Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3331 of 3340 Unread 02-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Member
 
RDD337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GA SA Amplifier

Is it worth it to buy this amplifier for the REf3/3.1/3.5 speakers to power the 2nd voice coil? Does it make a big difference to the sound specially for music? Is there any other amplifier that have the same features as the GA amplifier? Thanks.

Last edited by RDD337; 02-16-2017 at 01:24 PM.
RDD337 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3332 of 3340 Unread Yesterday, 03:43 AM
Newbie
 
gljuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Croatia
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I'm following this thread for over a year now and decided to finally register, as I can provide some info and personal experience on this question.

Short answer: Yes and no.
From the thread history it seems that it depends on people's own preference (as everything regarding sound). Throughout the posts a general consensus was reached that the Gallo aplifier was more necessary with ref 3.0 and 3.1 speakers, as they're a bit harder to run.

Long explanation:
When I bought the ref 3.5 speakers I powered them with an anemic NAD D3020 amplifier which was originally used for running Divas and TR2 woofer. As this amplifier had only 30 Wpc@8 ohms, it produced virtually no bass. When I bought the speakers I also got the Gallo amplifier in the price, so I used it to power the secondary voice coil. The amplifier crossover was tuned by ear to a high 150 Hz to achieve a flat response in combination with the D3020. This pairing worked perfectly well for both music (which I listen a lot) and movies. The bass response was linear to about 35 Hz and audible above 20 Hz. I haven't heard the speakers with two separate subwoofers to comment on such integration, but I was utterly impressed with the stereo bass when film effects asked for left-right interchangeable explosions.

After about a year, the Gallos were too much for the D3020 and burned the amplifier's output stage. Thanks to Gallo amplifier's versatility, for the last 9 months I use it to power the main speaker connectors, with the secondary connectors disconnected/open. The bass response is linear to about 60 Hz, but I do miss the extra bit. Even in music (I listen to mostly classical and jazz) the bass sounds a bit "thin". It is present, but not in the previous fullness.

Long answer: Depends on your current amplifier(s) and sonic preference.
Anthony usually (always?) demoed the speakers with a pair of high powered monoblocks (I think about 500 Wpc@8 ohms) and without the secondary coils powered, so the Gallo amplifier isn't necessary for representative sound. I haven't heard them yet amplified like that, so I can't comment on the sound. If you have the chance to try the amplifier out, you should definitely do it. Only you can tell does it make a significant difference to your ear or not.

Hope this helps!
gljuss
gljuss is offline  
post #3333 of 3340 Unread Yesterday, 09:22 AM
Member
 
RDD337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljuss View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm following this thread for over a year now and decided to finally register, as I can provide some info and personal experience on this question.

Short answer: Yes and no.
From the thread history it seems that it depends on people's own preference (as everything regarding sound). Throughout the posts a general consensus was reached that the Gallo aplifier was more necessary with ref 3.0 and 3.1 speakers, as they're a bit harder to run.

Long explanation:
When I bought the ref 3.5 speakers I powered them with an anemic NAD D3020 amplifier which was originally used for running Divas and TR2 woofer. As this amplifier had only 30 Wpc@8 ohms, it produced virtually no bass. When I bought the speakers I also got the Gallo amplifier in the price, so I used it to power the secondary voice coil. The amplifier crossover was tuned by ear to a high 150 Hz to achieve a flat response in combination with the D3020. This pairing worked perfectly well for both music (which I listen a lot) and movies. The bass response was linear to about 35 Hz and audible above 20 Hz. I haven't heard the speakers with two separate subwoofers to comment on such integration, but I was utterly impressed with the stereo bass when film effects asked for left-right interchangeable explosions.

After about a year, the Gallos were too much for the D3020 and burned the amplifier's output stage. Thanks to Gallo amplifier's versatility, for the last 9 months I use it to power the main speaker connectors, with the secondary connectors disconnected/open. The bass response is linear to about 60 Hz, but I do miss the extra bit. Even in music (I listen to mostly classical and jazz) the bass sounds a bit "thin". It is present, but not in the previous fullness.

Long answer: Depends on your current amplifier(s) and sonic preference.
Anthony usually (always?) demoed the speakers with a pair of high powered monoblocks (I think about 500 Wpc@8 ohms) and without the secondary coils powered, so the Gallo amplifier isn't necessary for representative sound. I haven't heard them yet amplified like that, so I can't comment on the sound. If you have the chance to try the amplifier out, you should definitely do it. Only you can tell does it make a significant difference to your ear or not.

Hope this helps!
gljuss
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using Pioneer AVR VSX-1121 110watts/ch to drive my Ref3s. Instead of buying new receiver I decided I will buy amp to power the 2nd voice coil and see if I like it or not. Can you or anybody here recommend and amp that has the same features as the Gallo SA amp? I'm just concerned if I buy used GA amp(around $400) most of them are 5yrs old or older with no warranty. I prefer to get a new amp if possible with warranty for the same price or a little higher for peace of mind. Thanks.
RDD337 is offline  
 
post #3334 of 3340 Unread Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
gljuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Croatia
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using Pioneer AVR VSX-1121 110watts/ch to drive my Ref3s. Instead of buying new receiver I decided I will buy amp to power the 2nd voice coil and see if I like it or not. Can you or anybody here recommend and amp that has the same features as the Gallo SA amp? I'm just concerned if I buy used GA amp(around $400) most of them are 5yrs old or older with no warranty. I prefer to get a new amp if possible with warranty for the same price or a little higher for peace of mind. Thanks.
I haven't tried looking for alternatives as (for the time being) my S.A. amp works properly, but on page 87, post #2590 has this answer to a similar question (I can't quote the post as I have only 1 post):

You don't need a 'subwoofer' amplifier. Any 2-channel amp with sufficient power, damping factor and ohm ratings will suffice. The Crown XLS2500 works just fine for subwoofers (although I would consider the 3.5's to have bass modules, not subwoofers). 445wpc@8ohms, 775wpc@4ohms.

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
(Pablo Picasso)
gljuss is offline  
post #3335 of 3340 Unread Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
barryecohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: GSP Exit 165, NJ
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljuss View Post
You don't need a 'subwoofer' amplifier. Any 2-channel amp with sufficient power, damping factor and ohm ratings will suffice. The Crown XLS2500 works just fine for subwoofers (although I would consider the 3.5's to have bass modules, not subwoofers). 445wpc@8ohms, 775wpc@4ohms.
This isn't entirely true, as there is no Crossover to the second Voice-Coil, and if you send it a full range signal, only the driver's natural roll-off will control the frequencies produced by the speaker.

I use a Dayton Audio SA-1000 to good affect...

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...table--300-811

I've been running 1 for some time, but may grab a second at some point for true two-channel low bass.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
barryecohen is offline  
post #3336 of 3340 Unread Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Member
 
RDD337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
This isn't entirely true, as there is no Crossover to the second Voice-Coil, and if you send it a full range signal, only the driver's natural roll-off will control the frequencies produced by the speaker.

I use a Dayton Audio SA-1000 to good affect...

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...table--300-811

I've been running 1 for some time, but may grab a second at some point for true two-channel low bass.
Can I use this to power both left & right 2nd voice coil of my ref3? Do i get stereo bass or mono bass? Thanks.
RDD337 is offline  
post #3337 of 3340 Unread Yesterday, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
barryecohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: GSP Exit 165, NJ
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
Can I use this to power both left & right 2nd voice coil of my ref3? Do i get stereo bass or mono bass? Thanks.
Pretty sure it's mono-bass with a single unit, but I have mine set with the crossover at around 50 Hz, and there usually isn't much channel separation at frequencies that low.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
barryecohen is offline  
post #3338 of 3340 Unread Today, 02:14 AM
Senior Member
 
delfincek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hiya, I dont have AG 3.5 anymore, but I lived with them for almost 5 years. There is a bit less alternatives for SA amps as in the past. At least while I had a quick browsing through the internet. Here is one: Please click dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier. With two of these you can have even better setup than with one AG SA amp. Lots of settings. They also produce stereo subwoofer amplifier but it is not so powerful as SA1000.
I really wanted to put AG SA amp in the chain but at the end I did not opt for it. Read here on this page and continue to the next why. Start with Kodak's post. There are also some links there to earlier discussions. Anyway i would dare to try SA amp anyway and see how it works with your setup and if you are able to observe what I and some of us did or maybe not at all.

best, d.

Last edited by delfincek; Today at 02:18 AM.
delfincek is online now  
post #3339 of 3340 Unread Today, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Kodak805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kodak in SE TN (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ref 3.5 Amplifier Discussion Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using Pioneer AVR VSX-1121 110watts/ch to drive my Ref3s. Instead of buying new receiver I decided I will buy amp to power the 2nd voice coil and see if I like it or not. Can you or anybody here recommend and amp that has the same features as the Gallo SA amp? I'm just concerned if I buy used GA amp(around $400) most of them are 5yrs old or older with no warranty. I prefer to get a new amp if possible with warranty for the same price or a little higher for peace of mind. Thanks.
This amplifier topic has been discussed at length and in detail in earlier posts.

See Page 96 Post #2880

Pages 97 thru 98 Posts #2906 thru #2926.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Kodak805; Today at 09:25 AM.
Kodak805 is online now  
post #3340 of 3340 Unread Today, 11:02 AM
Member
 
Kodak805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kodak in SE TN (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
Is there any truth to this? A store who sells some AG speakers told me that Ref 3.5 speakers will be re introduce again this year. It will be available around October with $4500 MSRP. Anybody heard about this? Thanks.
A Ref 3.5 replacement has been announced many times over the last several years with the postponements rendering the announcements meaningless. Consequently my anticipation and enthusiasm has waned unfortunately.

Assuming that this time an actual product is forthcoming, that $4500.00 price point does not give me encouragement.

When Gallo introduced the Strada II, which is the MTM module of the Ref 3.5, they replaced the superior neodymium magnets with ferrites. My pair have the original Strada neodymiums. I also know the original robust dual voice coil woofers are no longer available. The pictured mounting feet eliminate the substantial composite viscoelastic base combination. I also wonder if the very expensive Dynamicap TRT Stealth bypass capacitor will be retained.

I have had patience this long although Gallo has strained it many times. Considering my technical comments and that price point, I expect for now to keep my ref 3.5's for awhile because I do not forsee how the replacement can incorporate any improvements over the original design of the Ref 3.5.
Kodak805 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off