Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCBT View Post
I wonder, where does a person buy a pair of CL4's?
OOS at Gallo.
Try Underwood HiFi.com

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/Classico CL-C Center/ CL-10 Sub/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS  "All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually, no you don't....

They are out of stock and say they don't know when they will have them. Word is that they have been discontinued.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Underwood is also sold out of CL4's and says that they are discontinued by Gallo.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:19 AM

Liked: 0
Hi again all. As threatened, I am now back for some further advice please!
Can anyone tell me the settings/switches I should set the TR-1D sub too?
For clarification this is in a 3.3 x 3.3 metre room, in a 5.1 set up with Strad 2 fronts and centre and Nucleus rear surrounds. Paired with a Denon X4100W.
Many many thanks
Old 05-24-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshire2005 View Post
For clarification this is in a 3.3 x 3.3 metre room, in a 5.1 set up with Strad 2 fronts and centre and Nucleus rear surrounds. Paired with a Denon X4100W.
Many many thanks
On the sub I would recommend start with Bypass, Auto On, Level 50%, Bass Boost 0db, Phase 0. On the AVR set LFE+Main and use Audyssey to set levels. All other speakers should be set to "Small" on the AVR. You may end up tweaking the sub levels by ear, but I'd let Audyssey set levels to start, and also let it set the crossover freq on the AVR. Positioning the sub in the room can make a big difference, relative to walls and corners specifically, so some experimentation may be necessary to find the best location and sound. If Audyssey is cutting or boosting the sub level by a large amount you can adjust the Level setting on the sub, and re-run Audyssey, to get it closer to ideal. You can try flipping the phase to 180 and see if it sounds better. 0 works best for me, but there's no harm in trying it both ways and going with whichever you prefer.

Last edited by abalone; 05-24-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
Quote:
Many many thanks
On the sub I would recommend start with Bypass, Auto On, Level 50%, Bass Boost 0db, Phase 0. On the AVR set LFE+Main and use Audyssey to set levels. All other speakers should be set to "Small" on the AVR. You may end up tweaking the sub levels by ear, but I'd let Audyssey set levels to start, and also let it set the crossover freq on the AVR. Positioning the sub in the room can make a big difference, relative to walls and corners specifically, so some experimentation may be necessary to find the best location and sound. If Audyssey is cutting or boosting the sub level by a large amount you can adjust the Level setting on the sub, and re-run Audyssey, to get it closer to ideal. You can try flipping the phase to 180 and see if it sounds better. 0 works best for me, but there's no harm in trying it both ways and going with whichever you prefer.
Many thanks for the guidance :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Many thanks for the guidance :-)
Sure. Just let us know what you think once you get it all set up and dialed in.

Last edited by abalone; 05-27-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is Gallo still in business? There are no news about gallo ref 4?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Their website is still up, and Micro, Strada, and TR Sub, Speakers are available for purchase...
So I would say that they are still in business.

So much media, so little time...

Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post
Haven’t seen much discussion of the Classico CL-4 so……

I have moved from a ref 3.1 system with an AV REF Center to Classico CL-4’s and a Classico CL-C.

I had been looking for a different center channel as my AV REF Center didn’t sound quite right. I had placed the AV REF Center about 30” from the wall in front of my RPTV on the same stand. The AV REF Center is designed to ideally be used on-wall. I thought I could EQ away the drop in mid-bass from an off-wall placement” or add it via the 3.1’s but I could never get it to sound right. Just too anemic.

So in looking for a replacement I considered the Strada’s, but read some feel they apparently have a thin mid-bass as well especially when not used with the TR subs.

I noticed the CL-C was on sale with a 60 day MBG including shipping, so I thought I’d give it a try.
The CL-C is not designed to be used on-wall and has the new CDT-III tweeter, so I hoped it would preserve most of the Gallo sound, esp. soundstaging. It does. After a 100hr break-in I did some serious listening and was surprised how much more I liked it vs the AV REF Center. A more satisfying mid-bass was especially evident on acoustic instruments and voice. I was a die-hard sealed speaker fan vs ported, but I have no issues with the sound of these.
Now my 3.1’s sounded too thin after listening to the CL-C.

I saw the CL-4’s on sale and thought, let’s give them a try. After the recommended break-in I A/B’ed them against the 3.1’s and I was really surprised at how much more I liked the CL-4’s sound, The 3.1’s mid-bass now also sounded quite thin and the CL-4’s bass was more….. coherent, for lack of a better word, and more articulate at low levels. Maybe it’s the multi front firing drivers that are responsible. I always liked the 3.1 bass but the side firing woofers, I don’t know.

Although the bass on the CL-4’s is more than adequate for my room, (13x15 well treated room), I also wanted to hear 2.1 so I ordered the CL-10 sub which further increased the coherence of the bass and refined the soundstage. This fuller, warmer presentation I found much more satisfying musically.

For years I have told my friends that they’re going to bury me with my 3.1’s. I’ll now have more room with the CL-4’s.
I love my CL-4! How do you like the Classico sub? There just is not any info out there on them and a bunch on the the TRD subs.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:23 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsap195 View Post
I love my CL-4! How do you like the Classico sub? There just is not any info out there on them and a bunch on the the TRD subs.
"How do you like the Classico sub?"

I like it a lot. My room size (13x15) is adequately energized by the CL-4's alone. I tried the sub out of curiosity and immediately noticed 2 things. First the bass became even more coherent, for lack of a better word. The 3.1's have good bass but it is very diffuse and the mid-bass is rather anemic in comparison, if that makes sense.I believe the diffuse quality is because the bass/sub speakers on the 3.1 are side-firing.
I A/B'ed the 3.1's and CL-4's for a week. The speakers on the CL-4 are all front firing speakers. I feel this makes for a significantly more coherent presentation. This is hard to describe without being able to demo it. The sub adds to this coherence especially at lower levels. My well treated room being somewhat small can only take so much volume before room reflections overload the sound. I don't have to drive the system as loud now to hear the deep bass I like, and it's more articulate as well.
It took me a week of A/B ing the system against the 3.1's before I came to a conclusion I initially resisted, but had to make after the evidence to my ears was overwhelming- I think the CL-4's, even without the sub, are a better sounding speaker than the 3.1's.... at least in my room with my ears.
I heard that 18 out of 20 or so dealers who had asked for a more box-like gallo decided to not carry them, so gallo decided to sell them online exclusively. Can't imagine what they were thinking.

Try a sub, I believe they still have a 60 day no-risk policy. I haven't heard the TRD subs.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/Classico CL-C Center/ CL-10 Sub/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS  "All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver