Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfirelt View Post

Hello Gallo Folk.

Even though Sound Advice is going out of business, they're certainly not giving anything away. They still showed me the $700, $900, and $1,100 centers. This does not meet my definition of "reasonably priced".

Good to be back!

Which Sound Advise did you go to? I am near the Ft. Lauderdale store, I want to see what they have but it does not sound like they have the good clearance prices yet.
Steel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 PM

I went to the one in Ft. Myers. Lots of employees standing around BS-ing and nobody offering help. They must just be in cruise control waiting out their last days.

It was this weekend when I went in so I'm not sure when the next round of price cuts is coming. The prices they were offering were comparable to what you could get on Amazon. I'll have to keep checking back. Hopefully I can find a steal toward the end.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfirelt View Post

I'll be looking for a new center speaker to replace a rolling suicidal Gallo Micro.

Here's what I'm currently using.

4 Gallo Nuclei as fronts and rears (that I got for a stupid low price when Sound Advice stopped carrying them several years ago)

You can replace the Micro or jump up to the regular A'diva. There's sellers on E*** or authorized sellers can get them. Also, check on audiogon- new Gallo speakers pop up on a weekly to monthly basis.

If you're looking for something better, the new Strada line (~$800-900) is supposed to come out soon or there's the Reference AV.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Wanted to say how helpful this forum has been!! After reading review after review, reading everyones opinions on the speaker, and multiple A/B/C auditions....I placed the order for the 3.1s today!!! i cant wait
Thx to all !!!

.....now gotta find good equip to run these things
Old 11-28-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehul Trivedi View Post

Wanted to say how helpful this forum has been!! After reading review after review, reading everyones opinions on the speaker, and multiple A/B/C auditions....I placed the order for the 3.1s today!!! i cant wait
Thx to all !!!

.....now gotta find good equip to run these things

Congrats on your purchase! Follow the break-in instructions religously. It is painful but worth it. Try to get a high powered amp even if you just use a receiver as a pre-amp.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 AM

Going back to my last few posts and yes I know I said class D is the way to go, it still is, but my particular dilemma is regards to the more clinical sound class D delivers...
I've had a Sony S-Master Pro Class D amp, and although power wasn't an issue the sound was...hence my dilemma.
However, is there a potential bargain in the different sounding Citation 7.1 or not?
Being a fan of warmer sounding Marantz/Arcam products, the Citation 7.1 has me intrigued, being a HK product it should at least sound a bit warmer and not least, it does have the power required for the gluttony 3.1 Gallo's...
Due to this product being veered towards the american market and not the U.K., I guess there maybe more past and present owners here willing to pass on their comments.
Any comments or opinions on the Citation?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 AM

The search is over!
I've gone for the (ZED Audio)HK Citation 7.1, purely on the fact it can output a good wallop of dynamic peak power(130dB) and it' configurable from four, three to two channels for bridge mode...
The only downside is I'll probably have get another to power the rears..

Thanks for all your suggestions guys....
Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Looks like the new Gallos speakers are coming out. There is still very little about them on the Gallo website. http://www.roundsound.com/reference-5-ls-speakers.html
Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Only 19k per pair? Guess I'll have to rob a bank/win lottery first.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Only 19k per pair? Guess I'll have to rob a bank/win lottery first.

I'll stick with the 3.1's.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
KKM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mapleshade records made some pretty profound statements on the 3.1's in their latest catalog. First of all, their CD's are some of the best recorded and revealing, but not exactly the best artists, IMO. They indicate that the Gallo's are their reference studio monitors and that there are no under $20K speakers they prefer. In fact after some comparison, they go on to say that they put to shame JMLabs Utopias, Wilson WATT/Puppies, Sonus Faber Amatis, and B&W 800 Ds. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has made comparison with one of the above mentioned speakers.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post

Mapleshade records made some pretty profound statements on the 3.1's in their latest catalog. First of all, their CD's are some of the best recorded and revealing, but not exactly the best artists, IMO. They indicate that the Gallo's are their reference studio monitors and that there are no under $20K speakers they prefer. In fact after some comparison, they go on to say that they put to shame JMLabs Utopias, Wilson WATT/Puppies, Sonus Faber Amatis, and B&W 800 Ds. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has made comparison with one of the above mentioned speakers.

Just to reinforce I have been upgrading my upstream equipment with some very high end equipment. I have a Spectron amp and have just added a BAT pre-amp and CD player. The dealer I purchased the BAT equipment from also sells Wilson speakers. I mentioned to him that I might be interested in the Sophia's. He told me that I really don't need to hurry so impressed he was with the 3.1's. I would say that is quite a complement to the Gallo's.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

So, the 78 inch gallo towers have a bunch of 5 inch sub woofers on the back end of the towers? How much low frequency can you get from this array?

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Hey folks,

I'm checking in as yet another Ref 3.1 owner. I picked them up this summer and have had a good time breaking them in and integrating them into my system. Now I'm all set and just enjoying their world class imaging, sound staging, and disappearing act.

I've been a member here for several years, but have only posted on video. Probably because I'm less interested in video and so need more support and feedback. When it comes to audio, I've been in it (as a musician, sound reinforement, and stereos) for over 30 years. So by now I know what I like and I know to trust my ears. My eyes - well mostly I keep them closed while listening and playing I have also posted on Audiogon lately and I see several people here from there also. It's a small internet!

Dan
Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 AM

The following was e-mailed to me from Gallo Speakers.

Reference 5LS Specifications

Break in Extended break-in period 200 + hrs.

In room Frequency Response:
36Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB With boundary reinforcement

In room Frequency Response (W/SA Amp):
26Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB

Impedance
4-8 ohms / Minimal

Sensitivity:
90 dB/1 watt/1 meter

Power Handling:
500watts RMS unclipped music power. Minimum suggested power 20 Watts
Driver:

Seven - CDTII Tweeter's each have 300 degree horizontal dispersion. Strategically controlled vertical dispersion pattern.* see below

Eight - 4 carbon fiber mid-range drivers utilizing hyperbolic cone design in concert with a 4 layer voice coil assuring perfect integration to the tweeter array eliminating the necessity for any crossovers.

Twelve - 4 ceramic coated aluminum / polymer laminate subwoofer drivers.
A single inductor is utilized as a low pass filter and also insures the arrays are time aligned.

Dimensions:
78" (H) x 12.75" (W) x 16.5" (D)
Weight:
118lbs each

Connections:
5 way Gold plated brass binding posts for secure wire connection

Enclosure:
Speaker structure, spheres, spokes are all 304 alloy stainless steel
Finishes:
Brushed natural stainless steel
Warranty:
1 year parts and labor will extended to 5 years when product is registered. (within 60 days of purchase)
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice speakers - no price listed with all that detailed info?

Speaking of communications from Gallo - I'm wondering do most of you get any? I don't ever hear from them. In fact, when I mailed in my registration, I didn't get a response after several months. So I sent them an email to ensure they had received my registration cards and here is the only communication of any kind I've ever received from Gallo:

"Sorry for the delay on getting back to you on this. I have been notified that your cards are here so you are good.

Let me know if I can assist you in any other way.

Best Regards,

Derek Covin
Vice President National Sales
Anthony Gallo Acoustics"

Now usually I'm annoyed by spam from e/retailers, so I'm not complaining just curious how much everyone else is hearing from Gallo?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I was reading the 5LS announcement and saw that the mids are connected w/o an xover. I thought the Ref 3.1s were too and read as much in a couple of reviews. I've also read, the mids are connected through a capacitor. Gallo's website is confusing:

"For the ultimate in neutrality and transparency, the Reference 3.1 operates without a crossover across most of its bandwidth - from 125Hz to 35kHz."

"Upgraded Power Capacitors:
The Reference 3.1’s all-new metallized polypropylene capacitors offer greater dynamics and lower current."

This seems to imply no capacitor in the midrange (or tweeter for sure) but capacitors are usually used in the mid & high sections of crossovers. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of xover, if any, the Ref 3.1s have that can make sense of these seemingly conflicting statements?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Speaking of communications from Gallo - I'm wondering do most of you get any? I don't ever hear from them. In fact, when I mailed in my registration, I didn't get a response after several months. So I sent them an email to ensure they had received my registration cards and here is the only communication of any kind I've ever received from Gallo:

"Sorry for the delay on getting back to you on this. I have been notified that your cards are here so you are good.

Best Regards,

Derek Covin
Anthony Gallo Acoustics"

Now usually I'm annoyed by spam from e/retailers, so I'm not complaining just curious how much everyone else is hearing from Gallo?

Yea, I never heard back from them when I registered but they have always answered me promptly whenever I had a technical question. So I have nothing to complain about. If people look for that warm and fuzzy feeling of constant communciation I don't think you will get it from Gallo. That is fine with me, I want them concentrating on the important things...building speakers.

Regarding costs of 5LS speakers I believe they are going for around $20K, more or less.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I was reading the 5LS announcement and saw that the mids are connected w/o an xover. I thought the Ref 3.1s were too and read as much in a couple of reviews. I've also read, the mids are connected through a capacitor. Gallo's website is confusing:

"For the ultimate in neutrality and transparency, the Reference 3.1 operates without a crossover across most of its bandwidth - from 125Hz to 35kHz."

The Reference 3.1's all-new metallized polypropylene capacitors offer greater dynamics and lower current."

This seems to imply no capacitor in the midrange (or tweeter for sure) but capacitors are usually used in the mid & high sections of crossovers. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of xover, if any, the Ref 3.1s have that can make sense of these seemingly conflicting statements?

You should hop in your car and drive down to Chatsworth and take a look and listen. Then report back with your impressions. I'd go myself but heck, San Jose is closer than Boston.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

...snip...

I've never gotten any emails or calls from them except when I was purchasing my first set back in '94, and needed to coordinate what time I was going to meet Anthony at his apartment in Brooklyn to pick them up...

Yes I've been a Gollo fan/owner for a long time

Quote:

The Reference 3.1's all-new metallized polypropylene capacitors offer greater dynamics and lower current."

There are no capacitors used on the mid-range drivers, only the tweeters. They are used for level matching rather than frequency cut-off as in traditional drivers.

So much media, so little time...

Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Best Regards,

Derek Covin
Anthony Gallo Acoustics"

I have been in touch with them on many occasions about technical set up and other topics, Derek always returns email promptly.
Steel
Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have previously owned full Ref 3.1 setup with center. I had to move, and the Gallos didn't work optimally in the room so I decided to sell them.

Now I have SVS SCS-monitor looking stuff in my house and they play sweet, but I feel they aren't as good as the Gallos by far. For bottom-end I am using 2 of their 25-31 PCi tube-subs. They are tight as a drum and extend really deep.

I miss the Gallo sound and I am thinking of getting 3 x A'Diva ti as my mains and center, but I am afraid I will lose the impact of the SVS SCS' with 6 x 5.25" + 3 tweeters vs 3 x 3".

And is it possible to blend the A'divas with such powerful subs?

Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 View Post

I miss the Gallo sound and I am thinking of getting 3 x A'Diva ti as my mains and center, but I am afraid I will lose the impact of the SVS SCS' with 6 x 5.25" + 3 tweeters vs 3 x 3".

I haven't heard the SCS, but since you're coming from the 3.1s to the SCS, the A'divas might let you down. The A'diva Tis frequency response rolls off sooner on both ends than the SCS. Also, the largest issue I've found with the A'divas is that the dynamic range is lacking a bit at louder volumes- at low to medium volumes, they're fine, but as you listen louder, they just don't keep up as well as a larger speaker. However, if you're looking for the wide soundstage and vocals, they may be good enough for you.

Quote:

And is it possible to blend the A'divas with such powerful subs?

I've got them matched with a PB10, and they sound just fine, as long as you calibrate. I also have Micros with a SB12+, which I've been able to match better than the A'divas with the PB10. Either way, you should be fine here, but as stated above, you might be more limited in volume than your current setup.

Other possibilities are to try the Reference AV or wait for the new Strada line- I'm hoping the Stradas with a good sub are as good as the 3.1s alone, with better placement options.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:34 AM

Strada?

I listen to vocals and I feel the SCS are "holding back" vs the 3.1s. (Naturally...) But that might change as I am getting a more powerful amp next week; Onkyo 875 - hopefully it can make the SCS sing clearer.

EDIT: Google is my friend: Those stradas look like exactly what I am looking for, 3.1 with easier installment. When are the available?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM
rlw

Someone wondered:
"Who here does tube amps with the 3.1's? My guess is due to the tranparency and accuracy of the 3.1's, they'd be a perfect match for tubes. "

I have an all-Gallo surround sound system: Ref. 3.1 Fronts, Ref. AV Center, and Ref. AV for the Rears. This is all being driven by a Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 pre-processor feeding a Butler TDB-5150 tube/MOSFET hybrid amp. The amp has 150 watts/ch. all channels driven. I can tell you, without a doubt, that this combination sounds TERRFIFC. The tube sweetness married to the ballsy bass of the MOSFETS makes for a superb listening experience.

So, yes, you can drive your Gallos using tubes, just make sure it's a big tube amp with plenty of current.

FYI, shameless plug - I have a 4 month old TDB-5150 for sale. MSRP is $3295, I'm asking $1950 including shipping in the US...

-RW-
Old 12-22-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 View Post

EDIT: Google is my friend: Those stradas look like exactly what I am looking for, 3.1 with easier installment. When are the available?

There's been rumors that they were supposed to debut sometime between last summer and the end of the year. But if the delay in getting the new 5LS speakers are any indication (it took an extra 6 months or so longer for them to be listed under the Reference Speakers tab on their web site than when the dealer said they'll be available), then the Strada won't be out until 2nd quarter or so next year (just hypothesizing). Who knows when they'll be available to audition...?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Where can one buy the gallo ref 3.1s cheap, other than used? Please PM me.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Old 12-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

They are already very inexpensive for what you get. You may get a dealer to knock off a couple hundred bucks but that is probably the best you will find.

And then you can always look for that mysterious van in the alley giving a special deal on Gallo's.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

ebay

So much media, so little time...

Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Liked: 18
Originally Posted by elmalloc

Audiogon

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver