Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #3271 of 3296 Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjk View Post
I have a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5's. One tweeter is not functioning. I see that others have had this similar problem. Has anyone found a solution?

Are there any tweeter replacement alternatives? Is the Strada tweeter the same? I was thinking I could maybe purchase a Strada and replace it that way.

I heard this tweeter is almost indestructible. Is it more likely to be a crossover failure than and element failure? I haven't opened them up to take a look at the crossover yet.

Thanks

Scott
Just order one from Gallo and replace it. It cost me $99 plus shipping.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3296 Old 10-05-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMovieNut View Post
Just order one from Gallo and replace it. It cost me $99 plus shipping.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
By the way, there is no crossover between the midranges and the tweeter. There is a step-up transformer to supply the necessary voltage. The tweeter is a bit of a pain to replace, but not that bad. The biggest problem I had was the bag of polyolefin flakes has a very wide mesh (at least on the Ref 3.1s), tears easily and the flakes leak out, making a mess.

Here are the steps:

Remove the screws holding the back plate on and remove he back plate.
Carefully move the bag of flakes out of the way to gain access to the screw for the top ball and the tweeter wires
Remove the allen screw that holds the top midrange and ball.
Carefully pull the mid-range wires through to give you some slack to move the ball and midrange out of the way.
Remove the top plate of the tweeter
Inside the stalk, cut the tweeter wires. Make sure you leave plenty of slack from the transformer.
Remove the tweeter and pull the wires through.
Insert the new tweeter and thread the wires through the hole in the stalk. This may take some time as the hole is covered with RTV to provide a seal.
Put shrink tubing on either set of wires (from the transformer or the tweeter.
Solder the wires from the transformer to those of the tweeter.
Use the soldering iron or a heat gun to shrink the tubing.
Replace the tweeter top plate.
Replace the mid-range ball and pull the mid-range wires back into the stalk.
Screw in the mid-range allen screw.
Put the bag of flakes back in position
Replace the back plate and screw it in.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
barryecohen likes this.
post #3273 of 3296 Old 10-05-2016, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That a relief. Thanks for the reply.

I just received a very quick reply from Stephen in the UK. He's the new product manager. Looks like $127 shipped for the tweeter.

So with this problem being either the tweeter or the transformer I'm assuming I can use a multi-meter to check voltage at the transformer. At this point the tweeter isn't making ANY sound at all.

Or from experience is it generally only the tweeter that fails?

Thanks

Scott
post #3274 of 3296 Old 10-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor View Post
I am looking at a pair of CL-2's at what seems like a bargain price of $369. Has anyone compared these to other bookshelves or the Strada? Any thoughts?
Greetings, I just purchased (waiting for shipment) a pair of CL-2's today (Oct 5th 2016). I have been looking for a better than average bookshelf (as least something close to a full range that I could afford) and decided to get the Gallo's. I don't know a lot about them, but on paper, seemed to be a great all wood quality speaker with impressive specs. I had them shipped to my daughters house and I won't be there until the end of December. But I will update when I can. Pretty excited about listening to them.

lostnamerica
post #3275 of 3296 Old 10-06-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjk View Post
That a relief. Thanks for the reply.

I just received a very quick reply from Stephen in the UK. He's the new product manager. Looks like $127 shipped for the tweeter.

So with this problem being either the tweeter or the transformer I'm assuming I can use a multi-meter to check voltage at the transformer. At this point the tweeter isn't making ANY sound at all.

Or from experience is it generally only the tweeter that fails?

Thanks

Scott
I fried my tweeter (a flash and then smoke) with high frequency/high power oscillation and the transformer was fine. Even after that the tweeter produced sound, though it was distorted. Since yours is producing no sound at all, I would investigate further before ordering the tweeter. You won't be able to measure at the transformer because the leads are tightly shrink wrapped. If you remove the top ball and pull the tweeter leads through a bit you can get access to the connection points to the tweeter itself. That is were I would measure. Your multimeter will need a high voltage scale. Use a low level sine wave for your measurement.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
post #3276 of 3296 Old 10-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Can anyone give me the depth dimension for the Strada's with the wall mount?
post #3277 of 3296 Old 10-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on the Strada vs the Strada 2 for a center channel? I have Strada 2's for left and right mains and A'Diva SE's for surrounds. I can purchase a Strada 1 center channel now or I would probably have to wait until mid November to get the Strada 2 center channel.
post #3278 of 3296 Old 10-12-2016, 03:32 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post
And if anybody in the U.S. is looking I have my Ref 3.5 for sale as well. Still has the plastic on the gooey base. I thought these were my forever speakers but I got a deal too good to pass up on a pair of Raidho C1.
You got PM.
post #3279 of 3296 Old 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What, if any, stands are people using with Strada / 2 when placed on a desk?
post #3280 of 3296 Old 11-06-2016, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TR-3D Auto-Sensing

I've got a couple of TR-3D that pair with the Strada 2 and set these to "auto" to conserve power etc. The issue is that the subs don't regularly turn on when music starts which means one needs to change the switch to "on". One thought is that with the external x/o set to feed the subs 35 to 80Hz there might not be enough of a trigger to start. Has anyone seen this issue? And are there any suggestions to resolve?
post #3281 of 3296 Old 11-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco67 View Post
I've got a couple of TR-3D that pair with the Strada 2 and set these to "auto" to conserve power etc. The issue is that the subs don't regularly turn on when music starts which means one needs to change the switch to "on". One thought is that with the external x/o set to feed the subs 35 to 80Hz there might not be enough of a trigger to start. Has anyone seen this issue? And are there any suggestions to resolve?

You might try "turning down" the volume pot on the sub, and "turning up" the output of the LFE output, so that a stronger signal is sent to the SUB to both turn it on, and keep it on during the movie.
barryecohen and Zydeco67 like this.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #3282 of 3296 Old 11-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco67 View Post
I have TR-1Ds and had a similar problem when I first installed them. Mine would actually start but there was a delay, and they would cut off if there was a period in the music with insufficient sub output. I contacted Gallo and was told to leave them ON, and not to use AUTO. The impression I got was it's a known issue, and there's no reliable workaround other than leaving them in the ON setting. The back panel does stay a bit warm to the touch all the time, but other than that (and one that died but was quickly replaced under warranty) I've had no other issues.
Zydeco67 likes this.
post #3283 of 3296 Old 11-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
I have TR-1Ds and had a similar problem when I first installed them. Mine would actually start but there was a delay, and they would cut off if there was a period in the music with insufficient sub output. I contacted Gallo and was told to leave them ON, and not to use AUTO. The impression I got was it's a known issue, and there's no reliable workaround other than leaving them in the ON setting. The back panel does stay a bit warm to the touch all the time, but other than that (and one that died but was quickly replaced under warranty) I've had no other issues.
I've owned at least 10 subwoofers over the past 20 years (still have 4 in the house), and every one of them had issues with auto sensing turn on/off, particularly at low to moderate volume.

My solution now is to either leave a sub on all the time, or, in the case of my home theater, the sub is on a triggered outlet that automatically turns on and off with the AVR.
abalone and Zydeco67 like this.
post #3284 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Still in business?

Is this company still in business? I have been to the web site a few times over the past 7 or 8 months looking for info on the Strada 2s. There is a notice saying; Sign up to get notified when this product is back in stock. As I said this has been going on for months.
post #3285 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbinnc713 View Post
Is this company still in business? I have been to the web site a few times over the past 7 or 8 months looking for info on the Strada 2s. There is a notice saying; Sign up to get notified when this product is back in stock. As I said this has been going on for months.
I heard Anthony sold out his business. No posts on his Facabook page since March 15.
post #3286 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbinnc713 View Post
http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?p=46383809

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
post #3287 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkTom View Post
I heard Anthony sold out his business. No posts on his Facabook page since March 15.
Thanks for the response. Any idea if the new company will continue making the Strada 2s, if so, when they might start selling them? I am looking for quality speakers, no more than 7.25" in width and these seem to fit my needs. Anyone have other suggestions?
post #3288 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
I spoke to them (in Scotland) recently and they said they might have some new stock early in 2017. I didn't ask what of.

They were recently selling off some new AV Ref speakers and have a pair of Strada 2 in the clearance section: http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/clearance/
post #3289 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian AS View Post
I spoke to them (in Scotland) recently and they said they might have some new stock early in 2017. I didn't ask what of.

They were recently selling off some new AV Ref speakers and have a pair of Strada 2 in the clearance section: http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/clearance/
Anthony kept promising a new reference speaker for over a year, maybe this new outfit will be bringing that out.
post #3290 of 3296 Old 11-12-2016, 05:15 PM

Some while ago I asked William Fried if it was possible to have a couple of extra 'balls' to go with the Strada for louder bass so far as they are able, down to 50Hz or so, as the AV ref has four balls.

Seeing the recent add, I rang to ask about the Ref AV that were on sale.

I wondered of there was any chance of converting a pair of those AV ref to have the Strada cones, front extensions, tweeter, so as the keep the clarity of the Strada but have a that bit of bass reinforcement for the lower octave or two, but somehow without needing a big coil in series with the extra pair. The Ref 3.5 has a 6mH coil in series with the bass unit and 80uF in series with the mid units. I don't know how it was done with the AV Ref. Anyone here know?

I wondered about making up an active crossover and using four matching power amps, one pair for the Strada and one pair for the bass. I'll probably never be able to afford to buy all this ready made at the kind of markup the Hi-Fi industry makes. But I can make cross over and amps myself for the price of the components. It remains to be seen if active crossover op-amps beat passive coil and capacitors with these speakers.

Last edited by Ian AS; 11-12-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #3291 of 3296 Old 11-13-2016, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi everyone, looking to replace my current receiver (Denon 4520). Would any of you know if an Anthem or Arcam pairs better with AG 3.5 refs, Strada and Adiva TIs?
post #3292 of 3296 Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
anyone know where I might source a pair of in-wall brackets for the micros - quickly?
post #3293 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

So is it possible to find a Strada 2 center anywhere? If anyone is looking to sell theirs or knows a dealer who may still have one please let me know
post #3294 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I've got a minty black Strada 1 center available, in box. I had it running with Strada 2s right and left and it sounded great. It comes with a wall mount.
post #3295 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCookin View Post
I've got a minty black Strada 1 center available, in box. I had it running with Strada 2s right and left and it sounded great. It comes with a wall mount.
I might take you up on that as i have the 3.5s and these match that correct? The only thing is i need the stand not the wall mount.
post #3296 of 3296 Old Today, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpoos View Post
I might take you up on that as i have the 3.5s and these match that correct? The only thing is i need the stand not the wall mount.
I believe they do. They certainly matched my Strada 2s just fine.

Feel free to call me or email me directly: ph 949-891-2291 or jcbrock@gmail.com

I will also have Strada 2 left and rights becoming available as well.

Denon AVR-X4200W receiver
Gallo Strada 2 fronts on Mapleshade stands
Gallo Strada 2 center
Gallo A'diva SE surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sub
Hisense 55H6SG 55" smart TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver