Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would think break-in would be similar or better. The Aluminum cone is probably more rigid than the 3.1's paper cone so that the surround will get a more direct work-out.

Looks... Filp a coin...

LL

So much media, so little time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

I would think break-in would be similar or better. The Aluminum cone is probably more rigid than the 3.1's paper cone so that the surround will get a more direct work-out.

Looks... Filp a coin...

Bottom line, at least for me, is sound. And I bet these are gonna be good. Just a feeling.
post #633 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
rlw

No grills (or burqas, as my friend Dave calls 'em) is a big mistake. I love the way my 3.1s look with the grills ON, the speakers disappear within. And, FYI, there are outriggers available for the 3.1s, I got a set for $100 and they work quite well:

http://www.soundocity.com/Gallo%20Reference%203.1.jpg

http://www.soundocity.com/products.html

http://www.soundocity.com/economical_products.html

-RW-
post #634 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean View Post

Bottom line, at least for me, is sound. And I bet these are gonna be good. Just a feeling.

They may be better but how much vs the 2X cost? The law of diminishing returns may be kicking in here. And I would feel very uncomfortable if the grills are not included. I keep mine off except during periods of heavy traffic but I want the option to install them. I would like to hear a side by side demo though.
post #635 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

I would like to hear a side by side demo though.

That may be difficult...

They sound much better...
It becomes hard to sell the leftover 3.1s

They don't sound much better...
They become hard to sell at 2x the price

post #636 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Think there is any chance to do some retrofitting to the Ref 3.1 such as a woofer upgrade if it really is that much better? I just wonder if there is a way to get some of the benefits for a much cheaper price then buying new 3.5's?
post #637 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Ten, 12 years ago I would have said it's probably doable...

Now I'm not so sure.

post #638 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the 3.5 has a second voice coil that requires the SA Amp?
post #639 of 2970 Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Looking at the image in this article the second set of binding posts is clearly visible.
For real details/specs I guess we'll have to wait a bit.

If the SA isn't needed to get the additional depth from the 3.5, in a way it lessens the price increase if you figure the MSRP of the 3.1 + the SA was about $4500

post #640 of 2970 Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Looking at the image in this article the second set of binding posts is clearly visible.
For real details/specs I guess we'll have to wait a bit.

If the SA isn't needed to get the additional depth from the 3.5, in a way it lessens the price increase if you figure the MSRP of the 3.1 + the SA was about $4500

Thanks for pointing out the second set of binding posts in the pic. It would make sense that Gallo would continue the second voice coil driven by the SA amp. The new 5LS system is setup for the SA so it would be tough to maintain the amp line for only the very high end speakers which will probably not sell in high volumes like the 3 series speakers. Besides, I have the SA amp and would like to use it.
post #641 of 2970 Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Hi Guys,
It may be to early to judge, but I think Gallo lost his marbles. I am a big Gallo fan but $6K is nuts for the 3.5's. There does not seem to be enough improvement on the 3.1's. The Outriggers look cheap imho and I cannot see them being more stable than any of the aftermarket stands I have seen for the 3.1's. The height and bass improvent can also be had with aftermarket stands. There seems to be no improvement or change mentions in any of the other drivers/tweeter, just the woofer.

As far as the woofer, what exactly is lacking from the 3.1 woofer that need replacing? It looks like it still needs the SA amp and is actually harder to drive than the 3.1 woofer.

Check out my custom Sound Anchor stands on page 4 of this thread. They weigh 50 lbs. each and are solid as hell. With an 8" lift. I cannot see the Outriggers outperforming these.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=805768&page=4

As for the Strada's, they too seem to expensive. Why get these instead of the AV's?
Steel
post #642 of 2970 Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Nice Steel.

I'm probably having something similar built for me by Scott Stein. P.S. I fixed the link.
I sent him the mock-up below to check on pricing.

The stock Reference stand will be screwed to this base which will then be filled with sand.
I think it should tighten up the sound nicely

P.S. The upper unit of the 3.5 is similar to the new Strada. So the mid enclosure is shaped differently from the 3.1 and it uses the new CDT III.
LL

post #643 of 2970 Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Get them Ref. 3.1s while supplies last

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #644 of 2970 Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Has anyone listened to the 3.5 prototypes? I'm wondering if I can do 2 of these for L/R front in a home theater surround setup and have enough bass without a separate sub.
post #645 of 2970 Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

I think most would agree that the 3.1 will get you there, so I would hope the "new and improved" will as well.

post #646 of 2970 Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Nice Steel.

I'm probably having something similar built for me by Scott Stein. P.S. I fixed the link.
I sent him the mock-up below to check on pricing.

The stock Reference stand will be screwed to this base which will then be filled with sand. I think it should tighten up the sound nicely

P.S. The upper unit of the 3.5 is similar to the new Strada. So the mid enclosure is shaped differently from the 3.1 and it uses the new CDT III.

Looks good. I use sticky tac between the stock plate and my stands. It is very strong and when lifted up, holds the weight of the stands.

We will have to see what the differences are between the CDT 2 and 3. I bet it is not worth $3k though...

When I heard about the 5ls coming out, suggested retail was $11k, then 13k, then 17k.. now it is at 19k. I thinkg Anthony is overshooting his reach with all the new speakers. They are incredible sounding, but will lose their "giant-killer" reputation with Giant pricing.
We shall see.
Steel
post #647 of 2970 Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicelee View Post

Has anyone listened to the 3.5 prototypes? I'm wondering if I can do 2 of these for L/R front in a home theater surround setup and have enough bass without a separate sub.

3.5 were fantastic but there was not a Ref. 3.1 to A/B. To me the Ref 3.1 is/was a one of the few true values in audio.

Depends on room size and acoutics as well your desired BASS levels.

A separate sub is always better for placment flexibility if nothing else.

Get a sub.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #648 of 2970 Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
So far the best thing about he Ref 3.5s is that they brought out all this information on different stands options for the Ref 3.1. I did not realize there were so many great stands available. Thanks to all for posting your stand pictures and links: they look great! And I'm now even more embarrassed by my retaining wall block stands. I'm definitely going to call Mr. Stein and class up my act.
post #649 of 2970 Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So they changed a voice coil, made some cosmetic changes to the cosmetics, and they removed the wood base for a uglier looking metal spider system and nearly doubled the price... I've had the 3s and the 3.1s and they are terrific speakers but I think Gallo expects us to drink a lot of kool aid to buy into the fact the 3.5 is worth that substantial increase in $$$. It's insulting. I think Gallo's gotten a bit too much attention and thus they think they can continue to inflate prices despite the horrible economy. These speakers are still made in China just like the 3.1's...

The 3.1 will be around for some time as Gallo is almost as bad as cary when it comes to product releases. the 3's were 6 months late, the AV center was 1 year late, the 5LS is 1-1.5 years late, and so I expect the 3.5 will not been seen untill 2010 anyway.

I was hoping for a more evolutionary change or an intermediate speaker between the 3.1 and the 5LS, like a 4 Something with a midbass driver to fill out that section a bit more.
post #650 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likecoiledsteel View Post

They are incredible sounding, but will lose their "giant-killer" reputation with Giant pricing.
We shall see.
Steel

That is exactly my point! Thats what made me first look into Gallo, their "giant killer" rep. I don't see these 3.5s being giant killers seeing as how little they changed. Some may say that the 3/3.1 was under priced for what it was, but that was the appeal of Gallo, getting so much bang for your buck. Same goes for the Strada, I felt the AVs were a little over priced, but these things at only a few hundred less? And then there is the 5LS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicelee View Post

I can already tell you without listening it is a bad idea. You can do it, but don't expect good results unless you amp the 2nd voice coil, even then any decent sub will perform better then the cost for the amp.
post #651 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

The 5LS pricing is a bad joke. No one I know will spend that kind of money for speakers, except for maybe my rich uncle from Dubai.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #652 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Well just because you don't know them, doesn't mean they aren't out there

There are plenty who will spend far more. Just look at brands like Avalon, MBL, Revel, Wilson, etc. that sell speakers for more than 5 times the price of the Gallo 5LS.

Not saying I'm one of them, though I wish I could afford to be , just that they are out there.

post #653 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I know next to nothing about the loudspeaker business but it's pretty clear that Gallo is moving up scale in their marketing and sales channels. They have had great success with their current line up and are looking to ride that wave to lower volume higher margin sales. Gutsy move in this economic environment. On the other hand, rich people may be more willing to spend money on non-essentials now than the average guy. Rich people are certainly less concerned about the price. So the trade-off would look something like 10K CUSTOMERS * $3K VS 5K CUSTOMERS * $6K.

Can't really blame Gallo for trying to cash in on success. It's their call on whether they want to be a mass market or a prestige company. As Bob was saying, they aren't very good at product launches... which you have to be to go mass market. So it's likely the right move for them at this time.

I'm just glad I got the Ref 3.1s when I did 'cause they sound great at a great price. And of course I wish AG great success in the future.
post #654 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

One of the things I've noticed in this thread is a lack of knowledge/understanding of Gallo's growth/development in the speaker industry. When Anthony started in the early/mid '90s he was a tiny operation trying to crack into "High-End". His offerings were the CDT topped Solo and Reference at ~$2,500 and ~$3,500 respectively. Then later in the '90s, the version 2 of those were released and the prices increased ~$500. These speakers were reviewed as well as, if not better than, the current Reference series, but not as broadly. Anthony Gallo Acoustics was a much smaller operation back then, so money, connections, and distribution, were all lacking. Then someone thought that Anthony was on to something, so they took Anthony and put some $$ behind him and had him alter his direction. The CDT topped Nucleus Solo and Reference were retired and the Nucleus Micro was released. This was the birth of AGA as we know it today. They sold a ton of Micro systems, and made good on the investments that were put behind Anthony and his ideas. Now, Anthony, with a larger more successful company behind him, is heading back to where he began. He wants to provide "High-End" performance at more reasonable prices. I haven't heard the new Reference 5LS or Reference 3.5, but I imagine that Anthony feels he has products far superior to the others at their price points. While $6k and $20K speakers may sound insanely expensive to most, those price points are still "entry-level" in the "High-End" market.

post #655 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

"He wants to provide "High-End" performance at more reasonable prices."

He was doing that with the 3 and 3.1. Now he provides slightly improved "High-End" performance at far less reasonable prices. The changes to the 3.5 from the 3.1 do not account for a 40% increase in MSRP!
post #656 of 2970 Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

The Tweeter has been changed, the mid cabinets if not the drivers have been changed, the woofer went from a paper cone to an aluminum cone.

Do you know what the cost difference is in the new components as compared to the old?

I don't but the new woofer looks far more expensive to me. I'm also curious to see what the street price will be when it's finally released. If Gallo is reading the negative reactions to the price increase, they may actually try to bring it down some.

P.S. I don't ever see myself being able to spend that much money on a pair of speakers. So even if they're worth it they are now out of my league.

post #657 of 2970 Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob53 View Post

"Now he provides slightly improved "High-End" performance at far less reasonable prices. The changes to the 3.5 from the 3.1 do not account for a 40% increase in MSRP!

And you know this because...

Instead of moaning and groaning about the "anticipated" price of the new 3.5's you should all thank your lucky stars that you got the fabulous 3 or 3.1 speakers at such a "resonable" price. I do.

It would be interesting to hear, without knowing much about the new 3.5's or not having listened to them, what all of you think the new price should be.

Myself I am anxious for the new 3.5's to come out. I will probably be one of the first in line to get a pair when they go into production (which, based on Gallo's history for new rollouts will unfortunately take forever). And I wrote Gallo and told them so.
post #658 of 2970 Old 01-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

You can bet your a** he reads this forum... Gallo's pricing history is always starts high and only goes up from there, very unlikely that he will lower it. By the way, it seems Anthony & Barryecohen are neighbors, both live in Jersey. maybe you should look him up and discuss his pricing trends.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #659 of 2970 Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Really? When did Anthony move to NJ? When I bought my Solos from him in '94 or '95 he was in Brooklyn. He had little to no distribution at the time, so I auditioned and picked up the speakers at his apartment.

post #660 of 2970 Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

"Instead of moaning and groaning about the "anticipated" price of the new 3.5's you should all thank your lucky stars that you got the fabulous 3 or 3.1 speakers at such a reasonable price. I do."

Amen. Just reinforces what a great deal they are
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page