dampening material and cross brace their cabinets, could
you please illucidate a little on this with respect to the Beta 50s.

Currently I have mine set 8' apart from center mid line of cabinet and about
16" from wall and .5" toe in. The room is 26'x 15 walls have some home brew
damping (small area carpets ) speakers bi-wired. Using tube tuner preamp driving
Denon Poa 2200 ss 200/ch.

As they are now they render very nice dimensionality delicate nuances
in the music beautifully portrayed..couldn't ask for more.

Thanks
post #273 of 2350 Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Here are some pics of my system. Beta 40's, 360, ES250's and CSW10.

****IF ANY ONE HAS A EXTRA CSW10 I WANT TO BUY IT!!!!!!!****
LL
LL

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #274 of 2350 Old 05-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks like your speakers are a little too close to the side wall. Stuffing all that stuff into a corner cant be good. Cool setup though. Nice TV =DD. I'm pretty sure you could get a better sub than a CSW10 for a better value from SVS or HSU.
post #275 of 2350 Old 05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoboarder77 View Post

If mounted on the wall, do they have to be removed each time you want to "switch" them?

No. The switch is under the front cover. See post #273, second picture.

Rob
post #276 of 2350 Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n'joymusic View Post

If you are still around PLhart ...have a question for you..

I visited the Energy Veritas site and saw the way they fill their cabinets
with an acoustic dampening material and cross brace their cabinets, could
you please illucidate a little on this with respect to the Beta 50s.

Currently I have mine set 8' apart from center mid line of cabinet and about
16" from wall and .5" toe in. The room is 26'x 15 walls have some home brew
damping (small area carpets ) speakers bi-wired. Using tube tuner preamp driving
Denon Poa 2200 ss 200/ch.

As they are now they render very nice dimensionality delicate nuances
in the music beautifully portrayed..couldn't ask for more.

Thanks

I've only seen him post in the other thread. Might want to try that one.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647998

Rob
post #277 of 2350 Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Thanks girdnerg for the heads up...reposted my question to the thread
you showed me...

Hope PLhart is still checking in and once again hear what he has to say

Thanks again.
post #278 of 2350 Old 05-31-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

Looks like your speakers are a little too close to the side wall. Stuffing all that stuff into a corner cant be good. Cool setup though. Nice TV =DD. I'm pretty sure you could get a better sub than a CSW10 for a better value from SVS or HSU.

This is a temp set up and when the new house is built I will have a dedicated room my equipment. I listen to my music at a very low levels, except when listening to TOOL.

On my set up all my speakers are set to small and was sup-prized on how much it changed the listing field.

Thank you for the advice and will look into those subs.

Have a good one-

post #279 of 2350 Old 06-01-2007, 01:26 PM

So the side wall are out. The ES250s are too wide to mount on the section of wall between the closet door and counter space.
It looks like I will have to mount on the rear wall. The rear wall is 10 feet behind the viewing area. Any suggestions? Will this be bad? Please help!!
LL
LL
post #280 of 2350 Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Dont mount? place them on stands? or on something else?
post #281 of 2350 Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangedup View Post

This is a temp set up and when the new house is built I will have a dedicated room my equipment. I listen to my music at a very low levels, except when listening to TOOL.

On my set up all my speakers are set to small and was sup-prized on how much it changed the listing field.

Thank you for the advice and will look into those subs.

Have a good one-

Sounds awesome. I'm quite a fan of tool myself, but their older stuff in my book is better than their new album. The CSW10 does have a kick, i know myself, but when i found out about SVS and HSU, i was a little saddened the the 1k CSW tyke was matched by a cheaper sub.

Does anyone have a RABOs kit to lend me? I seemed to have misplaced mine in a move.
post #282 of 2350 Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 AM

aboroth00-

So what you are telling me you will trade any SVS or HSU for your CSW10.

Has anyone seen the replacement for the Beta line? I think its called Classica? I had a link on it and have no idea what I did with it. They took the shape/look of the Cascade, however are using traditional round drivers. Once I find that link I will post it, or if anyone else know what the heck I am talking about.

post #283 of 2350 Old 06-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bangedup, I have a CSW-10 and don't let anyone talk you out of it. It is a great sub. Now, I agree that it was not worth $1000.00. I paid $429.00 refurbished. I have also seen them new on Ebay going for about $350.00. Four of them in the last couple of weeks. I think it is a branch of Circuit City that is clearing them out. Every time anyone on this forum mentions anything about subs the guys that think it is cool to be a fan of SVS or HSU come out. The CSW-10 is a very capable piece of equipment. It was just overpriced in it's time.
post #284 of 2350 Old 06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that it is a good sub, but its not worht 1k as you said. I'm just trying to provide other alternatives. If i had a choice between the CSW10 and another 1k sub such as a SVS or HSU, id take them over the CSW but at the prices it's going at right now on auction, its a coin flip to see what you like. Personally, i rather have a nice REL sub myself.

As for the replacements, they do look like just the Cascades and as for the sound, its anyone's guess. The cascades, imo, are overpriced and even if the retail price for the classica was half that of the Cascades and if they sounded similar, i dont know whether i would buy them or not. It seems as if Infinity is leaning toward improvement in aesthetics and not in sound, but i cant really comment for sure on how they will sound. It is however doubtful that they will exceed the Cascades if they are marketed as the mid-line for Infinity.
post #285 of 2350 Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

Bangedup, I have a CSW-10 and don't let anyone talk you out of it. It is a great sub. Now, I agree that it was not worth $1000.00. I paid $429.00 refurbished. I have also seen them new on Ebay going for about $350.00. Four of them in the last couple of weeks. I think it is a branch of Circuit City that is clearing them out. Every time anyone on this forum mentions anything about subs the guys that think it is cool to be a fan of SVS or HSU come out. The CSW-10 is a very capable piece of equipment. It was just overpriced in it's time.

I am one of the lucky ones and I use to sell Infinity and get their points for products. The hard part is finding someone who has a black CSW10 for sale. I check ebay and audiogon all the time and never see them.

post #286 of 2350 Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

As for the replacements, they do look like just the Cascades and as for the sound, its anyone's guess. The cascades, imo, are overpriced and even if the retail price for the classica was half that of the Cascades and if they sounded similar, i dont know whether i would buy them or not. It seems as if Infinity is leaning toward improvement in aesthetics and not in sound, but i cant really comment for sure on how they will sound. It is however doubtful that they will exceed the Cascades if they are marketed as the mid-line for Infinity.

What you say makes a lot of since, on the marketing of both lines. IMO Cascades are way over priced and not a very musical speaker. I am not so sure I am happy were Infinity is taking its speaker line......it was not to long ago when Infinity was in a dark place and had no idea who it was. I realy hope they bring back lines like Prelude, Beta and Intermezzo.

post #287 of 2350 Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Great thread here for great speakers.

I have the HK AVR145 receiver and would appreciate your opinions/experiences on whether it has enough power for this setup:
2 Beta 50 fronts
1 Beta C360 center
2 Beta ES250 rears

Harman's conservative specs on the AVR145 are:
Stereo Mode - 50 watts per channel
5 Channels - 40 watts per channel

Room size is about 25 ft x 17 ft with 11 ft vaulted ceiling.

FWIW, I also have a mediocre Acoustic Research S112PS Subwoofer (12 inch, 120 watt).

I'd like to hear opinions from anyone running the Beta 50 on a less than 100 watt/channel amp.

Thanks!
post #288 of 2350 Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:

iolmaster,
How are you searching on eBay. I am finding none anywhere. Anyone else have any suggestions on where to find a CSW10 subwoofer?
post #289 of 2350 Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the same set-up, but with an AVR635.

I ended up getting a Crown XLS402 and 202. The sound quality will not improve (you MAY notice an emphasis in the mid-range), but you will have better dynamics, and more importantly, peace of mind.
post #290 of 2350 Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You just go to speakers, subwoofers, Infinity. Right now there are none on there. Two weeks ago there were four offered from a place in Marion Indiana. They all went for about $350.00 All were in the cherry finish. YOu just have to keep going back.
post #291 of 2350 Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

I've had the Infinity Beta C360 center for a couple of years.

I just added the Beta 50's a few months ago so the front 3 would match and my HT experience improved alot.

Well I finally got the 4 ES250s mounted to complete my Infinity Beta 7.1 system (well the sub is DIY not infinity). I must say that the ES250s in bipole mode are doing a wonderful job. I've tested them using some common action movies (star wars episodes, War of the worlds, etc.) and really like them. I have yet to be able to hear a surround effect and be able to point to a speaker and say, "It came from that one." The sounds come from a direction now, as with my DR speakers, it was from a specific spot on the wall. NOT knocking DR speakers as surrounds. I'm just saying that for me, in my environment, the ES250s are the ticket.

I'm a happy camper!

Rob
post #292 of 2350 Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Amen. I'm *lovin'* the ES250's also. They have that movie theater look to them, too.
post #293 of 2350 Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Great thread here for great speakers.

I have the HK AVR145 receiver and would appreciate your opinions/experiences on whether it has enough power for this setup:
2 Beta 50 fronts
1 Beta C360 center
2 Beta ES250 rears

delta1,

How are you mounting your ES250s as rears? Have you done so already? I have to (wife directed) mount the ES250s on the back wall and run them as rears. If mounted on sides, they would aesthetically not make sense. Plus they would be pretty close to rear wall anyway. After much feedback in this forum on the poor quality that will be heard by doing, I am not looking forward to this. What mode will you be running yours in?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Anyone else have them mounted on the rear wall and not running "sides"?

Thanks.
post #294 of 2350 Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsammy View Post

Amen. I'm *lovin'* the ES250's also. They have that movie theater look to them, too.

My only complaint IS the looks. Black ones come with black (close) covers, but the white ones, which I got, come with silver covers. There is only a small portion of the bottom that is visible as white. Makes no sense to me

I wanted the beta 50's in cherry to match my entertainment center's woodwork, but couldn't handle the large amount of silver the covers were. I already changed those to black, which looks better to me. Got the ES250s in white to match the walls, so now I guess I have to paint all the ES250s covers white. Not hard; just a pain. On the 50s I pulled the covers apart, which tore the cloth under the metal apart, painted the plastic and metal covers, replaced the cloth, then glued the plastic and metal parts back together. The part that will be tricky on the ES250s is the center switch cover. It has the 'Infinity' logo on it. The 50s had it down on the cabinet so I didn't have to contend with it. It looks like it has posts going thru it with keeper rings around it. Then they melted the plastic posts down around the ring.

Rob
post #295 of 2350 Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM

Has anyone compared the Infinity Betas (50s +c360+es250) to a package from SVS (scs-01) or a av123 x-cs speaker package?

Seems like for about $900 you can get Infinity Beta (without sub) or one of the ID speaker packages with a sub.

I was trying to stay under $800/$900 for a 5.1 speaker package, do the Betas blow away the SVS or AV123 packages, or might I be better off spending the same amount and getting a sub with the package?

This would be my first "system" and want to get the best sound for my money that I can :-)
post #296 of 2350 Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWK2000 View Post

Has anyone compared the Infinity Betas (50s +c360+es250) to a package from SVS (scs-01) or a av123 x-cs speaker package?

Seems like for about $900 you can get Infinity Beta (without sub) or one of the ID speaker packages with a sub.

I was trying to stay under $800/$900 for a 5.1 speaker package, do the Betas blow away the SVS or AV123 packages, or might I be better off spending the same amount and getting a sub with the package?

This would be my first "system" and want to get the best sound for my money that I can :-)

Look at the thread you just asked that question at....Bose of course!

post #297 of 2350 Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Get the Betas.

With the SVS system, you're missing mid-range drivers, clean 80hz FR, and louder output.

I do see a bunch of funny marketing speak though, such as "ClearSilk"....
post #298 of 2350 Old 06-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Hehe... well I just picked up a black c360 ($199) and one black es250 ($99)

Also listened to the beta 50s/40s, both sounded very nice.

The infinity rep also suggested the Harmon 247 over the Yamaha 661, anyone have any input on which receiver might work better?

Any good speaker stands that work well for the es250? I migh not be able to wall mount them.

Man that 360 is HUGE and HEAVY!
post #299 of 2350 Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Get the Betas.

With the SVS system, you're missing mid-range drivers, clean 80hz FR, and louder output.

I do see a bunch of funny marketing speak though, such as "ClearSilk"....

PWK2000,
Having a midrange driver does not mean it gives out a better midrange. A poorly designed 3way compared to a good 2-way speaker will still yield the same results, a poor 3 way speaker and a good 2 way speaker. Personally, i always thought the Betas were funky in the midrange, but i listen to mostly rock so i could care less for the midrange. Originally my dealer who sold me the speakers i have now used to stock the Betas just starts bagging on the midrange, but i didnt believe it, but when i listened to some other stuff, i was a believer. I still keep a pair though, great bang for your buck. It's true that it'll give you greater output at 80hz, but that doesnt mean much if youre going to use a subwoofer. Just cross the subwoofer at a higher freq, and the sub still probably wont be localizable. I have listened to the AV123's and their highs are a lot smoother while the Betas were a little on the bright side. Of course it grinds down to taste. You might hate the Betas or love them.
post #300 of 2350 Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWK2000 View Post

Hehe... well I just picked up a black c360 ($199) and one black es250 ($99)

Also listened to the beta 50s/40s, both sounded very nice.

The infinity rep also suggested the Harmon 247 over the Yamaha 661, anyone have any input on which receiver might work better?

Any good speaker stands that work well for the es250? I migh not be able to wall mount them.

Man that 360 is HUGE and HEAVY!

Sounds like you chose the Betas. The 50s will deliver enough bass that you won't be in a hurry to get a sub. Can't speak for the 40s.

I've been following the Harmon 247 thread and it seems that the sound is wonderful, but there are scaling issues on the video side. Check it out before you buy one.

Rob
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2807 A V Surround Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page