Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 11 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #301 of 3013 Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenmc View Post

Anyone who owns these speakers can you comment on the above?

I do not have the Refs but I can say that my AVs definitely improved after a couple hundred hours of "break-in". I would say they sounded more "open" and the bass improved.

I would also agree with some of the previous posters that my AVs ended up sounding better off the walls. I was worried I would have problems placing on the shelves of my entertainment center, but they ended up sounding excellent. I went with my Gallos as an upgrade from my old micro set. I always loved the wonderful sound quality for music AND movies while still blending in with a sculptural kind of appearance.

My setup:
Front - Gallo Ref AV
Center - Gallo Ref AV
Side - Gallo Due
Rear - Gallo Due (currently only 1)
Sub - HSU VTF2 and JBL PB-10 (live in a condo so big bass is not an option)

Cables - RadioShack 16 gauge copper and Gallo supplied
Sub Interconnect - RadioShack 18 gauge copper with RCA splitter

Amp - Onkyo TX-NR905
TV - Panasonic Gen5 42" Plasma (soon to be Pio 6010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3013 Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still waiting on my Ref 3.1's to arrive but does anyone have any suggestions for mutli-channel power amps that mate well with the Ref 3.1's?
post #303 of 3013 Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM

I'm currently running the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 with my Ref 3.1s, Ref AV Center, and Due surrounds and am very happy with its performance.
post #304 of 3013 Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal View Post

I'm currently running the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 with my Ref 3.1s, Ref AV Center, and Due surrounds and am very happy with its performance.

Looks like a nice amp but it's double the price I will be looking at. I'd like to stay in the $3000-$3500(CDN) range. I guess I should have specified that.
post #305 of 3013 Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Looks like a nice amp but it's double the price I will be looking at. I'd like to stay in the $3000-$3500(CDN) range. I guess I should have specified that.

I sent you a PM regarding the amp.
post #306 of 3013 Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Check out Parasounds amps...That's the route I think i am taking.
post #307 of 3013 Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 PM

If you ordered Gallo 3.1's though your dealer, roughly how long did it take to get them?
post #308 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you ordered Gallo 3.1's though your dealer, roughly how long did it take to get them?

Two weeks.
post #309 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Two weeks.

Hmmm, going on 3 weeks now, my dealer said they had very little stock?
post #310 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm, going on 3 weeks now, my dealer said they had very little stock?

I've had mine for over 18 months. I suppose it's conceivable that he got them from another dealer instead of directly from Gallo. I didn't pay that much attention to the shipping paperwork.
post #311 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I've had mine for over 18 months. I suppose it's conceivable that he got them from another dealer instead of directly from Gallo. I didn't pay that much attention to the shipping paperwork.

Well I assumed they're coming directly from Gallo as he said they have to come from California, which is where Gallo is located? Iceman, what are you using to power your Gallo's?
post #312 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I assumed they're coming directly from Gallo as he said they have to come from California, which is where Gallo is located? Iceman, what are you using to power your Gallo's?

Pioneer 84TXS and the Gallo SA. The Pioneer is 140W x7 channels but I'm only using the front two. I like all the inputs it has, especially HDMI but I keep watching Audiogon for an Anthem P2 relativly close by. 325 per channel and I'll use the Pioneer as a preamp.
post #313 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Pioneer 84TXS and the Gallo SA. The Pioneer is 140W x7 channels but I'm only using the front two. I like all the inputs it has, especially HDMI but I keep watching Audiogon for an Anthem P2 relativly close by. 325 per channel and I'll use the Pioneer as a preamp.

Seems like I'm thinking the same way as you. I was looking at the Anthem A5 or MCA 50 and then someday down the line adding the matching pre-amp. I don't know much about Anthem other than they're CDN and linked to Paradigm. Most comments I've read seem to be favorable. Right now I have an Arcam AVR300 but would look to add the A5 or MCA50 and use the Pre-Outs on the Arcam. That P2 looks like a beast, 75lbs.
post #314 of 3013 Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems like I'm thinking the same way as you. I was looking at the Anthem A5 or MCA 50 and then someday down the line adding the matching pre-amp. I don't know much about Anthem other than they're CDN and linked to Paradigm. Most comments I've read seem to be favorable. Right now I have an Arcam AVR300 but would look to add the A5 or MCA50 and use the Pre-Outs on the Arcam. That P2 looks like a beast, 75lbs.

Yeah, I know. I live an apt right now and I think I'm going to have to run a heavy duty extension cord into my guest BR cause it draws so much current. I picked up a squeezebox several months ago and I listen so much more now that I'm always looking for little improvements.
post #315 of 3013 Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 AM

I ordered my reference 3.1's in early january and am still waiting for them to come in, the dealer said they should be here within a week....
I just bought a Marantz 8002 reciever, which ive read has a pretty good integrated amp as far as recievers go.. I can't decide whether to use the marantz amp, and buy the SA amp to help power them, or spend the money on a seperate amp and use the marantz as a preamp....later possibly adding the SA amp, or a sub. Im not sure the marantz will have enough power as I do like to crank speakers, and listen to everything (hard rock, country, classic rock, rap/hip-hop, r&b, easy listening, techno). I will also be using them for HT. As usual, money is an issue........Any sugguestions? Ive been trying to figure this out for months now while ive been waiting patiently for my speakers.....

post #316 of 3013 Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt View Post

I ordered my reference 3.1's in early january and am still waiting for them to come in, the dealer said they should be here within a week....

Damn 2 months!!!! That means I'll be looking at mid to late April before I get mine...... which is a long wait. I can't believe that Gallo doesn't have enough stock to have these out within a couple of weeks, ridiculous!!!!
post #317 of 3013 Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:

I just bought a Marantz 8002 reciever, which ive read has a pretty good integrated amp as far as recievers go.. I can't decide whether to use the marantz amp, and buy the SA amp to help power them, or spend the money on a seperate amp and use the marantz as a preamp....later possibly adding the SA amp, or a sub. Im not sure the marantz will have enough power as I do like to crank speakers, and listen to everything (hard rock, country, classic rock, rap/hip-hop, r&b, easy listening, techno). I will also be using them for HT. As usual, money is an issue........Any sugguestions? Ive been trying to figure this out for months now while ive been waiting patiently for my speakers.....

Nobody has any advise?

post #318 of 3013 Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

Take the Marantz back and spend your money on some decent seperates. Adding an amp to your Marantz will improve the sound some, but not nearly as much as having a nice preamp. You purchased excellent speakers, so my recommendation is to look at something like a Rotel amp and processor or equivalent. You will be much happier in the long run...believe me. I know that money is an issue, but if you can spend the extra now, you will be happier in the long run.
post #319 of 3013 Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novex View Post

Take the Marantz back and spend your money on some decent seperates. Adding an amp to your Marantz will improve the sound some, but not nearly as much as having a nice preamp. You purchased excellent speakers, so my recommendation is to look at something like a Rotel amp and processor or equivalent. You will be much happier in the long run...believe me. I know that money is an issue, but if you can spend the extra now, you will be happier in the long run.

I can't return it.....i got it half off, thats why i bought it in the first place...i need to focus on an amp now, later I can possibly buy a pre-amp...wanna know if its makes more sense to buy the SA amp and add another amp later, or is there another amp for around the same price that it would make more sense to buy now, and maybe add the SA amp later?

post #320 of 3013 Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't return it.....i got it half off, thats why i bought it in the first place...i need to focus on an amp now, later I can possibly buy a pre-amp...wanna know if its makes more sense to buy the SA amp and add another amp later, or is there another amp for around the same price that it would make more sense to buy now, and maybe add the SA amp later?

Just wait for the speakers to arrive and break them in while you evaluate what you have. I didn't pick up the SA until a couple of months after I got the Ref3.1's. Depending on the speakers you're running now, the Gallo's will probably be a significant upgrade by themselves. Enjoy them for a while before you try to plan your next move, you may decide to do nothing. I've had mine for about 18 months and as I mentioned several posts above, I'm looking for an amp with high current capability just to see what difference it will make. I still plan to use my Pioneer as a pre, at least initially. The journey never ends until my funds run out. :lol:
post #321 of 3013 Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Just wait for the speakers to arrive and break them in while you evaluate what you have. I didn't pick up the SA until a couple of months after I got the Ref3.1's. Depending on the speakers you're running now, the Gallo's will probably be a significant upgrade by themselves. Enjoy them for a while before you try to plan your next move, you may decide to do nothing. I've had mine for about 18 months and as I mentioned several posts above, I'm looking for an amp with high current capability just to see what difference it will make. I still plan to use my Pioneer as a pre, at least initially. The journey never ends until my funds run out. :lol:

How much of a difference did the SA make? What was the difference?

post #322 of 3013 Old 03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much of a difference did the SA make? What was the difference?

I don't think I'm articulate or knowledgable enough to describe what I am hearing but if I had to choose one word it would "warmth". I have the boost set to +3db, the crossover set to 40hz and both phase controls set at 0 degrees. The volume controls are currently at about 11:30, if looking at the face of a clock. There is enough flexibility to fine tune to your environment or really screw things up.

I don't seriously listen to orchestral music where there are instruments that routinely go below 40hz, my tastes are more toward acoustic rock, classic rock, female vocals, etc. I do have an MP3 track that I downloaded. It is the theme from the movie Troy titled "Remember" with Josh Groban on vocals and some chick wailing in the background, and they are backed by a symphony orchestra. There is quite a bit of bass below 40hz that I can hear with the subamp off but it becomes much more forward and detailed with the amp on. Most significant is when they are striking what must be a large kettle drum. With the amp turned off I can hear the initial impact of the mallet against the drumhead, which sounds almost like a thump, followed by a slight reverb. With the subamp on the attack is louder and much more defined and I can also here that drumbeat sustain and then decay. I don't hear that with the amp off. On Tupelo Honey from Van Morrison, some of the lower notes on the electric bass sound fuller and I like the effect. I don't know if this is correct or not but I like it. On John Mellencamp, I can hear some kick drum sustain and decay but the bass guitar is unaffected.

So the bottom line is the benefit to you will depend on your room and the types of music you listen to. The good thing is that you can add the amp later if you think you need it. Hope your speakers arrive soon!
post #323 of 3013 Old 03-10-2008, 05:36 PM

So I finally got my reference 3.1's today after waiting patiently for 2 months. My salesman told me to hook one speaker up out of phase (switch the positive and negative) on one speaker and play at high volume to break in faster. It sounded a bit weird to me, but i tried it... Within 10 minutes of playing using My brand new marantz 8002 reciever...everything cut out. I checked the manual for the reciever and it said that if the red light is blinking fast.....take it in for service...which it was, so basically i think i fried my receiver. Not a good day for me.....i guess i should have went with my gut feeling and not listened to the salesman.....now i probably have to wait another month to get my reciever fixed, hoping that it is covered by warranty. Has anyone ever heard of playing these speakers out of phase to break them in?

post #324 of 3013 Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Has anyone ever heard of playing these speakers out of phase to break them in?

I have heard this suggestion before. In fact, in this very thread, Vishal recommends wiring them out of phase for break-in (maybe you should PM him). Even though I've heard of doing this, I cautiously wired mine in phase. Anyways, sorry about your receiver. Maybe you should take this opportunity to return it for a refund. Marantz wil be offering an affordable prepro and matching 8 channel amp in June (av8003 - $2599, mm8003 - $2399). You could probably get a good deal on the pair because of what happened to your receiver. I am also interested in this combo, but wonder if the amp's 140 watts/channel will be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal View Post

Some suggestions on break-in: I wired my Refs out of phase and faced them towards each other. I then wrapped them in multiple blankets and really let 'em crank for a few days.

post #325 of 3013 Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM

I wish i could exchange or return it, but i got the marantz VERY cheap from a friend of mine who works for a wholesaler, and they dont do returns, or do warranty work...I have to go straight to marantz for repairs

post #326 of 3013 Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Can anyone recommend a 2 channel amp to run reference 3.1's for $1000 or less... I was looking at NAD c272 possibly. Or, should I just wait until I save more money?

post #327 of 3013 Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:

So I finally got my reference 3.1's today after waiting patiently for 2 months. My salesman told me to hook one speaker up out of phase (switch the positive and negative) on one speaker and play at high volume to break in faster. It sounded a bit weird to me, but i tried it... Within 10 minutes of playing using My brand new marantz 8002 reciever...everything cut out. I checked the manual for the reciever and it said that if the red light is blinking fast.....take it in for service...which it was, so basically i think i fried my receiver. Not a good day for me.....i guess i should have went with my gut feeling and not listened to the salesman.....now i probably have to wait another month to get my reciever fixed, hoping that it is covered by warranty. Has anyone ever heard of playing these speakers out of phase to break them in?

Glad to see you finally got your 3.1's. I've only been waiting a month so hopefully I'll get them within a couple of weeks. Sorry to hear about your reciever, that's a total bummer!
post #328 of 3013 Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a 2 channel amp to run reference 3.1's for $1000 or less... I was looking at NAD c272 possibly. Or, should I just wait until I save more money?

Anyone ever heard the 3.1's with a NHT power2 or power5? somebody in another thread recommended it, but ive never heard of it.....its on clearance everywhere which makes me nervous...but they are both 200 watts a channel

post #329 of 3013 Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi, new to this thread but a happy Gallo Ref 3.0 owner for a few years now.

Just a comment on this, I really do not think it being out of phase will have any impact on the receiver. If it was fried, I am guessing it would have done the same if you were in phase. I may be wrong but I have never heard anywhere that being out of phase may damage a receiver only the sound quality.

Now the second thing, I don't see how this can help break in a speaker unless the point is point it to drive the speakers harder without you pissing your neighbors off as the bass being out of phase will cancel each other out quite a bit. Especially if they are both facing towards each other, hence you can drive them with higher power yet it will not be as loud if you had them in phase. But just my speculation, I can't think of another reason to do this.
post #330 of 3013 Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc115 View Post

Hi, new to this thread but a happy Gallo Ref 3.0 owner for a few years now.

Just a comment on this, I really do not think it being out of phase will have any impact on the receiver. If it was fried, I am guessing it would have done the same if you were in phase. I may be wrong but I have never heard anywhere that being out of phase may damage a receiver only the sound quality.

Now the second thing, I don't see how this can help break in a speaker unless the point is point it to drive the speakers harder without you pissing your neighbors off as the bass being out of phase will cancel each other out quite a bit. Especially if they are both facing towards each other, hence you can drive them with higher power yet it will not be as loud if you had them in phase. But just my speculation, I can't think of another reason to do this.

your right, the point was to drive them hard while canceling the bass.......i dont know what happened either......all i know is the receiver worked with my old speakers, but after 5 minutes of listening to the gallos, the power cut off, and it wont come back on......it was extremely hot, but i would have thought it would have some kind of cut off before doing damage when it gets hot.....maybe im wrong.....ill find out when i take it in..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page