Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
post #3361 of 3387 Unread 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just like yours for aesthetic reason mine is about 6" from rear wall, straight forward and woofers in. I tried 12" from rear wall which is the max I can do since my room is not that big. To me the sound is about the same. Actually I think the sound from 6" away is better than the 12" or maybe its just my imagination toe in or not, woofers in or out to me again it sounds almost the same in my room. Maybe my ears are not critical enough to hear the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3387 Unread 03-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
Just like yours for aesthetic reason mine is about 6" from rear wall, straight forward and woofers in. I tried 12" from rear wall which is the max I can do since my room is not that big. To me the sound is about the same. Actually I think the sound from 6" away is better than the 12" or maybe its just my imagination toe in or not, woofers in or out to me again it sounds almost the same in my room. Maybe my ears are not critical enough to hear the difference.
I also found no difference between the woofer's in or out orientation, but I keep them pointing out due to furniture between them. Each speaker has about 4 ft to the side wall, so there is plenty of breathing space. There is some difference in soundstage depending on toe-in and I actually prefer the sound without the toe-in.
I'm sure Kodak805/HowardV have the best listening experience for music/films, but I can live with the compromises for practical/aesthetic reasons because the Refs are such great performing speakers.

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
(Pablo Picasso)
post #3363 of 3387 Unread 03-04-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone tried buffing out slight scratches on the stainless?

How did it turn out?

What method did you use?

What products do you recommend?

Denon AVR-X4200W receiver
Gallo Strada 2 fronts on Mapleshade stands
Gallo Strada 2 center
Gallo A'diva SE surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sub
Hisense 55H6SG 55" smart TV

post #3364 of 3387 Unread 03-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Cleaning the stainless steel part

Just wondering if anybody here use stainless steel cleaner or polisher to the stainless part of the speakers? I tempted to do it but scared. I like to take off the grill of my speakers and want the stainless part to look clean. Thanks.
post #3365 of 3387 Unread 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco67 View Post
Thanks. I'll try a x/o around 150Hz. The complication is that with the rolloff of Strada at about 80Hz it is difficult to get the total (acoustic + electric) x/o to be symmetric; i.e., if I use a LR4 the the Strada output is -24dB/oc down to 80Hz and then -36dB/oc below 80Hz. It might not be an issue given that this region could be dominated by room modes but I seem to recall that the rule of thumb was for drivers to be flat 2 octaves below / above the x/o point.

Re: higher x/o. Your points are well put and understood. The specific situation here is a bit different for two reasons: 1) the bass units are dual isobaric 8" woofers based on Scan Speak drivers and are flat to well above 600Hz and 2) the Strada / woofers are co-located; i.e., the woofers are the stand upon which the Strada sit. The rationale for the 320Hz x/o was the flat for 2 octaves rule but the fact that Gallo use a x/o around 150Hz for the 3.1/3.5 and desire to get as close as possible to a quasi point source means that I'll definitely follow the advice for a lower x/o.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
An update. I've set-up a symmetric LR4 (24dB/oct) cross-over between the Strada and Bass Bins at 160Hz, and then used the mini-DSP to delay the Strada to deal with phase issues (thus removing a cancelation at the x/o point). Next step was to take measurements at the listening position of the bass bins alone and use parametric EQ to align response with the target. All this has worked well with the system sounding a lot better than with the Strada running full range and lower x/o point of 80Hz.
post #3366 of 3387 Unread 03-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Just wondering if anybody here use stainless steel cleaner or polisher to the stainless part of the speakers? I tempted to do it but scared. I like to take off the grill of my speakers and want the stainless part to look clean. Thanks.
I use a dry micro-fiber cloth to remove dust, but I've never seen any "stains" on the enclosures that would require a cleaning solution.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
post #3367 of 3387 Unread 03-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
I use a dry micro-fiber cloth to remove dust, but I've never seen any "stains" on the enclosures that would require a cleaning solution.
There is some fingerprints on some parts of the stainless section of the speakers. Most likely from the previous owner. I think it is safe to use stainless steel cleaner/polisher.

One more thing, do you turn on the amp that drives your 2nd voice coil when running the calibration? I just got the used Gallo amp and wondering if I should turn on the 2nd coil or not during calibration using my AVR. Thanks.
post #3368 of 3387 Unread 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is some fingerprints on some parts of the stainless section of the speakers. Most likely from the previous owner. I think it is safe to use stainless steel cleaner/polisher.

One more thing, do you turn on the amp that drives your 2nd voice coil when running the calibration? I just got the used Gallo amp and wondering if I should turn on the 2nd coil or not during calibration using my AVR. Thanks.
That should work, just use it sparingly and avoid contact with the drivers

I don't calibrate with an AVR, I have a disk of test tones, and I set the second amp by ear. First I rn the tones with no power to the second voice coil, to determine where I was loosing bass response, and I then set the crossover a bit below that. Then I ran the tones with the second VC powered to determine the volume setting for the second VC amplifier.

If memory serves me correctly, my cross-over is set to around 30.

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
post #3369 of 3387 Unread 03-08-2017, 10:01 AM

AG amp settings

I have few questions for experts here

1) for ref 3/3.1 what is the frequency range of the tweeter, mids, woofer 1st coil & woofer 2nd coil?

2) I noticed last nigh playing the settings of my newly acquired used AG amplifier. if I move the xover settings higher like 80-120Hz it sounds fuller. It seems like it helps the sound of the mids. Does thismakes sense or its just my imagination? If i set it to 40Hz, nothing change to the sound even on mids but if the music or movies calls for low bass then it will produce. For now I think I like the sound when xover is set around 100-120Hz, Will this damage my 2nd coil setting this high?

So far so good with the amp. I don't hear any distorion. Maybe its there but I don't hear it. And I'm not going to look for it and just start enjoying listening music. I think this is like a dead pixel in a monitor. You look hard to find one and when you do you can't help it but see every time you use the monitor and you will start searching for a new monitor again
post #3370 of 3387 Unread 03-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1) for ref 3/3.1 what is the frequency range of the tweeter, mids, woofer 1st coil & woofer 2nd coil?

2) I noticed last nigh playing the settings of my newly acquired used AG amplifier. if I move the xover settings higher like 80-120Hz it sounds fuller. It seems like it helps the sound of the mids. Does thismakes sense or its just my imagination? If i set it to 40Hz, nothing change to the sound even on mids but if the music or movies calls for low bass then it will produce. For now I think I like the sound when xover is set around 100-120Hz, Will this damage my 2nd coil setting this high?

So far so good with the amp. I don't hear any distorion. Maybe its there but I don't hear it. And I'm not going to look for it and just start enjoying listening music. I think this is like a dead pixel in a monitor. You look hard to find one and when you do you can't help it but see every time you use the monitor and you will start searching for a new monitor again
1) Sorry, no idea.

2) No, it won't damage anything, you could send a full range signal through it if you so desired.

post #3371 of 3387 Unread 03-09-2017, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Try listening to the speakers with only the secondary voice coils powered. That way you'll hear only what the Gallo amp adds to the sound.

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
(Pablo Picasso)
post #3372 of 3387 Unread 03-09-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Ref 3.5 Specifications

Quote:

The Ref 3.5 woofer crossover is 125 Hz. It overlaps the midrange units between 100 & 200 Hz. It is still noticeably active to 400 Hz. The midrange units in the original Ref 3.5, before the Strada II changover, are active to 3.7 kHz. If I recall, the Strada II implementation brought the CDT III unit in at 6 kHz.

The 2nd voice coil response is reported to be somewhere in the lower 20's. However, the amplitude may be negligible at the lowest frequencies. I am speculating here because I never personally powered the 2nd voice coil.

All this is thoroughly detailed in an exhaustive review in the following link:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo9/ref35.html

I hope this helps.
post #3373 of 3387 Unread 03-09-2017, 05:24 PM

SA Amplifier class D?

Just wondering if the AG SA amplifier is considered class D amplifier if not what class or type is it?
post #3374 of 3387 Unread 03-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just wondering if the AG SA amplifier is considered class D amplifier if not what class or type is it?
Class-A/B. A Class-D would not need a fan for cooling

post #3375 of 3387 Unread 03-10-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Class-A/B. A Class-D would not need a fan for cooling
Thanks!
post #3376 of 3387 Unread 03-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I've got a guy willing to sell 3 A'Diva speakers and 2 Micros as rears plus a subwoofer (not sure what brand) for $500 CAD. Not sure if I should take the offer for a home theatre setup in a small condo.

Any thoughts?

Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles

Last edited by ungraphic; 03-31-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #3377 of 3387 Unread 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungraphic View Post
I've got a guy willing to sell 2 A'Diva speakers and 3 Micros as rears plus a subwoofer (not sure what brand) for $500 CAD. Not sure if I should take the offer for a home theatre setup in a small condo.

Any thoughts?
Not bad, especially with a sub. You can check ebay too, plenty Micro and A'Diva availability there.

post #3378 of 3387 Unread 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Not bad, especially with a sub. You can check ebay too, plenty Micro and A'Diva availability there.
It's actually this set:

Three Adivas in front (one for centre), two Micros as rears and the MPS-150 subwoofer (http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/pages/...ers-mps150.php)

I'm sort of interested, heck I haven't even bargained with him, maybe he could even bring down the price on the setup to $400 or $450 CAD. I've been trying to get a set of Q Acoustics 2000i series, but nobody has the 2000ci centre channel for sale so I don't know if I can make the purchase on those. They'd cost me $1250 CAD, where as the Anthony Gallo setup would be $800 less.

My only concern at this point would be bass response; the Q Acoustics 2020i with 5" drivers on the front left and right and 2010i with 4" drivers for the rears (but without a subwoofer) vs. the Anthony Gallo Adiva + Micros setup but WITH a subwoofer?

I know the Anthony Gallo speakers are supposed to be pretty amazing for their size, but would they be comparable in the midrange and highs to the Q Acoustics?

Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles

Last edited by ungraphic; 03-31-2017 at 01:15 PM.
post #3379 of 3387 Unread 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak805 View Post
A Ref 3.5 replacement has been announced many times over the last several years with the postponements rendering the announcements meaningless. Consequently my anticipation and enthusiasm has waned unfortunately.

Assuming that this time an actual product is forthcoming, that $4500.00 price point does not give me encouragement.

When Gallo introduced the Strada II, which is the MTM module of the Ref 3.5, they replaced the superior neodymium magnets with ferrites. My pair have the original Strada neodymiums. I also know the original robust dual voice coil woofers are no longer available. The pictured mounting feet eliminate the substantial composite viscoelastic base combination. I also wonder if the very expensive Dynamicap TRT Stealth bypass capacitor will be retained.

I have had patience this long although Gallo has strained it many times. Considering my technical comments and that price point, I expect for now to keep my ref 3.5's for awhile because I do not foresee how the replacement can incorporate any improvements over the original design of the Ref 3.5.

I bought my Ref 3.5 pair new in June 2010 when the model was first introduced. I found a generous dealer locally who charged me only $3600.00. It was a bargain I could not refuse.

I have no idea what I would ever get to replace these without spending an excessive amount of money. The majority of loudspeakers are the same theme regardless of cost. They all have a port or tube in a rectangular box, a dome tweeter, metal or fabric, maybe a fragile ribbon tweeter and a midrange driver much too large for the frequencies it is intended to reproduce, six inches or more. Loss producing and phase inducing very complex crossover networks are added to the mix. All this costs money, adds various forms of distortion and none of this is in the original design of the Gallo Ref 3.5's. Nothing out there comes close to that CDT unit for dispersion, clarity, range and unlimited power handling.

I am quite happy keeping the Ref 3.5's. I would only wish for perhaps a 1/2 octave more bass. I thought they might incorporate twin woofers side by side or one above the other in a new larger model. It does not look like that will happen.

I had Avalon Eidolons for five years I bought new and I do not feel I am missing much with the Ref 3.5's.
Looking again at the pictures of your set up, what is that small/short stand you use for your amplifier right that is right next to each of your speakers? What is the brand/model and where you bought it? Thanks.
post #3380 of 3387 Unread 04-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Looking again at the pictures of your set up, what is that small/short stand you use for your amplifier right that is right next to each of your speakers? What is the brand/model and where you bought it? Thanks.
The parts to which you refer are courtesy of The Shelving Store. I just picked the shelf size and post height for my application. I now have a slight change with the Rowland PC-1's under the M501 mono power amps in a two tier combination using 14" posts. I have not yet asked my wife to take pictures of the new setup.

Although their prices are very reasonable given the quality if their products, I feel the shipping charges are high.

https://www.theshelvingstore.com/Wir...ies-s/1139.htm
post #3381 of 3387 Unread 04-08-2017, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungraphic View Post
It's actually this set:

Three Adivas in front (one for centre), two Micros as rears and the MPS-150 subwoofer (http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/pages/...ers-mps150.php)

I'm sort of interested, heck I haven't even bargained with him, maybe he could even bring down the price on the setup to $400 or $450 CAD. I've been trying to get a set of Q Acoustics 2000i series, but nobody has the 2000ci centre channel for sale so I don't know if I can make the purchase on those. They'd cost me $1250 CAD, where as the Anthony Gallo setup would be $800 less.

My only concern at this point would be bass response; the Q Acoustics 2020i with 5" drivers on the front left and right and 2010i with 4" drivers for the rears (but without a subwoofer) vs. the Anthony Gallo Adiva + Micros setup but WITH a subwoofer?

I know the Anthony Gallo speakers are supposed to be pretty amazing for their size, but would they be comparable in the midrange and highs to the Q Acoustics?
I had a pair of Ref 3.5 for several years. I loved them. I used a HK990 integrated amp with them and a pair of VMPS subwoofers. They had a unique live drum sound and would spread an image from wall to wall.

I came upon an opportunity to purchase a pair of Raidho C1 from an auction in South Africa for $3200 so I went for it. Found somebody to purchase my Ref 3.5. The C1 were a little bit of a disappointment, and I had to mess around with the amps etc. to get them to sound OK. Then I had the opportunity to send my C1 back to Raidho for an upgrade and update to the very new C1.2 for $2,600, so I had basically a brand new pair of Raidho's for $6K (not including shipping)

The C1.2 have a bit more detail than the Gallos, which I had felt was perhaps lacking. The soundstage is not as broad but does resolve the image height issue. With that ribbon tweeter the highs are a little bit more extended.

But I am going to have to get a new power amp to drive the Raidhos, they are fairly inefficient and the gain of my U70 was not high enough to integrate into my system.

The bottom line is that though I do not regret my change, the Gallo Ref 3.5 were most satisfying and anybody with a pair should perhaps not be envious of other speakers. It takes a lot of speaker to outdo the Ref 3.5 in all areas.

You almost never see them on the used market.
post #3382 of 3387 Unread 04-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Raidho vs. Ref 3.5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post
I had a pair of Ref 3.5 for several years. I loved them. I used a HK990 integrated amp with them and a pair of VMPS subwoofers. They had a unique live drum sound and would spread an image from wall to wall.

I came upon an opportunity to purchase a pair of Raidho C1 from an auction in South Africa for $3200 so I went for it. Found somebody to purchase my Ref 3.5. The C1 were a little bit of a disappointment, and I had to mess around with the amps etc. to get them to sound OK. Then I had the opportunity to send my C1 back to Raidho for an upgrade and update to the very new C1.2 for $2,600, so I had basically a brand new pair of Raidho's for $6K (not including shipping)

The C1.2 have a bit more detail than the Gallos, which I had felt was perhaps lacking. The soundstage is not as broad but does resolve the image height issue. With that ribbon tweeter the highs are a little bit more extended.

But I am going to have to get a new power amp to drive the Raidhos, they are fairly inefficient and the gain of my U70 was not high enough to integrate into my system.

The bottom line is that though I do not regret my change, the Gallo Ref 3.5 were most satisfying and anybody with a pair should perhaps not be envious of other speakers. It takes a lot of speaker to outdo the Ref 3.5 in all areas.

You got a very good and hard to resist deal on the Raidho C series. The brand appears to be the new favorite among high end reviewers along with Magico. Given what is there and the fact that their cabinets are fabricated in China, I personally feel that at retail they are ridiculously overpriced. To be fair, I have never heard them.

With the Ref 3.5's you get an exceptional speaker at a very reasonable cost. All loudspeakers have compromises but the Ref 3.5's have very few of them. I know the detail in the midrange could be better and a half octave more bass would be welcome. The height issue is easily resolved on 8 inch stands. What you get is the simplicity of form following function: No resonant enclosure or loss inducing crossover network, carbon fiber and a wide dispersion CDT tweeter in an indestructible, fairly efficient design.

Mine are in a system comprised of the best components I could afford. I seriously do not know what I ever replace them with.
post #3383 of 3387 Unread 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post

I ended up buying the package for $400 CAD (approx. $320 USD). It was specifically three A'Diva Ti speakers, two Micro Ti speakers, MPS-150 subwoofer (looks like a very old model since the power cord only has two prongs and is fixed to the amp), 2 stands for the rears, 3 wall mounting brackets and a butt load of cable length for all of them.

They sound fine, however the A'Diva Tis definitely lack bass. This is, however, nicely compensated with the MPS-150 but it needs to be placed near the front speakers; placing it next to the couch or underneath it is too localized and I can tell the bass is coming from there. I have nowhere else to put it. Besides that, it makes a weird hum noise, I've posted about it here. I'm heading out today to send it into a shop and see if I can get it fixed.

Because I'm so limited on space, I'm probably going to opt for a Mirage MM-6 subwoofer, might be able to pick it up for $100 today. It's tiny and will fit near the A'Diva speakers so it should sound seamless. I've never been one to care for a ton of floor shaking bass as it's always taken away focus from the mids and highs. Besides that, my old speakers have 5" woofers in them and I always found the bass adequate, the 6.5" driver from the Mirage subwoofer will be an improvement.

post #3384 of 3387 Unread 04-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Amp Stand Pictures

Quote:
I have the pictures of the new two tier amp stand. The posts are 14" and the shelves are 8" x 12" all from The Shelving Store. The electronics sit on dense foam blocks. There is no tilt on the equipment just the angle my wife took the pictures from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp & PC-1 Front.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	2074441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp & PC-1 Side.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	2074449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics Wide.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	2074457  
post #3385 of 3387 Unread 04-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak805 View Post
I have the pictures of the new two tier amp stand. The posts are 14" and the shelves are 8" x 12" all from The Shelving Store. The electronics sit on dense foam blocks. There is no tilt on the equipment just the angle my wife took the pictures from.
Looks nice!
post #3386 of 3387 Unread 04-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Does anyone have the A'Diva Ti speakers with banana plugs while using isolation rings?

I have the smaller Micro Tis but the speaker cable gently pulls on them sideways. I wanna get banana plugs for the A'Diva's, but don't wanna drop coin on a bunch of plugs that might make the speakers roll to the side.

post #3387 of 3387 Unread Today, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232307688...84.m1555.l2649

I used a spade connector and this worked well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver