Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2976 Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sounds like you got a great deal and great setup. When you're done finalizing your system, please let me know if you decide to sell the SA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2976 Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Sounds like you got a great deal and great setup. When you're done finalizing your system, please let me know if you decide to sell the SA.

Ain't sellin'! I got the amp at 64% discount, and I think it works fine.
post #723 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 AM

Not meaning to spam the thread, but are you all running AVR's on the 3.1s? Or are all of you just listening away to music?

Has anyone tried Arcam on their Gallos? I was thinking in terms of the FMJ-range.

I'd love to hear more tips regarding 2-channel gear that mate weel with gallo.
post #724 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 View Post

Not meaning to spam the thread, but are you all running AVR's on the 3.1s? Or are all of you just listening away to music?

Has anyone tried Arcam on their Gallos? I was thinking in terms of the FMJ-range.

Congrats on your purchase of the 3.1's. Now you have both volume and fine playback.

With the SA you can go any direction you like with amps, tubed or solid state. My personal favorite is the Spectron amp.
post #725 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM

I see that the Spectrons are power-amps - would you say the pre-amp part of the Onkyo is "good enough" for music and that power is whats lacking?

I read in the manual that they don't recommend more than 350 watts total - SA + Amp and the SA is 240 watt per channel and the Onkyo 140 = 380. Can the 3.1s take much more?
post #726 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:

I see that the Spectrons are power-amps - would you say the pre-amp part of the Onkyo is "good enough" for music and that power is whats lacking?

I read in the manual that they don't recommend more than 350 watts total - SA + Amp and the SA is 240 watt per channel and the Onkyo 140 = 380. Can the 3.1s take much more?

The Onkyo is fine for the Gallo's either as amp or to use as pre-amp.

As far as total watts I believe the key phrase is "any extended time". I have asked about this and I believe actual power usage and what is hooked up to the speakers are two different things. I will defer to someone who knows more about this to explain.

I have both the Spectron, 600 watts per channel, and the SA, 240 watts per channel, hooked up to my Gallos and I have not had any issues.
post #727 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM

In the waning days of the groundbreakingly awesome Ref 3.1, I have come upon a fantastic tweak for the little guys.

For background I replaced Ref 3/SA for B&W 803d w/ Sound Anchor custom 803d stands. Then I replaced the 803d's for Ref 3.1/SA and for a year I just parked the Sound Anchors in the garage. In reading many threads re. after-market stands for the Gallo's it occured to me that the Sound Anchors might be fun to try ( they really improved the 803d's ). My first concern was would they fit...answer--Yes!

Step One---I positioned the stand in exactly the same spots as the speakers and placed the speakers with the Gallo spikes on top of the stands. Bigger soundstage immediatey, a bit firmer bass, but not too defined across the entire bass spectrum. Also there was a weird midrange coloration. I played with changing the rake angle a little and it seemed to help. an interesting change overall, but after 3 days I was not convinced it was altogether better,
but I did enjoy the even more enhanced soundstage.

Step Two--- As per Sound Anchors instructions for the 803d's, I removed the Gallo spikes and placed the speakers right onto the stands ( a PERFECT fit ). I used the short Sound Anchor rear spike to achieve a tilt-back rake angle.

Result---Sonic NIRVANA!---WOW!

The bass, now imaged as well as the midrange and teble. It gave the entire low-end incredible definition and speed, almost total freedom from any overhang, and slam even better than before.

No midrange colorations were heard and the overall 3-d coherence, already close to perfect, got even better.

The sound now is just phenominal, and I encourage EVERY Ref 3 owner to try this tweak; in fact this up-grade goes well beyond mere tweak. It's essential.

The 803d stands are listed on the Sound Anchor web-site at $285pr.
My next experiment will be to listen without the SA for awhile, but regardless the 3.1's and the stands are married forever. I can now wait very patiently and happilyfor the 3.5's.

Regards,
DELP
post #728 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM

PS. I forgot to include my system info:

McIntosh MC402, C220, and MCD 301; Analysis Plus all Silver oval cables; Music Hall MMF 7; RGPC 400 Pro; and ASC and Echo Buster treatments.

DELP
post #729 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks, nice setup you've got there.

Has anyone tried cables from The Chord Company with Gallos? I am a bit of a cable "sceptic", but I am thinking of getting som reasonably priced cables, both SC and IC, but I don't know what affordable brands that mate well with them.
post #730 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
rlw

Liked: 14
Audiophile82 wondered:
>> Any opinions on A'diva Ti as center? Not worthwhile? <<

I don't think they'll have the timbre to mate properly with the Ref. series. I believe they'll be too light in the bottom-end. I have an all-Gallo surround setup and have had these experiences:

Started with the Ref. 3.1s up front with a Due at Center and for the surrounds. This sounded pretty good, and I was quite happy for a year or so. The Dues were a pretty good timbral match, but not stellar. I will say that vocals were quite good. The real complaint was in the bottom octaves, the Dues roll off pretty sharp below 100Hz.

I then came upon a good deal on some Ref. AVs ($1600/pr. delivered) and I jumped on it. These were placed in the system as surrounds, the Dues that were there were moved upstairs to the bedroom system - yowza! Having the Ref AVs in the surround positions really fleshed-out the bottom end - it actually sounded like I had done a subwoofer upgrade. I have them mounted directly on the wall with the tweeters about 5 ft. off the ground. This helps to raise the overall soundstage a bit and mounting them directly on the wall allows the speakers to make use of the wall as a backplane, enhancing the bass.

This was my setup for about another year until I came across a good deal on a new Ref. AV Center, $950 delivered including the uber-expensive stand. Wow, the system was *really* cohesive now. Side to side and front to back transitions were seamless, the timbre matching is damn near perfect. I have absolutely nothing to compain about, the system ROCKS!

The speakers are being driven by a Butler TDB-5150 tube/MOSFET hybrid amp: http://butleraudio.com/tdb5150.php Man oh man oh man, this Butler amp is the cat's ass!! It has 150 watts per channel of tube sweetness married to the speed and balls of the MOSFETs. This addition really made the speakers sing - the Gallos thrive on high current and the Butler has that in spades The system can play quite loud and yet it never seems like it's straining - like buttah, baby!

The imaging is rock-solid, the sweet spot is about a mile wide, and the tone characteristics are very smooth and sweet. I can actually sit to the left of the left front speaker and still hear a very credible and solid soundstage, the image does not collapse or shift.

Also, there is no tubby bottom-end - the bass response is fast, clear, and well-controlled. The top-end is very smooth, airy, and extended and is most certainly not harsh. The amp has a wide frequency response and power bandwidth: 20Hz to 20kHz (+/- 0.5dB) and Power Bandwidth is only down 3db at 50kHz - a *perfect* match to the Ref's wide frequency response.

And vocals, especially female vocals, are to die for. It sounds like Joni is right there in the room with you when she strums her guitar and purrs out the opening notes to Free Man In Paris. Honey, pack your bags and get out, there's a new love in my life! (I know she'll never read this and don't you dare rat me out )

I honestly think I have a system that I could be well-satisifed with until the day I die - I'm 53, hopefully I've 30+ years ahead of me to enjoy this crazy hobby. I'm hoping they make coffins big enough to hold the entire system!!

-RW-

Gallo Reference speakers: 3.1, AV, AV Center
Earthquake 10" Sub
H/K Signature 2.0 Pre-pro
Butler Audio TDB-5150, 5 channel, tube/MOSFET hybrid pwr amp
Oppo 981 Universal player
Yamaha KX-690 Cassette Deck
LinkSys Wireless MusicBridge
B&O BG 9000 Turntable
B&O MMC1/MMC2 Carts.
Gram Amp 2 Phono Preamp
Sennheiser HD-580 Headphones
Creek OBH-11 Headphone Amp
FiOS w/DVR
Hitachi 51" HDTV
post #731 of 2976 Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Good stuff RW! I agree the Refs 3.1s like power. Some folks run them with low power, but heck, AG demoed the Ref 3.5s with 1200 watts PER CHANNEL. I take that as a subtle hint that they are designed to sound best with big bad power amps.

Also agree that hybrid tube/SS makes a good combination. I have some of the earlier Musical Fidelity equipment which is all tubed at the line level and then bipolar for big tight bass grabbing power. Plus line-level tubes run cooler and so last much much longer than tube finals.

So many amps it's hard to say what is best. As Bean said, AG uses Spectron, so I'd say that's a top pick. RW's Butlers look fabulous! I love my Nu-Vista 300 and don't want to part with it, but man it would be great to hear these amps drive the Refs

Overall, I've been happy with Musical Fidelity. They make some great high powered and very musical integrated amps. The A5.5 and A1008 are a great place to start as they even come with an integrated DAC. The A1008 has a tube driven pre-amp.
post #732 of 2976 Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:

I use mine for both music and HT so I have some assorted equipment:

NAD T175 Processor
Rotel RSB 1075 5 channel amp
Custom built Tube Preamp with Home Theatre Bypass
and on loan, a class D integrated amp, but can't seem to recall the make at the moment. Just testing with this at the moment.

Normally for music, I use the Tube Preamp going to the Rotel Amp and I use the NAD for movies.

Probably I am 75% music and 25% movies

As far as the Arcam, I believe Gallo use to use their gear when out at Trade Shows so I believe they should mate pretty well.
post #733 of 2976 Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 AM

Thanks. The Onkyo has 2 x 140 watts so it has enough power, but when I tried Bryston 4BSST on them they grew considerably soundwise, but the Bryston is expensive.

How would some Ice-Power Class D mate up?
post #734 of 2976 Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Not an AVR, but I run a 4.0 system with an Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro, feeding two Audio Alchemy OM150 Amps. I'll some times swap my Audio Alchemy DLC for the 950 for a change of pace.

So much media, so little time...

post #735 of 2976 Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Yep... the 3.1's love big power. Everywhere I've heard them, they've always sounded best with amps, real high-current amps, of at least 150-200 wpc.
They just love my Mac 400 wpc amp, and that's with the SA also.

DELP
post #736 of 2976 Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go audiophile82:

http://emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

Buy 2 of these at a grand each and watch the lights flicker with the beat
post #737 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 AM

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing my first decent speaker system. Due to space and budget I am looking at "lifestyle" packages. As such Gallo, Bose, B&W (MT series) have all been suggested.

I'm looking to use the system for HT and music (things from classical to U2 to alternate rock). I was fairly set on 3 Advia Ti, 2 Nucleus and the TR1. I then read a review on HomeTheatreReview which stated that the subwoofer needs lots of tuning with the level, phase and crossover. Secondly, it noted that playing music like the Ramones meant the sound was harsh and raspy.

I understand that for every good review there is a bad review. So thought I'd ask people who have owned these speakers.

Is this system adequate? Is the bass good enough ?

Thanks.
post #738 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

How would some Ice-Power Class D mate up?

Look through this thread, a few of us on here use Icepower amps.

I have my 3.1s powered by icepower and feel it is the best they have ever sounded.

You can also search for reviews, many sites find icepower + Gallos a perfect match. 6moons comes to mind
post #739 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Never heard the TR-1 but I still have an opinion
You can read it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=694
post #740 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Is it true that there is no crossover between the 4" mids and the 10" driver on the 3.1's? If so, that means that the 4" mids have to handle very low frequencies which would limit how loud the speakers would get. Somebody told me this in another thread.

post #741 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt View Post

Is it true that there is no crossover between the 4" mids and the 10" driver on the 3.1's? If so, that means that the 4" mids have to handle very low frequencies which would limit how loud the speakers would get. Somebody told me this in another thread.

This is not correct. I believe the crossover is around 125hz. There is no crossover between the mids and tweeter.
post #742 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave, I have two answers for you.

1) I was under the impression that only xover component was an inductor to limit bass frequencies. I got this impression from a couple of reviews that say there is no xover for the mid-range or tweeter. Then I read this:

http://www.roundsound.com/reference-3-speakers.htm

which says there are capacitors in the xover. Caps pass high and limit low frequencies and are typically used for 1st order tweeter and midrange xovers. Now the Ref 3.1 CDT tweeter is based on piezo electric technology which does not need any crossover. So that leaves the mid-range. How there is more than one (the web page clearly says "capacitors") is beyond me. I've spent a good deal of time looking for the answer to this question without success.

Only options left are calling/emailing Gallo and asking them (not sure they will tell me), or taking mine apart and diagramming out the schematic.

2) Don't worry, the Ref 3.1s get really loud and sound really good playing loud.
post #743 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruming View Post

m for HT and music (things from classical to U2 to alternate rock). I was fairly set on 3 Advia Ti, 2 Nucleus and the TR1. I then read a review on HomeTheatreReview which stated that the subwoofer needs lots of tuning with the level, phase and crossover. Secondly, it noted that playing music like the Ramones meant the sound was harsh and raspy.

I understand that for every good review there is a bad review. So thought I'd ask people who have owned these speakers.

Is this system adequate? Is the bass good enough ?

Thanks.

Based on frequency response, I'd recommend forgetting the TR1 and going for something like the SVS SB12+. The SB12+ blends incredibly well with my Micros. If the SVS is too much, I'd go with one of the other recommended subs found in the sub forum at your price point.

Also, I'd recommend matching the Micro Ti with the A'diva Ti for a smoother sound stage, versus the regular Micro.
post #744 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 PM

Hello fellow Gallo owners. I have the Gallo 3.1's and the A/V reference center. I was just curious as to what cabling and interconnects some of you are using in your your system? Are there some good matches with for the Gallos? Right now my gear is a Bryston BCD-1 cd player, Bryston SP1.7 pre/pro, Sherbourn 5250A power amp. I'm using Tara-Labs for cabling and Ultralink Platinum series for interconnects.
post #745 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeisa View Post

Based on frequency response, I'd recommend forgetting the TR1 and going for something like the SVS SB12+. The SB12+ blends incredibly well with my Micros. If the SVS is too much, I'd go with one of the other recommended subs found in the sub forum at your price point.

Also, I'd recommend matching the Micro Ti with the A'diva Ti for a smoother sound stage, versus the regular Micro.

Hi Patdeisa,

Thanks for the reply. It certainly makes sense to have everything using the TI.

Having looked over more reviews and forums I had also come to conclusion that a different sub would be better. The issue being the only shop in Singapore that sells Gallo's only has Gallo subs, so matching the sub together may be tricky. Is there any recommendations when looking at frequency curves that would lead me to a good fit? The SVS may be a tad too much. I have seen some very good reviews of the Velodyne SPL-800R.

Being new to this, I'm guessing the crossover on the sub is tweaked to fit where the main speakers drop off ? Not exactly sure how the phase comes into play, but am hunting for good internet articles on this.

Thanks!
post #746 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Has anyone paired a Deonon receiver with a Gallo setup?

I have a good deal on the 1909 AVR so it looks atractive.

Thanks.
post #747 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go audiophile82:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a.../emotiva-xpa-2

300+ watts into 2 channels for $800 bucks. Get two and operate in bridged mode for 850+ watts per channel. That should wake up your Ref 3.1
post #748 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking the XP2 would make a great amp to drive the subwoofer voice coil on the Ref 3.1s. Need to look at some Class Ds, too, 'cause I know they have great natural bass output and control.
post #749 of 2976 Old 01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Dave, I have two answers for you.

1) I was under the impression that only xover component was an inductor to limit bass frequencies. I got this impression from a couple of reviews that say there is no xover for the mid-range or tweeter. Then I read this:

http://www.roundsound.com/reference-3-speakers.htm

which says there are capacitors in the xover. Caps pass high and limit low frequencies and are typically used for 1st order tweeter and midrange xovers. Now the Ref 3.1 CDT tweeter is based on piezo electric technology which does not need any crossover. So that leaves the mid-range. How there is more than one (the web page clearly says "capacitors") is beyond me. I've spent a good deal of time looking for the answer to this question without success.

Only options left are calling/emailing Gallo and asking them (not sure they will tell me), or taking mine apart and diagramming out the schematic.

2) Don't worry, the Ref 3.1s get really loud and sound really good playing loud.

The CDT uses a capacitor, not as a high-pass but as a volume control. The original CDT equipped; Solo, Reference, and Ultimate, speakers from Gallo ran this capacitor externally so that it could be swapped with different values to tune the high-end energy emitted by the CDT. I'm pretty sure that the mid-range drivers on the 3.x series Reference are run full range and only limited by their physical ability as to what frequencies they produce. The woofer has a low-pass so that it does not produce mid-range frequencies, as they would break-up being produced by such a large driver.

LL
LL

So much media, so little time...

post #750 of 2976 Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Well, I blew one of my mids on my 3.1's (got them replaced through warranty). I have a rather larger room (about 30'x30'). If the mids are running full range, I guess that could make sense. I sometimes like loud music, and almost always watch movies at high volumes. I even crossed the speakers over at 60 hz and ran dual MFW-15's for movies. I use an icepower amp (200wpc x 5 RMS). I have tried other speakers that get much louder, but don't sound quite as good as the gallo's. I currently have Salk Songtowers which are pretty decent for now, but I wish the gallo's got louder without risk of damaging them because I love the way they sound. I will probably try upgrading up the Salk line eventually. I may try Rockets, but I doubt they will match the sound quality of the 3.1's.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page