Infinity Beta Owners - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Speakers > Infinity Beta Owners

Speakers

imisplacedmine's Avatar imisplacedmine
04:13 PM Liked: 10
post #451 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 2007
I just bought two Beta 50s and a beta C360. My current AVR is a Denon AVR-1705 (75w per channel). Will this be enough to drive these speakers or should I consider upgrading my AVR?

I've already been researching a new AVR on the chance that it will improve SQ and be better for powering my new speakers. For the record I have not received them yet, they will be here next Monday.
howaboutthat41's Avatar howaboutthat41
04:23 PM Liked: 18
post #452 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 255
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisplacedmine View Post

I just bought two Beta 50s and a beta C360. My current AVR is a Denon AVR-1705 (75w per channel). Will this be enough to drive these speakers or should I consider upgrading my AVR?

I've already been researching a new AVR on the chance that it will improve SQ and be better for powering my new speakers. For the record I have not received them yet, they will be here next Monday.

The cherry and black mixed color sets tend to require more power than uniform color models. Rumour has it that there is at least one additional cherry and black set out there, somewhere.
howaboutthat41's Avatar howaboutthat41
04:25 PM Liked: 18
post #453 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 255
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

1. I recommend it. Spiking adds stability, and arguably, there will be some effect on the bass.

2. Bass waves cracking concrete? Come on now.

3. No.

I was certain that someone would say the concrete would only crack if it were BOSE concrete.
lik2hvfun's Avatar lik2hvfun
06:12 PM Liked: 10
post #454 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 299
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post

I'm of in the same situation as you, where your 4308 is my 3808.
Anyways I have a few questions about setting up the subwoofer.
Since it's my first time setting up a surround system, bare with me.
There's alot of buttons at the back, i read the manual but they didn't speak to me since i'm noob at this.

So here's my settings
Fronts: Beta 50's
Center: C360
Surrounds: Beta 20's
Rear Surrounds: Beta 20's
Subwoofer: Beta SW-12
A/V Reciever: Denon 3808Ci

I live in Europe, so the living room is rather small.
I don't know how many inches it is, but in CM it would be 435x405 D x W.
So the reciever has an LFE output/input (whichever is needed for the sub).

But I need some settings, as for Phase, Frequency, Bass etc etc on the sub.
So if anyone could post their SUBWOOFER settings in a small room I could get some idea's on what to do/set them at and take it from there.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply to your question. Here's what I'm seeing:

Speaker Configuration:
Front: Large
Center: Small
Surround: Small
Surround Back: Small

Level:
Front L: 0.00dB
Front R: 0.50dB
Center: -5.5dB
SW: +0.5dB

Crossover Freq:
Front: 40Hz
Center: 40Hz
Surround A: 60Hz
Surround Back: 120Hz
SW LFE+Main: 80Hz

These were all set when I ran the Audyssey EQ. They work for my speaker setup and for the room where all of this is located. I plan to run the EQ one more time late at night when there are no barking dogs outside and no cars passing in front. Total silence I hope. If anyone is interested in the parameter curves, I could try taking pic of those and posting them.

As it is, I'm thoroughly enjoying my system.
Quickstrike's Avatar Quickstrike
07:32 PM Liked: 10
post #455 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by lik2hvfun View Post

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply to your question. Here's what I'm seeing:

Speaker Configuration:
Front: Large
Center: Small
Surround: Small
Surround Back: Small

Level:
Front L: 0.00dB
Front R: 0.50dB
Center: -5.5dB
SW: +0.5dB

Crossover Freq:
Front: 40Hz
Center: 40Hz
Surround A: 60Hz
Surround Back: 120Hz
SW LFE+Main: 80Hz

These were all set when I ran the Audyssey EQ. They work for my speaker setup and for the room where all of this is located. I plan to run the EQ one more time late at night when there are no barking dogs outside and no cars passing in front. Total silence I hope. If anyone is interested in the parameter curves, I could try taking pic of those and posting them.

As it is, I'm thoroughly enjoying my system.

You should try changing your Front speaker config to Small.

And adjust the crossover so they all read 80Hz.

From what I have read (not from experience), those are the best settings.

Audyssey does a great job balancing the speaker volume (among other things), but I have seen reviewers nitpick the way it configures the crossover freq.
Saying that the same crossover freq amongst the speakers is generally much more pleasing than multiple settings.
Ambrosia's Avatar Ambrosia
07:57 PM Liked: 10
post #456 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 51
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lik2hvfun View Post

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply to your question. Here's what I'm seeing:

Speaker Configuration:
Front: Large
Center: Small
Surround: Small
Surround Back: Small

Level:
Front L: 0.00dB
Front R: 0.50dB
Center: -5.5dB
SW: +0.5dB

Crossover Freq:
Front: 40Hz
Center: 40Hz
Surround A: 60Hz
Surround Back: 120Hz
SW LFE+Main: 80Hz

These were all set when I ran the Audyssey EQ. They work for my speaker setup and for the room where all of this is located. I plan to run the EQ one more time late at night when there are no barking dogs outside and no cars passing in front. Total silence I hope. If anyone is interested in the parameter curves, I could try taking pic of those and posting them.

As it is, I'm thoroughly enjoying my system.

Thanks alot man, much appreciated.
Atleast now I have an idea where to begin at.
lik2hvfun's Avatar lik2hvfun
10:04 PM Liked: 10
post #457 of 2353
11-14-2007 | Posts: 299
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post

You should try changing your Front speaker config to Small.

And adjust the crossover so they all read 80Hz.

From what I have read (not from experience), those are the best settings.

Audyssey does a great job balancing the speaker volume (among other things), but I have seen reviewers nitpick the way it configures the crossover freq.
Saying that the same crossover freq amongst the speakers is generally much more pleasing than multiple settings.

Thanks Quickstrike. I've just changed everything to 80Db. It sounds amazingly lovely. I'm going to leave it this way for awhile and try different genres to see if I like it. So far, I can't stop listening.
sptrout's Avatar sptrout
08:10 AM Liked: 10
post #458 of 2353
11-15-2007 | Posts: 605
Joined: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisplacedmine View Post

I just bought two Beta 50s and a beta C360. My current AVR is a Denon AVR-1705 (75w per channel). Will this be enough to drive these speakers or should I consider upgrading my AVR?

I've already been researching a new AVR on the chance that it will improve SQ and be better for powering my new speakers. For the record I have not received them yet, they will be here next Monday.

Just last week I replaced my old front speakers with the same configuration that you just bought. I have a Denon AVR-3300 (105 watts) and I had to reduce the level settings by about 5dB from their previous settings. Either the Infinity speakers are much more efficient or my old speakers were not. In any case, I think your existing receiver will do just fine (75 vs. 105 watts is next to nothing).
imisplacedmine's Avatar imisplacedmine
10:07 AM Liked: 10
post #459 of 2353
11-15-2007 | Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post

Just last week I replaced my old front speakers with the same configuration that you just bought. I have a Denon AVR-3300 (105 watts) and I had to reduce the level settings by about 5dB from their previous settings. Either the Infinity speakers are much more efficient or my old speakers were not. In any case, I think your existing receiver will do just fine (75 vs. 105 watts is next to nothing).

Great, thanks. I was just worried as to whether it would power them, and whether or not giving them too little power would harm them.
GLBright's Avatar GLBright
06:39 PM Liked: 72
post #460 of 2353
11-15-2007 | Posts: 654
Joined: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisplacedmine View Post

Great, thanks. I was just worried as to whether it would power them, and whether or not giving them too little power would harm them.

75 wpc from a Denon should be just fine, considering Infinity's high efficiency designs. Your second statement is absolutely true depending on how loud you drive them. Too little power can fry tweeters faster than eggs on a hot sidewalk. Listen for compression/high frequency distortion, and if you hear it turn the volume down pronto. All depends on how large your room is and how loud you like it.

Unless you're going to almost double the power with that new AVR you're considering, any new receiver will doubtfully improve the sound in any meaningful way. Amplifier design is so good now that almost nothing short of massive power increases will make much audible difference. And even doubling the power will only give you 3dB more headroom on the loud side. Glad you went Infinity. Please keep us posted on how you like (love) them, especially with your current receiver. Since we don't know what speakers you've been using it's tough to tell how pleasantly surprised you may be on Monday.
imisplacedmine's Avatar imisplacedmine
03:20 PM Liked: 10
post #461 of 2353
11-20-2007 | Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

75 wpc from a Denon should be just fine, considering Infinity's high efficiency designs. Your second statement is absolutely true depending on how loud you drive them. Too little power can fry tweeters faster than eggs on a hot sidewalk. Listen for compression/high frequency distortion, and if you hear it turn the volume down pronto. All depends on how large your room is and how loud you like it.

Unless you're going to almost double the power with that new AVR you're considering, any new receiver will doubtfully improve the sound in any meaningful way. Amplifier design is so good now that almost nothing short of massive power increases will make much audible difference. And even doubling the power will only give you 3dB more headroom on the loud side. Glad you went Infinity. Please keep us posted on how you like (love) them, especially with your current receiver. Since we don't know what speakers you've been using it's tough to tell how pleasantly surprised you may be on Monday.


I had four logitech THX speakers from a computer speaker system along with an older JBL bookshelf as my center and an Optimus subwoofer from an old HTiB. Not a very good setup to start with.

So, yes, I was very pleasantly surprised. Needless to say these speakers are awesome and I am very happy with my investment. I will eventually be upgrading the sub and rear surrounds. Until then I will continue enjoying my pretty new cherry Beta 50s.
Megalith's Avatar Megalith
03:22 PM Liked: 13
post #462 of 2353
11-20-2007 | Posts: 2,660
Joined: Oct 2003
As long as the crossover to set to 80 Hz or higher, any receiver should be able to drive them well.
imisplacedmine's Avatar imisplacedmine
12:24 AM Liked: 10
post #463 of 2353
11-21-2007 | Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

75 wpc from a Denon should be just fine, considering Infinity's high efficiency designs. Your second statement is absolutely true depending on how loud you drive them. Too little power can fry tweeters faster than eggs on a hot sidewalk. Listen for compression/high frequency distortion, and if you hear it turn the volume down pronto. All depends on how large your room is and how loud you like it.

After watching a few movies I noticed that on DVDs (didn't notice it on HD-DVDs) when someone screams, yells, or some other loud higher pitched noise occurs the speakers sounded compressed or distorted. I'm not sure what you mean by compressed or distorted, but to me it sounds like it cuts in and out, or is static sounding for a moment during the loud noise. This seems to occur even at low volumes. I also noticed the occasional "pop" or other noise every once in awhile. These are sounds and issues I've never had before to my knowledge. Any thoughts?
Megasabin's Avatar Megasabin
12:44 AM Liked: 10
post #464 of 2353
11-21-2007 | Posts: 123
Joined: Sep 2007
Hey Infinity Owners. Hopefully you can help me out.

I'm making a rig setup for 70% gaming/30% movie watching. So lots of shooting guns, bombs, etc...

Right now I'm debating between the Infinity Beta 20's, Dana 630's, and the AV X-sls tower.

For any of you have that Beta 20's. How do you think they would fare in this type of gaming/movie setup? If any of you have experience with the Beta 20's and gaming any input would be great.

I hear that gaming speakers should be either bipole or monopole. Do the Betas fall into either one of these categories?

Also if any of you could provide some honest comparisons with the competitors that would be really awesome.

Thanks a lot
bori's Avatar bori
12:52 AM Liked: 84
post #465 of 2353
11-21-2007 | Posts: 2,927
Joined: Sep 2006
I am planning on selling two Infinity PS212 subwoofers. These subs are in mint condition and used only for a couple of months. Let me know who will be interested. I will be selling them for 250.00 each. Shipping will be seperate these are some big subwoofers. So if you live in the Chicago area and want to pick them up let me know.
lik2hvfun's Avatar lik2hvfun
09:42 AM Liked: 10
post #466 of 2353
11-21-2007 | Posts: 299
Joined: Nov 2007
After about 4 weeks of setting up my new system, I feel I finally have it 'dialed in' the way I like it. To recap, I have a Denon 4308CI powering 2 Beta 20s each with its own passive SW; a Beta C360; an SW-12; and 4 ES250's for surround left, right and back. I have the crossover set at 60Hz which sounds better to me than at 80Hz. The 60Hz setting has more of the bass 'bottom' that I like. All of the speakers are in phase. I've redone the Audyssey EQ setup about 4 times and now have the equalization that sounds really good, again to my ears. The sound is absolutely amazing. I don't know all of the audiofile adjectives to use (or how to spell audiofile for that matter), but the clarity and distinctive sound of each instrument in the music boggles my mind. No matter the genre, I can hear each instrument playing, tell where it is coming from, and it sounds exactly as it should. A trumpet sounds like a trumpet, a saxophone sounds like a sax. The system easily handles the dynamic ranges of the music and the highs and lows go beyond the range of my hearing. Yesterday, after listening to the system for awhile, the speakers 'disappeared' and it sounded like I was listening to headphones without the headphones on. A phenomenon I've been looking for. Last weekend, I went to a performance of the local symphony. The performance was fantastic, but the music sounded 'harsh'. Am I getting spoiled? Have I reached the point where digitally reproduced sound is 'more natural' than live performances? I hope not. But I couldn't wait to get home and hear the same music through my system to see if I heard that same 'harshness'. I didn't. Thank you Infinity. Thank you Denon.
rsalexan's Avatar rsalexan
10:18 AM Liked: 10
post #467 of 2353
11-21-2007 | Posts: 180
Joined: Jun 2004
Nice system, I grabbed a 4306 and am loving it but from the THD specs the 4806CI just look so much better.
mustvid's Avatar mustvid
05:45 PM Liked: 10
post #468 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 347
Joined: Oct 2006
I'm looking at the Klipsch RB-51's bookshelf speakers and the RC-52 center speaker comparing them to the Beta 10's and C250 center. They are very similar in make up but price wise there is a difference of $230. Does anyone know if the Klipsch are $230 better than the Infinities? What are the differences between the sound sound and performance wise?
GLBright's Avatar GLBright
05:57 PM Liked: 72
post #469 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 654
Joined: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

I'm looking at the Klipsch RB-51's bookshelf speakers and the RC-52 center speaker comparing them to the Beta 10's and C250 center. They are very similar in make up but price wise there is a difference of $230. Does anyone know if the Klipsch are $230 better than the Infinities? What are the differences between the sound sound and performance wise?

Why not compare them with the Beta 20s? The price difference would be less, and the sound quality vs. value equation easier to figure out. And the Klipsch's are current models while the Betas are DC'ed. Spend the Klipsch dollar amount on Betas. But not on the 10s unless you're in a small room with a sub that can go up to 100Hz or so. Just my thoughts.
mustvid's Avatar mustvid
06:04 PM Liked: 10
post #470 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 347
Joined: Oct 2006
I really want to know which sound better. If the Klipsch sound better than i will spend the money to get them.Actually the 10's and 51's are more comparable as the 51 has a 5.25 in woofer and the the 10 has a 5 in woofer. The 20 has a 6.5 in woofer. If I go with the 20's do I need to go with the 360 center? I have a 12in JBL sub too.
GLBright's Avatar GLBright
06:15 PM Liked: 72
post #471 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 654
Joined: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

I really want to know which sound better. If the Klipsch sound better than i will spend the money to get them.Actually the 10's and 51's are more comparable as the 51 has a 5.25 in woofer and the the 10 has a 5 in woofer. The 20 has a 6.5 in woofer. If I go with the 20's do I need to go with the 360 center? I have a 12in JBL sub too.

Only you can determine which "sounds better" to you. For sure the Klipschs sound different than the Infinitys, but nothing in the speaker world is cast in stone. You either listen to both and decide, or draw straws and hope for the best. The 360 center would be my choice over the 2-way. Much superior even with the Beta 10s. In my opinion the 10s would be the better value, but I'd spend the extra cash on the 20s. The bigger mid/woofers will make a big, big, big, noticable improvement. And they'll blend better with your JBL sub.

Remember that you're on an Infinity thread. Most of us here own Infinitys. We may be a little biased.

Greg
mustvid's Avatar mustvid
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #472 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 347
Joined: Oct 2006
I do realize the bias in this thread. I got the same response from the Klipsch thread. I've heard the Klipsch but I have to drive a long way to hear the Infinities. Will the 10's tone quality match the 360 even though the woofers are different sizes?
imisplacedmine's Avatar imisplacedmine
08:27 PM Liked: 10
post #473 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisplacedmine View Post

After watching a few movies I noticed that on DVDs (didn't notice it on HD-DVDs) when someone screams, yells, or some other loud higher pitched noise occurs the speakers sounded compressed or distorted. I'm not sure what you mean by compressed or distorted, but to me it sounds like it cuts in and out, or is static sounding for a moment during the loud noise. This seems to occur even at low volumes. I also noticed the occasional "pop" or other noise every once in awhile. These are sounds and issues I've never had before to my knowledge. Any thoughts?

any thoughts?
Megalith's Avatar Megalith
09:15 PM Liked: 13
post #474 of 2353
11-22-2007 | Posts: 2,660
Joined: Oct 2003
I'd say that the speakers aren't getting enough power, but that can't be the case when it happens even at low volumes. I would try hooking it up to another receiver to see if you get the same problem.

Also, I'd imagine that a 60 Hz crossover would be too low for anything other than the floorstanders.
juiceblrc's Avatar juiceblrc
05:14 PM Liked: 12
post #475 of 2353
11-25-2007 | Posts: 282
Joined: Sep 2006
Now that you have seen both (cherry & black) which one looks better?
juiceblrc's Avatar juiceblrc
05:16 PM Liked: 12
post #476 of 2353
11-25-2007 | Posts: 282
Joined: Sep 2006
Now that you have seen both (cherry & black) which one looks better?

I am about to oder the beta's tomorrow.

Other owners' ... which do you like better black or cherry?
rsalexan's Avatar rsalexan
06:09 PM Liked: 10
post #477 of 2353
11-25-2007 | Posts: 180
Joined: Jun 2004
You won't mistake either black or cherry for fine furniture, but then again you aren't paying fine furniture prices either. I went with cherry and they look ok. Im planning to more cherry for living room. I haven't see black. FYI, the ES250's only come in black (or white) in case you are thinking about surrounds.
Quickstrike's Avatar Quickstrike
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #478 of 2353
11-25-2007 | Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceblrc View Post

Now that you have seen both (cherry & black) which one looks better?

I am about to oder the beta's tomorrow.

Other owners' ... which do you like better black or cherry?

It all depends on where you are placing them. Black suits my room better.

The finish seems comparable on both -- so it comes down to personal preference.
juiceblrc's Avatar juiceblrc
11:36 AM Liked: 12
post #479 of 2353
11-26-2007 | Posts: 282
Joined: Sep 2006
I ordered black beta's. thanks for the opinions.

What sub & receivers are all you beta owner's using?
zworykin's Avatar zworykin
01:00 PM Liked: 10
post #480 of 2353
11-26-2007 | Posts: 111
Joined: Jul 2007
Panasonic sa-xr55 here. It's just a bedroom system so I didn't need a receiver with many bells and whistles. The sound quality from it, for the $170 or so I paid, is ridiculous. The thing runs dead silent and (as far as I can tell) introduces absolutely no noise to my music. It also has plenty of power to drive the Betas beyond comfortable listening levels without distorting.

The sub will be an Elemental Designs A3-250, as soon as Fed-Ex drops it off later this week. It should blend well with the 50's, but I won't know for sure until I get a chance to hear them together.
Tags: Denon Avr 2807 A V Surround Receiver

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3