Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #3421 of 3437 Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
To all who owns AG Ref3/3.1 and upgraded to Ref3.5 is it worth it? I currently own one of last batch Ref3(the same internals as Ref3.1) before they change the model to Ref3.1 and increase the price. If I can sell my speakers base on the current used market now and add maybe $1000-$1500 I can get a used REf3.5. So what do you think guys? Is it worth it? Unfortunately I can not audition the speakers since it's out of state. To be honest I'm happy with the sound of my Ref3 but no experience comparing with the 3.5. Hopefully I can hear some feedbacks before I will decisions
I felt going from 3.1 to 3.5 was well worth it... YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3437 Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
I felt going from 3.1 to 3.5 was well worth it... YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Hoping you can answer me this. In your opinion how much better is 3.5 compared to 3.1(percentage wise) the highs-how many % better, mids-?% and lows-?%. To me if I have to nit pick my Ref3 I would have to say I wish the mids will be a little bit better/thicker and lows will be tighter. Thanks again for your input.
post #3423 of 3437 Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Hoping you can answer me this. In your opinion how much better is 3.5 compared to 3.1(percentage wise) the highs-how many % better, mids-?% and lows-?%. To me if I have to nit pick my Ref3 I would have to say I wish the mids will be a little bit better/thicker and lows will be tighter. Thanks again for your input.
Sorry for the delayed reply, not here all the time

Not sure I could give you a percentage rating on the improvement in the different frequency ranges. To be honest, to me, the most notable improvement was in the overall dynamics of the sound, there seemed to be greater difference between quiet and loud with more impact to the sound. The 3.1 seemed kind of flat and muffled in comparison to the 3.5.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 

post #3424 of 3437 Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What kind of amp is people using with their Gallo Strada 2? I just bought a pair, so could use some recommendation
post #3425 of 3437 Old 08-29-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I use nad t787 (5.1, 2xstrada, 3x a'diva, 1x tr3d

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
post #3426 of 3437 Old 09-04-2017, 11:17 AM

If I am using the high level connection on my TR-3D subwoofer to connect to the strada 2, should I then use bypass or crossover on the sub?
post #3427 of 3437 Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneTS View Post
If I am using the high level connection on my TR-3D subwoofer to connect to the strada 2, should I then use bypass or crossover on the sub?
I had this conversation With AG:

Jeroen:

Congrats on purchasing the Strada 2’s, A’Diva SE’s & TR-3D. The Strada 2’s and the A’Diva SE’s all should connect to the NAD AV receiver. The TR-3D should connect to the NAD via subwoofer interconnect. The NAD will control the crossover for the speakers and the sub. Make sure to select bypass on the back of the sub. It should sound excellent. Please contact me with any further questions.

Happy Holiday’s
Bill

William Fried
VP Operations
Anthony Gallo Acoustics

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2015 12:41 AM
To: TechSupport
Subject: Advice on speaker connection

Hi,

I recently bought myself some of your excellent speakers.
My setup is 5.1, mains 2x Strada 2, Center and surround 3x A’Diva SE, Sub TR-3D. All are driven by a NAD T787.

I mostly stream from my NAS via an Oppo 105D, the NAD and Oppo are connected 3 ways (5.1, 2.0 and HDMI) to get most out of my sources, especially from the great DAC in the Oppo. In order of importance these would be my priorities:
1. Classical music, stereo (40%) & quadraphonic (10%)
2. TV (30%)
3. Movies (10%)
4. Anything else (10%)
In a general sense, would you advise me to directly the Strada 2’s to the receiver or would connecting them via the TR-3D be a better idea? The internet suggests driving mains separately in general seems to be the best suggestion your A’Diva SE booklet states a preference for driving them via the subwoofer.
I don’t understand the pro’s and con’s so a little help and explanation is really welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Jeroen

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D

Last edited by JeroenTop; 09-04-2017 at 12:00 PM.
post #3428 of 3437 Old 09-05-2017, 05:56 AM

I am only using a regular amp with no bass management, so i guess it will be different in my case.
post #3429 of 3437 Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 AM

Anybody here uses 3 Reference 3/3.1/3.5 speakers as their fronts (Left, Right & Center)? I wonder how does it perform specially the center channel compared to speakers specifically design for center channel. Thanks.
post #3430 of 3437 Old 09-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Anybody here uses 3 Reference 3/3.1/3.5 speakers as their fronts (Left, Right & Center)? I wonder how does it perform specially the center channel compared to speakers specifically design for center channel. Thanks.
I use 5 Reference 3.5 speakers in my 5.1 channel set-up. I used to have the Strada for center and rear, but felt I was missing something, specially from the center channel with dialogue. Sounded tinny. I know the top half of the 3.5 speakers is the same as the Strada, but it really does sound different. It really made a big difference to change the center to the 3.5. And it's all powered by a monster Spectron Premiere 7-channel amp (500 watts x 7) - 2 channels are not used.

And with big speakers all the way around, I can get rid of bass management. And this is nice when playing DSD files since you don't need to convert to PCM for bass management.

Unfortunately, I'm currently moving into a small condo. I have my system up for sale on Audiogon and local Craigslist (Los Angeles). If it doesn't sell, I'll just put it in storage. I plan on being in the condo for a couple of years and then moving to a house (hopefully). On one hand, I'd hate to sell cause I know I'll use it later. But on the other hand, it takes up too much room to keep in a small condo or pay storage fees.

Exasound E38 Multichannel DAC
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Dell Micro PC for HTPC
post #3431 of 3437 Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
I use 5 Reference 3.5 speakers in my 5.1 channel set-up. I used to have the Strada for center and rear, but felt I was missing something, specially from the center channel with dialogue. Sounded tinny. I know the top half of the 3.5 speakers is the same as the Strada, but it really does sound different. It really made a big difference to change the center to the 3.5. And it's all powered by a monster Spectron Premiere 7-channel amp (500 watts x 7) - 2 channels are not used.

And with big speakers all the way around, I can get rid of bass management. And this is nice when playing DSD files since you don't need to convert to PCM for bass management.

Unfortunately, I'm currently moving into a small condo. I have my system up for sale on Audiogon and local Craigslist (Los Angeles). If it doesn't sell, I'll just put it in storage. I plan on being in the condo for a couple of years and then moving to a house (hopefully). On one hand, I'd hate to sell cause I know I'll use it later. But on the other hand, it takes up too much room to keep in a small condo or pay storage fees.
Good to know that these AG reference speakers will perform well as center channel. I saw your ad and I was going to buy your 3 Ref speakers for my fronts and 1 SA amp but it was local pick up only. Thanks.
post #3432 of 3437 Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Strada Conundrum: These speakers are a delight with effortless treble once broken-in and a small footprint, combined with wide dispersion, that suits shared living area. And one or two subs located for best bass and a 80hz cross over and low bass is sorted. My issue is the mid bass - 80 to 160Hz - as I still find that in real rooms the Strada roll off at the 120-160Hz. One option is to collocate a sub with a higher x/o point but the discrete liveable form factor is then distorted. And thus the conundrum - getting mid-bass that matches the quality of the rest of the system without destroying the form factor.?
post #3433 of 3437 Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco67 View Post
The Strada Conundrum: One option is to collocate a sub with a higher x/o point but the discrete liveable form factor is then distorted. And thus the conundrum - getting mid-bass that matches the quality of the rest of the system without destroying the form factor.?
My only solution was to co-locate two (L/R) sealed SVS subs and XO @160Hz. Sounds fantastic.
post #3434 of 3437 Old 09-17-2017, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuniverse View Post
My only solution was to co-locate two (L/R) sealed SVS subs and XO @160Hz. Sounds fantastic.

Yes, I've got a similar solution but it does kind of diminish the form factor. Are you using x/o in the sub, receiver or external line level unit?
post #3435 of 3437 Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuniverse View Post
Yes, stereo subs, close to the Strada, higher crossover point. To me this was the big advantage of the Ref 3.5. I still crossed over at 80hz, but I was surprised by the amount of energy that still came from the woofers with this crossover point.
macuniverse likes this.
post #3436 of 3437 Old 09-17-2017, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco67 View Post
Yes, I've got a similar solution but it does kind of diminish the form factor. Are you using x/o in the sub, receiver or external line level unit?
I agree, it's not as elegant as Ref 3.x.

I use a Yamaha AVR (RX-A3060) to manage XO and other DSP needs. It has two independent sub management functionality. You can set two subs as L/R. This avoids any Sub localisation issues between 80-160 Hz (in my situation).

Sub taming is not as good as Audyssey XT32 I had before but you can manually fine-tune them if necessary. I ran REW to check the Yamaha room correction. It was close to what I wanted . I only reduced one peak around 50Hz; the rest was OK. BTW, this AVR really surprised me with its top audio quality.
post #3437 of 3437 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Ref3.5 - Gel materials

I just bought a used Ref3.5 and so far I can hardly tell the difference soundwise compared to my Ref3. Good thing I didn't pay twice as much. If anything maybe the bass is more pronounce than Ref3.

Can anybody recommend a materials to replace the gel on the bottom of the base? The Ref3.5 I bought, some of the gel came off and speakers are not that stable. It's either I will patch some part of the base without gel or replace the whole thing. So now I'm selling my Ref3. If anybody wants to buy it let me know Even though it says in the back 3, it's actually 3.1. It was the last few batches AG made before they change the model# to 3.1. Also if anybody here owns the grills for the 3.5 and not using it, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page