Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Strada II Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad View Post
Hi. I'm am looking at purchasing the Stradas, and I haven't found anything comparing the Stradas and the Stradas 2. Can anyone shed some light on the differences? I see some very good deals on the Stradas, the 2's are harder to come by other then new.

Thanks
Also, please see the Dec. 2012 review on the 6Moons website for a more detailed comparison:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo14/1.html

Last edited by Kodak805; 12-19-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
The CDTs are very robust, indeed -- I still have a pair of aluminum Solos from the 1990s and the CDTs still sound as good as new. Darkened because of oxidation, but still amazing.

The Solos are probably my all-time favorite speakers in terms of sound/design balance (the original Reference was too big visually for me
I still use a set of the Original Poly sphere'd Solos, Would love to find a set of the Aluminum Solos for sale one day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solo.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1133802  

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
I still use a set of the Original Poly sphere'd Solos, Would love to find a set of the Aluminum Solos for sale one day...
There is one on Ebay right now.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
There is one on Ebay right now.
Thanks, local pick-up on the wrong coast

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
Old 12-23-2015, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak805 View Post
Also, please see the Dec. 2012 review on the 6Moons website for a more detailed comparison:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo14/1.html
I found a pair of SS/bk Strada 2's with a TR-3D sub on audiogon locally. Drove to The Rockaways here in NY and had a long listen of just the Stradas. (the sub was still unopened) It took about thirty seconds of listening to decide, and I took them home. Bought a set of sanus 30" steel foundation series stands, filled with kitty litter and blu-tak'd the Stradas down. Amazing the difference in the soundstage and "openness" of these speakers. I had been hanging on to a vintage velodyne ULD-15 for years, which the TR-3D replaced. I had my doubts about the 10" driver compared to the Velo's 15, but hands down, the Gallo is far better. At least for the relatively small room (12x18) it goes a low as I would want and as loud. So tight and clean. Awesome.

I'll still be playing around with locations, but overall I'm thrilled. Looking around for a center - and am debating picking up another used one, but it seems the Strada's are more easily found then the 2's, and am concerned about matching the front soundstage for HT purposes... We'll see.

I am using some cheap-o cables, as my MIT MH-750 S3 biwires just don't work with these. May look at some kimber 8tc's. Who knows.

All in all, thrilled with these. And my girlfriend is thrilled with the size compared to the Martin Logan Ascents they replaced!

Last edited by mchad; 12-23-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:32 PM

Now that I have been thoroughly enjoying the Strada 2's, I need another for the center channel. I have been looking at a original Strada for $599 vs. a Strada 2 for $1060. I am leaning towards the $599 original. Any thoughts on timber matching as a center channel for HT purposes?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:52 PM
rlw

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KKM wondered:

"Anyone using the Crown XLS series amp to work like the Gallo SA to activate the 2nd VC in the Ref 3.X"

I have an 5.2 all-Gallo HT system comprising 3.1s for front L/R, and Ref. AV/Center at all other positions. I use 3 amps for this setup: Crown XLS 1500 for the front L/Rs, Outlaw 7100 for Surrounds and Center, and a Crown XLS 1500 for the secondary voice coils of the main speakers.

I am not using the Crowns' built-in crossover because my Emotiva XMC-1 has a more capable crossover for me to use. I can tell you that the Crown driving the secondary voice coils is doing a terrific job! I'd always wanted to try configuring the system this way but somehow never got around to it. Dumb move on my part. The depth and authority that the system now has is really quite nice. I essentially now have a dual 10" sub system with >500 watts available for each of the "subs".

I am quite glad I did this and it might be advisable to go ahead and grab a Crown or two since they're on closeout - I bought mine for $200/ea. delivered from Amazon...

-RW-
Old 01-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Thoughts on surrounds to work with Strada 2's

I now have Strada 2's for L C R. I currently have a pair of older Monitor Audio mini bookshelf speakers as surrounds, but have been considering getting a pair of Gallos for mounting on my ceiling. Not going to consider more Stradas, just can't spent the $, and don't think they're necessary as surrounds. Wondering if the A'diva SE's or the nuclieous micros would be acceptable with the Stradas. Any experience with that?
Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't have the funds for a Strada II center right now. Will an A'diva SE suffice?

Or, according to Steve Guttenberg, I don't even need a center when it's just me and the lady watching films straight in front of the TV:

http://www.cnet.com/news/attention-h...annel-speaker/

Should I even bother?

Denon AVR-X4000 receiver ($622)
Gallo Strada 2 fronts + Mapleshade stands ($600)
Gallo A'diva SE surrounds ($300)
HSU VTF-2 sub ($215)
Hisense 55H6SG 55" smart TV ($218)
Harmony 650 remote ($40)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I now have Strada 2's for L C R. I currently have a pair of older Monitor Audio mini bookshelf speakers as surrounds, but have been considering getting a pair of Gallos for mounting on my ceiling. Not going to consider more Stradas, just can't spent the $, and don't think they're necessary as surrounds. Wondering if the A'diva SE's or the nuclieous micros would be acceptable with the Stradas. Any experience with that?
I called Gallo with the same question. The A'diva SE is perfectly paired for the Strada IIs as a surround. They even sell the Stradas and A'divas as a package. I didn't ask about the Micros.

HSU VTF-2 sub ($215)
Harmony 650 remote ($40)
Old 01-02-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCookin View Post
Don't have the funds for a Strada II center right now. Will an A'diva SE suffice?

Or, according to Steve Guttenberg, I don't even need a center when it's just me and the lady watching films straight in front of the TV:

Should I even bother?
I picked up my L&R's and and sub nib from a local seller I found on another site for a good price, and I bought the center from hifiheaven.com for $699 delivered. They are an authorized Gallo dealer, so you can't beat that deal...

Just in case that gets you closer...
Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 PM

Thanks mchad but my budget is about $400.

Anyone using a single A'diva SE as a center?

HSU VTF-2 sub ($215)
Harmony 650 remote ($40)
Old 01-03-2016, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No center channel?

Quote:

Should I even bother?
If you don't have a physical center channel then you will be listening to a virtual center channel created by your L and R speakers.
This will sound fine for whoever is sitting in the sweet spot created by the L&R speakers. Anyone outside that sweet spot will hear the center channel skewed to one side or the other.

Again, a virtual center works for one person only, unless you're ok with the center channel imbalance when sitting outside the sweet spot.

I'll take an anchored center channel (speaker) over a virtual one for multiple viewers any day.

But note, the AdivaSE will work, but the issues Guttenberg raises with a speaker center vs a virtual will be exacerbated compared to using a Strada for a center.

All scenarios involve some compromise.

Sony HW40 ES, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/ Classico CL-C Center/ CL-10 Sub/ Classico CL-2 surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku X, Darbee Darblet, Silver Ticket 110" White Screen  "All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM

If you don't care about mfgrs warranty, you can get an A'diva for about $200 from a half dozen unauthorized resellers, as well as a few on eBay for even less. I wouldn't go that route for an expensive piece, but for a $200 speaker it may be worth saving 1/3. I'm considering it for a pair of A'diva SE's for surrounds.

Though I agree that it may make more sense to use the virt center until your budget allows you to buy a third Strata. Nothing better then three identical speakers in the front...

Last edited by mchad; 01-03-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If you don't care about mfgrs warranty, you can get an A'diva for about $200 from a half dozen unauthorized resellers, as well as a few on eBay for even less. I wouldn't go that route for an expensive piece, but for a $200 speaker it may be worth saving 1/3. I'm considering it for a pair of A'diva SE's for surrounds.

Though I agree that it may make more sense to use the virt center until your budget allows you to buy a third Strata. Nothing better then three identical speakers in the front...
This is exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. Just picked up two SEs for $150 apiece for surrounds. I guess I'll hold off until I find a really good deal on a Strada II center.

HSU VTF-2 sub ($215)
Harmony 650 remote ($40)
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
This is exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. Just picked up two SEs for $150 apiece for surrounds. I guess I'll hold off until I find a really good deal on a Strada II center.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the $150 A'diva SE's? I'm looking for a pair and that's a good price.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I guess I can join the AG club now, I have a pair of Ref 3.1s and the SA amp arriving Thursday. I've also had the Classico 10 sub for almost a couple months now, it integrates well with the LSA 2.1 Signatures but the Signatures just fall apart when I crank it up.

I have a 2.1 system in a 12'x12' room, system powered by a Cambridge CRX 120 receiver and primary audio source is an Oppo BDP 105D.

Any tips? Keep the CLS-10 or use the SA amp on the second coils on the Ref 3.1? Do I have enough power in the receiver(100/120/155w into 8/6/4 ohms) or would I be better off with a larger power amp? What about toe-in? Or tilt vs. elevated stands? Or anything else you guys can think of?

I've read probably 30 pages of this thread so far and I'm slowly working my way through.

TIA,
Bill

Last edited by billg71; 01-05-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the $150 A'diva SE's? I'm looking for a pair and that's a good price.
Disregard. Just ordered a pair.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Should I even bother?
Much really depends on your set up. I don't use a center with my Ref 3.5 left and right, but they are behind the screen, and seating isn't any wider than the screen, so the center never really pulls hard left or right even if you're not sitting dead center. Why not just try it and see what you think(?)

Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Should I even bother?
Maybe a second hand Strada (original)?

To me, the center channel makes a significant difference. You get a real focus for the dialogues. It's not the same with the simulated 2 Ch setup. They do sound different.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuniverse View Post
Maybe a second hand Strada (original)?

To me, the center channel makes a significant difference. You get a real focus for the dialogues. It's not the same with the simulated 2 Ch setup. They do sound different.
I can agree with that. I also have much better experiences with central channel speaker present. I don's use Gallo speaker for central as I have Canton CD360F.

best, d.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Strada 2 suddenly died...?

I'm needing some wisdom from other Strada 2 owners.

I turned on my system today trying to show off the sound of my Strada 2. After enjoying the strada 2 for a couple years, it suddenly went silent. At first, I suspect that it was my pair of Emotiva amp (which of course didn't do justice for the Strada 2), but after swapping in my humble Denon AV receiver to power the Strada, it's still silent. I check that the signal cable from my CD player to my Denon is working by listening through a headphone.

I haven't made any changes to the wiring etc. It just suddenly went dead. Strangest thing I have experienced in audio component.

Remaining possibility are:
(1) bad speaker wires (which I'll borrow another pair of speakers from friends to verify it's not the wire.)
(2) dead speakers.

What else could possibly have gone wrong? I'm really scratching my head for this one. I sent an email to Anthony Gallo to seek advice. Will update this thread when I get any response.

My system:
Emotiva XPR-100 monoblock per Strada 2 (Left & Right)
old Denon AV receiver used as power amp to power the center speaker Strada 2
Oppo BDP-105 used as a CD player + pre-amp

I know the above set up is not optimal but it was what fit into my budget at that time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
---
Chris
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 PM

Chris, unless you were blasting them and coincidentally blew them both, I find it astronomically unlikely that both speakers, both wires, or both amps blew up at the same time. Start by disconnecting the wire from the center channel you say is working, and connect it to one strada at a time. That will narrow it down to speaker or component. From there it shouldn't be hard to identify the problem. I know you say you tested it, but my vote is the receiver or the oppo. Did you try plain old FM?
barryecohen likes this.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Chris, unless you were blasting them and coincidentally blew them both, I find it astronomically unlikely that both speakers, both wires, or both amps blew up at the same time. Start by disconnecting the wire from the center channel you say is working, and connect it to one strada at a time. That will narrow it down to speaker or component. From there it shouldn't be hard to identify the problem. I know you say you tested it, but my vote is the receiver or the oppo. Did you try plain old FM?
I'm pretty sure that it's not the Oppo because when I connect the Oppo to my Denon Receiver and listen to CD via the headphone output of the Denon, I can hear music. Just not via the speaker. And my center channel Strada is also dead silent. I agree with you that it's astronomically unlikely that all 3 speakers are dead silent all of a sudden. I also tried each speaker wires on each speaker. All permutation has resulted in dead silence. I'm going to dig up my old speakers and CD player from my storage to test more this weekend.

If you guys can think of any other possibility (no matter how unlikely), I'm all ears. I'll willing to try anything before I send them back to Anthony Gallo for investigation. It'd cost me a kidney to ship them back from Canada.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light.wave View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's not the Oppo because when I connect the Oppo to my Denon Receiver and listen to CD via the headphone output of the Denon, I can hear music. Just not via the speaker. And my center channel Strada is also dead silent. I agree with you that it's astronomically unlikely that all 3 speakers are dead silent all of a sudden. I also tried each speaker wires on each speaker. All permutation has resulted in dead silence. I'm going to dig up my old speakers and CD player from my storage to test more this weekend.

If you guys can think of any other possibility (no matter how unlikely), I'm all ears. I'll willing to try anything before I send them back to Anthony Gallo for investigation. It'd cost me a kidney to ship them back from Canada.
When I was demoing an amp I was selling, I took a ipod headphone to rca cable direct to the amp inputs and played through that (starting at the lowest volume of course) - you may want to try that on your amps. I now am leaning to the denon being the culprit...
Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all, I've been reading that quite a few people are elevating the Ref. 3.5's. I'm looking at the CL-3's. Any word on if people are doing that with these speakers, as well?

Kodak805 is using those blocks from Birco. If you didn't need to elevate your speakers, I wonder if one of their ballistic 1.5" thick panels would be useful under a speaker (cut to fit the speaker footprint).
http://www.blackironrubber.com/ballistic_rubber.html
Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 PM

Hi all, I've been reading that quite a few people are elevating the Ref. 3.5's. I'm looking at the CL-3's. Any word if people are doing that with these speakers, as well?

Kodak805 is using those blocks from Birco. If you didn't need to elevate your speakers, I wonder if one of their ballistic 1.5" thick panels would be useful under a speaker (cut to fit the speaker footprint).
http://www.blackironrubber.com/ballistic_rubber.html
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Hi all, I've been reading that quite a few people are elevating the Ref. 3.5's. I'm looking at the CL-3's. Any word if people are doing that with these speakers, as well?
I haven't heard of people elevating the CL-3, from my brief experience with them, you may need to angle them forward a bit, depending on where they are in relation to the seating position. I had them about 15' from the seating position, and the tweeter was aimed too high at that distance.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of CL-3's and a CL-C today. Looking forward to them arriving. I'm guessing the fact that the baffle is tilted upward is why no elevation is needed with these.

I don't know what I'm going to do with rear channels. For now I'm going to see if I can get by with my old NHT SuperZero xu's for awhile. I tend to not get caught up in speaker wire, so, I'm hoping my old (approx 15 years old) AudioQuest Type 6+ will be sufficient with the CL-3's. However, I could get a good deal on a set of used AudioQuest CV-8's if I wanted to make a change. I'm assuming these speakers will have no trouble with spade connections. Out of curiosity, do they accept BFA style banana plugs (I think they are also called z plugs).

Update: Just got them out of the box and noticed that there were no attachable feet, despite looking like they accept them. I did get the gel pads. I'm fine just using those since they will be on hardwood floor. Just curious.

Last edited by Quattro; 01-30-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Has Anyone Tried the CL-2's?

I am looking at a pair of CL-2's at what seems like a bargain price of $369. Has anyone compared these to other bookshelves or the Strada? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver