Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Replacing woofer

How hard to replace the woofers for the reference 3 series speakers? do you need to solder any wires? do you need to seal the stainless steel enclosure of the woofer? if so, what kind of sealant do i need? lastly, if i replace my woofer of my ref 3/3.1 to the woofer that is used in ref 3.5 do you think it will make difference to the sound? will it make the bass better? thanks.

ps if anybody have pictures replacing the woofers that would be nice.
RDD337 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gallo Tweeter Too Bright?

Hello,
I own Gallo Classico CL-3's and would like to know if there is a way to either reduce the gain of the tweeter, or roll-off the high-end frequencies.
I have a very revealing system plus a sensitivity to high frequencies, so music is sounding too bright. I've changed IC's and tubes, but no luck.

I'm using tip-toes as footers on the speakers to get some great detail in the bass, but I'm wondering if this is making the mids/highs sound too lean.

Any input is much appreciated.
lowrider75 is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider75 View Post
Hello,
I own Gallo Classico CL-3's and would like to know if there is a way to either reduce the gain of the tweeter, or roll-off the high-end frequencies.
I have a very revealing system plus a sensitivity to high frequencies, so music is sounding too bright. I've changed IC's and tubes, but no luck.

I'm using tip-toes as footers on the speakers to get some great detail in the bass, but I'm wondering if this is making the mids/highs sound too lean.

Any input is much appreciated.
I should add that I love the sonics of this speaker; imaging, timbre, realism. The issue is the highs sound bright and loud.
lowrider75 is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider75 View Post
I should add that I love the sonics of this speaker; imaging, timbre, realism. The issue is the highs sound bright and loud.
The great dispersion of the tweeter causes the level of high frequency sound in the listening position to be very dependent on reflections in the room. Try and limit the first reflection from the sidewalls and maybe the reflection from the wall behind the listening position.

Otherwise digital room correction or simple equalization can solve this issue.
bubblez is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblez View Post
The great dispersion of the tweeter causes the level of high frequency sound in the listening position to be very dependent on reflections in the room. Try and limit the first reflection from the sidewalls and maybe the reflection from the wall behind the listening position.

Otherwise digital room correction or simple equalization can solve this issue.
Thanks for the reply. Some more info...
My room is 12' x 16' and I listen in a near-field setup. It's a living room, very well damped with drapes, a tapestry hanging on the wall behind me, large Oriental rug, and listening position is on a fabric sofa 8 ft. from the speakers. I have 2 vertical absorbion panels on the front wall to focus the imaging.
My component rack is on the side wall, flat screen on a stand between the speakers (covered when listening).

The tip-toes raise the speakers about 1.5". Anthony G's recommendation is to place the towers on his pads, but they're too unstable.

Do you think getting the speakers lower to the floor would help add warmth to the sound? Or is my issue all about reflections from the tweeter?
lowrider75 is offline  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, guys, new member here. Have had Gallos in the past but just got a new set of L/C/R Reference AV speakers for dad's theater. I have spent days looking and cannot find a single option. Have any of you come across a set of floor stands to mount the left / right on? The included ones are meant to be table top, I need something to elevate them enough so the center tweeter is ~36" off the ground. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Dad's basement theater with Sonance Beryllium 7.2 is no longer accessible to him and he wants to upgrade the family room "mini theater" before he starts chemo again. So the Nucleus Micros have to go, along with the NHT center. Will be all Reference AV then the new top of the line Sony 4K 65" to replace the small older TV that's there. Keeping the VMPS sub because 1. it's awesome and 2. it's too damn heavy to move.
BEM-S4 is offline  
Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was also wondering about the use of Gallos for surround system.

I was thinking:
3 x Strada 2 -> LCR
2 x A`diva Se -> Side Surrond
2 x A`diva Se -> Back Surrond (optional)
2 x TR-3D

Quite the expensive equipment.. but would it give me enough for immersive HT experience?



Driven by an Marantz 8077.
Northman83 is online now  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Member
 
JeroenTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
I was also wondering about the use of Gallos for surround system.



I was thinking:

3 x Strada 2 -> LCR

2 x A`diva Se -> Side Surrond

2 x A`diva Se -> Back Surrond (optional)

2 x TR-3D



Quite the expensive equipment.. but would it give me enough for immersive HT experience?

FWIW. I have a NAD t787 driving LR Strada 2, 3x A'Diva SE (C, SR, SL) and 1x TR-3D.

I am very, very pleased. This is immersive.

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
JeroenTop is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 12:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenTop View Post
FWIW. I have a NAD t787 driving LR Strada 2, 3x A'Diva SE (C, SR, SL) and 1x TR-3D.

I am very, very pleased. This is immersive.
How does the Micro SE fair as Surrounds? I need a pair of 'white surrounds' and I would like to know how these compared to some Martin Logans Motion F/Xs?

Receiver: Denon x4300h
Speakers: 3.2.2 all Elacs Uni-Fi series.

But surrounds needs to be white.
Jor3llBR is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Member
 
JeroenTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the a'diva se white and they are excellent. Don't know your gear


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
JeroenTop is online now  
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenTop View Post
I have the a'diva se white and they are excellent. Don't know your gear


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply, how do you have your surrounds directional setup? (Direct Firing, Inderect Foring or Up Firing)
Jor3llBR is offline  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:45 AM
Member
 
JeroenTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jor3llBR View Post
Thanks for your reply, how do you have your surrounds directional setup? (Direct Firing, Inderect Foring or Up Firing)


Hi, my listening room is just 3,5m/12ft wide and they are not ideally placed, left and right of my couch attached to the same wall my couch is placed at, direct firing.

Still great sound imho

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
JeroenTop is online now  
Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ref 1 vs 3.1

Hi fellow Gallonians;

Great to find a place where other Gallo owners congregate and share information.

I have owned and lived with a pair of the original Nucleus References (with the dual vinyl sphere enclosures, boxlike space-frame stands & external crossovers) for 20 years. Previously they were driven by a YBA Integre DT integrated amp. I recently upgraded to a Devialet 220 Class A/D hybrid integrated, and it is a huge step up.

Usually I listen at fairly low levels as we live in a smallish apartment. So I suppose I did not fully appreciate how under-driven the speakers were. The bass certainly wakes up with the 200 watts of the Devialet versus the 50 of the YBA.

I now have an opportunity to purchase a used pair of Ref 3.1s for a good price and I was wondering if anyone could offer opinions on whether it is a worthwhile upgrade. One reason I am interested in them is that I have read they are more forgiving of placement close to the front wall, whereas the Ref 1s are not, and my small listening room dictates a fairly close placement (say 2 foot or less).

So can anyone give any insight on the question of sonic differences between the original References (circa 1996) and the 3.1's?

Also, would it be worthwhile to hold out for a used pair of Ref 3.5's? I would prefer to avoid the added complexity of a subwoofer amplifier and with the 3.5's it doesn't seem to be as necessary.

(The wildcard in this playoff would be the rumoured replacement for the 3.5, said to be forthcoming late this year. But that's another discussion)

thanks
psioni is offline  
Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
barryecohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: GSP Exit 165, NJ
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by psioni View Post
Hi fellow Gallonians;

Great to find a place where other Gallo owners congregate and share information.

thanks
Hello, and nice to meet another loooonnngggg time Gallo fan!

I still have a set of the Original Poly Sphere Solos, and had Polly sphered References which were replaced by AL sphered References, which were then replaced by a set of 3.1 Reference, which were then upgraded to their current 3.5 signature status.

Since I didn't go from Poly Ref to Ref 3.1, I'm not sure how you'll feel about it. I can say that the the AL Ref was far more detailed and refined than the Poly Ref, but still sweet and smooth, with that glorious sound stage. With my upgrade from AL Ref to Ref 3.1, I was a little unimpressed and wondered if I'd made the right decision. After upgrading to 3.5 Status I was happy, even more so when I went to 3.5 Signature.

Good luck on your journey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solo.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2172314  

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
barryecohen is offline  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
gljuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Croatia
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
[...] After upgrading to 3.5 Status I was happy, even more so when I went to 3.5 Signature.
Hi Barry,
Thanks for all the useful and interesting information you've already added to this thread!

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the differences between the "Ref 3.5 Status" and "Ref 3.5 Signature" speakers, if I understood correctly that there are two flavors of the Reference 3.5 speakers?

I've never read anything about the 3.5s being upgraded, other than what "Kodak805" mentioned a couple of posts back (post #3340) about upgrading the 3.5's MTM module with neodymium magnets, which sounded like his custom, a one-off deal.

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
(Pablo Picasso)
gljuss is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Hi, guys, new member here. Have had Gallos in the past but just got a new set of L/C/R Reference AV speakers for dad's theater. I have spent days looking and cannot find a single option. Have any of you come across a set of floor stands to mount the left / right on? The included ones are meant to be table top, I need something to elevate them enough so the center tweeter is ~36" off the ground. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
Problem solved. I found someone to custom fabricate and paint some brackets that will work with any Sanus Steel speaker stands, so you can choose the height. If anyone would like to order a set PM me for contact info for vendor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	2177746  
BEM-S4 is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Member
 
bliptrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey fellow Gallo owners -

Browsing through a facebook audio group page a while back, I came across a photo of a room that used two pairs of Strata speakers on the floor. Each side had a speaker facing forward and another right next to it facing back. I believe they were on Mapleshade stands. Unfortunately I didn't save the photo and can't find it again.

Does anyone have any info on this kind of setup? It looked really interesting!
bliptrip is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
barryecohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: GSP Exit 165, NJ
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljuss View Post
Hi Barry,
Thanks for all the useful and interesting information you've already added to this thread!

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the differences between the "Ref 3.5 Status" and "Ref 3.5 Signature" speakers, if I understood correctly that there are two flavors of the Reference 3.5 speakers?

I've never read anything about the 3.5s being upgraded, other than what "Kodak805" mentioned a couple of posts back (post #3340) about upgrading the 3.5's MTM module with neodymium magnets, which sounded like his custom, a one-off deal.
Well, my original 3.1 speakers were physically upgraded, with new drivers, mid enclosures, crossover components, etc. bringing my 3.1 speakers up to 3.5. Then later, the MTM modules were reconfigured similarly to the Strada-2, along with some additional component changes to the crossover, bringing my 3.5 to 3.5 Signature. The plinth remained the original Oak, but the spikes were replaced with a silicone gel pad. I feel that this set up offers a more dynamic sound than the standard 3.5, but I don't think this configuration was ever offered for sale, it was kind of a prototype.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
barryecohen is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Member
 
bliptrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I found the photos of twin Stradas. It is a Mapleshade listening room, more info on their facebook page. Pretty cool, anyone else try it out yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallo Ultimate.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	2180097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallo Ultimate 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	2180113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallo Ultimate 3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	2180121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallo Ultimate 4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	2180129  

Last edited by bliptrip; 06-08-2017 at 09:23 PM.
bliptrip is offline  
Old Today, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Zydeco67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliptrip View Post
I found the photos of twin Stradas. It is a Mapleshade listening room, more info on their facebook page. Pretty cool, anyone else try it out yet?


I've always wanted to try the model of the Strada 2 on the floor with requisite bass gain but it's "challenging" in a shared room. That said, for me, a high-pass to the Strada 2 with low-pass to the sub has been a more rewarding set-up than running the Strada 2 full range with sub augmenting bass.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Zydeco67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off