Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #3091 of 3112 Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly View Post
Hello All,

Any experience with bipolar surrounds and Stradas mounted LCR? Rebuilding a home theater and unsure of a "complimentary" brand, but don't want direct radiating. Since this is concerning surrounds I may be over thinking things. Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.
I'm using 5 Stradas in a 5.1 setup with all of the speakers at ear level and the surround speakers are close to the side walls (about 6 feet wide and 3 feet behind the listening position). These replaced a set of Boston Acoustics speakers including VRS Pro bipolar speakers. The bipolar speakers were great but I prefer the Stradas. The bipolar speakers were mounted about 3 feet above the listening position and directly left and right of the listening position.

If you already have bipolar surround speakers that are wall mounted, then just keep those and get 3 Stradas. You can try that out and see how you like it. Then consider temporarily disconnecting the center Strada and connect it as a surround speaker and compare the sound. I'm very happy with the wide dispersion of sound from the Stradas and I think that makes them a good choice even as surround speakers.

Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3112 Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2.1 setup with 2 x A'Diva's (non-SE) and 1 x TR1D subwoofer (the amp is an Anthem MRX 300).

I'm thinking of buying one more A'Diva to make it a 3.1 setup.

Would it make sense to go from 2.1 to 3.1 (distance between my front speakers are ca. 2 meters)?

Thanks
If you only use your system for music it will not make a huge difference in my opinion. If you use your system for television viewing and watching movies then adding a center channel speaker will significanly improve dialog and should result in a big improvement in sound.
post #3093 of 3112 Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encom Tron View Post
If you only use your system for music it will not make a huge difference in my opinion. If you use your system for television viewing and watching movies then adding a center channel speaker will significanly improve dialog and should result in a big improvement in sound.

Thanks a lot for the input, I use it for 80% movie/tv watching, so I think I'll get another A'Diva then, and go 3.1

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #3094 of 3112 Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the input, I use it for 80% movie/tv watching, so I think I'll get another A'Diva then, and go 3.1

Sent from my iPhone
Another option is to get a centre Strada if you have the funds. It will make even bigger difference as your priority is a clear, realistic movie/TV dialogue.

Also, if you have an AVR you can try different listening modes before committing a purchase. For example my Onkyo 818 AVR has a listening mode called "DD TV Logic" which i use for TV watching.

Hope this helps
post #3095 of 3112 Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exterior difference between Strada and Strada 2

Hello,

I recently purchased 3 used Strada 2's to upgrade my front 3 speakers.
The seller images show "Reference Strada II" for the sides and "Reference Strada Center" for the center.

I'd like to make sure that all 3 speakers are strada 2's for timbre matching. (Does Strada and Strada 2 timbre match?)

Can I ask owners of Strada 2 center speaker to look at the back and post what the sticker says?
post #3096 of 3112 Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a 2.1 setup with 2 x A'Diva's (non-SE) and 1 x TR1D subwoofer (the amp is an Anthem MRX 300).

I'm thinking of buying one more A'Diva to make it a 3.1 setup.

Would it make sense to go from 2.1 to 3.1 (distance between my front speakers are ca. 2 meters)?

Thanks
Just keep in mind for movies that 2.1 will work and create a phantom center channel. BUT it will only sound balanced for the person sitting in the center. So if you watch alone 2.1 is fine, if you watch with 2 or more then not so good.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/Classico CL-C Center/ CL-10 Sub/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS  "All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
post #3097 of 3112 Old 08-08-2015, 09:16 AM
MoG

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question in-wall equivalent?

Hi,
we're moving to a new house soon, and for various reasons, our living room will have in-wall LCR speakers.

I currently have Reference 3.1's for LR and a Reference Center for C.

I know nothing about in-wall speakers. I'm wondering what the wisdom of AVS can share with me regarding in-wall LCR recommendations that are on par with my current Gallo LCR.

Thanks!

snagabag.com - just a click away
post #3098 of 3112 Old 08-17-2015, 10:36 PM

did anyone tested Gallo 3.5 with Spectron amp?
post #3099 of 3112 Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there,
I very good friend of mine who has quite a lot of experience with audio is telling me that I should give the 3.5 a try. He swears by them, saying that they are very coherent and tonally balanced, although he prefers the HFs of the 3.1, which he considers to have more body, although less extension than the CDT-3. These are his opinions, but he has had the 3.1, the 3.5 and currently owns the LS-5, which, of course, are his favorites.
What I would like to know is if those who have experience with the 3.5 think that they could work well in a 9ft x 15ft room.
My equipment is in my signature and I'm very happy with my setup. I do miss the lower octaves, although I get very good LFs until around 45Hz with an overall excellent tonal balance. Since I'm moving and the measurements of my future room are the ones above I was just curious if I should give the 3.5 a try.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
André

SB Touch>Resolution Audio Cantata>Gryphon Diablo>Evolution Acoustics MicroOne
post #3100 of 3112 Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post
The Spectron was the main amplifier Anthony used when developing the 3.5, and what he used when demoing the speakers at shows. It's a very good combination.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
post #3101 of 3112 Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
Hi there,
I very good friend of mine who has quite a lot of experience with audio is telling me that I should give the 3.5 a try. He swears by them, saying that they are very coherent and tonally balanced, although he prefers the HFs of the 3.1, which he considers to have more body, although less extension than the CDT-3. These are his opinions, but he has had the 3.1, the 3.5 and currently owns the LS-5, which, of course, are his favorites.
What I would like to know is if those who have experience with the 3.5 think that they could work well in a 9ft x 15ft room.
My equipment is in my signature and I'm very happy with my setup. I do miss the lower octaves, although I get very good LFs until around 45Hz with an overall excellent tonal balance. Since I'm moving and the measurements of my future room are the ones above I was just curious if I should give the 3.5 a try.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
André
My room is 12x22 and I have my speakers about 4 feet off the back (short) wall, and about 1.5 feet from the side (long) walls, with a bunch of diffusion on the side walls, to very good effect.
reverendo likes this.

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
post #3102 of 3112 Old 08-18-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
My room is 12x22 and I have my speakers about 4 feet off the back (short) wall, and about 1.5 feet from the side (long) walls, with a bunch of diffusion on the side walls, to very good effect.
Are the woofers looking inside or outside? How low do they go approximately?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

post #3103 of 3112 Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are the woofers looking inside or outside? How low do they go approximately?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I have them facing out, and they go pretty low, been a while since I measured so don't recall, but my sub amp is augmenting the bass powering the second VC below 40Hz.
reverendo likes this.

post #3104 of 3112 Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Hi all!!!

I just recently had a baby and need to (well wife wants to get rid of) let go of my large tower fronts and large centre speakers. I have been looking at the promonitor 1000 and procenter 2000 and A'Diva SE speakers. I currently have a def tech supercube 4000 sub and an older sony 6.1 receiver. Living room size is 3.6m x 7.6m.

I wanted to know what would be he best speakers for upfront.

I live in Sydney Australia and we don't have a store here that have them to listen to.
So would love some advise/feedback what sounds best.

It will be used for both music and movies.
These look to be the best speakers for the money and my budget.
post #3105 of 3112 Old 08-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post
I have tried a dozen different high-end amps with my 3.5's. The Spectron absolutely had the best results - hands down. I love multichannel music and finally got 5 3.5's. After listening to the 2-channel Spectron amps, I really wanted the Spectron Premiere (Multichannel amp). Budget was a serious concern as the Premiere retails for almost $20K and extremely rare in the used market. Got seriously lucky one day and found a used Spectron 7-channel Premiere amp near me. Bought it and had it upgraded to the signature by Spectron. The system sounds awesome. Amazing how much they 3.5's can handle.

I highly recommend the Spectron amp.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #3106 of 3112 Old 08-22-2015, 01:52 AM

Liked: 47
Quote:
Hi there,
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
André
Reverando, ooo, you have my dream come true amp. I tried AG 3.5 with the borrowed Gryphon Tabu and I have to say that this was an amazing extension in the lower octave and super control of the speakers. No need for the extra subwoofers or SA amp in that combination. I never heard these speakers to go so low with any amp. I can just suspect that with Gryphon Diablo it would just be better as this amp is one or better say two steps higher and also more new than Gryphon Tabu. I currently use Marantz Peal amp with very nice music presentation. Speakers do not go so low as with Gryphon, but I do not need it as I help myself with two REL B2 subs which I use to enhance the lowest octaves. Cut is currently set with 28Hz at RELs.
I also removed the front grilles on the mids for AG 3.5 speakers and I noticed that I received much better presentation and dispersion of music. Better vocals, more fluidity and better energy with all the music. Also cabling of the components is very important. By this I mean ICs, speaker cables and also power cables as all the differences you make in your system will be well presented through AG 3.5 speakers.
For speaker cables and ICs I use Cardas Golden Cross. I got great body and fluidity with them, still keeping the fine micro details and imaging. It is much better than with Nordost which was a bit to sharp in for my taste and also better than Anthony Gallo OPT reference wires. For power cables I use my DIY cables that are constructed from Tempoelectric power wires (bought unterminated) and Oyaide P079 and C079 power connectors (gold). I use them on the amp and HTPC. On CD (Musical Fidelity Nu-vista) i use Tempoelectric and combination of Oyaide P004 (Berillyum copper) and C079 (gold). But this cabling is a final touch and final calibration as with them you just put the last weight for the optimization of the sound on how you prefer it the most.

best, d.

Last edited by delfincek; 08-22-2015 at 02:18 AM.
post #3107 of 3112 Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM
KKM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using the Crown XLS series amp to work like the Gallo SA to activate the 2nd VC in the Ref 3.X since it has xover capability? I've curious as to the potential of my 3.5's bass. I don't want to invest a lot of money on the Gallo SA to find out but willing to get the Crown since they are trying to sell them on the cheap to make way for the new models. I also have extra 2 channel amp sitting around but don't know if crossover is needed or how to wire everything to make it work.
post #3108 of 3112 Old 08-23-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My room is approximately 15X25, I have to sit on the short axis. My Ref 3.5 work very well in this position. You will want to experiment with position of course and will likely find that they will be farther apart than you expect to get a very broad soundstage. I find where the Ref 3.5 really shine is in the dynamic sound of drums and percussion.

I use an HK990 integrated amp and am very pleased with it. Certainly plenty of power. I use it crossed over at 60z to a pair of Infinity IM4.1 that I use for wide surround and subwoofers. Very tight and well defined bass.

I don't think you can just take an amp and hook it up to the woofer terminals. it is best if you can run the primary amp full range and then cross over the bass amp at 80 hz. I am pretty sure I read somewhere you can blow everything up if you don't do that.

the SA amps have been around for pretty cheap these days, I have seen them for $500. Probably your best bet. With my Ref 3.5 crossed over at 80 hz I am very surprised at the amount of output from the woofers considering their crossover point is supposed to be 80 hz.

Enjoy!
post #3109 of 3112 Old 08-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post
Reverando, ooo, you have my dream come true amp. I tried AG 3.5 with the borrowed Gryphon Tabu and I have to say that this was an amazing extension in the lower octave and super control of the speakers. No need for the extra subwoofers or SA amp in that combination. I never heard these speakers to go so low with any amp. I can just suspect that with Gryphon Diablo it would just be better as this amp is one or better say two steps higher and also more new than Gryphon Tabu. I currently use Marantz Peal amp with very nice music presentation. Speakers do not go so low as with Gryphon, but I do not need it as I help myself with two REL B2 subs which I use to enhance the lowest octaves. Cut is currently set with 28Hz at RELs.
I also removed the front grilles on the mids for AG 3.5 speakers and I noticed that I received much better presentation and dispersion of music. Better vocals, more fluidity and better energy with all the music. Also cabling of the components is very important. By this I mean ICs, speaker cables and also power cables as all the differences you make in your system will be well presented through AG 3.5 speakers.
For speaker cables and ICs I use Cardas Golden Cross. I got great body and fluidity with them, still keeping the fine micro details and imaging. It is much better than with Nordost which was a bit to sharp in for my taste and also better than Anthony Gallo OPT reference wires. For power cables I use my DIY cables that are constructed from Tempoelectric power wires (bought unterminated) and Oyaide P079 and C079 power connectors (gold). I use them on the amp and HTPC. On CD (Musical Fidelity Nu-vista) i use Tempoelectric and combination of Oyaide P004 (Berillyum copper) and C079 (gold). But this cabling is a final touch and final calibration as with them you just put the last weight for the optimization of the sound on how you prefer it the most.

best, d.
Hi D,
It's great to find someone who has had a direct experience with Gryphon and the 3.5. I honestly believe that Gryphon amplification is the best that I know of out there and I have had heard quite a lot of different gear. I used to used to have a Tabu before the Diablo and believe me when I say that, although the Tabu is excellent, the Diablo is so much more.
I am very conscious about cabling and I see that you've played around with the Oyaide plugs. I, too, have changed the original connectors on my ASI Liveline power cable for P004 and C079, getting a little from the warmth of the latter and the resolution from the former.
I thought the grilles for the mids were fixed. How did you remove them?
If the 3.5 go down to 28Hz they just might be what I'm looking for, since I have been missing the frequencies from the mid 40s to around 25Hz.
Thanks for you update. Now I'm even more curious. I'll try to find someone nearby that might have them.
Best regards

post #3110 of 3112 Old 08-23-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post
My room is approximately 15X25, I have to sit on the short axis. My Ref 3.5 work very well in this position. You will want to experiment with position of course and will likely find that they will be farther apart than you expect to get a very broad soundstage. I find where the Ref 3.5 really shine is in the dynamic sound of drums and percussion.

I use an HK990 integrated amp and am very pleased with it. Certainly plenty of power. I use it crossed over at 60z to a pair of Infinity IM4.1 that I use for wide surround and subwoofers. Very tight and well defined bass.

I don't think you can just take an amp and hook it up to the woofer terminals. it is best if you can run the primary amp full range and then cross over the bass amp at 80 hz. I am pretty sure I read somewhere you can blow everything up if you don't do that.

the SA amps have been around for pretty cheap these days, I have seen them for $500. Probably your best bet. With my Ref 3.5 crossed over at 80 hz I am very surprised at the amount of output from the woofers considering their crossover point is supposed to be 80 hz.

Enjoy!
Are you saying that you believe that I can't drive the whole speaker with my integrated amp? Mine is pretty powerful and I thought that it should be able to drive this speaker easily. Please let me know your thoughts.
Best regards

post #3111 of 3112 Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:
Hi D,
It's great to find someone who has had a direct experience with Gryphon and the 3.5. I honestly believe that Gryphon amplification is the best that I know of out there and I have had heard quite a lot of different gear. I used to used to have a Tabu before the Diablo and believe me when I say that, although the Tabu is excellent, the Diablo is so much more.
I am very conscious about cabling and I see that you've played around with the Oyaide plugs. I, too, have changed the original connectors on my ASI Liveline power cable for P004 and C079, getting a little from the warmth of the latter and the resolution from the former.
I thought the grilles for the mids were fixed. How did you remove them?
If the 3.5 go down to 28Hz they just might be what I'm looking for, since I have been missing the frequencies from the mid 40s to around 25Hz.
Thanks for you update. Now I'm even more curious. I'll try to find someone nearby that might have them.
Best regards
Hi reverendo,
about removing mid tone grilles on Gallos. No, they are not fixed. I also thought so, but I managed to remove them. We discussed about that
on page 102 here. I use some fine but still strong enough screwdriver and I was very careful when I slide it in an opening between the housing and the grille. I removed them without any damage, but was afriad at the begining that I might damage something, but that did not happened. Gallo is made very robust.
Yes I also believe that Gryphon is a pure monster and it really enables Hi-Fi equipment to show its best. It has a total control of the speakers and music that you hear is heard on a very truthful way.

About the frequency response of AG here is one good review with some measurements in that respect. Gallo is actually 34Hz (+-3Db). I have my REL B2 set to start to cut at 28Hz but it goes in slope down slowly. But unfortunately I do not have any graph for that sub to see. I just calibrated it while listening so that it blends with AG 3.5 perfectly and dissapears and to have very uniform bass. I believe you will achive an amazing bass with Gryphon. I had Tabu on trial and it was really, really great. Much better than while using AG SA Amp. I also had this amp on trail two times to drive second voice coil of AG 3.5. But I recognized that this amp brings some micro distortion in the frequency spectre so mids and highs are not that smooth as if you do not use AG SA amp, so I abandoned the idea of to use amp to power the second voice coil on AG 3.5 and I went REL way. I also wrote about these experience in this forum theme some years back,

best, D.

reverendo likes this.

Last edited by delfincek; 08-25-2015 at 05:57 AM.
post #3112 of 3112 Unread Today, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - new to the forum, looking forward to contributing where I can. After moving to a smaller space, I need to downsize my current Magnepan setup. I just picked up 5 A'Diva SE's with floor stands for the fronts, and wall brackets for the rear and center. They will be driven by an NR1605. I currently have an old Polk PSW10, which in the given space (10'x12', where 12' is the front wall) provides enough low end to be sufficient. Sonically, however, it is not the best.

What do you all recommend - is it best to invest in a new subwoofer prior to setting everything up - ie., Micro/MinVee, SuperCube 2000 both fit the space well, or should I wait and see if the Polk will sonically fill in the required gaps?

Thanks for the advice, and looking forward to getting this system up and running!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page