post #632 of 2338 Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

The manual says it's Bipole mode to do this. It's working as expected now. When I do a channel test I get half at a time when going through the two SUrr Back channels.

See page 3 of the ES250 manual. Placement 3 describes how to setup the speaker as two separate channels.

Yup. The "monopole" setting just runs one set of the speakers.
post #633 of 2338 Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Hello All:

I think I have decided to go with infinity speakers. It seems from everything I am reading they are a very good quality at the price point. To get anything really better in sound will be a pretty large jump in price.

I am trying to decide to go with the beta 40's or the 50's. The room is 15' x11' and opens to the kitchen on one side. I should be able to place the back edge of the speakers about 12-18 inches from the wall. The one side worries me a bit as i angle them slightly towards the listening area it will point towards a corner somewhat. I may nead some sort of treatment on that side.

I'm going to go with the c360 for the center speaker.

I have not figured what i am going to do with the surround side and back yet. I am leaning towards some kind of ceiling mount as I have some challenges in that area. The seating position is offset in the back and no walls that are matching distance from the listening area.
post #634 of 2338 Old 01-19-2008, 03:01 PM

With a good (tight, music friendly) sub I would go with 40s. That is what I did using a Hsu 2.3. :-) Without such a sub, I would go with 50s.
post #635 of 2338 Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 PM

Question... is there any place in Southern California that would have Infinity Beta speakers available for auditioning. I don't see any Infinity Beta speakers in any of the major stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, and Frys.
post #636 of 2338 Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Betas have long disappeared from the B&M stores you listed. They have been discontinued for over a year now and for the most part are only available online.

I don't really know anything. I am just repeating what I have either heard or read elsewhere.
post #637 of 2338 Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Steelyken wrote (on 01/09/08 on the Primus thread): I have an original Primus set (360s, C25 and 160s) and a new Beta set (50s, C360, and ES250s [arriving friday]), so I can give you my opinion.

Well, it's been over a week and still no opinions offered. We need a good A/B comparison, preferably done blind with innocent bystanders (I'll volunteer since I'm only 15 minutes away).

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #638 of 2338 Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Sorry I hadn't noticed you lived so close, GL. Wish I could oblige on the A/B, but I posted the complete Primus set on craigslist last Fri night and they were gone the next day. Maybe we can talk the buyer into bringing them back for a test run...

I did set them back up for his audition and they sounded good enough I didn't want to let them go, but I have a small apartment and no room to keep them.

The Betas are better speakers, though. If I had had any doubts I would have sent them back without hesitation.

I don't really know anything. I am just repeating what I have either heard or read elsewhere.
post #639 of 2338 Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the beta 50's, c250 center, primus 250 surrounds, and 150's for rear.
Not an expert, but have compared the beta 50 with the primus 250. There is
no comparison. The beta's are much better. I have the new svs mts on order, so will be getting rid of current speakers.
post #640 of 2338 Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

I have the new svs mts on order, so will be getting rid of current speakers.

And you just "know" that these new SVS towers are, by definition, "better sounding" than your trustworthy Infinity's? I think a serious A/B on-site comparison with trusted colleagues is in order before you sell your I's.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #641 of 2338 Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
GLBright, you are right maybe I jumped to conclusions, but I have the mcs-01 already to compare and I have 45 days to send back the mts-01's. Don't get me wrong I like the beta 50's, I just think the svs will be an up grade based on some early reviews.
If you are interested I will post my opinion of an A/B comparison. I wish I had some trusted colleagues to help in my area, but I don't know anyone that shares my addiction.
post #642 of 2338 Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmps View Post

I can also attest to Infinity (Harman) customer service being very good. One of my Beta 40s came with cracked grill and they sent one out promptly with just a phone call.

Just got the replacement C360 and the grill is right side up! Waiting on the other Beta 50 to make it here (1 more week) and Im all set.
post #643 of 2338 Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

If you are interested I will post my opinion of an A/B comparison. I wish I had some trusted colleagues to help in my area, but I don't know anyone that shares my addiction.

Be sure to post your thoughts on the MTS thread as well. I know what you mean about nobody sharing our addiction to great sound. Two of my friends are into audio. The rest think B*** is the pinnacle of home high fidelity. Maybe we all need to invite the great unwashed over for tea more often.

post #644 of 2338 Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 PM

Thanks to everyone who is posting such great info in this thread!

I am about to re-do my theater in a new space. I wasn't going to replace my current speaker setup, but after reading this thread and seeing some decent pricing on these models, I am re-thinking that decision. Here is what I currently am running in a non-dedicated space (large room with only a portion of it the theater)

Front L/R - Paradigm Titan V.3
Center - Paradigm CC170
Rear L/R Surround - Paradigm Atom V.3
HSU STF-2 Sub

I am very happy with the system I have. But I want to move to a 7.1 setup and the matching ADP-190's (Dipole) from Paradigm are around $500. With the Beta pricing, I would be double that, but I think I would get a very upgraded setup.

What do you guys think? My choice would be:

Front L/R - Beta 40
Center - C360
L/R Surround - ES250
Rear Surround - ES250 (a single in Bipole)

The new space will be either 14x20 or 13x20 (different rooms). Almost all theater stuff. Maybe some music.

What do you guys think? Anyone know my Paradigms? How do they compare?

EDIT - I will be powering the whole shebang with a Marantz SR5001 for now.
post #645 of 2338 Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM

I can't comment on how the Betas will improve over the Paradigms. The Beta setup does sound very good to me though and I think you would like it.

I think you mean the rear as a dual monopole for 7.1. Be sure to remove the terminal bridge straps in this configuration as one of the posters learned. Otherwise, that Marantz may go poof. :-)
post #646 of 2338 Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=Shock96;12926345]Thanks to everyone who is posting such great info in this thread!

What do you guys think? My choice would be:

Front L/R - Beta 40
Center - C360
L/R Surround - ES250
Rear Surround - ES250 (a single in Bipole)

The new space will be either 14x20 or 13x20 (different rooms). Almost all theater stuff. Maybe some music.

What do you guys think? Anyone know my Paradigms? How do they compare?
QUOTE]

I wish I could help you with a comparison, but I can't. What I can say is that I have the C360 for my center channel and the ES250s for my four surrounds and I couldn't be happier. For my front L/R I have the Beta 20s each coupled with its own Phase Tech active (non-powered) SW which I already had from my old system. I also have the SW 12. My room is attached to a kitchen and dining area, so it's not a rectangle per se. My main listening position is in the back of the room with the side surrounds in front of me and the back surrounds to the left and right behind my head. That's the main reason I chose the ES250s. I wanted at least one of each of the surround speakers pointing at my ears. The other was price, and the ability to use them as monopole, bipole and dipole. And they matched the other Infinity speakers.

For music, the Betas are outstanding to my ears. Depending upon the source, the center speaker is integral to the front channel. Being large, the C360 delivers as do the 20s. The ES250s are only for presence' and their volume is rather low for this reason. Even so, they are lovely to hear when a particular sound or instrument resonates throughout the room.

For movies, the center channel seems to carry the majority of the sound track. The surrounds provide their sound affects and the ES250s have yet to disappoint me. I haven't found anything the Beta's couldn't handle at the volume levels I like to listen, which is loud, but not loud enough to be uncomfortable after a period of time.

One thing I really like about the ES250s, is the sound I hear when I'm sitting at the dining table away from my main listening area. Due to the angle of the speakers, the back and right surround speakers are facing me. I still have the sense of listening to surround sound, and it actually sounds like music is coming from the area of the kitchen sink.

I'm powering all of this through a Denon 4308ci using all of its technology. I've also added a couple of ButtKickers to supplement the SW 12. I'm not interested in rattling everything in my house with a killer SW, so this combination works exceptionally well for me.

In summary, a discerning audiophile wanting solid burrell wood cabinets coupled with drivers delivering all of the sound adjectives the audiophiles use may not consider the Infinitys. Of course, they are also willing to pay top dollar to satisfy their needs. For me, the Infinity speakers deliver the sound I enjoy. And that's all that matters.

The Devil's in the Details
post #647 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Man, that sounds great!

lik2hvfun - How wide is your room? Is your seating near the back wall?

My main concern about running 4 ES250's is that it might be overkill. The rear seating position would be almost to the wall. And the width is about 13 or 14 feet (depending on the room I use)

Do you think 2 on the back wall would be over kill?
post #648 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post

Man, that sounds great!

lik2hvfun - How wide is your room? Is your seating near the back wall?

My main concern about running 4 ES250's is that it might be overkill. The rear seating position would be almost to the wall. And the width is about 13 or 14 feet (depending on the room I use)

Do you think 2 on the back wall would be over kill?

My room is 12' wide and 17' long. My seating is directly against the back wall. On the back wall, each ES250 is 6' to the left and right of where I sit and about 1' above my head. I don't find having the two back speakers overkill at all. They only add 'presence' for music in addition to off screen sound effects for movies. I enjoy having the two backs since they are providing more of a stereo affect with their separation. They are in no way distracting from the rest of the sound field.

The only other consideration is if you need the ES250 for the back. A Beta 10 or 20 angled towards where you sit would work. I'm using the ES250s since I had to hang them on the wall, and didn't want to use a bookshelf speaker/wall hanger combination. And, I suspect that eventually the supply of Infinity Betas will begin to dry up and I didn't want to have to go searching for another set of ES250s should I need them sometime in the future.

Due to room constraints, I had to move the two side channel ES250s 9' in front of where I sit, again 6' to the left and right and about level with my listening position. This is by no means the ideal speaker placement. However, since at least one set of each of the four speaker's drivers is facing me when I'm listening, it works very nicely. Combined with the Audyssey EQ that came with my receiver, and my ability to manually tweak the speaker settings, it all comes together beautifully with the Infinitys practically disappearing when I close my eyes and just listen.

post #649 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM

Hi,

I have a following configuration:
Front Beta50
Center c360
Receiver HK340

Currently I am using Athena cs.5 rears, Is it worth to buy ES250 (these are expensive) or I can buy beta10 or beta20

Thanks
--rubs
post #650 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubs View Post

Hi,

I have a following configuration:
Front Beta50
Center c360
Receiver HK340

Currently I am using Athena cs.5 rears, Is it worth to buy ES250 (these are expensive) or I can buy beta10 or beta20

Thanks
--rubs

My two cents, for what it’s worth, is that it all depends. Helpful, right? Since I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison of the ES250s versus the Beta 10s or 20s, I can only speak to what I’ve gleaned from reading various AVS forums and my experience with the ES250s. The Beta 10 and 20 is rear ported and should have some room behind it. The 10 seems to have the same drivers as the ES250, except each ES250 has two sets and allows you to switch between bipole, dipole, monopole or to drive each pair of speakers separately (a nice feature for a single back surround). The 20s are larger than the 10s and weigh more and require more space behind their rear port. The ES250s and 20s can probably be driven harder than the 10s. By how much, I don’t really know.

The ES250 and Beta 10’s response is: 60Hz – 20kHz (±3dB) with 87db sensitivity. The Beta 20’s is: 58Hz – 20kHz (±3dB) with 90db sensitivity. Since I’m using Audyssey EQ in my system, I’ve set all of my speakers to ‘small’ with an 80Hz crossover controlled by the receiver. With that setting, the ES250s and 10s in theory are all that I should need for the surrounds in terms of low frequency roll off, especially since I don’t drive my system to the point to where my ears bleed.

The other main consideration is your room, and whether you are doing a 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 configuration. If you have room for the bookshelf speakers and can angle them towards your listening area, I’m sure they will work fantastically. I needed to mount mine directly on the wall. Thus, I chose the ES250s. And, someday when I build my ultimate HT, it will be 9.1 system with an additional set of Beta 20s in the back corners of the room. Why Beta 20s? Because I’m using them for the fronts, I want the speakers to match, and they aren’t that much more than the Beta 10s.

I sincerely hope that someone who has experience with the Beta 10 and 20s as surround speakers will add their comments, since I don’t know what I’m talking about.

PS. I don't have a wife, so the 'wife factor' didn't even play into my decision.

post #651 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothness View Post

Just got the replacement C360 and the grill is right side up! Waiting on the other Beta 50 to make it here (1 more week) and Im all set.

My C360 came with a cracked grill. It sounds like they have a problem with this. Anyway, a quick phone call and they shipped me a new one.
post #652 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 04:42 PM

I use beta 10's as my surrounds in a 5.1 (with the 360 and the 50's as my fronts). I think the beta 10's are great for surrounds. I have not heard the ES250's. For me the too much of a price difference to get the ES250's instead of the 10's
post #653 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My equipment consists of:
  • 50" Sony SXRD TV
  • Yamaha HTR-5990 Receiver
  • 7.1 speakers Infinity Beta
  • Beta C360 center
  • Beta 50 Left and Right front
  • Beta 20 Left and Right surround
  • Infinity Primus 150 left and right rear
  • SVS PB-13 Ultra sub
post #654 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

It was because of the rear port in the Betas that I decided to use Alpha 20s as surrounds in my Infinity setup. They are front-ported. At the time the 250s were too much of a financial stretch.

post #655 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Fronts: Infinity Beta 20
Rears: Infinity RS1
Center Infinity Entra
future sub: velodyne vx-10 (now using a sony SA-W3000, returning to BB...a bit too boomy and mushy)

Denon AVR-1707 receiver (new)

I got lucky and won a used mint condition pair of Beta 20's on eebay ($130/pair + $40 shipping)....just came yesterday (eebay Item number: 130184885377 if you would like to check it out) denon avr-1707 receiver. I am in the process of purchasing a velodyne VX-10 sub. This seems to be the lowest price sub ($150-$200) of decent quality on the market today. I live in a 1 bedroom carpeted apartment.

Of course, set up is the next part of the fun. I have them on 24" omni wooden stands, toed-in a bit, 9" from the back wall, grilles on.

For all of you who use the 20's as fronts....your thoughts on the placement? I am one of those people who will drive myself crazy...should I move them further away from the wall? closer? not toed-in? They seem to sound the "warmest" and most enjoyable and natural highs with this placement. I wonder if I just imagined the difference in sound where I placed them? After all, I am using a receiver not high end separates. But I do love those airy highs. And to get these speakers for what I on my tight budget, I thought, was a steal!

I also have to wonder if the 20 year old speaker cable hurts the system...that's right 20 year old high quality (expensive monster powerline 3) cable...I had some great audio back in the 80's (Kef c80's, adcom 555, and conrad-johnson $700ish pre-amp PV6 or PV7) and sold that but kept the cable. Does speaker cable age or have a shelf life?

Love to hear how others placed there 20's and what they found improved or changed the sound. the instruction sheet, such that it is shows them straight out and not toed in

thanks!
gregg

denon AVR-1707 receiver:
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3253.asp
post #656 of 2338 Old 01-26-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregginflorida View Post

Does speaker cable have a shelf life?

No, copper doesn't have a shelf life
post #657 of 2338 Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 AM

This past year I've slowly been migrating my setup to infinity beta's. Last summer I blew out my old cheapo radio shack/optimus center and picked up a beta c360, and just this week i grabbed a pair of the beta 50 towers. Looking to get the es250's shortly for the surrounds, but what I really need is a new sub because my current one is crap. does anyone have any insight on a good sub to pair well with the infinity's that's under $500? I see that Infinity makes some subs that "match" the infinity beta series, but there's just not enough out there about them to make an informed decision.
post #658 of 2338 Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be going with 4 ES250's. Blow the bank!!
post #659 of 2338 Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebove View Post

This past year I've slowly been migrating my setup to infinity beta's. Last summer I blew out my old cheapo radio shack/optimus center and picked up a beta c360, and just this week i grabbed a pair of the beta 50 towers. Looking to get the es250's shortly for the surrounds, but what I really need is a new sub because my current one is crap. does anyone have any insight on a good sub to pair well with the infinity's that's under $500? I see that Infinity makes some subs that "match" the infinity beta series, but there's just not enough out there about them to make an informed decision.

Assuming you buy a decent sub, there's really no need to "match" the sub to the speakers in any way other than aesthetically. With Beta 50s, you can set your crossover anywhere from 60hz-80hz in your receiver, and any decent sub should be able to blend well with it. There are a ton of options in the 300-500 range, and particularly good ones in the 400-500 range. Take a look over on the subwoofer forum and you'll find a wealth of information. I use an eD a3-250 and think it's fantastic, but I do have them in a pretty small room. Something a bit bigger would probably work out better if you're in a larger room. I would definitely recommend buying from one of the internet-direct companies instead of a brick-and-mortar retailer, because--at least for now--you'll get far more bang for your buck that way. eD, HSU, av123... there are so many options it's ridiculous. In a good way, I mean
post #660 of 2338 Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Hello Beta owners. I posted a form of this question in the forum, but I was wondering what you owners would have to say.

I'm thinking about setting up a 7.1 system with:

Beta 50 fronts
Beta C360 center
Beta 40 surrounds
Beta 20 back surrounds

I have the space for the 40s and they are on a great sale right now. Does anyone have experience with the 40s as surrounds? Any opinions on that system in general? Thanks everyone.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2807 A V Surround Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page