Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 2982 Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Barry,
thanks for your detailed and informative reply. I too have never heard the 3.1s with the sub being used to activate the second coil. From what I have read the jury is out on whether the difference is really worth the extra effort and expense.

It does sound like it will be worth upgrading my 3.1s.

R,
J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2982 Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

We didn't utilize a SA with any of the speakers, just a single Spectron amp running in stereo mode.

Does anyone know if Anthony's Spectron Musician amps (used at home or at shows) have either of the VCAP or bybee upgrades?

Just wondering if he feels that they make an audible difference on his speakers.
post #903 of 2982 Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Sorry I don't know.

So much media, so little time...

post #904 of 2982 Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:

The 3.5 is smoother sounding and more dynamic than the 3.1. The slam that they produced was just amazing. We were listening to a live jazz recording that was going pretty quietly and all of a sudden the drummer started pounding on the drum kit and it nearly knocked me out of my seat.

Hi Barry,

Do you know which recording it was? I think I would like to check it out and use it when I go listen to speakers in the shop... thanks
post #905 of 2982 Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Again, sorry I don't know.

I was so excited, to be there, hangin' out with Anthony and listening to his new stuff, that I was just enjoying the moment and listening, and not asking a ton of questions that didn't just naturally come up in our conversation. The recording was a good one, but it wasn't the type of music I normally listen to, so I didn't think to ask about it. I remembered to pack-up my Solos, but I forgot to bring a few of my own CDs with me that day... go figure!

post #906 of 2982 Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Again, sorry I don't know.

I was so excited, to be there, hangin' out with Anthony and listening to his new stuff, that I was just enjoying the moment and listening, and not asking a ton of questions that didn't just naturally come up in our conversation. The recording was a good one, but it wasn't the type of music I normally listen to, so I didn't think to ask about it. I remembered to pack-up my Solos, but I forgot to bring a few of my own CDs with me that day... go figure!

I can understand, it be quite a thing to be able to go to his place and listen to his latest speakers. Its only after you realize all the things you should have asked.

Back in the 90's, I was really looking for a pair of the Ref or Solo's but by the time I had a chance to afford them, they stopped production.
post #907 of 2982 Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone tried and compared other subwoofers than the TR-1/2 in co-op with 3.1? I have a pair of them, and they work just great, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have sub 20-hz response.

?
post #908 of 2982 Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Well the TR-1 is the bottom of Gallo's TR line of Subs.
The TR-3 is the new top of the line, it's more powerful and goes deeper.
One of them did a real nice job with a pair of Stradas when I heard it last weekend.

post #909 of 2982 Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Well, it doesn't provide that much, and 2 is better than 1. I will probably stick with the TR-1s, my dealer recommended them easily instead of the TR-2, he said it wasn't worth it in comparion.
post #910 of 2982 Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
KKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 View Post

Well, it doesn't provide that much, and 2 is better than 1. I will probably stick with the TR-1s, my dealer recommended them easily instead of the TR-2, he said it wasn't worth it in comparion.

Your choice is a good one, 2 subs are better then 1 and more musical. There's not that many musical instruments that go sub-20 unless you like organ music.
post #911 of 2982 Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the new Gallo speaker line-up. You are one lucky guy to spend an afternoon with the designer of your favorite speakers! WOW! I am still waiting for Anthony Michaelson of Musical Fidelity to invite me over to his place to listen all the latest and greatest equipment in the works

Seriously, though I have signed up for the Oppo BDP-83 Early Access Program, but so far no luck. I'm getting one as soon as it's available though to replace my aging modded Sony SACD player.
post #912 of 2982 Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I'm listening to a really cool sounding configuration.. but it may be difficult to explain. Probably best to start by looking at my profile and scan the equipment I own.

Done that? OK. So you see that basically I own two stereo setups. MF/Ref 3.1s in the front, Luxman/BillDans DIY in the rear. I've listened to stereo and MCH SACDs in this 4.0 configuration for years. Very enjoyable natural sounding stereo and surround sound setup.

So tonight for the first time ever, I listened to a stereo Redbook CD with both amps/speakers active. I'm amazed at how much it sounds like real MCH! I thought it would just sound like stereo only a bit or even a lot "fuller." But it doesn't - it sounds like multi-channel! I hear enough differences in the presentations between the front and back that I'd swear it was a nice discretely mixed MCH disc! OMG how cool is this!

I'm thinking it's because my two stereos are very different from each other. The baffleless Gallo's up front and the large bafflefull BillDan's in the rear. It's really amazing that I can easily sometimes pick out an instrument completely coming from the front or rear when for all practical purposes it should be coming from the side. I know this sounds like a crazy description, but it's really an awesome sounding setup!

It's just so cool! I'm going to having a blast playing though my CD collection with this setup. And mind you, I've listend to plenty of MCH SACDs, so it's not just that all four speakers are playing - I'm quite used to that. No, the systems are playing the same music with very different presentations that blend together in a wonderful way.

I know my setup is pretty unusual: two stereos and speakers that are very dissimilar. But has anyone else tried a configuration like this? Maybe you had a 5.1 amp and speakers that matched well. Don't care, I'd like to hear if you've ever tried something like this and did the result impress or depress you?

I mean right now I hear the drum kit in the rears and a guitar solo with organ accompaniment from the front. How the heck is that possible!? Oh WOW I am digging this If this is wrong I don't wanna be right!
post #913 of 2982 Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

I know my setup is pretty unusual: two stereos and speakers that are very dissimilar. But has anyone else tried a configuration like this? Maybe you had a 5.1 amp and speakers that matched well. Don't care, I'd like to hear if you've ever tried something like this and did the result impress or depress you?

I mean right now I hear the drum kit in the rears and a guitar solo with organ accompaniment from the front. How the heck is that possible!? Oh WOW I am digging this If this is wrong I don't wanna be right!

I have occasionally have tried to use multichannel for music and at first listen I enjoy it but that doesn't usually last and it starts to seem unnatural to me. Most of the time I will listen to my multichannel SACDs in 2 channel mode unless the multichannel mode is used to create more of the atmosphere. But if it I can hear a lot of the instruments from the side or rears then I play them in 2 channel mode.

But play it as you best enjoy it.
post #914 of 2982 Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM

This may be a silly question, but here goes. I have my ref. 3.1's in an ht setup, with a fantom center, and A'diva rears. Will the av reference for a center channel make a big difference in movies. I've strayed to almost 100% movies and tv, and no two channel anymore. Just curious, I hope it will make a difference, otherwise I may go with different speakers and a center for two channel. I like my gallo's, but seems to lack something and I'm hoping the center may fill that in. Sorry if this question has been asked, don't have time to look through all posts.
post #915 of 2982 Old 03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks jdc. I two am probably a 70% two channel listener. As you say, even with MCH SACDs, I will listen to many of them in stereo. This is particularly true of early rock albums. There is just not that much going on and it almost always sounds better from the two front speakers.

But what I'm describing is different because the source is two channel redbook - but I'd swear it's MCH! It sounds very good and not at all like expected which was like stereo only fuller/louder. It doesn't - it sounds like MCH. Not sure if I'll tire of this sound or not. Guess I'll just have to spin a ton of disks this weekend and find out. Well, someone has to do it
post #916 of 2982 Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

skistud (),

If you're only watching movies, a center may be worth your while.
Myself I don't find it necessary as the Gallos image so well. It may also help that my screen, when down, is in front of my speakers and wider than they are spaced apart.

Styln,

I'm not a fan of sitting in the middle of the band as they play in a circle around me.
If more than just ambiance, or sound effects if warranted, come from behind me I find it distracting. You may begin to find it odd when certain notes of an instrument seem come from in front of you while others come from behind.

Keep us posted

post #917 of 2982 Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Barry - yes I am probably more tolerant of "being in the middle" of the sound as I played in both rock and jazz bands for many years. So having music come at me from everywhere is very natural.

That said, one note front then another from the back WOULD bother me. But that is not what is happening. For whatever reason, it' full on instruments that come from either the front or rear. Some very cool psycho-acoustic effect I suppose. I do like it and I'm very surprised how stable the instruments are (not panning around).

Styln

PS Happy Birthday!
post #918 of 2982 Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks bud!

post #919 of 2982 Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Barry - yes I am probably more tolerant of "being in the middle" of the sound as I played in both rock and jazz bands for many years. So having music come at me from everywhere is very natural.

Styln

See, I can not play any instruments so I am only use to sitting in front of the performance and listening to the natural reverb and the audience sounds.

I love going to small clubs to listen to jazz bands, what do you play?
post #920 of 2982 Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

jdc - I don't play anything any more - but I do make a good living

Through high school & college I played bass guitar and baritone saxophone. Played in the school bands, and private rock and jazz bands. There was plenty of "work" as I was in a medium sized college town. Always had fun, always made money, always spent the money on equipment, roadies. transportaion (the truck/gas), motel rooms, sound man/reinforcement, light man, women, and beer, rent, other band members (not necessarily in that order).

Rock bands were small, but had high overhead costs. Jazz bands were large, so $ per person were low. Great fun, lots of music and great memories, but on a dollar per hour basis (yes, you have to practice regularly) it just never paid off for me.

Back on theme - So you can see why I still consider hearing music behind me as "normal"
post #921 of 2982 Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Hi again guys,

This thread has moved on a bit since my last visit...
I've been looking into maybe getting a couple of McIntosh components to go with my Gallo 3.1s(CDP-MCD301/Amp MA?) I just wondering if there'a any other Gallo owners out wishing to share their thoughts on Mcintosh amps and which would be one to go for?

Cheers
Andy.
post #922 of 2982 Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysb View Post

Hi again guys,

This thread has moved on a bit since my last visit...
I've been looking into maybe getting a couple of McIntosh components to go with my Gallo 3.1s(CDP-MCD301/Amp MA?) I just wondering if there'a any other Gallo owners out wishing to share their thoughts on Mcintosh amps and which would be one to go for?

Cheers
Andy.

I am not a McIntosh expert but I do know they build wonderful audio equipment. Looks like you want to go integrated. I would go with the MA7000 if it was my money and I could afford it.
post #923 of 2982 Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Hi Andy,

I have considerable experience using the Ref 3.1's with various McIntosh components. I have Mac and the 3.1's at home and I have been a Gallo and Mac dealer for over 5 years, selling and demoing many combinations.

I can literally say that my home system is the best I have ever heard the
3.1's, including Anthony's set-ups at CES shows. I use all McIntosh electronics and all Analysis Plus silver cabling, RGPC power conditioning, and ASC and Echo Busters room treatments. The Mac stuff is a MCD 301 cd player, C220 tube pre-amp, and MC 402 400wpc power amp.

This rig just sounds stunning. Jaws drop every time someone new hears this system. The Ref 3's and the Mac gear bring out the best in each other. The sound is smooth yet with very good detail, outstanding dynamic range with exceptional attack and decay, and some of the best 3-Dimensional sounstaging I've ever heard.

The Gallos just love that big amp! I also use the SA, so the speaker is exposed to over 600wpc---they never break a sweat, and neither does the MC 402. Any of the Mac solid state integrateds will be just fine, but the models with the autoformers ( MA 6600 and the MA 7000 ) sound the best.
The tube integrated runs out of steam too early for my taste, but the staging is amazing, not so much the dynamics.

I hope this helps...good luck.
post #924 of 2982 Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM

For what it's worth, hearing the 3.1s on an all mac system with MC402, C2300 and MCD301 convinced me to purchase the 3.1 against stiff and much more expensive competition. There is definitely synergy here.
post #925 of 2982 Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does any one have any experience running their 3.1's with an Emotiva xpa-3 or 5?

I am considering these amps and would appreciate your comments, especially how they compared to what you had before.

Also, do you think that 200-250w is enough to nake the 3.1's really sing?

Thanks much.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #926 of 2982 Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 AM

I recently ran 2 x 250 watt Class D + Ref SA Amp for the 2 nd coil and that made them REALLY sing. Man, they love power.

I'd recommend Ice power or Hypex UcD of some sort as it is a technology far better than class ab when running difficult loads and at delivering current. The SQ is bar none IMHO. The Hypex UcD I used played better on the 3.1s than Bryston 4BSST or Coda CS300 could in here.

Happy hunting!
post #927 of 2982 Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Repdetect,

I am currently running my 3.1's with the xpa 5. I don't really have much to compare it to, since I bought them both around the same time. I have a/b'd the emotiva, and the onkyo 876 which I use as a prepro. I first hooked them up to the onkyo, then to the emotiva and there is no comparison. I'm still impressed with the xpa 5, everything sounds worlds better, compared to just the receiver, and I don't think you can beat it for the price. I do wish I had a little more power, but again, for the price I couldn't pass it up.
post #928 of 2982 Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistud07 View Post

Repdetect,

I am currently running my 3.1's with the xpa 5. I don't really have much to compare it to, since I bought them both around the same time. I have a/b'd the emotiva, and the onkyo 876 which I use as a prepro. I first hooked them up to the onkyo, then to the emotiva and there is no comparison. I'm still impressed with the xpa 5, everything sounds worlds better, compared to just the receiver, and I don't think you can beat it for the price. I do wish I had a little more power, but again, for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks skistud07;

One more question,

About what size is your listening room?

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #929 of 2982 Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Hi guys,

Anthony's publicist here. We got Anthony Gallo Acoustics up on Facebook and we encourage everyone to sign up as fans.

It won't let me put the link because I don't have three posts on here, but you can go to Facebook.com and type in "Anthony Gallo Acoustics" in the search bar and it will come up.

Also, if you have pictures of your Gallo speakers that you want me to get up on the page, just email them to me and I'll post them with credit.

micahw@feverpitchmedia.com

Look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
post #930 of 2982 Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Finally I got my three posts so I can post a link! Here is a link that will get you to Anthony Gallo Acoustics' Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anthon...d66e5de9&ref=s

We'll be posting as much information as possible to keep everyone posted on what the company is up to. Promotions, upcoming products, pictures of upcoming products...you name it, we want to keep our loyal customers in the loop.

Thanks guys!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page