Infinity Beta Owners - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Member
 
96redformula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I receive my eD a2-300 within a week or two, but for music the beta 50's are so well balanced and clean. I am not sure I will use the sub for music listening yet.
96redformula is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
ams123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams123 View Post

Well I am looking for a little feedback. I have always owned loudspeakers, currently selling a pair of DCM KX 12's. I don't have room for them anymore so I am looking a buying a pair of Beta 20's and figure I need a sub to go with them? My main interest is music but I also use them for DVD's but obviously I am not setting up surround system at the present time.

Is my assumption correct about needing a sub?

The audio video source has the PS10 on sale, would that be a good match?

If not what should I look into?

Well I got my Beta 20's set up last night and they are a great bookshelf speaker and the bass is better than expected but they just cannot reproduce the driving beat of a bass drum. I miss that so I expect I will buy the PS 10 since The Audio Video Source has it for such a good price.
ams123 is offline  
post #363 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Member
 
96redformula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams123 View Post

Well I got my Beta 20's set up last night and they are a great bookshelf speaker and the bass is better than expected but they just cannot reproduce the driving beat of a bass drum. I miss that so I expect I will buy the PS 10 since The Audio Video Source has it for such a good price.

Their are much better choices for subwoofer's for the same price. You might want to consider other companies for a subwoofer as the brand is of relatively less importance for subs.
96redformula is offline  
post #364 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
iolmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure how much better he can do for $169.00. I would agree that the PS 10 is not a great sub, but I would argue that it is a decent sub.
iolmaster is offline  
post #365 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
ams123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redformula View Post

Their are much better choices for subwoofer's for the same price. You might want to consider other companies for a subwoofer as the brand is of relatively less importance for subs.

I am open to suggestions. I had read some positive comments on Dayton Audio sub from parts express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...3&ctab=15#Tabs

I don't want to spend a lot but would consider up to $250 or $300. The PS-10 for $169 just looks like it would be a great deal.
ams123 is offline  
post #366 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Member
 
jmps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can get a HSU STF-1 for $254 on sale.
jmps is offline  
post #367 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
ams123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmps View Post

You can get a HSU STF-1 for $254 on sale.

Thanks, did some more reading and found a lot of people likes teh HSU STF-1 and BIC Acoustech H-100.
ams123 is offline  
post #368 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
GLBright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scenic southcentral Indiana
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

Subs aren't just about playing the lowest notes. Having a sub in your system for plain music listening also changes your soundstage even at times dramatically. The Beta 20's do have plenty of bass and might even be called bass heavy. Just, take a look around at other selectoins.

I agree with all you have said. But although the Beta 20s may be bass heavy, they certainly can't be called "Bass deep". And certainly not at higher volume levels. BTW I love my Alpha 20s.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
GLBright is offline  
post #369 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Member
 
96redformula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Given that price range I would probably consider the Bic H-100 for $230 shipped @ ebay, for $300 eD A2-250, for $350 the eD A2-300. If you want a nicer finish than eD and willing to sacrafice a little bit of sound compared to the eD, then go with HSU as somebody already mentioned.
96redformula is offline  
post #370 of 2337 Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
ams123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redformula View Post

Given that price range I would probably consider the Bic H-100 for $230 shipped @ ebay, for $300 eD A2-250, for $350 the eD A2-300. If you want a nicer finish than eD and willing to sacrafice a little bit of sound compared to the eD, then go with HSU as somebody already mentioned.

Yea the sub will be in plain view and that eD is ugly. I am settling on the HSU.
ams123 is offline  
post #371 of 2337 Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Member
 
imagine6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got the csw-10 to go with the rest of my Beta setup and have never used the RABOS feature. My room is small and this little sub sounds fantastic already, but I'm going to run the RABOS and see if I can hear any difference.

My question is can I use my Radio Shack spl meter instead of the supplied meter and what would the equivilent levels be?

My second question is when setting the master volume from the RABOS test cd, do I turn the sub off or leave it on? I get different levels from each setting. I've got a Harman/Kardon AVR 340 with the cross over set at 60hz for the sub.

Thanks in advance
imagine6 is offline  
post #372 of 2337 Old 10-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
iolmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a CSW-10 and you should use the supplied meter. It is specific for the frequencies you will be testing. Infinity's statement, not mine. I would also go up to 80 for the cross over. Keep the sub on to set levels.
iolmaster is offline  
post #373 of 2337 Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
GLBright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scenic southcentral Indiana
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

I have a CSW-10 and you should use the supplied meter. It is specific for the frequencies you will be testing. Infinity's statement, not mine. I would also go up to 80 for the cross over. Keep the sub on to set levels.

Agreed. Leave the sub on. I use RABOS with my Interlude IL60s and can't shut the sub off unless I run it through the LFE outputs on the receiver which I don't do. Oh, and have a spare battery for the meter. It's notorious for chewing up 9 volts and spitting them out drained in no time at all. And follow the RABOS instructions carefully. It is a neat tool for taming a major peak. I have one at 30Hz and another at 60Hz. The manual said go for the higher peak as it is usually more audible. Cutting the 60Hz peak made a for a big improvement in overall sound quality.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
GLBright is offline  
post #374 of 2337 Old 10-07-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Megalith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you guys crossing over your Beta 50s at 80hz?

I feel that they don't perform too great at lower crossovers.
Megalith is online now  
post #375 of 2337 Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Member
 
96redformula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Are you guys crossing over your Beta 50s at 80hz?

I feel that they don't perform too great at lower crossovers.

Mine are crossed at 80hz .
96redformula is offline  
post #376 of 2337 Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Member
 
imagine6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. I adjusted my crossover to 80hz and the sub does sound a little better. My beta 20's and c250 still sound the same, which is a good thing!

I ran the RABOS on the CSW-10 and found that I'm already at a pretty flat response. My room is only 10x13 so the small size must help out. I absolutely love the Beta series. IMO the best bang for the buck out there although I would have never paid retail for the CSW-10. I think when it was new it went for about a grand. I put in a pic for eveyone to view as I love to see them from other people.
LL
imagine6 is offline  
post #377 of 2337 Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Cocahoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My system currently is made up of the following-- Mains- Cerwin-Vega V-10s, Center- Beta 360, Surrounds and Back Speaker- Beta 20s and Sub- Infinity PS-12. The room is approx. 20x18 and all this is driven by an Onkyo 504. I am on the fence about whether to go with the Beta 50s or 40s to replace the Cerwin-Vegas. Any thoughts out there? I would also make someone a great deal on the Cerwin-Vegas. Jim
Cocahoe is offline  
post #378 of 2337 Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Zardnok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocahoe View Post

My system currently is made up of the following-- Mains- Cerwin-Vega V-10s, Center- Beta 360, Surrounds and Back Speaker- Beta 20s and Sub- Infinity PS-12. The room is approx. 20x18 and all this is driven by an Onkyo 504. I am on the fence about whether to go with the Beta 50s or 40s to replace the Cerwin-Vegas. Any thoughts out there? I would also make someone a great deal on the Cerwin-Vegas. Jim

If you have the space and budget for the Beta 50s, I would definitely go for them. If you go with the Beta 40s, you are going to always wonder, "What if?".
Zardnok is offline  
post #379 of 2337 Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Newbie
 
lamot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'd like to place 7.1 BETA (50's for fronts, C360 for center, SW12 for subwoofer) in my home cinema room.

I'm not sure what combination is best for 4 rears (2 surrounds for side mounting & 2 surround for back mounting):
(a) are 4 x ES-250 OK or
(b) are 4 x 20's better or
(c) is it better to use for surround 2 x 20's and for surrund back 2 x ES250's or
(d) some other combination.

Any reccomendation or do I miss something if I just buy 4 ES250's what is currently my idea?

Thank you, marco
lamot is offline  
post #380 of 2337 Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Ambrosia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamot View Post

Hello,
I'd like to place 7.1 BETA (50's for fronts, C360 for center, SW12 for subwoofer) in my home cinema room.

I'm not sure what combination is best for 4 rears (2 surrounds for side mounting & 2 surround for back mounting):
(a) are 4 x ES-250 OK or
(b) are 4 x 20's better or
(c) is it better to use for surround 2 x 20's and for surrund back 2 x ES250's or
(d) some other combination.

Any reccomendation or do I miss something if I just buy 4 ES250's what is currently my idea?

Thank you, marco

best suggestion would be, 2x 50, 2x 20s surrounds, and 2x es250s rear surrounds.

Here's what they look like, everyone can have a nice glimpse of the BETA series.
Really wonderful pictures.
http://www.minhembio.com/produktbilder/12304
Ambrosia is offline  
post #381 of 2337 Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Megalith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some of those placements are...well, odd.
Megalith is online now  
post #382 of 2337 Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Newbie
 
RandallC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks, great thread.
I've been on the fence about getting new fronts for my system for a while. I picked up a pair of Primus P362's, and while they sound pretty good, I think I want something that has a little more kick to it.

I have a crappy KLH sub from my student days. I almost prefer to just turn it off unless I'm watching an action movie. If I were to return the P362's and pick up a pair of Beta 50's, would I expect to get better bass response?

My setup:
Yamaha RX-V657 (7.1/95W)
8 or 10" KLH sub, I can't remember
Polk Audio CSi3 center
Polk Monitor 40's (I think) for rears

I went on a Polk spree for a while there, but I am very impressed with the Infinity's. I auditioned the P362's right beside a set of RTi10's, the the 362's sounded so clean compared to the bassy (muddy?) sounding RTi10's.

I want the same clarity as the 362's, but with more bass...so will those Beta 50's work?

Edit to say: I will eventually buy a better sub, but if I don't need to immediately my wallet (and neighbors) will appreciate that.
RandallC is offline  
post #383 of 2337 Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
rubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have beta 50 fronts, c360 center, athena s.5 rears and hsu vtf-3 sub,
When i use equalizer it set the crossover for front and center at 40 and size large and rears as small and crossover 100. Is this setting looks correct since i read on other posts recommending setting of small as size and crossover 80 for all speakers.
rubs is offline  
post #384 of 2337 Old 10-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Member
 
gabner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided on the Infinity Beta series for upgrading my home theater.

I'll be using the the beta 50s for the fronts and the C360 for the center.

Any reason to use the ES250s versus two more 50s for the surround speakers?

I'd like to use the 50s to avoid stands, wall mounting etc. Price isn't too much different between the two. Is there an advantage to using the ES250s? I'm a novice, no idea about bipole, dipole (I thought that was a psychiatric diagnosis).

Thanks for your help guys.
Gary

This was posted originally under the general "speakers" section but thought it would get better attention to beta owners here.

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK
Expressvu 6200
gabner is offline  
post #385 of 2337 Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Member
 
Ambrosia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabner View Post

I've decided on the Infinity Beta series for upgrading my home theater.

I'll be using the the beta 50s for the fronts and the C360 for the center.

Any reason to use the ES250s versus two more 50s for the surround speakers?

I'd like to use the 50s to avoid stands, wall mounting etc. Price isn't too much different between the two. Is there an advantage to using the ES250s? I'm a novice, no idea about bipole, dipole (I thought that was a psychiatric diagnosis).

Thanks for your help guys.
Gary

This was posted originally under the general "speakers" section but thought it would get better attention to beta owners here.

Not sure i'm new to this stuff as well, haven't been gotten any help at all from anyone about setting up a a/v reciever and 7.1 system.
Anyways i called a specialized audio shop recently and asked the price of the setup u mentioned which was my intial plan.
But the guy told me he never heard of such a setup.
Logically i think that the 20s would be better or the es250's for surrounds since that's what they specificially designed for.
I'm not sure but i think if you used the 50's they wouldn't come off as they should compared to the *real* surround speakers.
Having 6x 50s and 1x c360 would look alot better imo, but if you think about it it doesn't make much sense to use large speakers at the back.
Because you want the sound to be natural and hear it exactly to what youre seeing on the tv.

Hope that helps...
Ambrosia is offline  
post #386 of 2337 Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Newbie
 
lamot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems that we are three now (Ambrosio, gabner, me) who are relatively new in understanding these things ;-)
To me it seems that there is no clear advise which one is better to use for surrounds and back surrounds. ES250 or 50s or 20s ? I'm still not sure whether to buy ES250 or 20s for side surrounds.

For surround back I've already decided on ES250. And I think I'll buy ES250 also for surround side. However I'm a little bit nervouse because I've haven't found clear advice in the manner of "yes, 250 is better for surrounds" or "it doesn't really matter whether ES250 or 20's" ....
lamot is offline  
post #387 of 2337 Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Senior Member
 
iolmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
50s in the back is major overkill.
iolmaster is offline  
post #388 of 2337 Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rsalexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamot View Post

...However I'm a little bit nervouse because I've haven't found clear advice in the manner of "yes, 250 is better for surrounds" or "it doesn't really matter whether ES250 or 20's" ....

Im not an expert in this but here's what I've heard different times on AVS: Since the 20s are direct radiators, they would be better for multichannel music. The 250s are not designed to be direct radiators, more like diffusers (indirect radiators) and are therefore better with movie surround duty.
With music you'll want to localise sound, with movies...not so much.
If you plan on watching significantly more movies than listening to multichannel music then I would seriously consider the ES'.
One other thing, if you do go with the 20s keep in mind that they are rear ported and thus the rear cannot be placed directly against a wall. You need 4" clearance at minimum.
Though I watch movies I went with the 20s as rears in my 5.2 system, since the ES' don't come in cherry.
rsalexan is offline  
post #389 of 2337 Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Member
 
Ambrosia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamot View Post

It seems that we are three now (Ambrosio, gabner, me) who are relatively new in understanding these things ;-)
To me it seems that there is no clear advise which one is better to use for surrounds and back surrounds. ES250 or 50s or 20s ? I'm still not sure whether to buy ES250 or 20s for side surrounds.

For surround back I've already decided on ES250. And I think I'll buy ES250 also for surround side. However I'm a little bit nervouse because I've haven't found clear advice in the manner of "yes, 250 is better for surrounds" or "it doesn't really matter whether ES250 or 20's" ....

All the reviews i checked used 50/40, c360, 20s and es250s in that order of setup.
Also after reading the description on infinity's website it becomes more clear to why.

I went with 50, c360, 20, 20 myself they could arrive on Friday.
Ambrosia is offline  
post #390 of 2337 Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbaxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The C360 center seems to be well-designed for dealing with lobing & off-axis listening. Has anyone had a chance to compare the C360 with other similiarly priced center channels, such as the Polk Csi5, Klipsh Synergy III, JBL LC1, etc?
mbaxter is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2807 A V Surround Receiver

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off