Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #3451 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
Thanks. Few months ago I tried Denon 4300 AVR and was not happy with the sound. My Pioneer AVR sounds a lot better. So I return the Denon. I'll try Marantz AVR next.
I believe it is the power amp that will make the most difference in sound when using an AVR, despite what other posters may say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak805 View Post

Incidentally, I find the Ref 3.5's work best aimed straight ahead due to the very wide dispersion of the CDT. Towed in they are too bright. I also orient the woofers facing inward for a solid soundstage. This would also help with a close wall placement. However, I augment the bass with a pair of Wilson Benesch Infrasonic Generators and their amplifier/crossover units.
This is quite true, after much experiementation, I found the 3.5's to sound best with barely any toe in at all, firing straight out and the woofers facing in.

3.5's LOVE juice, get a good dedicated power amp and they will absolutely sing. straight out of the AVR they sounded a bit flat when I initially bought them, but switching to Rotel separates just took them to a new level.
post #3453 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post
I believe it is the power amp that will make the most difference in sound when using an AVR, despite what other posters may say.

It has too many factors. Nothing is guaranteed to make your sounds better. I guess this what makes this hobby fun. You just have to try and see for yourself. Just hope you don't waste a lot of money finding the right combination In my case I hope Marantz 7011 will give me satisfying sound as I don't have the budget for separates nor space in the house. My use is 50/50 Music & Movies.

post #3454 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
This is quite true, after much experiementation, I found the 3.5's to sound best with barely any toe in at all, firing straight out and the woofers facing in.

3.5's LOVE juice, get a good dedicated power amp and they will absolutely sing. straight out of the AVR they sounded a bit flat when I initially bought them, but switching to Rotel separates just took them to a new level.
Which Rotel amp are you using? Same here my Refs are firing straight and woofers facing each other.
post #3455 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Which Rotel amp are you using? Same here my Refs are firing straight and woofers facing each other.
Rotel RB-1590 (2x350W)
post #3456 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Rotel RB-1590 (2x350W)
You got a really nice amps there. I have a long way to go to reach to your level Someday... What preamp are you using? Did you also add stand to your Refs? Thanks.
post #3457 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You got a really nice amps there. I have a long way to go to reach to your level Someday... What preamp are you using? Did you also add stand to your Refs? Thanks.
Thanks!

I matched it with a Rotel pre.

Regarding stands YES, they really helped because my listening room isn't big and I have the speakers closer to the rear walls. I use concrete blocks as the stand

The best bang for buck upgrade I've done in audio IMO.
post #3458 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I matched it with a Rotel pre.

Regarding stands YES, they really helped because my listening room isn't big and I have the speakers closer to the rear walls. I use concrete blocks as the stand

The best bang for buck upgrade I've done in audio IMO.
How tall is your stand? Most people here suggested 8" high. I don't understand why AG did not make this Ref 3.5 taller if it really makes it sound better. I will raise my speakers to 4" high using the rubber ballistic block that somebody here recommended.
post #3459 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
How tall is your stand? Most people here suggested 8" high. I don't understand why AG did not make this Ref 3.5 taller if it really makes it sound better. I will raise my speakers to 4" high using the rubber ballistic block that somebody here recommended.
Mine are 6 inch high (standard concrete blocks). I've tried 4 inch (haven't tried 8 since I was happy with the blocks)

My theory is that it is VERY scenario/room specific and hence AG left it at what would work for "most" folks. For me since my rear walls and side walls are close, the sound tightened up significantly and focussed much better. There is absolute control shown across the range now and the response is more even. I've tried it in larger rooms with different heights for varying results.

In my experience, here is my guideline

- If you have less than 2 feet go 6-8 inches depending on your seating position
- If you have more than 2 feet but still have closer walls on the side, 4 will work
- If you have several feet to the walls on both sides, leave them on the floor unless you have bass issues with your flooring

Use the factors below to fine tune

- If you like your bass a bit fuller and louder than the other responses (escpecially for electronic, hip hop, where you want to FEEL the bass) then lower the stand
- If you like tighter imaging, focussed sound, more even response, a bit more sparkle, raise it higher

As always, it helps to experiment with your setup as there are many other factors that will affect the sound. Its quite easy to grab a bunch of hardware of varying heights and do some A/B tests There is no need to spend big bucks on them fancy wooden stands
post #3460 of 3460 Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Mine are 6 inch high (standard concrete blocks). I've tried 4 inch (haven't tried 8 since I was happy with the blocks)

My theory is that it is VERY scenario/room specific and hence AG left it at what would work for "most" folks. For me since my rear walls and side walls are close, the sound tightened up significantly and focussed much better. There is absolute control shown across the range now and the response is more even. I've tried it in larger rooms with different heights for varying results.

In my experience, here is my guideline

- If you have less than 2 feet go 6-8 inches depending on your seating position
- If you have more than 2 feet but still have closer walls on the side, 4 will work
- If you have several feet to the walls on both sides, leave them on the floor unless you have bass issues with your flooring

Use the factors below to fine tune

- If you like your bass a bit fuller and louder than the other responses (escpecially for electronic, hip hop, where you want to FEEL the bass) then lower the stand
- If you like tighter imaging, focussed sound, more even response, a bit more sparkle, raise it higher

As always, it helps to experiment with your setup as there are many other factors that will affect the sound. Its quite easy to grab a bunch of hardware of varying heights and do some A/B tests There is no need to spend big bucks on them fancy wooden stands
Yup no plans on buying $800+ wood stand. Ballistic blocks are only $20/ea and looks decent enough in our living room. My speakers are only 1ft away from the front wall and the right speaker is about 4ft away from the side wall. Left speaker has no side wall since it is open to dining area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page